• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

Higher payouts do not equal new and improved game mechanics. I will continue to complain!!!!!

But man, with payouts like those, I'd have billions from exploration had it always paid out like that. O_O

I still don't know how you or others continue to make exploration trips with gameplay that hasn't changed in 2 years. At least you'll make more money now...right?

Sibylus

Banned
Payouts that make sense are welcome. Really pulling for naming discoveries and features, and new mission types (a Space Program mission where you carry satellites/astronauts/space station parts would be a straightforward extension of the existing passenger missions).

Wish there was a way to get some convergence on fixed guns. Frustrating there is a permanent gap on the Clipper.

I went a little exotic with the setup and have two medium rail guns along with two large multis on the nacelles. Also weird to have to use the large pads now even though it is about the same size as a Python:

1B38195F39629091C90562F87028FBE0131F959D

560B2A5CB7700743A5AB7354CFDA1BC100EA5528

DrBo42

Payouts that make sense are welcome. Really pulling for naming discoveries and features, and new mission types (a Space Program mission where you carry satellites/astronauts/space station parts would be a straightforward extension of the existing passenger missions).

I'd hope they'd do something like that when EVA is available. Deploy a satellite from your hold, unpack it and set it up. Maybe even personal inflatable science or scan stations for explorers to process data or samples.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I still don't know how you or others continue to make exploration trips with gameplay that hasn't changed in 2 years.

To be honest, I've not gone further than Colonia for many months now. Exploring has gotten boring even for me, especially after 2.2 with the beige dumbing down of planet colors and terrain. There just aren't many interesting planets to land on anymore, not like there were in 2.1 at least.

I've been playing a lot of other games latley.

xAlias

Multi-crew isn't even in the beta yet, so it'll be a few weeks, at the earliest, I'd wager. But maybe we'll get an announcement at PAX.

Great! Actually for once I am glad it is going to take more time for this patch to hit because of the incoming nerf for passenger mission bonus to explorer ranking.

Gives me more time to get that explorer rank to Elite quick as I am not really a fan of plain exploration into deep space.

Second edition of "Details" vid posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQlCDRYbW4

Great! Actually for once I am glad it is going to take more time for this patch to hit because of the incoming nerf for passenger mission bonus to explorer ranking.

Gives me more time to get that explorer rank to Elite quick as I am not really a fan of plain exploration into deep space.

Same, I am hoping to spend some time this week running long range passenger missions. Might be the only way I hit Elite as an explorer! At least in the short term.

xAlias

Second edition of "Details" vid posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQlCDRYbW4

Same, I am hoping to spend some time this week running long range passenger missions. Might be the only way I hit Elite as an explorer! At least in the short term.

Actually the trick is not to take the long range passenger missions if you want to make faster profit/level up.

Better to take those tourist missions by stacking then if possible on an ASP explorer.

Example, I take like two tourist missions at the same time of value 9 mil and 11 mil each. Successful completion of both of them gives you like ~25% increase at Range rank or like ~10% increase at Pioneer rank towards the next rank.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
A week later and we still don't have multi-crew to test. How bad did they fuck up here?

There’s been very little communication from Frontier on beta 2.3 so far, uncharacteristically little communication. Not much info at all from them since the beta went live. It’s certainly…odd.

SmartBase

Feeling a bit directionless (again), I'm thinking of skipping 2.3 altogether and jumping back in one last time with 2.4.

A week later and we still don't have multi-crew to test. How bad did they fuck up here?

There's another beta patch out today, still no multi-crew.

2.3 Beta, Update #2

Greetings commanders! We've released an update today for the 2.3 Beta. Below are the patch notes.

UPDATE: Please note that this update will not be enabling multicrew, as our QA team has identified a few issues on the build with it. Our apologies on this.

Stability Fixes

Server crash fix for unsupported feature
AI no longer try to use non-existant nameplates
Prevent a crash if a mission loses some of its data
Initialise the anonymous avatar data way earlier than previously, to avoid issues where avatars are requested before the owner is Activated
Fix for crash when trying to save the ship's generated ID
Fixed a soft lock on entering CQC, in which the non-authority on a destructible environment object never receives the replication that sets its kinematic item
When saving a ship that is alive, don't allow it to have zero health as this causes hiccups on loading, instead round up to 1/1000000 of it's full health
Speculative fix to prevent a crash on Mac builds, due to being unable to load some Horizons-only resources
Allow VFX Hosting to abandon creating particle effects if the containing location is trying to shutdown
Fix avatar assert when loading into a second CQC deathmatch
Fix an assert when flying in multiplayer in supercruise
Fix a crash in the free camera if a remote client deployed an SRV
Fix crashes in high resolution screen captures when using supersampling settings <1.0 and/or borderless modes with resolutions lower than the desktop resolution
Fixed a softlock that happened after dismissing an error dialog in CQC
Various System Map stability improvements (with force close of the map on exceptional circumstances, instead of crashing)
DX11: Remove deferred context usage in runtime compression

General Fixes/Tweaks

Fixed a problem introduced during 2.2, where you were no longer able to hold UP/DOWN to scroll information continuously within a common UI
Correctly handle '<' in text chat
Fixed the 'bind dialog' on the controls screen - it's 'back' 'confirm' and 'always confirm' buttons were being displayed when they shouldn't
Fixed long names getting truncated on the target panel when they could be expanded into the space reserved to show ship name
Rank requirement should no longer show up when not needed. Truncated text in shipyard list should now wrap
When player drops out of supercruise at a wing beacon within a ring, adjust start position for safety
Headlook should activate panels by default when looked at
Ships are not duplicated in system map each time you open it anymore
Completed a pass over the comms panel popup options, adding icons
Audio: Fix broken hyperspace jumps
Audio: Added in new audio options for ship voice lines from 2.2 and 2.3. These include muting NPC orders, Passengers, Fighters, Multicrew, Neutron star jet cones and unknown objects voice lines
Audio: Changed conversion setting on galnet focus sfx to stop seek table errors
Audio: Tamed the neutron star pulse ambience a wee bit
Audio: Volume sliders only play sound when decreasing the volume fixed
Audio: No music plays when docking with the Docking Computer fixed
Various text fixes
Particle effects lodding and optimisations
VFX lighting optimisations
OSX: Fix some odd character substitutions
Xbox One: Accept a CQC invite with only the launch chunk installed

Missions

Potential fix for mission inbox messages not appearing properly
Changes to chain missions: Piracy Heat, Piracy Contract, Clearing the Path and Safe Travelling - these should now spawn easier
Fixed Piracy Deal not giving you the correct target type to kill in the second mission
Rampant Leadership should now be giving the correct template
Updated the military career progression numbers to speed up progression a bit
Increase super power reputation gains by 25% when gaining faction reputation
Remove bookmarks and relevant inbox message from welcome mission template

Passengers

Automatically return passengers to their homes if their mission is no longer active and they're still in ship cabins

Ship Naming

Make sure ship names are displayed properly for locally stored ships and remote ships in the shipyard UI (accessible from station services)
We now let the server know when we generate a ship-id for a ship that we won't be able to generate consistently
Fix nameplate colours on OSX/OGL
Set restricted range of characters for input fields used when creating a commander and naming a ship (outfitting and New Commander Screen UI)
Fixed inconsistencies in the way we display the ship name in several pieces of UI when there's no custom name defined
Ship naming in Livery now accepts a fixed width rather than a character limit
Ship name in internal panel (functions tab) is now properly updated when changed from livery

Camera Suite

No default controls for Undo or Redo when using "Classic Context" or "Default Context" default bindings
Use the hanger bounding box to try and workout of a vanity camera is clipping with the hangar
Stopped the dof toggle been pressed should a user not have dof enabled
Should a player be in vanity camera when doing an hyperspace jump force them back into the cockpit view
Disable motion lines when in world fixed camera
Fixed UI not scaling correctly when fov is changed
Do not show the breathing mask when we are in a 3rd person view (vanity / gunner camera)
All bindings now display for elevation. Added UI support to hide DOF while inside the vanity cam
If the vanity camera is active, make sure background stars and directional lighting are not disabled
Audio: Stopped ascending whine of ship charging FSD being audible on player in external vanity cam
Audio: Fixed fuel scoop bug where the fuel scoop sound re triggers entering and exiting vanity cam

Commander Creator/Avatars

Avatars: fixed short beards so that they change colour properly; updated avatar presets to incorporate this change
Fixed pock marks decal so it doesn't erase detail off the base normal map
Allow for editable features to become aware of their availability to the player, so that randomise can select from only those options that are available for the player to equip
Avatars: Skin tone specular values balanced to new lighting
Re-add pilot to chair in holome during VR, but ensure that the head isn't visible
Updating male and female suit icons for Holo-Me
Removed Goth-y eye shadow from Male Preset 03 - he's one of our "Default 5" so should look more conventional
Male and female "Short" hairstyles were suffering from ghostly semi-transparent areas - now fixed
Organised scars prior to splitting off cleft chins into their own category
Fix for avatar head not being rendering correctly in cockpit after exiting Holo-me
Added labels for decal colours
Fixes for joint popping on male outfit animations
Updated eye icons
Hide Holo-me controls on non-Horizons platforms
Avatar texture baking recipes now include a flag to specify if baked output compression is allowed. Disabled baking output compression for avatars in the editor
Panel names are now data driven. Fixed bug where suit category name would not appear in the category panel
Made characters' nostrils properly dark
Add parent title to panel data name in holo-me. This should also fix the null text string in the suits section
Added game resources for female cornrows hairstyle
Avatar helmet now correctly deploys when emergency life support is enabled
Don't override a player's decision to apply a helmet in the editor
Removed the dev presets from the editor
Improved poly construction for the full beard
Improved transition to Holo-me to black out completely before making the camera transition. This should improve VR experience in particular to be less jarring
Put avatars in all cockpits when it's contextually relevant (try and avoid cameras inside heads)
Ensure that releasing the skinning bone buffer when we suddenly have no bones to process also unlocks the buffer and clears the lock. Also added some extra paranoid checks when releasing the bone buffer lock
Audio: Fixed audio to better follow slight timing and visual changes in Holo-Me

Community Goals

Allow Combat Bond Community Goals to be linked together, allowing one to fail if the other succeeds before the time runs out. A CG that ends early still honours any reward tiers reached

Weapons/Shields

Change the exponent of the curve used for shield resistance from power distributor pips to make it less harsh. 0 and 4 pips are unchanged, middle values now have a higher damage resistance. Specifically changed from 2->0.85, which means that 2 pip has an increased damage resistance from 15%->33% (0 pip stays at 0%, 4 pip stays at 60%). This change means that the TTL (Time To Live) increase of each additional half-pip is approximately the same, rather than almost nothing to start and spiking up towards the end, hopefully allowing players to use setups other than 4-SYS with less penalty. Does not affect CQC ships
Fix a muddling of grades on module reinforcements that made them a bit of a newbie trap if you didn't dig deeper - the Es were better than the Ds as they were probably ranked on the wrong primary stat. Increase the health of D class module reinforcements to be the same as what Es currently are (about +140%), and give Es a 10% buff to offset their higher mass
Incremental Railgun buffs: increase hardness piercing to match plasma accelerators so they do a better job of punching up against large ships. Reduce firing heat by approximately 15% (and round off to comfortable numbers)
Audio: Weapon impacts now respect whether or not the player is in internal / external cams
Audio: Fix missing weapon sounds
Audio: Fix missing events for ECM
Audio: Fix silent lod1 chaff launcher
Audio: Fixed silent shield cell audio
Audio: Tweak to the attenuation range of railguns chargeup

Engineers

Added reference module data for Sensors, Surface Scanners and Stellar Body Scanners
Audio: Fixes for various engineer bases bugs

NPCs

Audio: Renamed external point of no return event to make it audible on npc ships

Ships

Fixed Imperial Cutter vanity camera orientations
Fixed Federal Corvette vanity camera orientations
Audio: Fix for "Frameshift charge detected" voice line that triggers when the ship the player is targeting begins jumping
Audio: Fixed broken ship dust
Audio: Fixed broken cargo bay ambience
Audio: Fixed broken FSD "point of no return sound on non-player ships
Re-enabled audio ECM code which was turned off by accident
Audio: Fix for "Rotational Correction Enabled" triggering each time you switch back to the helm from a fighter/SRV
Audio: Fixed missing Orca external sounds
Audio: Fixes for ships hardpoint doors event errors and landing gear errors
Audio: Made Orca boosting sound slightly less aggressive and added a fade when the ship is stationary to prevent loud flyby boost sound when switching cams

SRV

Fixed a dependency for the SRV turret guns being nulltex whilst the player is in Vanity Camera mode
Audio: Fixed swapping turret view audio hanging
Audio: Fixed GUI panel sound getting stuck on when entering turret
Audio: Fixed broken wavescanner elements
Audio: Proper fix for "Scan Detected" voice line looping when sat in your srv next to your mothership and an unknown artefact
Audio: Added missing emitter group to scarab which was causing asserts and missing audio
Audio: Fix for fighter launch SFX always coming from player ship
Audio: Set up improved voice management and attenuations for various explosion related things
Audio: Code fix for hardpoint scanning sounds being re triggered when switching between turret and normal view

Stations/Ports

Added LODs for girders near entrance for asteroid bases
Fixed a small hole near the entrance on Asteroid base exterior
Audio: Fix missing station and outpost ambiences
Audio: Fixed flight controller clicks
Audio: Industrial station elements duck when inside outfitting fixed
Audio: Some tweaks to outpost elements to compression artefacts
Audio: Added a new audio emitter for the defense turrets at planetary bases, and changing their firing behavior so that firing sounds match the visuals
Audio: Corrected event names on advert drones so that we can hear them again
Audio: Fixed defence turrets being out of sync with the firing
Audio: Fix for very loud and clipped sound inside station docks

Installations/POIs/USSs

Ancient sites should not longer change layout (but all layouts will permanently change)
Correct the fallback logic for UA2's not in Merope
Fixed offset geometry on the dredger maw
Audio: Fix some missing SFX from capital ships
Audio: Fix for NavBeacon missing impact sounds
Fixed missing hitcheck on the Thomas Class Bulk Cargo Ship
Fixed missing hitcheck on the Henry Class Bulk Cargo Ship
Fixed some LOD popping on the cargo megaships
Fixes to stretched and zero map area UV's on some megaships
Audio: Fixed errors on installations/CQC
Audio: Audio logs positioned and duck music/ambiences correctly
Audio: Set capital ships to correct compression settings
Audio: Fixed some missing installation ambiences
Audio: Fix for missing sounds in Installation_SensorArray_002
Audio: Fixes for abandoned settlements missing events
AUdio: Setting up generic holoscreen events for missing holoscreen sounds

Render

Fix asteroid fog sometimes disappearing in DX11
Speculative fix for galactic background cubemaps ending up with messed up half-faces
Make effects switch to emitting when the emissionTimer is greater than or equal to the delay. This fixes continuous effects not emitting
Improve performance and reduce stalls when destroying surface rocks
Use the correct vertex layout for milky way dust instances in the galaxy map and skybox captures
Don't add milky way dust instances if we're not in an envmap view and we haven't finished updating the dust states
Improve the speed for morphing
Set the correct DOF values for consoles
OSX: DOF should appear off apart from on High and Ultra presets, which mirrors the x64 set up
Make GPU skinning precompute the result from the various morph frames
Make compression requests check the hardware capabilities first to determine if we can actually do anything

Controls

Unhide bindable controls categories on console - the only category still hidden is the mouse bindings
Added in the Dualshock 4 to the control bindings, includes a normal and "with yaw" flavour

Network

Fix various transaction server disconnections when resurrecting, buying exploration data, refining mining chunks, unloading passengers and outfitting ships
If we disconnect from the internet entirely (on PS4 and XB1 where we have an existing method of detecting that) then display a slightly more useful message on the main menus
When the game first connects to a server, if the game has a dual-stack connection, test the MTU over both IPv6 and IPv4
Improved error handling (RE: When the game first connects to a server, if the game has a dual-stack connection, test the MTU over both IPv6 and IPv4)
Show the path where log files are saved on the network settings screen

StellarForge

Changed Core Sys Sector XU-P a5-0 system to the recently announced Trappist-1 discoveries
Exoplanet in Kepler-20 renamed to Rob's Place
Moved Castellan station further away from its parent body

Player Journal

when docked at a planetary surface station, the "StationType" should show "SurfaceStation" not a blank string
The Docked event will now also include the distance from the star

Source

Still no multicrew :( lol, stings even worse that when the patch was announced this morning, it actually DID have multicrew enabled or at least they planned to.

Bought and used an FAS for the first time last night. These things are fun as hell. Can take a beating, shields recharge quickly, and they're shockingly nimble.

Actually, last night I DID get in over my head in a Haz Res and was fleeing a wing of ships. I had already had to reboot/repair once to get a bunch of my modules (including thrusters and FSD) back online, which of course dropped my (weakening shields). Maneuvered through the asteroid field to get some space but my hull was dropping fast.

I'm charging my FSD, about to jump into SC--I'm literally 1-2 "notches" away from the FSD being fully charged when I get hit again and my thrusters and FSD go out. "I'm fucked" I thought. My hull was at 3%.

However, because I just happened to be boosting when they took out my systems, I then became a spinning ship traveling (FA-off, with no thrusters to slow me back down) at full boost speed through space. I kept waiting for the wing to finish me off, not really realizing what was happening until I noticed the "space dust" passing in front of me and noticing I was hurtling through space. It gave me enough time to reboot/repair again and jump out.

Taking suggestions on fun FAS builds. I was using 1x Class 3 beam laser and 2x Class 2 PA/1x Class 3 PA last night. Getting used to playing with fixed weapons.

Actually the trick is not to take the long range passenger missions if you want to make faster profit/level up.

Better to take those tourist missions by stacking then if possible on an ASP explorer.

Example, I take like two tourist missions at the same time of value 9 mil and 11 mil each. Successful completion of both of them gives you like ~25% increase at Range rank or like ~10% increase at Pioneer rank towards the next rank.

Damn, I wish I could find tourist missions that paid out like that that WEREN'T long range. How far are you traveling for those? Most I could get, paywise, was 900,000 and that's with a faction I'm very friendly with.

EDIT: Hull mass of Orca is being halved: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/333023-No-Orca-buff?p=5221655&viewfull=1#post5221655

EDIT 2: They're testing linked missions with CGs: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/335637-New-Combat-Communtiy-Goal-Mechanics

Basically, this would remove the kinda weird "fight a CG for one faction, finish it, then fight in the CG for the other faction". The CGs would be "linked" so that, when one side wins, they actually win, the other faction CG has ended, and then it can possibly progress from there to something else, if they wanted.

Also, from the patch:

Updated the military career progression numbers to speed up progression a bit
Increase super power reputation gains by 25% when gaining faction reputation

Nice.

xAlias

Damn, I wish I could find tourist missions that paid out like that that WEREN'T long range. How far are you traveling for those? Most I could get, paywise, was 900,000 and that's with a faction I'm very friendly with.

Well the average ones you get normally are 5-6 million. As you go higher in ranking in explorer they keep going up for the same routes to usually 10-11 million even.

Distance would be like 3-4 beacons with the max at 250-300 LY from the base station.

The best pay i got so far was 28 million yesterday for a single tourist mission that took me just under an hour to complete.

QGZAawokHIADhe9TeOvxSNvQFC6TSjuaWhH0mDjI2LvejF7vDZFocvnatDfXo-4oYHSGMF-uO8R8kvcf8Sohy55nR_Kv0R0jd6Ka_BrGWH8KdbwGpJHJpBbBvzo2H9bw9D-2aOQHyT1OETVN32L5FrtpMMroYz7ckHnXY0E39_NcSkYRB3q574MBSZO6JIMnKNbWcoUTxWE9FG9EYKJwM6EYo_NDhPehcwNXd4wU8s-4gLHPkx-nJ-IX_E72zi5eIixwYut-C7oWY8OTd6xmIInD6T_jwpJz4rAB5yE-iHDo_4bA5XNnY0GbsDbXu5UjyJUpTXK19aVBkGQS4xPGJITxpnO-BNyB46V10Id-TBbe-GpNUPs8pClYOzl1qD92uUM9iwmv66k2ALQxsJtu5rWX2O9oXX24yevefkf65Nz_W6z7oB1xv-IuXLGIXW4RpS1MtqHIUcNZv8-PT0-xx-NMn3MNquNjMqbMDV_ixnpPrnPPOgZ8Iv2R9Z8sqXQH5B0Bh4X-GXdxzIWOf-ta7_deT8rdOwPJ7rYKLFvBTwAbNWyC1QNHWc54R3FG_4f4kCCzYX9L4JED0nd2nP7YLSOgMscnMjJZygtdbEjAYLiyVt_8P_tS=w1779-h1334-no

Well the average ones you get normally are 5-6 million. As you go higher in ranking in explorer they keep going up for the same routes to usually 10-11 million even.

Distance would be like 3-4 beacons with the max at 250-300 LY from the base station.

The best pay i got so far was 28 million yesterday for a single tourist mission that took me just under an hour to complete.

QGZAawokHIADhe9TeOvxSNvQFC6TSjuaWhH0mDjI2LvejF7vDZFocvnatDfXo-4oYHSGMF-uO8R8kvcf8Sohy55nR_Kv0R0jd6Ka_BrGWH8KdbwGpJHJpBbBvzo2H9bw9D-2aOQHyT1OETVN32L5FrtpMMroYz7ckHnXY0E39_NcSkYRB3q574MBSZO6JIMnKNbWcoUTxWE9FG9EYKJwM6EYo_NDhPehcwNXd4wU8s-4gLHPkx-nJ-IX_E72zi5eIixwYut-C7oWY8OTd6xmIInD6T_jwpJz4rAB5yE-iHDo_4bA5XNnY0GbsDbXu5UjyJUpTXK19aVBkGQS4xPGJITxpnO-BNyB46V10Id-TBbe-GpNUPs8pClYOzl1qD92uUM9iwmv66k2ALQxsJtu5rWX2O9oXX24yevefkf65Nz_W6z7oB1xv-IuXLGIXW4RpS1MtqHIUcNZv8-PT0-xx-NMn3MNquNjMqbMDV_ixnpPrnPPOgZ8Iv2R9Z8sqXQH5B0Bh4X-GXdxzIWOf-ta7_deT8rdOwPJ7rYKLFvBTwAbNWyC1QNHWc54R3FG_4f4kCCzYX9L4JED0nd2nP7YLSOgMscnMjJZygtdbEjAYLiyVt_8P_tS=w1779-h1334-no

Oooh it's probably because my exploration rank is still pretty low.

Volimar

So the station you're suppose to hand in goods for the CG is on lockdown and the commodity market is closed down.

Dammit. I don't even have weapons on my Asp to do bounty hunting.

xAlias

So the station you're suppose to hand in goods for the CG is on lockdown and the commodity market is closed down.

Dammit. I don't even have weapons on my Asp to do bounty hunting.

To be honest, I hate this lockdown game mechanism. Makes no sense to me.

HelloMeow

Multi crew is enabled!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/335843-2-3-Beta-Update-2-01?p=5257812

Hi everyone,

With the latest beta release (2.3 Beta 2.01), we’ve enable the new multicrew feature. We are aware of various issues that are revolving around multicrew currently. Please note that these issues will be fixed in due time. However, at this point, we’ve decided to allow our beta testers to have at it, so we can start compiling any additional issues that get reported. With a feature this complex, this is very much a beta test... we implore you to make sure you raise bug reports for problems you might encounter in our bug reports forum here.

As always, we’ll be closely monitoring the situation, and if it proves that multicrew has too many issues for the moment then we’ll disable it and hammer away at it some more for a future beta build.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

-Enabled multicrew.
-Fix to correctly handle race condition when router type discovery takes longer than mtu discovery
-Don't try and handle invalid IPV6 addresses
-Collect direct telemetry on all IPv6 sync attempts
-Prevent over-counting sync attempts in network statistics due to switching to Turn
-Exclude Teredo addresses when looking for an IPv6 network connection
-Fix credits for beta test starter pack
-Adjusted the amount of exploration ranking awarded from selling exploration data to be 50% of the credits value, 20% of the credits value of Passenger Sightseeing missions and 40% of Long Distance expedition missions

zorbsie

Saw a couple pics on twitter of people checking out multi crew. Anyone here try it yet? Would love to hear some impressions. Would it work for combat CGs?

DrBo42

2nd seat of Asp Explorer is so fucking cool. You can see SO much. If they actually add some explorer gameplay and some sort of helpful role for multi-crew with planet scanners etc it'll be cool as fuck.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
To be honest, I hate this lockdown game mechanism. Makes no sense to me.
There's a lot of WTF in this game. I sat at some station on lockdown waiting for some rare good to bring to an engineer. I didn't feel like flying away and flying back so I just logged in once a day until I could buy what I needed. It took 3 days.

Just recently I got the Sirius permit so I could get rid of these stupid Modular Terminals I have been holding onto after doing massacre missions... I get Sirius allied status. And then it's log in every once in a while over the course of another day or so until the stupid permit mission shows up. Why would you make your game like this?!? Oh and the first time it popped up I clicked it and it just instantly said MISSION FAILED! That occasionally happens with other missions I accept too, but it was just hilariously sad in that context since if I recall accepting the mission should just give you the permit, I don't think I had to fly anywhere or do anything.

Speaking of missions, I've been stacking massacres Quince to become a space billionaire. Works great from a money per hour perspective but god damn does the game crash a lot after you kill a ship. Seems like it's an ancient bug that has yet to be fixed. Even if I have under 10 missions I still get crashes. C'mon guys ya got billions of CPU cycles a second here... you just got to update up to 20 mission statuses without crashing.

Engineer stuff is pretty damn grindy, I didn't do any of it when you needed commodities to engineer a part but that seems COMPLETELY INSANE. Just the fact that the mission reward commodities still exist scare me that they will bring those back.

Back to system permits for a second... I don't get it. Ok so they started dumping engineers behind them, did they serve any purpose before that? Founder's world you can buy stuff and get discounts if you're Elite or a backer, ok, kind of makes sense. Earth behind a pass, ok cool, see the solar system. I guess that makes sense. What the hell do I care about Sirius? Is there anything special to see or do there aside from the galaxy's shittiest engineer? Is there any point to the permits you get for grinding Imperial rank?

By the way I haven't gotten my Imperial rank up mission and I've been 100% on my rank for probably a year? I don't always check for them but when I do they're never there. I did go ahead and try ranking up a faction that was Empire and in-the-bubble figuring that maybe Quince just won't give the rank up mission but still nothing.

I mean, I like the spaceships, I even like the moon buggies. That core stuff is pretty good, it just seems like they constantly whiff on everything else. How did the moon buggies become.... some sort of tool of... corporate espionage? Where to get your engineer data you need to... use your moon buggy... to 'hack' terminals... Moon buggy hacker? Really?

Another insane thing, awful NPC pilots who take a percentage cut of your earnings to fly your fighter. What? Why?!? I had to fire some granny after she earned 100 million for destroying 6 fighters a play session. I guess I'll just hire some idiot expert, and terminate his contract before cashing in missions from now on. 100 million to an NPC that can barely it a fucking target in the most agile ship in the game. Hilarious. They couldn't just make it a flat fee per hour, day, or month. Nope, pay granny 100 million for doing nothing, whereas it took me god knows how long to even get up to 10 million when I started playing. It's kind of an insult.

Sorry, I know this is kind of a drive-by rant. I was just trying to get back into this game ahead of 2.3. I want to fly a fighter for my buddy. Though it seems inefficient as why wouldn't we just take out both of our engineered Anacondas in a wing? Aside from wings kind of sucking. It's hard to do stuff and have fun with friends in this game. It kind of plays better solo. I'm really hoping they can improve that aspect.

So multi-crew is the last of the Horizons stuff right? Is there any word on a roadmap beyond that?

xAlias

There's a lot of WTF in this game. I sat at some station on lockdown waiting for some rare good to bring to an engineer. I didn't feel like flying away and flying back so I just logged in once a day until I could buy what I needed. It took 3 days.

Just recently I got the Sirius permit so I could get rid of these stupid Modular Terminals I have been holding onto after doing massacre missions... I get Sirius allied status. And then it's log in every once in a while over the course of another day or so until the stupid permit mission shows up. Why would you make your game like this?!? Oh and the first time it popped up I clicked it and it just instantly said MISSION FAILED! That occasionally happens with other missions I accept too, but it was just hilariously sad in that context since if I recall accepting the mission should just give you the permit, I don't think I had to fly anywhere or do anything.

Speaking of missions, I've been stacking massacres Quince to become a space billionaire. Works great from a money per hour perspective but god damn does the game crash a lot after you kill a ship. Seems like it's an ancient bug that has yet to be fixed. Even if I have under 10 missions I still get crashes. C'mon guys ya got billions of CPU cycles a second here... you just got to update up to 20 mission statuses without crashing.

Engineer stuff is pretty damn grindy, I didn't do any of it when you needed commodities to engineer a part but that seems COMPLETELY INSANE. Just the fact that the mission reward commodities still exist scare me that they will bring those back.

Back to system permits for a second... I don't get it. Ok so they started dumping engineers behind them, did they serve any purpose before that? Founder's world you can buy stuff and get discounts if you're Elite or a backer, ok, kind of makes sense. Earth behind a pass, ok cool, see the solar system. I guess that makes sense. What the hell do I care about Sirius? Is there anything special to see or do there aside from the galaxy's shittiest engineer? Is there any point to the permits you get for grinding Imperial rank?

By the way I haven't gotten my Imperial rank up mission and I've been 100% on my rank for probably a year? I don't always check for them but when I do they're never there. I did go ahead and try ranking up a faction that was Empire and in-the-bubble figuring that maybe Quince just won't give the rank up mission but still nothing.

I mean, I like the spaceships, I even like the moon buggies. That core stuff is pretty good, it just seems like they constantly whiff on everything else. How did the moon buggies become.... some sort of tool of... corporate espionage? Where to get your engineer data you need to... use your moon buggy... to 'hack' terminals... Moon buggy hacker? Really?

Another insane thing, awful NPC pilots who take a percentage cut of your earnings to fly your fighter. What? Why?!? I had to fire some granny after she earned 100 million for destroying 6 fighters a play session. I guess I'll just hire some idiot expert, and terminate his contract before cashing in missions from now on. 100 million to an NPC that can barely it a fucking target in the most agile ship in the game. Hilarious. They couldn't just make it a flat fee per hour, day, or month. Nope, pay granny 100 million for doing nothing, whereas it took me god knows how long to even get up to 10 million when I started playing. It's kind of an insult.

Sorry, I know this is kind of a drive-by rant. I was just trying to get back into this game ahead of 2.3. I want to fly a fighter for my buddy. Though it seems inefficient as why wouldn't we just take out both of our engineered Anacondas in a wing? Aside from wings kind of sucking. It's hard to do stuff and have fun with friends in this game. It kind of plays better solo. I'm really hoping they can improve that aspect.

So multi-crew is the last of the Horizons stuff right? Is there any word on a roadmap beyond that?

Don't be sorry.

Actually enjoyed reading your post to understand that its not just me who has frustrations with this game which I like so much but some 'mechanics' baffle me.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Don't be sorry.

Actually enjoyed reading your post to understand that its not just me who has frustrations with this game which I like so much but some 'mechanics' baffle me.

Then I'll add one more frustration onto the pile. Saw a haul 32t of whatever to wherever (500 ly away because I'm at Quince) promotion mission! Great! Ok it's kind of a long haul but you know what, I'll do it, get out of the way, and feel like I accomplished something. So I accepted the mission. Did the first 10 jumps or so back, exited the game to grab some food. When I came back the mission and the cargo were both gone. No mission failed notification or anything. Just like I had never accepted it in the first place. Just me floating in the middle of nowhere like an idiot. So the rest of my game session was flying back just to get back to where I was. Cool.

Volimar

New video just shared on the pax stream, showed SRV's losing power and a Thargoid ship aproaching them near the planet's surface.

Top Bottom