• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress |OT| 4X Fantasy TBS

alstein

I'm finding the game to be pretty frustrating when I play as any faction other than Tarth, even on beginner or novice. I've been fumbling through a few different games, none of which I've bothered completing, trying to find the right balance of city development, unit building and what branches of the tech tree I should game my way up. Fallen Enchantress seems to be really geared towards combat, I really feel driven to found cities near or to expand my borders to encompass iron deposits and spend most of my research to unlock metal weapons as quickly as possible so I can make a Civ IV-esque stack of doom.

You have to have a decent garrison in your cities, if any enemy stack of doom attacks your city and you don't have a proportionate defensive force, it gets destroyed in one turn, Civ IV fast. That I don't much care for.

The monsters that roam the world are on par than Civ V Nights barbarians in terms of strength and are numerous on the default setting. They can make expansion incredibly difficult and will destroy tile improvements if you don't have a roving military force to keep them at bay.

You can adjust settings as needed. That said, the world is supposed to be that dangerous. As for garrisons, I wouldn't recommend them because of militias and maintaining a huge garrison of effective troops is too expensive to do everywhere. it's better to have a quick defensive force to respond to threats, and a stack of doom to take down enemy cities. The game is designed in some ways to work well with what the AI does well.

As for faction distinction- it's inferior to Fall From Heaven, but superior to your average Stardock game (Stardock is generally weak in this area, Twilight of the Arnor was the exception). This is an area I expect will receive attention in the expansion, much like how Twilight did with GC2. The factions do play differently.

Woorloog

Banned
Turn 95

1Z0j3.jpg

I now have 4 cities though two them are new.
Haven't met any enemies, though Kraxis were apparently killed by monsters.
I need a strategy, i'm just fumbling in the dark still.

Bento

Edit: I really like the concept of being able to use a pioneer to build an outpost in areas that would not support a city to claim a resource.
In that case I'm sure you'll really like the Monolith spell which spends 50 mana to drop a magically conjured outpost in an area! However you need a specific faction trait to unlock that spell but can't remember the name of it >_<

Woorloog

Banned
Turn 140

5 cities now. Finally met another enemy, my auto-explore scout found someone. Forgot the faction's name, an Empire.

Do not keep Sovereign and Champions in the same group, they level up far slower. But it is easy to end up doing that anyway, if you need a lot of attack power.

New players, remember to build pioneers, quite a lot in-fact. Build outposts and cities, fast expansion is not a bad idea, as it gives a good base for a mid and late game powerhouse empire.

EDIT Also, remember to ENCHANT YOUR CITIES!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Turn 95

I now have 4 cities though two them are new.
Haven't met any enemies, though Kraxis were apparently killed by monsters.
I need a strategy, i'm just fumbling in the dark still.

Thanks Woorlong. Keep the pics and impressions coming.

My number one question: are you having fun playing it?

Sorry, this is going off the rails for the topic, but is the code that stardock provides redeemable on the Gamestop App? Because if any of you are playing the game that way, I was wondering if any of you are having issues with the app? I'm trying to login in order to register my copy of the game, but every time it keeps asking me to input the "authorize my PC access code". If i set it to not remember my code/PC, it'll work no problem, but if I check it to remember my PC, it'll either do nothing for a few seconds and then and pop up the authorize my pc screen again, or it'll tell me the code is incorrect and that they're sending me a new one to my email address. After going through this about 20 or so times (with the same number of emails flooding my inbox), I have no clue why it's not working.

Back on topic: Reading through this has raised my hopes of having an enjoyable experience. Those feelings of frustrations that I had playing the original Elemental are pretty strong so I might not have even installed this game, but this OT definitely made me change my mind. As the game stands though, is it worth playing as it is now, or should I wait for a patch or two before playing it?

Woorloog

Banned
Thanks Woorlong. Keep the pics and impressions coming.

My number one question: are you having fun playing it?

Sure. I guess. Still learning of course, it bothers me i don't have a good idea what to do.

The game is a tad slow... but then all 4X games are, i guess. I've been a RTS/TBS player for years but the last few years i've played mostly action games so the slowness kinda bothers me.
I wish you could train both units and build buildings at the same time, would speed up everything considerably and i wouldn't have to choose beetween armies/pioneers and improving cities.

BTW, tactical battles don't feel that tactical really, mostly because there is no line of sight blocking at the moment. IIRC Stardock wants to implement that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As for faction distinction- it's inferior to Fall From Heaven, but superior to your average Stardock game (Stardock is generally weak in this area, Twilight of the Arnor was the exception). This is an area I expect will receive attention in the expansion, much like how Twilight did with GC2. The factions do play differently.

So does this compare favorably to Fall from Heaven 2? That mod (game?) is flat out amazing.

I was one that pre-ordered the first Elemental...what a mess. Offering the freebie for Fallen Enchantress later certainly helped to redeem them though in my mind.

I didn't realize this had come out of beta. Feedback sounds awesome! I'll have to go download it and play it some!

It isn't. You have to get it for them directly.
https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx

Your login details should be identical to what you had on Impulse.

I find it funny that I can't redeem the game key it on the DD client that they used to own.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that stardock was going to still initially release their titles through impulse even after gs bought it, but it looks like that isn't the case anymore.

Spl1nter

I find it funny that I can't redeem the game key it on the DD client that they used to own.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that stardock was going to still initially release their titles through impulse even after gs bought it, but it looks like that isn't the case anymore.

They still release the game on Impulse just like its been released on Steam. There is a beta Stardock Central downloader you can use or FTP.

Island Dog

Neo Member

FE is available on most of the digital distribution services, but for people who get a free copy it has to go through Stardock as that is where the original account info is at.

Spl1nter

Damn this game is a lot of fun. Really fall into next turn syndrome, time just flies by. Love how its a different experience every time. Changing the world makes a huge difference. I would put the game on par with original GalCiv2, however, it is far less buggy, more polished and completely stable. With some good expansions this game can be on par with GalCiv2 Complete and Civ4 Complete

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I am shocked that I'm neglecting xcom and it's for a different strategy game. Crazy fun. I absolutely love this game.

alstein

Oh, if you look on the Stardock forums, you can sometimes see private builds done by Brad Wardell himself that attempt to fix AI or minor performance issues. They're as is, and save the original .exe, but they're out there if you want to see what he's trying.

Instro

Looks pretty interesting, although I am a bit wary of Stardock atm. I'll keep an eye on this, perhaps pick it up a bit down the line.

alstein

Looks pretty interesting, although I am a bit wary of Stardock atm. I'll keep an eye on this, perhaps pick it up a bit down the line.

Don't expect a Steam sale for a long time- Stardock is notoriously stingy about sales for the first year of a game's life.

Twinduct

I really hate how the game jumps from ' Just double click on your destination to go to next turn ' to ' Hey you have 4 cities with no production! What's that? Nothing left to built? Shitoutaluckbub! Gonna have to to press end turn bud bud!'.

Sorry tired

Woorloog

Banned
I really hate how the game jumps from ' Just double click on your destination to go to next turn ' to ' Hey you have 4 cities with no production! What's that? Nothing left to built? Shitoutaluckbub! Gonna have to to press end turn bud bud!'.

Sorry tired

Stardock's games have UI issues.
Gotta chime in next time someone complains about those on FE forums.

I reckon i'll scrap the game i've posted here, it is too slow and easy as it is (Beginner AI). Chose Epic speed but that wasn't so good idea here. Suits Civ well but not FE. At least not for a beginner.

alstein

Stardock's games have UI issues.
Gotta chime in next time someone complains about those on FE forums.

I reckon i'll scrap the game i've posted here, it is too slow and easy as it is (Beginner AI). Chose Epic speed but that wasn't so good idea here. Suits Civ well but not FE. At least not for a beginner.

Challenging is the best AI setting. AI plays fair there and doesn't gimp itself.

Stardock - it's ironic that a company that makes its money on UI has games that traditionally don't have good UI.

The game's early pacing is kinda slow, so I suggest normal speed.

Woorloog

Banned
Challenging is the best AI setting. AI plays fair there and doesn't gimp itself.

Stardock - it's ironic that a company that makes its money on UI has games that traditionally don't have good UI.

The game's early pacing is kinda slow, so I suggest normal speed.

Challenging would be fine but i don't know how to properly play yet. So easy or normal it is.

I need to figure out strategy, what to pursue and when. Especially if i want to play on Challenging... GalCiv2 taught me that.

And yes, Epic speed+early game makes the game slow as hell. Might be fun later on but for a beginner it is kinda boring.
Also, this time i'll use balanced/moderate settings for world creation, instead of random-random-random...

flowsnake

Didn't they drop "Elemental" from the title (I assume because that name has a bad association in people's minds now...)?

Woorloog

Banned
Didn't they drop "Elemental" from the title (I assume because that name has a bad association in people's minds now...)?

Not really, it is Elemental: Fallen Enchantress just as WoM was Elemental: War of Magic. At least i belive this is the naming convention, it just shortened to Fallen Enchantress or FE everywhere.
The world and series is named Elemental.

xenist

I only say this having played about twelve hours.

It's not Fall From Heaven good. But it is good. It has some interface issues but they have the "one more turn" thing down. It's easy not to lose but really hard to kick ass. I'm nowhere even close to having the balance between the fours Xs figured out.

kmfdmpig

Really? Did you ever play Master of Magic? I still play that 19 year old game now and then. To this day no 4X fantasy game has truly captured the fun I get when playing MoM. I was hoping that Elemental would be that game, it was very far from it. Does anyone have any opinions on how Fallen Enchantress compares to MoM?

Can anyone comment on the similarities of MoM? I ask because it's one of my favorite games of all time and I'd like something modern and somewhat similar. It seems like this may be a good option.

xenist

It is spiritually very close. But again I've only played FE for about a dozen hours and was at most casually into MoM. The guys at Three Moves Ahead seem to think so, though.

Woorloog

Banned
I only say this having played about twelve hours.

It's not Fall From Heaven good. But it is good. It has some interface issues but they have the "one more turn" thing down. It's easy not to lose but really hard to kick ass. I'm nowhere even close to having the balance between the fours Xs figured out.

Stardock games are not released in "very good" state, but they are updated later.. and hopefully the updates and expansions bring it to "very good" state.

I will update the OP once the first patch is released (links to it, general description). And subsequent patches and DLC (yes, this game will have paid DLC but SD is also gauging interest in it, wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't do any more DLC after the first one (a map pack, $5)).
And i'll get around fixing the OP (screenshots, more detail) later... Not that this seems to be an isse for people here, so little interest in the game.
Now, more Halo 4...

Mengy

And i'll get around fixing the OP (screenshots, more detail) later... Not that this seems to be an isse for people here, so little interest in the game.

I'm very interested in every bit of info I can learn about this game. Reviews haven't been convincing enough for me yet to pull the trigger and buy this game again. I want it to be good, I want to buy it, but I'm being very skeptical since getting burned by the initial release.

eznark

Banned
I'm very interested in every bit of info I can learn about this game. Reviews haven't been convincing enough for me yet to pull the trigger and buy this game again. I want it to be good, I want to buy it, but I'm being very skeptical since getting burned by the initial release.

If you bought the initial release this game is free. It's also freaking amazing and fixes literally every issue with the original game except the race diversity.

alstein

Stardock games are not released in "very good" state, but they are updated later.. and hopefully the updates and expansions bring it to "very good" state.

I will update the OP once the first patch is released (links to it, general description). And subsequent patches and DLC (yes, this game will have paid DLC but SD is also gauging interest in it, wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't do any more DLC after the first one (a map pack, $5)).
Now, more Halo 4...

Gal Civ 2 1.0 was not in a super-polished state at all, but by Twilight it was awesome.

FE 1.0 is pretty much at GC2 1.1 state. FE 1.01 is supposed to come out today.

I suspect map pack DLC is a bad idea- as folks prefer sandbox to pre-designed maps in general, so it will feel bad.

Mengy

If you bought the initial release this game is free. It's also freaking amazing and fixes literally every issue with the original game except the race diversity.

I bought it, but I got my money back because I felt it was just that bad. So I need to buy it again. :)

At this point I think I'll wait until the Steam Christmas sale and see if I can get a good price on it. Being Stardock though, I doubt it will even go on sale at all, lol.

Anno

I'm enjoying the game a lot. I wish, though, that there was some incentive for leveling up non-champion guys. Unless I'm missing something they just get some additional HP, not even attack/defense. Kinda silly having a big ass dragon or elemental you've raised for hundreds of turns that basically just takes up some space.

alstein

I bought it, but I got my money back because I felt it was just that bad. So I need to buy it again. :)

At this point I think I'll wait until the Steam Christmas sale and see if I can get a good price on it. Being Stardock though, I doubt it will even go on sale at all, lol.

That won't happen, unless you mean Christmas 2013. They did put most of their games on sale last year at their own site.

alstein

If you want the Steam version, it's on sale at Gamersgate this week for $27, though there's a chance it might get put on a daily sale for a bit less.

Mengy

If you want the Steam version, it's on sale at Gamersgate this week for $27, though there's a chance it might get put on a daily sale for a bit less.

It no longer matters, I finally caved and bought it last Friday night.

Played through a game on beginner and won by the Spell of Making (though I wasn't the highest rated faction). Played through a second game on the next hardest skill level (Easy I think?) and won again by the Spell of Making. Now on my third playthrough.

My initial feelings are that the game is VERY much improved. It's actually enjoyable now. The UI is much better although it's still not on Civ V's level of smoothness. I've only encountered a few bugs so far, and most of them were graphic glitches that didn't stop me from playing. The tactical combat is well done and works well, although I wish there were more options for spells and such in them. I'm still learning the basics and mechanics of it, trying out new things and exploring the game. I haven't fully explored an entire map yet, this time on my third game I'm making it a point to explore and investigate everything.

And that leads me to a complaint I have. It's far too easy to win by the Spell of Making. I've done it twice now and pretty much just coasted my way there, almost winning by accident. Maybe it's just because I have it on such a low skill level (while learning the game) but it seemed like none of the other factions even cared that I was casting the Spell of Making to win the game. In both Master of Magic, and even in Stardock's own game Galactic Civ II, once you start the "spell to win the game" all of the other factions try to stop you. Stardock does an exceptional job of this in Gal Civ II, even preparing to win by Ascension gradually turns the entire universe against you, and it's an awesome way to end a game. Fallen Enchantress hasn't done this to me yet. Once I had the tech researched and the towers built I started casting the spell and like 8 turns later I won the game with no drama or friction of any kind.

So from now on I'm avoiding the Spell of Mastery on purpose and making the game last longer.

It's a good fun game, and I'll be playing it for awhile, but I don't think it has the breadth and appeal that will replace Master of Magic for me. I still wish someone would just make a Master of Magic II. Keep the spells the same, the races the same, the heroes the same, keep all of the game mechanics but update the game to modern times. Give it Civ V interface and modern graphics, add in empire borders ala Civ V, but keep the tactical combat like MoM and Fallen Enchantress has. Update the AI to Stardock levels. If someone made this game I'd pay $100 for it without a second thought.

I'll post more opinions on Fallen Enchantress after I play a few games on higher difficulties, but so far I'm enjoying it alot.

alstein

I'd suggest posting that criticism on the forums, Brad's been responding pretty nicely to AI complaints in general, though fantasy game AI is 10 times as hard as space game AI- magic and all the variables involved are really AI-unfriendly.

alstein

1.1 Patch came out yesterday- good number of AI fixes/enahncements, slight performance boosts, and some balance tweaks.

Top Bottom