• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

You have to realize that the "thuggery" meme is symbolic of the entire tension between the FGC and esports. For many of us who grew up in arcades, Capcom's anti-thuggery ruling was indicative of an inevitable, forced sterilization of a scene that had been run entirely by the community for decades. ELeague's willingness to work with the unique personality of the FGC is a wholly new experience and the kinks are already working itself out as the event is progressing.

Everyone knows that the word thuggery has racial connotations, but it's also something with a deep meaning to the core, long-time FGC members.

Gootecks' getup has been one of the more refreshing things imo. It gets boring seeing the majority of players in their sponsored jersey. Need people to have a bit more fun / creativity with it. His gameplay, well I'm not gonna argue there. But like others have said, he might've gone 0-7, but he still ended up winning.

To be fair, that's Gootecks' uniform too.

I'm hoping LI Joe shows us an actual Urien, instead of the nonsense Gootecks put on stage & called a performance.
Gootecks clearly put in a lot of work before the event. He had a defined, unique game plan in the match against Kbrad and was winning pretty convincingly before he cracked and started second-guessing himself. As the day went on he started playing more and more restrained, but the matches were a lot closer than I think a lot of people were expecting. He was playing in a hit and run style I think not a lot of people see from Urien and I hope he keeps practicing. Nobody expected him to be invited, but he made the best of his opportunity.

Dahbomb

You're seriously comparing an open event with multiple games and hundreds if not thousands of entrants to an invitational for one game with no more than 8 people at a time? I wonder which one is harder....

The amount of people who are supposedly in the FGC willing to abandon a guy who has devoted over a decade to it to defend the douchebag actions of somebody who has worked with the FGC for 3 days really is staggering.
No one said anything about abandoning UD, let's take it down a notch here. And no one is really defending that Lewis guy either.

And let's scale back on the name calling as well.

The amount of people who are supposedly in the FGC willing to abandon a guy who has devoted over a decade to it to defend the douchebag actions of somebody who has worked with the FGC for 3 days really is staggering.

UltraDavid can come off as an asshole he even says it himself weekly. I can see why some people don't like him or can be put off by him.

Nabs

They should move this from TBS to TNT.

latest

vulva

Just to be clear here, I don't think anyone's against the idea of security being there but rather just felt it wasn't necessary to show them on camera (even if played for laughs only). Is that a fair assessment?

jett

D-Member
You're seriously comparing an open event with multiple games and hundreds if not thousands of entrants to an invitational for one game with no more than 8 people at a time? I wonder which one is harder....

My comment makes as much sense as Ultradavid's.

I'm here to enjoy high level fighting skills. Who organizes what is of little consequence to me. I'm honestly baffled by this supposed battle between E-League and the "FGC" that Ultradavid and others are trying to start. It's like who fucking cares. The more and better tournaments there are out there, the better for me and everyone else, as far as I can see. Did people also whine when RedBull started doing their invitationals?

Spacebar

But they didn't fight. There hasn't been a fight over a match at an FGC major since the mvc2 days. But RLewis seems to think the security was absolutely necessary. :thinking:

So you admit there has been violence in the FGC before. Then you have two rival players who just had a pop off a couple weeks ago. Nothing wrong with having extra security there as a precautionary measure. Do I think it was played up for more drama? Absolutely.

Seems like you're defending UD which I don't have an issue with either. He is entitled to his own opinion.

jett

D-Member
Just to be clear here, I don't think anyone's against the idea of security being there but rather just felt it wasn't necessary to show them on camera (even if played for laughs only). Is that a fair assessment?

I thought it was just WWE-tier shenanigans. Considering the FGC's history with this kinda bullshit, it's nonsensical to me that some people such as Ultradavid are trying to make a mountain out of that molehill. It's like he's trying to put down E-League for no conceivable reason whatsoever.

Dahbomb

Yeah the issue here is focusing on the security as a gag rather than security actually being there. Somehow Lewis flipped it into people in the FGC not wanting security at events, which is not true.

It really is making a mountain out of a molehill but from both sides. That's generally how drama is created to begin with, if one person is doing it then there's no drama... you need someone else to keep it going.

Anyway enough of that from me, I am all in on watching Du get that first 7-0 and then perform some tea bags on stream with Guyelle.

Onemic

I thought it was just WWE-tier shenanigans. Considering the FGC's history with this kinda bullshit, it's nonsensical to me that some people such as Ultradavid are trying to make a mountain out of that molehill. It's like he's trying to put down E-League for no conceivable reason whatsoever.

Or he's just making a criticism. I agree with UD tbh and at the same time I think Eleague has been pretty awesome thus far. Liking something and having a criticism against it arent mutually exclusive.

sibarraz

Banned
I hate some attitudes from mr wizard, from shitting on competition to allowing some players that should have been banned into tje tournaments just because being members of their closer friends

Im all for thuggery but also is for the beet that another organization gives credibility to the genre will giving real money for the players

Hyun Sai

My comment makes as much sense as Ultradavid's.

I'm here to enjoy high level fighting skills. Who organizes what is of little consequence to me. I'm honestly baffled by this supposed battle between E-League and the "FGC" that Ultradavid and others are trying to start. It's like who fucking cares. The more and better tournaments there are out there, the better for me and everyone else, as far as I can see. Did people also whine when RedBull started doing their invitationals?

Many FGC personas are fine with anything as long as they are invited in it.

jett

D-Member
Or he's just making a criticism. I agree with UD tbh and at the same time I think Eleague has been pretty awesome thus far. Liking something and having a criticism against it arent mutually exclusive.

I think his criticism is meaningless. ELeague was just trying to have some fun with the KBrad/Krone feud, and for some reason UD decided to put their idea down, inexplicably taking the security guard 100% seriously. I imagine he's being facetious about it and is just trying to start some shit.

I wonder if there's some deeper beef between UD and this Lewis dude.

mbpm1

I think his criticism is meaningless. ELeague was just trying to have some fun with the KBrad/Krone feud, and for some reason UD decided to put their idea down, inexplicably taking the security guard 100% seriously. I imagine he's being facetious about it and is just trying to start some shit.

UD just said "eh not feeling it." Lewis then took it 100% seriously.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

A lot of it to me personally seems like the establishment feeling threatened of losing control of their cash cow. Seeing some of the tweets from MrWizard had me rolling my eyes at the hypocrisy.

Richard Lewis was the host right? I think he should have taken a step back from UD tweets and taken some constructive feedback. Not respond like he did..

jett

D-Member
I would rather say some are afraid to lose control of things.

You know, if they do that's their fault for not evolving with the times to be honest. For how long has the FGC been poverty? How many years has it been since the rise of esports? The FGC has never moved on from their grassroots mentality. People travel from the other side of the world for the chance at a couple thousands bucks. Even the premiere FGC championship, Evo, doles out some pretty sad prize money compared to non-FGC events.

If the traditional side of the FGC loses control of the future of fighting game tournaments, that's all on them.

Onemic

Except, judging from the initial tweet he made he wasnt? He just stated that he wasnt a fan of that move. He's not forced to like absolutely everything about Eleague.

To me it was Lewis that took it from 0-100 for no real reason.

JayEH

You know, if they do that's their fault for not evolving with the times to be honest. For how long has the FGC been poverty? How many years has it been since the rise of esports? The FGC has never moved on from their grassroots mentality. People travel from the other side of the world for the chance at a couple thousands bucks. Even the premiere FGC championship, Evo, doles out some pretty sad prize money compared to non-FGC events.

If the traditional side of the FGC loses control of the future of fighting game tournaments, that's all on them.

Fighting games should have been THE esport from the beginning tbh.

Dahbomb

I am not sure how you think that issue of "poverty" can be fixed within the FGC. TOs generally do not make massive bank on their events so where are they going to get the cash for the prize pot?

I do think we could use more exhibition/RR style tournaments. I am also not a big fan of watching Du beast on some lowly player in pools but I understand why that exists, it gives every player an equal chance to succeed which is at the heart of the FGC. It still begs the question as to how to create big prize pots and production value for these events if you don't have Johnny Donuts donating to the prize pot.

fresquito

I am not sure how you think that issue of "poverty" can be fixed within the FGC. TOs generally do not make massive bank on their events so where are they going to get the cash for the prize pot?

I do think we could use more exhibition/RR style tournaments. I am also not a big fan of watching Du beast on some lowly player in pools but I understand why that exists, it gives every player an equal chance to succeed which is at the heart of the FGC. It still begs the question as to how to create big prize pots and production value for these events if you don't have Johnny Donuts donating to the prize pot.
Not boicoting invitationals sounds like a good start to me.

jett

D-Member
UD just said "eh not feeling it." Lewis then took it 100% seriously.

Except, judging from the initial tweet he made he wasnt? He just stated that he wasnt a fan of that move. He's not forced to like absolutely everything about Eleague.

To me it was Lewis that took it from 0-100 for no real reason.

Oh, don't give me that. Look at the tweet progression from UD's first tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336427436220416

He didn't just say "oh I didn't like the security guard bit." He was actively complaining about how Eleague runs their event. If I was the dude in charge I'd be pissed too.

Besides, it makes no sense. Production and promotion SHOULD create hype. That's what every sport in the world tries to do.

He's whining for no reason.

And it's just a hypocritical thing to bring up when Evo did the whole drama with LiJoe's dad last year. Is that not also creating/manufacturing interest around a player that is completely and utterly unrelated to the actual gaming?

Fighting games should have been THE esport from the beginning tbh.

They had a chance with a bonafide, mega popular Street Fighter and overall genre revival back in 2009. Been coasting with the same mentality since.

I don't know. How did Evo do their ESPN deal last year? That's a start. Getting big, meaningful sponsors. They need to organize themselves.

Skilletor

They had a chance with a bonafide, mega popular Street Fighter and overall genre revival back in 2009. Been coasting with the same mentality since.

I really wonder how you come to this conclusion. If you're seeing success now, it's because companies see something that's worth investing in precisely because of that "same mentality" that has brought us where we are.

If eSports becomes a thing it's because some company nows see money in the FGC because of all the work TOs have done over the past several decades.

Onemic

He didn't just say "oh I didn't like the security guard bit." He was actively complaining about how Eleague runs their event. If I was the dude in charge I'd be pissed too.

Besides, it makes no sense. Production and promotion SHOULD create hype. That's what every sport in the world tries to do.

And it's just a hypocritical thing to bring up when Evo did the whole drama with LiJoe's dad last year. Is that not also creating/manufacturing interest around a player that is completely and utterly unrelated to the actual gaming?

I don't know. How did Evo do their ESPN deal last year? That's a start. Getting big, meaningful sponsors. They need to organize themselves.

This is what UD said:

eh coulda done w/o the krone/kbrad security guard. imo production shouldn't create hype, should create arena to let players/game create hype

It's a very mild criticism that Lewis blew up for no reason. If he's out of line for making a light criticism like that, then what is he allowed to do?

jett

D-Member
I really wonder how you come to this conclusion. If you're seeing success now, it's because companies see something that's worth investing in precisely because of that "same mentality" that has brought us where we are.

If eSports becomes a thing it's because some company nows see money in the FGC because of all the work TOs have done over the past several decades.

I see what you're saying. But I'm saying that they could've prepared and organized themselves, somehow? They'd be ones in charge of this upcoming eSports future. Or maybe it was just impossible for the FGC to evolve from grassroots tournies? If gaming eSports actually explodes in popularity they're going to get left behind for sure the way things stand.
This is what UD said:

It's a very mild criticism that Lewis blew up for no reason. If he's out of line for making a light criticism like that, then what is he allowed to do?

And this is blowing up?

"Or, y'know, better to have security there and not need it than need it and not have it."

What I see is a back and forth of two people trying to push each other's buttons. But it was UD that tried to start something first. And again, his argument made no sense whatsoever.

I in general enjoy Ultradavid's commentary, but this whole business just seems petty to me, and has kinda put me off.

Xeteh

This is what UD said:

I've just come to the conclusion that some people don't like UD much and are using this to talk shit. I didn't care one way or the other about the whole security guard thing (just thought it was kind of silly/dumb) but RL's reaction to his comments seemed way over the top to me without even considering all the time UD has put in to this scene.

mbpm1

Not seeing it, nope.

UD said eh and said why. Lewis explained why, reasonably. David explained some more why he thought that and then Lewis dismissed it as whining overall and started personal attacks.

If Lewis didn't want to hear about it, maybe he shouldn't have responded. As it is it looks like nothing more than wanting to have the last word on everything, or just doesn't understand that conversations which involve criticism don't necessarily need to escalate.

fresquito

I've just come to the conclusion that some people don't like UD much and are using this to talk shit. I didn't care one way or the other about the whole security guard thing (just thought it was kind of silly/dumb) but RL's reaction to his comments seemed way over the top to me without even considering all the time UD has put in to this scene.
So the more time you put, the more right you are?

See, UD has been complaining about EL from day one. I don't know what are his reasons, but that's a fact. This whole thuggery thing happened on day 3.

For the record, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a fan of UD, but I tend to appreaciatte his work quite a bit.

Onemic

I see what you're saying. But I'm saying that they could've prepared and organized themselves, somehow? They'd be ones in charge of this upcoming eSports future. Or maybe it was just impossible for the FGC to evolve from grassroots tournies? If gaming eSports actually explodes in popularity they're going to get left behind for sure the way things stand.

And this is blowing up?

"Or, y'know, better to have security there and not need it than need it and not have it."

What I see is a back and forth of people trying to push each other's buttons. But it was UD that tried to start something first. And again, his argument made no sense whatsoever.

Considering that Lewis started attacking him by calling him bitter and such, ya, I'd say he blew up what was a very mild initial tweet.

UD didnt start anything because he was just stating that he wasnt feeling that one part of the stream, that's it. making a minor criticism towards something isnt starting anything. You make it seem as if he said Eleague was shit or something.

Alucrid

Banned
i don't really see the issue with ultradavid's tweet. rlewis guy sounds like an ass - he's the one that's been on the desk right?

Xeteh

So the more time you put, the more right you are?

See, UD has been complaining about EL from day one. I don't know what are his reasons, but that's a fact. This whole thuggery thing happened on day 3.

For the record, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a fan of UD, but I tend to appreaciatte his work quite a bit.

Not sure how you managed to pull that out from what I said. Meant more to the effect of he shouldn't be trashed as some random person whining on the internet by someone who is new to the scene because he voiced an opinion.

i don't really see the issue with ultradavid's tweet. rlewis guy sounds like an ass - he's the one that's been on the desk right?

Yeah

Dahbomb

I don't know. How did Evo do their ESPN deal last year? That's a start. Getting big, meaningful sponsors. They need to organize themselves
Getting big sponsors like that isn't something that every TO can do. It's a herculean task creating a brand that sponsors would want to associate with.

The real onus falls on Capcom to provide the cash which they have been doing for sure. But it's still a big gap from the other e sports events.

I guess maybe when Marvel Infinite comes around Marvel/Disney/ESPN can drop massive wads of cash into the FGC but until then we have to do the regular grass root events.

depths20XX

I find the whole Ultradavid/Richard Lewis thing quite petty. So much twitter bullshit just seems like reading people's text messages to each other.

"Who gives a phuck?"

Skilletor

Getting big sponsors like that isn't something that every TO can do. It's a herculean task creating a brand that sponsors would want to associate with.

The real onus falls on Capcom to provide the cash which they have been doing for sure. But it's still a big gap from the other e sports events.

I guess maybe when Marvel Infinite comes around Marvel/Disney/ESPN can drop massive wads of cash into the FGC but until then we have to do the regular grass root events.

Right? Isn't that how this stuff gets done? The companies who own the products for esports put the funds into it?

I admit I'm ignorant on that aspect of huge tourneys.

Top Bottom