• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Sayad

ELeague have been one of the most entertaining SFV events so far, there's a lot of hypocrisy in Ultra David's tweets since the start of the event, he sounded bitter, really unprofessional and that's a shame since he's usually the voice of reason in the FGC.

That being said, this RLewis guy is a real piece of shit.

crash-14

Theatrical purpose are great. They work on WWE pretty well for example. It's pretty common on TV.

Who ever wasn't able to catch the joke as a joke and got offended by it should check their sense of humor man...

And real talk, you don't have to like this type of humor, just like some people don't like South Park for example.

But I won't believe anyone that genuine watched that without any information of the FGC would extract deeper meanings from it... If they weren't willing to do it. In the broadcast context it was quite clear it was just a joke...

Syntsui

ELeague have been one of the most entertaining SFV events so far, there's a lot of hypocrisy in Ultra David's tweets since the start of the event, he sounded bitter, really unprofessional and that's a shame since he's usually the voice of reason in the FGC.

That being said, this RLewis guy is a real piece of shit.

This is my take on all this recent drama.

I'm disappointed with all these guys, but the event is great so far.

Onemic

The security guard was completely unnecessary and I agree with UD tbh. It was clearly done as a way to heighten the hype of the match between kbrad and krone. I just feel like it wasnt necessary because this shit isnt the WWE. You dont need to build shit up through fake spectacle because the skill on display isnt an act, it's an actual competition.

And if R Lewis is actually being serious about needing security on stage for that set then I am very inclined to agree with Skilletors viewpoint.

EDIT: Lewis is an alt-righter too? Now his comment makes sense smh.

Hyun Sai

And if R Lewis is actually being serious about needing security on stage for that set then I am very inclined to agree with Skilletors viewpoint.

After seeing the infamous in your face popoff of K-Brad, no one can blame Lewis, alt right or not.

From weeks all I heard is "building rivalry", "thuggery" "good for the FGC" and shit and now those guys freak out because of a security guard, hilarious.

The security guard was completely unnecessary and I agree with UD tbh. It was clearly done as a way to heighten the hype of the match between kbrad and krone. I just feel like it wasnt necessary because this shit isnt the WWE. You dont need to build shit up through fake spectacle because the skill on display isnt an act, it's an actual competition.

EDIT: Lewis is an alt-righter too? Now his comment makes sense smh.

Um im pretty sure a ton of people would punch someone if they popped off in your face the way K-Brad did before to WolfKrone. Krone is an odd guy but props to him for "getting it" and not really doing anything physical before or after. I see why they would think they would need a security person on hand.

I didn't get the complaints about player selection until I saw what having just a few weaker or less interesting players in a pool could do to these round robins. 7+ guaranteed walkovers in a broadcast with substantial downtime between matches is a real drag.

Hyun Sai

Um im pretty sure a ton of people would punch someone if they popped off in your face the way K-Brad did before to WolfKrone. Krone is an odd guy but props to him for "getting it" and not really doing anything physical before or after. I see why they would think they would need a security person on hand.

This. The one thing that made me uncomfortable was not the security guard, but the footage of this pop off, couldn't believe it. But, heeh, many in the FGC seemed fine with it because it's Wolfkrone, it's thuggery, it's the roots, who cares ?

Onemic

The real question is "could they fight ?", and I've seen things escalate for less.

They couldve, but didnt. Like any heated rivalry.

...but he didnt fight him. If he did then that would be a different story. Like I said, I think they brought the security on stage for the hype. Not because they felt they needed to.

This. The one thing that made me uncomfortable was not the security guard, but the footage of this pop off, couldn't believe it. But, heeh, many in the FGC seemed fine with it because it's Wolfkrone, it's thuggery, it's the roots, who cares ?

A lot of people were uncomfortable with krones popoff, just look back a few pages when it happened

bryt

Every day so far we've as an 0-7 blowup. Any chance for the same today?

Biggest chance is LI Joe if he hasn't been playing or Chris T since he already thinks Ken sucks and he can definitely be already mentally defeated before the event even starts.

And if LPN goes 0-7.... the memes will write themselves lol

Dahbomb

Every day so far we've as an 0-7 blowup. Any chance for the same today?
Less chance because even though there are weaker players in this group, there's more of them that they can get 1 game off each other.

But the 0-7 police will definitely be patrolling the highways tonight.

They couldve, but didnt. Like any heated rivalry.

...but he didnt fight him. If he did then that would be a different story. Like I said, I think they brought the security on stage for the hype. Not because they felt they needed to.

A lot of people were uncomfortable with krones popoff, just look back a few pages when it happened

They did an interview "earlier in the day" and Kbrad pretty much got in Wolfkrone's space again and then the interview segment after with the F-bomb I was sure someone was gonna swing lol. This could have easily escalated and there is other times where people have gotten violent, which is why Capcom stupid as it was to call it that put "No Thuggery" in the rules in the first place.

I personally find it hilarious but to a corporation this is a lawsuit if something happens and they have no one there.

I expect him and Tatarian to drop from competition tonight.

Don't you put the 0-7 curse on Joe!

I'm honestly hoping it has a stand-out performance. LI Joe seems to handle pressure well, and the one thing I have noticed about this whole tournament is that there seems to be a severe case of nerves going around to everyone except a select few - almost all players have made key mistakes i've never seen them do in competitive tournaments before. I'm hoping Joe can stay calm and take advantage of this.

Onemic

They did an interview "earlier in the day" and Kbrad pretty much got in Wolfkrone's space again and then the interview segment after with the F-bomb I was sure someone was gonna swing lol. This could have easily escalated and there is other times where other people have gotten violent, which is why Capcom stupid as it was to call it that put "No Thuggery" in the rules in the first place.

I personally find it hilarious but to a corporation this is a lawsuit if something happens and they have no one there.

What does this have to do with showing the security to the cameras by having him onstage though? Security is always there in general, so the backstage stuff youre talking about wouldve been covered regardless. The criticism isnt about having security at the event, it's about showing the security off to the camera to heighten the sense that something might happen between these two guys as soon as one of them wins/loses. It's pure WWE shit to me.

Anyway, it's a pretty minor criticism in my eyes, as Eleague has been pretty amazing thus far.

jett

D-Member
What a complete douche.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336427436220416

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336835244150784

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847344828337635330

By the way, RLewis writes for Breitbart, in case you didn't know.

He's also banned from Dreamhack for choking a Dota player, so he's one to talk about security at events.

It's Ultradavid that comes off douchey. Seems he's pissy he wasn't invited.

Dahbomb

LI Joe will not go 0-7. His Urien is far more advanced and optimized than Gootecks'.

One of either ChrisT or LPN is more likely but even then I think both of them can squeeze out a 1-6 at least.

We might have our first 7-0 though. Most likely to happen in this group with Du.

CurlyW

Sorry, I couldn't hear over the announcers going crazy and kbrads friends laughing at Krone. He still invaded his personal space and people fight over a lot less.

But they didn't fight. There hasn't been a fight over a match at an FGC major since the mvc2 days. But RLewis seems to think the security was absolutely necessary. :thinking:

jett

D-Member
Except that I don't personally believe David is that petty. Also, he has had positive things to say about it.

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/847299955886706688

I'm simply debating the specific point he made.

That's some lowkey condescending shit. Not "authentic" enough? Maybe it needs to be several hours late every day and keep multiple hype matches off-stream to be more authentic.

For me it's Ultradavid that has gone down a bit today.

mbpm1

Honestly the security being highlighted was a little uncanny valley for me. It started to feel a little too staged.

Thankfully wolfkrone dispelled that notion by being wolfkrone. Still a great show.

Dahbomb

Gootecks said it's not organic, nothing was said about authenticity. That's two very different words right there and as a lawyer I would hoped that UD would have quoted that better.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This is the best ran mostly high level tourney yet. It has tons of flaws but at least they are taking suggestions to heart. We always wanted a round robin tourney featuring Americans so this is a good start.

CurlyW

That's some lowkey condescending shit. Not "authentic" enough? Maybe it needs to be several hours late every day and keep multiple hype matches off-stream to be more authentic.

For me it's Ultradavid that has gone down a bit today.

You're seriously comparing an open event with multiple games and hundreds if not thousands of entrants to an invitational for one game with no more than 8 people at a time? I wonder which one is harder....

The amount of people who are supposedly in the FGC willing to abandon a guy who has devoted over a decade to it to defend the douchebag actions of somebody who has worked with the FGC for 3 days really is staggering.

mbpm1

The amount of people who are supposedly in the FGC willing to abandon a guy who has devoted over a decade to it to defend the douchebag actions of somebody who has worked with the FGC for 3 days really is staggering.
I mean, Krone has fans now.

Top Bottom