• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

crash-14

Richard Lewis was the host right? I think he should have taken a step back from UD tweets and taken some constructive feedback. Not respond like he did..

Not gonna RL attitude was good, but I can understand the reaction when many people have been shitting over E-League since day 1 and haven't praised any of the improvements. And UD it's also guilty in this matter since he promoted ESL on Tuesday by dismissing E-League with one of his passive aggressive tweets.

Again, RL still could have reply more chill.

i don't really see the issue with ultradavid's tweet. rlewis guy sounds like an ass - he's the one that's been on the desk right?

Yeah. After reading his tweets and then some of what he wrote for Breitbart he definitely seems like an asshole.

For someone to write about people being "terminally offended" regarding actual important issues like racism and then react that way to minor criticism about a friggin fighting game tournament seems pretty hypocritical.

bryt

eh coulda done w/o the krone/kbrad security guard. imo production shouldn't create hype, should create arena to let players/game create hype

Is UD okay with EVO doing that LI Joe dad thing? Is he okay with ESL trying to get players to shit talk each other on the mics?

Sayad

Right? Isn't that how this stuff gets done? The companies who own the products for esports put the funds into it?

I admit I'm ignorant on that aspect of huge tourneys.
Not always, EVO didn't get where it is using Capcom money, and other tournament like CEO and UFGT where looking at their size and production value I'd say they could probably be run as a profitable business certainly didn't get there using Capcom money.

fresquito

Meant more to the effect of he shouldn't be trashed as some random person whining on the internet by someone who is new to the scene because he voiced an opinion.
I don't care about this RL and he sure should have kept his mouth closed. But so should have done UD instead of being nitpicking on anything EL was from Day1.

In my opinion, and from what I have heard from his own mouth, he doesn't want FG to be esports if that means the FGC is not in charge. This event is clearly not involved with the FGC other than invited players and talent. I think they have done a pretty good job all things considered and has been one of the most interesting tournaments to watch of SFV so far.

I watch a ton of DOTA2 and I don't give a fuck about who's in charge, but whether the competition is worth watching. Had UD been in charge of DOTA2, it would still be DOTA1 levels of popularity.

Skilletor

Not always, EVO didn't get where it is using Capcom money, and other tournament like CEO and UFGT where looking at their size and production value I'd say they could probably be run as a profitable business certainly didn't get there using Capcom money.

Right, but that's part of the grassroots thing. I'm thinking stuff like MOBA esports scene. How did they get that big? TOs are a part of it, I'm sure, but how do you get to million dollar prize pots without the people who make the products participating?

Genuinely asking. I have no idea.

Sayad

Right, but that's part of the grassroots thing. I'm thinking stuff like MOBA esports scene. How did they get that big? TOs are a part of it, I'm sure, but how do you get to million dollar prize pots without the people who make the products participating?

Genuinely asking. I have no idea.
Oh yeah, other than FGC, I do believe DOTA and Star Craft 1 had grassroots scenes early on, but right now, outside the FGC competitive videogames scenes are run almost 100% on the back of the publisher and for profit esport organizations.

Blueblur1

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Only person in the wrong is RL.

He should be professional and take it in stride. Instead it looks like he's actively looking for negative feedback on twitter to attack people (there's the Hector Rosario/alucard attack too, btw). The guy is acting like a sociopath.

Lulubop

He should be professional and take it in stride. Instead it looks like he's actively looking for negative feedback on twitter to attack people (there's the Hector Rosario/alucard attack too, btw). The guy is acting like a sociopath.

Well he's a breitbart writer and probably an alt tighter, can't say im surprised.

Skilletor

Yeah, UD isn't speaking on behalf of anybody but himself.

Lewis is representing TBS or whoever will be airing this. Not a good look for this type of interaction.

Edzi

Yeah, UD isn't speaking on behalf of anybody but himself.

Lewis is representing TBS or whoever will be airing this. Not a good look for this type of interaction.

Yep, can't disagree here. While UD doesn't look great in all this either, Lewis is the one that really needs to get reigned in before the event itself gets tainted with this BS.

I'm just happy he's presenting himself and the players well on camera at the very least.

Onemic

Yep, can't disagree here. While UD doesn't look great in all this either, Lewis is the one that really needs to get reigned in before the event itself gets tainted with this BS.

I'm just happy he's presenting himself and the players well on camera at the very least.

Ya, as a host he's been pretty legit, even though it seems like outside of it he's a complete piece of shit.

vulva

Richard Lewis, by all means, seems like a pretty bad guy from what people who are more informed on him have told me.

With that said, luckily he seems to be professional enough to keep that out of the actual presentation itself. It's pretty great that, despite what he's done off screen, none of it has translated on screen. No shame in admitting that he's doing a great job on the show. He just needs to get himself together off screen as well.

Skilletor

Richard Lewis, by all means, seems like a pretty bad guy from what people who are more informed on him have told me.

With that said, luckily he seems to be professional enough to keep that out of the actual presentation itself. It's pretty great that, despite what he's done off screen, none of it has translated on screen. No shame in admitting that he's doing a great job on the show. He just needs to get himself together off screen as well.

Definitely.

Event has been amazing. Can't wait for the next block to start. Getting me through spring break slowness at work.

Just caught up with the Twitter drama.

I agree that the people against the "thuggery" are acting as though these were the Oscars. Its a video game, these tournaments won't gather interests from new comers through formal, polite E-Sports. In fact, thats how I got interested in the tournament Street Fighter/Marvel scene, through the fun community and "thuggery" moments.

And Richard was being a bit too aggressive on the responses, but I still agree with what he says more than what UltraDavid and the others are saying.

Alucrid

Banned

I agree that the people against the "thuggery" are acting as though these were the Oscars. Its a video game, these tournaments won't gather interests from new comers through formal, polite E-Sports. In fact, thats how I got interested in the tournament Street Fighter/Marvel scene, through the fun community and "thuggery" moments.

And Richard was being a bit too aggressive on the responses, but I still agree with what he says more than what UltraDavid and the others are saying.

that kbrad and wolfkrone were ready to throw down? lol come on. i don't get why the dude continues to insist that it wasn't for comedic exaggeration and was out of genuine concern

Krone ain't about that life, nobody was gonna fight. It was just WWE-esque showmanship.. now if it was Noel Brown that's another story👀

that kbrad and wolfkrone were ready to throw down? lol come on. i don't get why the dude continues to insist that it wasn't for comedic exaggeration and was out of genuine concern

Oh on that part I agree it was for comedic interests, nothing serious even though Richard makes it sound like it was used for a real threat. But UltraDavid and Mr. Wiz are making it seem as though its a disgusting blemish on the professional FGC/Street Fighter scene... Come on now.

Syntsui

Mr Wizard is most definetly reading this thread, so let me just give you an advice, stop making a fool out of yourself with these petty tweets.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh on that part I agree it was for comedic interests, nothing serious even though Richard makes it sound like it was used for a real threat. But UltraDavid and Mr. Wiz are making it seem as though its a disgusting blemish on the professional FGC/Street Fighter scene... Come on now.

i looked through ultradavid's twitter and don't see any other tweets that imply that. what am i missing?

kirblar

The issue isn't "thuggery", it's that "we need the cops" is fake hype, is a bad look in isolation (due to racial stereotypes) when the only two guys getting this treatment are two black guys, and is a bad look in general (given that the FGC is very minority heavy in general.)

Yes, events have security guards. But they're there primarily to help keep stuff from getting stolen, not to break up fights.

Given Lewis's political views, him being involved in this event is absolutely ridiculous.

mbpm1

So considering what sajam said yesterday about people who popoff typically getting bodied, who's the one who will pop off and get destroyed today?

I predict LPN.

NastyBook

Who are Richard Lewis and Malik Forte? Are they FGC in the UK?
Malik Forte is a Youtuber that made the Uncharted 2 GOTY music video (his own version/IGN version) that was popular for awhile.

This appears to be his first foray into the FGC, but dude's clearly done his homework and is an excellent interviewer.

Lulubop

Chris T won't go 0-7 but I doubt he'll make it out of the group.

No Joe can get knocked out too, and I haven't seen Ryan Hart play in ages so who knows. I think Chris T will squeak by Joe. He's more solid than Julio and in a weaker pool.

Onemic

So considering what sajam said yesterday about people who popoff typically getting bodied, who's the one who will pop off and get destroyed today?

I predict LPN.

I forgot LPN and Chris T are in this...One of them will go 0-7 probably

V-Faction

Here's my 2 beans:

- Great invitational, Great Experience. Great invitational, Great Experience. Great invitational, Great Experience.

- Unlike other people, I'm an UltraChen fan, so at first I wasn't going to care about the analysis too much. But having Tasty Steve, Rip, Zhi, and Diet UltraDavid have more wiggle room to work their own mojo has been a fantastic choice.

- This has had me glued to Twitch the entire time like it was a Bob Ross + Power Rangers cross over, so keep it up and bring on other excellent games (like Marvel, Marvel 2, MvC Infinite later on, Marvel 1, Marvel Super Heroes, and other important ones)

- The Dawn of the 00-7 scale. Can't wait till we reach the PierceT saga.

V-Faction

Repost from BOTP

Here's my 2 beans:

- Great invitational, Great Experience. Great invitational, Great Experience. Great invitational, Great Experience.

- Unlike other people, I'm an UltraChen fan, so at first I wasn't going to care about the analysis too much. But having Tasty Steve, Rip, Zhi, and Diet UltraDavid have more wiggle room to work their own mojo has been a fantastic choice.

- This has had me glued to Twitch the entire time like it was a Bob Ross + Power Rangers cross over, so keep it up and bring on other excellent games (like Marvel, Marvel 2, MvC Infinite later on, Marvel 1, Marvel Super Heroes, and other important ones)

- The Dawn of the 00-7 scale. Can't wait till we reach the PierceT saga.

Top Bottom