• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

zorbsie

Finally got my first elite ranking. Stacked 4 19k Ly missions and spent the time scanning there and back. Did it with 3 days remaining. I'll admit the last 3,000 Ly I didn't even scan the main star. Now to get my federation rank up. I need another 4 levels to get the corvette.

DrBo42

Finally got my first elite ranking. Stacked 4 19k Ly missions and spent the time scanning there and back. Did it with 3 days remaining. I'll admit the last 3,000 Ly I didn't even scan the main star. Now to get my federation rank up. I need another 4 levels to get the corvette.

Grats!

I’m still pretty far from hitting Elite on anything. I’ve been playing off and on since ED came to Steam, so I have around 227 hours now according to Steam. At this rate, trading will probably be my first Elite rank.

F05B1873B1E10154FF099DB7D3FACF5608D29DEA

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
UGH, ship naming is free, BUT putting it on your hull’s exterior will require a store purchase:

Rebel factions appear to have obtained secret information regarding the naming of ships and adding those names to Commanders’ hulls.

We can confirm that this information is correct and naming of ships is a feature that will be added to Elite Dangerous: The Commanders (2.3). Everyone will be able to rename their ship for free in game and there will also be the option to purchase cosmetic name plates which will allow Commanders the ability to display that name on your ship’s hull via a special decal. These additional features will be made available in the near future with a catalogue of designs. We’re looking forward to seeing you display your ship names with pride.

I can also confirm that the character limit for ship naming is determined by width.

Have a good evening.

Zac

Not sure how I feel about this….

vector824

UGH, ship naming is free, BUT putting it on your hull’s exterior will require a store purchase:

It's annoying, but if it's view-able to another player on the HUD after a ship scan I wont be too upset. Now if you're the only person who can see your ship name then it's definitely a pointless feature... except maybe for keeping track of which ship is which.

Confirmed by Frontier Support today: ship names do show on the exterior hull, and they will be limited to 22 characters in length:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5wfsk2/insane_shipname_generator_v20/
Bruh, I've had my ship names in a text document for literally a year.

Am excite.

But ugh. The nickel and diming is getting uncomfortable. Better be a single purchase for all ships.

No beta today.

Getting the feeling that this beta could be pretty rough and last a while.
Yea I think it's gonna be in beta for a few weeks. Given how many networking issues he game is now infamous for, my expectations around stability are low.

Burny

But ugh. The nickel and diming is getting uncomfortable. Better be a single purchase for all ships..

Oh, hahah...ha! :'D Every single decal will cost and we all know it. (Edit: Or they will sell packs)

So long as we can change our ship names at will and still have them show up on scanners I don't give a damn. Selling stickers is pretty ok in my book. There's enough non-cosmetic issues to get worked up about. ^^

Widge

Carrying on with the community goal. Top 50% for the rescue, top 100% for the combat.

Always feel a bit iffy doing the combat, everyone is going round in wings. Plus I got destroyed with cargo when taking on a Cobra Mk3.

Effect

If it's one purchase for all ships then okay depending on the price. If it's a cost per ship type then fuck you Frontier. They're already getting on my nerves with you having to buy ship colors on a ship by ship basis when they clearly have the ability to let a color be had and used across all ships if they wanted. The Black Friday paint scheme does just that.

It's kinda why I'm hesitant to get rid of my Python at the moment. For some reason I decided to buy the tactical paint pack. I like the colors to be honest but it would simply be a wasted purchase if I sold the ship now or simply no longer flew it. I wish I could trade it in for something else.

danowat

Banned
not sure what I am doing wrong, but no matter how many missions or bounties I turn in for the federation I can't get my status above friendly.

it bobbles around 90, and never gets any higher.

what am I doing wrong.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Been running low non funds from bills and such to finish buying my gaming pc so I'm thinking of just buying a laptop to hold me over until then, my laptop I have now is pretty old, like 2010 old or so so it is time for a new one and it should run ED better at higher settings

Burny

If it's one purchase for all ships then okay depending on the price. If it's a cost per ship type then fuck you Frontier. They're already getting on my nerves with you having to buy ship colors on a ship by ship basis when they clearly have the ability to let a color be had and used across all ships if they wanted. The Black Friday paint scheme does just that.

Mh? I thought last black friday the matt black scheme was sold separately per ship type? Wasn't it only the early Horizon buyers who got the full spectrum of matt black schemes?

But concerning the naming labels, if it's handled like the decals, it'd be pretty ok in my book. There's no limit of how many ships, where and how often a decal can be put on. Here's hoping that's how it'll work.

As a companion for my Clipper, the "MSS Duckface", I'll add the "MSS Pinocchio", which seems like a fitting name for an Imperial Courier.

not sure what I am doing wrong, but no matter how many missions or bounties I turn in for the federation I can't get my status above friendly.

it bobbles around 90, and never gets any higher.

what am I doing wrong.

Mh. The only thing I know for sure is that superpower alignment degrades over time, but not by how much over what timespan. If you push it over 90% one evening and leave for a couple of days, you may find it has fallen since.

danowat

Banned
Mh. The only thing I know for sure is that superpower alignment degrades over time, but not by how much over what timespan. If you push it over 90% one evening and leave for a couple of days, you may find it has fallen since.

Hmmm....no matter what I do, I just can't get it over 90, it's annoying!.

Failing that, I might try a different system, can anyone recommend a good system with a lot of fed aligned factions?, and a decent economy / BH zones?

Is there some delay on getting rank up missions? I was cashing in on the Imp ranks and found a good system (Imp aligned, 1 imp faction, station 50 ls from res zone) and I got one mission but the next rank doesn't pop up even though I am at 100%.

Burny

Added prisoner cells as alternatives to passenger cabins

Lolwut? :D Playing prisoner transport for maximum interdiction harassment? ^^

Fixed UI inconsistency, where the 'Pick Cabin' button was located differently to 'Accept Mission' even though both these UI essentially share the exact same user flow

Nice, one! Sounds totally irrelevant, but there was a reddit post a while ago lamenting it. Of course, half the white knights came out and tried to shout it down, but reassuring to see they listened anyway (or had it on their radar in the first place).

Burny

There's actually quiet a bit good stuff and fixes in there!

NPCs
  • Fix NPCs not having the long FSD cooldown after interdictions
  • Get AI pirates to start attacking if the target moves more than 1km or starts charging FSD while the threatening process is ongoing
  • Change pirates that interdict the player to always scan (rather than sometimes attacking without scanning), and to dismiss the player and fly off if the player doesn't have any/enough cargo
  • Threaten time changed to 15s (from 18s) now that it's displayed in chatter
  • Added jump after all ships scanned, which we didn't used to need for these pirates as they always attacked
  • Ignore drones and powerplay cargo when deciding whether to send a generic cargo chaser after the player
  • Pirates should now make it clear what cargo can be dropped to apease them
  • Stop NPCs in ships that can't jump (like fighters) from trying to do so
  • When a pirate has threatened you and started to attack, reiterate the conditions for the attack to stop occasionally, updated based on the amount of cargo already dropped
  • Fix for pirate hunter hostiles not always being wanted

Edit: Mengy!

Engineers - New blueprints added

Detailed Surface scanner (affects how fast you can basic/detailed scan planets):
  • Long Range
  • Wide Angle
  • Fast Scan

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Question to you guys.

I have bought this game while ago just for testing HTC Vive headset, so it was just a few dozens of minutes play and intended to be fully VR for me. But I dumped it after this time finding using keyboard being blind completely not for me - especially if you need to memorize so many keys like in this game.

So the question is: is this game worth playing not in VR? Is it just good game?

Question to you guys.

I have bought this game while ago just for testing HTC Vive headset, so it was just a few dozens of minutes play and intended to be fully VR for me. But I dumped it after this time finding using keyboard being blind completely not for me - especially if you need to memorize so many keys like in this game.

The game existed long before VR. Most players are not playing in VR. So yes, the game is good outside of VR. It was not made for VR or anything like that.

A stick and throttle are recommended for VR play.

Shield Booster and ship armour changes feedback thread

Hello Commanders!

For Beta 2.3, we've added diminishing returns to shield booster stacking that start at about +80% and cap out at +150% from the health of the shield generator (after any modifications on the shield generator have already been applied). The hardness and hardness piercing of huge ships/weapons has gone up by +160% (it was +200% in the experiment we ran during the last interim build beta), hardness piercing of large weapons has gone up by +80% (was +100% in the experiment). Plasma Accelerators and Railguns both count as a larger size class than they actually are for this scaling.

Net result – Big-3 Ships heavily stacking shield boosters will have weaker shields (but combined with 2.2.03 changes those shields regenerate much faster) but they have much tougher hulls, especially against smaller/medium sized weapons. It also inherently pulls the Fer de Lance down a notch, as it can carry a disproportionately large number of shield boosters, and the hardness change will make large weapons a little more effective against its tougher-than-normal hull.

We'd love to get as much feedback on these changes as possible - they were received very positively in the last beta, but we want moar feedback! Please keep on topic, off topic posts may be deleted without warning.

We look forward to your comments and game play observations!

Oh, and that very last release note:

- Increased the credit values of exploration data for scans after this release. Unsold data from previous scans is unaffected by this change.

Question to you guys.

I played and enjoyed it for a long time before getting my Vive. Since playing it with a Vive there's no way I could ever go back though. I play with a HOTAS which makes things easier imo. You can get the Thrustmaster HOTAS X for pretty cheap.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
The game existed long before VR. Most players are not playing in VR. So yes, the game is good outside of VR. It was not made for VR or anything like that.

A stick and throttle are recommended for VR play.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I will need to buy controller for this then and start playing. It is pity to see this game covered in dust in my Steam library.

EDIT:
I played and enjoyed it for a long time before getting my Vive. Since playing it with a Vive there's no way I could ever go back though. I play with a HOTAS which makes things easier imo. You can get the Thrustmaster HOTAS X for pretty cheap.

Yeah VR is good in it. Thanks!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Edit: Mengy!

Yep, looks like I'd better get around to unlocking Lori Jameson before 2.3 lands!

I'm also excited about this:

Lava Spouts now have proximity effects around them. Depending on the ferocity of their eurption, they deal heat and damage to the player. The more ferocious the eruption, the hotter and more damaging they become

Lowered Orca weight to increase jump range and effectiveness

The SRV scanner bug is getting fixed for 2.3!!!!!!

Adjust the sorting of signals being sent to the sinewave scanner GUI/audiorather than tracking a fairly unreliable subset of available signals, they should both now deal with as many as they can manage (8 and 32) ranked in order of signal strength. Fixes known cases where nearby objects can be omitted from the scanner (some entirely, some would be audio-only). Also includes some minor optimisation to the system as a whole

DrBo42

Engineers - New blueprints added

Detailed Surface scanner (affects how fast you can basic/detailed scan planets):
Long Range
Wide Angle
Fast Scan

LOL. Well they picked the easiest method of getting explorers to shut up about no updates. Content? Nah. We can make your shitty scanner better though.

Only Frontier could release a beta where the main attraction isn't included. Good lord, guys.

E-flux

Why in the hell keelback isn't one of the multicrewable ships? Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it the cheapest ship you can install fighter bay to?

Just googled it these are the ships you can install a fighter bay to.

Anaconda
Type 9
Federal Corvette
Imperial Cutter
Beluga
Gunship
Keelback

Why in the hell they didn't update the keelback, that cockpit is 90% empty space anyway and is in a need of an overhaul.. Frontier boggles my mind so often.

New alien encounter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya37h6QPnnw&feature=youtu.be&t=1h26m6s

Player lands on a distress beacon for a mission and finds several destroyed(?) condas, vettes while an alien ship jumps out.

EDIT: Dolphin w/45ly jump range. "Dolphin Explorer - Scanners + SRV. A4 fuel scool. Only engineered the FSD in this one."

EDIT: Love this shot of the new asteroid base: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...terior_of_stargazer_asteroid_base_in_pleione/

I wish there was more variation in actual rings. Would LOVE some giant rocks like that one.

vector824

New alien encounter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya37h6QPnnw&feature=youtu.be&t=1h26m6s

Player lands on a distress beacon for a mission and finds several destroyed(?) condas, vettes while an alien ship jumps out.

EDIT: Dolphin w/45ly jump range. "Dolphin Explorer - Scanners + SRV. A4 fuel scool. Only engineered the FSD in this one."

EDIT: Love this shot of the new asteroid base: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...terior_of_stargazer_asteroid_base_in_pleione/

I wish there was more variation in actual rings. Would LOVE some giant rocks like that one.

All of this is great. I'm definitely going to snag a little Dolphin for some exploration! Dibs on ship name "Flipper".

And that station inside a ring system would be amazing.

Too much excitement for me right now!

Someone made a short video of the "Stargazer" asteroid station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1F94bPm7HM&feature=youtu.be

Flyby of "Fisher's Rest" Mega Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3gSwSIVGY&feature=youtu.be

Also starting to think this new cam could be really useful in learning how to use Flight Assist. My problem is always really understand where and how much ship is moving--I know there are plenty of visual indicators in the cockpit, but seeing my ship in a virtual space may help ease that learning curve.

Top Bottom