• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

So I'm about 43 hours in. The game is amazing I've explored a huge part of the map and killed what I assume is 3/5 of the rune bosses. But I can tell I'll never replay this. Which is sad since I've beat all the souls games multiple times.
That's how I'll probably be as well. I put like 80 hours into BOTW and will probably never replay it. I can see myself doing the same with ER.

The thing is, I get why people want an easier mode, but the game ( and all Souls games / From Software ) does give you options, either via summons, OP builds, the ability to overlevel via a grind etc

I suck at them, it takes me a lot of effort to get through, I've cheesed bosses, summoned and helped others through harder bosses, hell look at my Posts about Demons, Returnal and Hades on here alone in the last few months and you'll see that progression from utter despair to the fantastical elation when I make it through.

That is Souls to me...

For Soulsborne games to lose that difficulty would be a disservice to all fans and this genre in general, can it be done sure, look at SW Fallen Order, but I'd rather it be done the way Souls does via difficulty curves through learning, and yea I'm including the random bullshit that can happen!
Yea, it's so insanely dumb that a certain segment of gamers call for an EASY mode.

The logic doesn't add up. They want an EASY mode so they can experience the game... How long will it take for them to realize that you simply can't experience the game on EASY. The bulk of the experience is the difficulty. If you want the other part of the experience (art direction), watch a Let's Play.

I'm pretty sure it made a weird noise when it dropped. I was farming them for the weapon upgrade stones. I don't think I got up to 100 killed tho. I cleared the place maybe 10x.
I was looking up tips on farming the cat mask and I found this…

D0-ED5-B22-A781-485-A-AB36-B87-ED0-DB02-C6.png

I typically try to avoid spoilers but it just seemed too badass with my samurai armor

I managed to grab it and found out it adds +2 to endurance

Fashionable and practical, I love it

Pejo

I'm not saying I regret focusing on DEX/INT for my first playthrough, but after seeing a LOT of early game stuff geared towards Faith for some really unique spells and effects, it's got me looking at that FTH stat every time I level up. Then again, diluting my builds is a staple of a first blind run of a Souls game for me personally. Just fucking my damage right up.

gioGAF

This game is amazing! I'm still in the first area (Limgrave), but I am enjoying it immensely thus far. I am playing it unpatched offline and no issues so far (PS4).

Some random comments:
- Finally found a vendor that stocks arrows! I ran around forever with a Short Bow which I couldn't use (no ammo), then found the Long Bow, but still no arrows. Bows are so good in this game (PvE).

- Spirit Ashes are awesome! They remind me of the old Dragon Quest 8 familiars. My favorite one so far is the "Skeletal Militiaman Ashes". They are pretty aggressive with their spears and even revive after being downed. It edges out the "Lone Wolf Ashes" for my go to summon.

- While I haven't been able to fully delve into the weapons since I am still early in the game and my stats are low, I am settling on some favorites. Lordsworn's Straight Sword (new Lothric Knight Straight Sword?) has been solid all-around. I also finally got a usable spear (Partisan). Allows for good spacing, which has been helpful against humanoids like NPC invaders. I'm currently using the Warpick as my "strike" damage weapon and just got the Mace, which I'm still iffy on because the Warpick is so light. I suppose there will be no Leo Ring shenanigans with the Warpick this time, since it is no longer a "thrust" damage weapon.

- I haven't been able to test out any of the magic / incantation spells. Don't have the stats for it for the most part. I'm sure there will be some great ones as usual.

- I'm not finding much in the realm of upgrade materials. All of my weapons are not upgraded. I'm hoping to find a good farming spot soon. Makes it hard to choose how to spend the 3 shards I currently have.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Is it worth getting the deluxe edition for the soundtrack? I'm big on music. And I don't see the soundtrack on Apple Music or anywhere else to straight up buy ...

But since I don't have the game I don't know if I would want to listen to the music outside of the game. Any thoughts? I honestly don't want to scour 50 pages of this topic ...

Dr Bass

Yea, it's so insanely dumb that a certain segment of gamers call for an EASY mode.

The logic doesn't add up. They want an EASY mode so they can experience the game... How long will it take for them to realize that you simply can't experience the game on EASY. The bulk of the experience is the difficulty. If you want the other part of the experience (art direction), watch a Let's Play.
I made this same argument about adding a save function to Returnal and a lot of people disagreed. After finishing it without it though, I thought adding a save state would ruin the feeling of accomplishment.

So I agree. No easy mode. If there was one, it's just not "the game."

It's stuff like this that are ridiculous.... This game has so many issues and bad animations and clear flaws there's no way I can even say it's the best souls game.

This game has made me think though that it would be amazing if FromSoft made a Demon Souls mmo though.
You should just replay the Matrix Demo if high frame count animations and cutting edge lighting effects are the most important factor in what makes a great game (or in this case G.O.A.T. game)

This game is amazing! I'm still in the first area (Limgrave), but I am enjoying it immensely thus far. I am playing it unpatched offline and no issues so far (PS4).

Some random comments:
- Finally found a vendor that stocks arrows! I ran around forever with a Short Bow which I couldn't use (no ammo), then found the Long Bow, but still no arrows. Bows are so good in this game (PvE).

- Spirit Ashes are awesome! They remind me of the old Dragon Quest 8 familiars. My favorite one so far is the "Skeletal Militiaman Ashes". They are pretty aggressive with their spears and even revive after being downed. It edges out the "Lone Wolf Ashes" for my go to summon.

- While I haven't been able to fully delve into the weapons since I am still early in the game and my stats are low, I am settling on some favorites. Lordsworn's Straight Sword (new Lothric Knight Straight Sword?) has been solid all-around. I also finally got a usable spear (Partisan). Allows for good spacing, which has been helpful against humanoids like NPC invaders. I'm currently using the Warpick as my "strike" damage weapon and just got the Mace, which I'm still iffy on because the Warpick is so light. I suppose there will be no Leo Ring shenanigans with the Warpick this time, since it is no longer a "thrust" damage weapon.

- I haven't been able to test out any of the magic / incantation spells. Don't have the stats for it for the most part. I'm sure there will be some great ones as usual.

- I'm not finding much in the realm of upgrade materials. All of my weapons are not upgraded. I'm hoping to find a good farming spot soon. Makes it hard to choose how to spend the 3 shards I currently have.
Are you willingly playing it offline? If so, you shouldn't. The bloodstains aren't working for whatever reason but playing online is great. All the messages and stuff are pretty useful and if you write a message and someone appraises it, your health bar will refill.

Bloodstains were working last night for a bit but went out again, I'm sure they'll be fixed in due time, it's such a big part of the experience.

Is it worth getting the deluxe edition for the soundtrack? I'm big on music. And I don't see the soundtrack on Apple Music or anywhere else to straight up buy ...

But since I don't have the game I don't know if I would want to listen to the music outside of the game. Any thoughts? I honestly don't want to scour 50 pages of this topic ...
I wish I did in hindsight. Not that I'd listen to it much, I just want to give FROM more money and their twitter guy refuses to give me their paypal address.

Majukun

What got taken away? The combat and build variety has improved, there are plenty of bosses and several huge linear dungeons on top of the open world.
enemy placement and level design.
now you can straight up just avoid some encounters by just going aroubd them

while in previous games you would still be able to run and avoid some enemies, especially in the runs from the last bonfire to the fog gate, it was never to this degree

The_hunter

Finally for my collectors edition in the mail! Played an hour of the ps4 version on my ps5, 60 fps but the game looks like poop, basically no grass and blurry trees, going to try the ps5 version next.

Edit: want to retract my statement, game looks great on the ps4 version.

Last edited:

Braag

Those big bears in the forest area are ugh, so annoying.
Enormous HP pool, hit like a truck. super fast and even have a ranged attack. Like wtf...
They're not impossible to beat but it takes fucking forever and just isn't worth it to engage with them at all.

Also that poll needs a "Racing games suck" option.

Last edited:
Man, after finally getting through stormveil castle and into the second area I'm starting to get a sense of the scale of the game. I decided to go back and explore a bit and realized there's still a massive part of the first area I haven't checked out yet.

Found that whole awesome beach area with a bunch of unique enemies just for that little area - like all areas - then I got transported to the eastern zone of Limgrave and it has an awesome forest vibe. I haven't even set foot in Liurnia and that incredible vista that greets you when you get there. And then there are like three more zones.

Was also really nice to get that +8 sword after finishing the castle. And I'm finally making progress with improving my flasks and getting to a decent level. The game really is amazing.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yes, they do. Theres not a single game in history other than this that both performed and looked like such shit and still got such high scores. Zelda is excused because of the hardware it's released on. I dont know why From gets such a huge pass.

You love the game, thats great im happy for you. But how much better would it be if it looked like Horizon? When a developer delivers on all fronts, thats when you approach materpiece status. You cant sit there and tell me the experience wouldn't be enhanced significantly.

As for TLOU 2, thats my GOAT, nothing close imo - I would definitely not appreciate the game as much as I do if it looked like shit. The graphics enhanced the atmosphere significantly, same goes for HFW.

I'm sorry, but this is just...such a bad take. The performance isn't ideal, that's for sure, but I'm having pretty much zero issues on PS5. But the real issue is your taste in graphics. Elden Ring outclasses Horizon and TLOU in art style to such a degree it's almost comical. Those games have great graphical fidelity, but TLOU is just photorealism (boring as fuck in other words) and Horizon is a fucking eyesore to look at. It's an over saturated visual mess. Like a tech demo made into a game. Just visual density in the worst possible way. A novelty of hardware power that is absolutely impressive, but wears off quickly. I played the first one and that's reason enough for me not to play the sequel.

I've put 30 hours into Elden Ring and I'm constantly seeing these absolutely breathtaking views and beautifully grotesque monstrosities that put any other game to shame.

I admit it. I'm an absolute slut for FROM's games. I love every single one of them. But I also have taste.

MastAndo

I just murdered Patches in a moment of bloodlust and I’m not feeling too happy with myself.
I spared him, only to realize the best thing he offered was something I no longer needed. Does anyone know if I can slaughter him afterwards and get the loot he drops? I read he offers a
+7 spear and some armor

I do worry killing NPC's might mess something up down the line though.

jadefire66

My 2nd character will be STR, any tips for good strength weapons? I want something big and practical, that staggers the fuck out of stronger enemies.

I don't know if we're considering weapons to be a spoiler or not, but I just ran across a weapon straight out of Bloodborne:

Ghiza's Wheel...it's the whirligig.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I'm sorry, but this is just...such a bad take. The performance isn't ideal, that's for sure, but I'm having pretty much zero issues on PS5. But the real issue is your taste in graphics. Elden Ring outclasses Horizon and TLOU in art style to such a degree it's almost comical. Those games have great graphical fidelity, but TLOU is just photorealism (boring as fuck in other words) and Horizon is a fucking eyesore to look at. It's an over saturated visual mess. Like a tech demo made into a game. Just visual density in the worst possible way. A novelty of hardware power that is absolutely impressive, but wears off quickly. I played the first one and that's reason enough for me not to play the sequel.

I've put 30 hours into Elden Ring and I'm constantly seeing these absolutely breathtaking views and beautifully grotesque monstrosities that put any other game to shame.

I admit it. I'm an absolute slut for FROM's games. I love every single one of them. But I also have taste.
No doubt Froms art direction is top tier. But tell me you don’t want to play a zombie survival game or a game where horror icons are chasing in full immersion vr, plugged into your brain with absolutely photo realistic graphics. Games will get there eventually and I can’t wait.

I’d love a full immersion Vr dark fantasy game like Elden Ring as well with photorealistic graphics.

Obviously this is shit in the pretty far future.

please let me live to see that day

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I found this weird area where the mobs are easy and quick to beat and give you 1000xp, feel like im cheating, flying up levels.

Lunarorbit

Serious question: what is up with the Japanese and hot blonde women who are blind or wear cloth over their eyes.

There's a woman in elden that fits that description. Plus 2B and the sword maiden from goblin slayer are practically twins.

Not against it really just thought its such a specific trope/body to have show up so often.

The easy answer is they are just being super horny Japanese people. Maybe it's just that simple

Spaceman292

Banned
enemy placement and level design.
now you can straight up just avoid some encounters by just going aroubd them

while in previous games you would still be able to run and avoid some enemies, especially in the runs from the last bonfire to the fog gate, it was never to this degree
Only in the open world. But as I said, there's a huge amount of closed off dungeons which are designed just like the older games.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
My 2nd character will be STR, any tips for good strength weapons? I want something big and practical, that staggers the fuck out of stronger enemies.

Highland axe.

Jumping RT/charged RT staggers good and R1 is relatively fast.

30str with +13 is doing around 250-300 per R1 without buffs. Don't forget to set a 'heavy' weapon art for better scaling

Been taking a break and PvPing, I’m undefeated! Is there any way to check stats like your win loss ratio?

Dual katanas does some pretty crazy damage when bleed procs, which happens pretty quick if you’re using two

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No idea but same as yesterday I cannot duplicate radahn remembrance. Can you really only duplicate one per game? So why there are so many mausoleums?
Or do I really need to do stupid towers first?

Anyway I have a story question.
Do you need to kill all great rune bosses?
And so you need to tower their runes or just have them? Does it change the ending of you have all but not activated?

Top Bottom