• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SkylineRKR

Got to Godrick finally. That castle is the most intricate design place ive seen in a while. Apparently there is an underground place as well that I dont know how to access. As for the grafted one, he bleeds like mofo. Got him to half health through bleed proc. Need some fire protection.

I found him easy once I stopped using the NPC, as it will halve your damage as usual. I was level 32 ish. There is a fire protection talisman, but after the cutscene just run behind him and slash away. Everytime he uses flamethrower its wise to do so, which is why you shouldn't be too far from him. Unless he shoots upwards but that easily avoided. This guy generally has much more openings than Margit, even greatswords are viable.

The underground place I also finished. I think there is only one, its

behind the closed door next to the lift bonfire/site of grace

The castle is awesome. You can also initiate some in-fighting there.

Last edited:
I always want to use whips in games but they are usually utter shit.
I can understand if you don't like them for PvE purposes, as they take getting used to and their playstyle is somewhat anti-aggression based. I do however recommend whips for PvP. In previous souls games they've been great for throwing off other players and taking out invaders, as most people don't expect the whip and it's moveset is hard to read.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I can understand if you don't like them for PvE purposes, as they take getting used to and their playstyle is somewhat anti-aggression based. I do however recommend whips for PvP. In previous souls games they've been great for throwing off other players and taking out invaders, as most people don't expect the whip and it's moveset is hard to read.

Whips are fun and I also found another one called the Urumi with a different moveset and has better DEX scaling starting off.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Barely ever did pvp in souls games, i'm just not good enough.

For pve both moveset and damage were always subpar.

Last time i enjoyed a whip in a game was dead cell or darksiders 3.

Pejo

So yesterday after coming back to Margit after 15 hours or so exploring and getting stronger, I deleted him in about a minute. What a huge difference vs. going there directly at the beginning of the game. That really put the whole game into perspective for me on just how much freedom you have on how and when to approach things. Afterwards, I put in about 6 hours JUST exploring Stormwind castle. What an absolutely massive stage with a ton of splitting paths and things to explore. I even found an optional boss that I haven't heard much about in this thread giant tree monster in the muck below the castle who pushed my shit in a few times until I ran past him and collected items and escaped. Coincidentally, I think he's the same boss that was pushing my shit in at the bottom of the mechanized chariot puzzle behind the sword key door in the starter area. I have a real issue doing large bosses that fuck with the camera really badly when locked on to.

Anyways, I feel pretty confident that I got about 90% of everything done in Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, so now I need to decide if I want to move north or east. I'm thinking north since it seems to be sorcery themed and I'm running a magic samurai build.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So yesterday after coming back to Margit after 15 hours or so exploring and getting stronger, I deleted him in about a minute. What a huge difference vs. going there directly at the beginning of the game. That really put the whole game into perspective for me on just how much freedom you have on how and when to approach things. Afterwards, I put in about 6 hours JUST exploring Stormwind castle. What an absolutely massive stage with a ton of splitting paths and things to explore. I even found an optional boss that I haven't heard much about in this thread giant tree monster in the muck below the castle who pushed my shit in a few times until I ran past him and collected items and escaped. Coincidentally, I think he's the same boss that was pushing my shit in at the bottom of the mechanized chariot puzzle behind the sword key door in the starter area. I have a real issue doing large bosses that fuck with the camera really badly when locked on to.

Anyways, I feel pretty confident that I got about 90% of everything done in Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, so now I need to decide if I want to move north or east. I'm thinking north since it seems to be sorcery themed and I'm running a magic samurai build.
I stumbled across that boss too. First in the castle and later in the dungeon. Haven't tried to fight it yet though. Pretty sure I missed a section or two in the castle and need to go back.

fashion souls struggle is real

0ca78c6a-020e-4768-98a1-aa28b9fc6ce4.png

299405ad-959f-47dd-9369-35a74bf5fbbe.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Isn't the fashion aspect kinda lame? I'm wearing the kight armor that you can buy at the Round Table, and so far all the armors I found weren't better, but different. For example: I have the armor set of the enchanted knight class of the network test, and instead of being better or worse, it just has worse phys and better mag def.

So far this reminds me of Bloodborne. I spent that whole game wearing the same clothes, so I hope it really isn't the same.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Isn't the fashion aspect kinda lame? I'm wearing the kight armor that you can buy at the Round Table, and so far all the armors I found weren't better, but different. For example: I have the armor set of the enchanted knight class of the network test, and instead of being better or worse, it just has worse phys and better mag def.

So far this reminds me of Bloodborne. I spent that whole game wearing the same clothes, so I hope it really isn't the same.
There are more armor sets later in the game, and even more as rare enemy drops.

Is there any way to fire the bow from your left hand while on horse?

I would prefer to have bow on left hand slot and sword on right hand a lot, but it seems like the bow also needs to be binded on right hand to be used from horse

Pejo

I stumbled across that boss too. First in the castle and later in the dungeon. Haven't tried to fight it yet though. Pretty sure I missed a section or two in the castle and need to go back.
There's a 1 way door that leads into a site of grace (the liftside chamber one I think) that I still haven't figured out how to unlock. I spent a long ass time looking too.

G-Bus

Banned
Holy fuck Margit. Think I need to go grind out some levels. Simply do not hit this guy hard enough. Even with the sorcerer helping me it's a bit of a doozy.

Easily best souls game I've played. Open world is amazing.

wolywood

Haven't gotten too far into the ER yet, but I was glad to hear that just like in the Soulsborne games every NPC speaks in a creepy/soft breathy voice that makes them all sound like Salad Fingers.

Just finished the castle and smoked Godrick the Grafted (who sometimes sounds like Gilbert Godfried).

I think getting to the boss was harder than the boss itself. God knows how much harder this game is going to get, it's already pretty damn hard and it's still relatively early days. Actually I got a taste of what's to come when I teleported to this mine with these evil bugs guarding a bunch of miners. Could barely hurt them.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Guess I lost all the stuff I played yesterday. Cleared a couple smaller dungeons. Looks like my save has reverted back a ways. Oh well. Was about 2.5 hrs playtime, so not the end of the world I guess.

ssringo

Gold Member
Is there any way to fire the bow from your left hand while on horse?

I would prefer to have bow on left hand slot and sword on right hand a lot, but it seems like the bow also needs to be binded on right hand to be used from horse
Have you tried using the 2h command for offhand while on horseback? Triangle + L1 iirc. (Not at home to check)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Has anyone managed to get to the plateau thats on the sout-west corner of Liurnia? I can't manage to get up there.

There are more armor sets later in the game, and even more as rare enemy drops.
Glad to read that! My knight armor set looks cool enough, but I wouldn't mind having more options. :)

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
this must be a really rare drop as I've killed like 100 of those things

I need to learn how to craft that item that increases item drop
I'm pretty sure it made a weird noise when it dropped. I was farming them for the weapon upgrade stones. I don't think I got up to 100 killed tho. I cleared the place maybe 10x.

WoodyStare

There's a 1 way door that leads into a site of grace (the liftside chamber one I think) that I still haven't figured out how to unlock. I spent a long ass time looking too.

It took me a while too, but if you’d like to know:

Travel to the Secluded Cell and run straight up the ramp, make a right, then run towards the end. There’s a ledge you can jump on that leads you to the area.

Last edited:
Just beat
Morgot
last night. Great battle. Plan on finishing my ps5 mage run by Friday and then continue by Xbox strength run next week.

Last edited:

Pejo

Just beat
Morgot
last night. Great battle. Plan on finishing my ps5 mage run by Friday and then continue by Xbox strength run next week.
Do you mean Magrit or Demi-Human Queen Margot? Either way you still have quite a bit to go, not sure how much playing time you have between now and Friday but that's going to be a test for sure.

Lunarorbit

Yeah I rage deleted the game. Eventually got back to it cause the game does have a grip on you (I never liked previous souls games cause they are too "stuff").

Right now I'm level 47 and discovered the map quite a bit. Didn't kill the boss of Stormvale yet. I changed classes, confessor with starting weapon +5 converted to holy thanks to ashes of war.

Now I quit the game as often as I can to prevent data loss.

It's critical that they fix this bug though, seeing as even your TV sleep settings can shut down your console if you don't pay attention to it.
I just saw that last night with the TV. Just bought a new LG and when I turn it on with the remote provided it starts up the ps5. Might have to use the cable remote.

I'm in a similar place as you in the game but level 30 as a vagabond. My friend had a glitch where he couldn't get the summoning bell so he kept restarting the game and switching between online and offline play.

To me this is just the world of games now, at least during the first week.

iorek21

Valiant Gargoyles are the sole proof that From didn’t know how to balance bosses in Elden Ring. It’s obvious that this is a reference to the Belfry Gargoyles, but the thing is, the second one to spawn had no wings and half health, unlike this bullshit that they keep throwing at you here.

Lunarorbit

No way journos beat this game and put up a legit review. Way too much content. They probably did ok in limgrave or whatever and reviewed based on that.
I've been thinking about that too. I think the amount of hours played on a reviewed game should be a industry standard for games journalists. I'm totally OK with someone who plays for 80 hours but doesn't beat it giving a review. Something catastrophic could happen in the endgame of these reviews but generally if you're that engrossed in the world to play 80 hours I trust you

Even the hot Korean dancers on twitch are actually playing this game, now they don't dance anymore :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:.......and they're actually better than me :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Graciaus

So I'm about 43 hours in. The game is amazing I've explored a huge part of the map and killed what I assume is 3/5 of the rune bosses. But I can tell I'll never replay this. Which is sad since I've beat all the souls games multiple times.

SCB3

vhOWlVN.jpg

Elden Ring creator Hidetaka Miyazaki says that while dying a lot in From Software games is now part of the studio's "identity", he is keen to "make death enjoyable".
The thing is, I get why people want an easier mode, but the game ( and all Souls games / From Software ) does give you options, either via summons, OP builds, the ability to overlevel via a grind etc

I suck at them, it takes me a lot of effort to get through, I've cheesed bosses, summoned and helped others through harder bosses, hell look at my Posts about Demons, Returnal and Hades on here alone in the last few months and you'll see that progression from utter despair to the fantastical elation when I make it through.

That is Souls to me...

For Soulsborne games to lose that difficulty would be a disservice to all fans and this genre in general, can it be done sure, look at SW Fallen Order, but I'd rather it be done the way Souls does via difficulty curves through learning, and yea I'm including the random bullshit that can happen!

Edit: I've been watching Distortion2 play through a bit of the late game areas whilst grinding out for Destiny's new raid and some of these bosses go nuts! I'm not looking forward to that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom