• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

My biggest complaint is that there's really nothing for me to actually do with any of these things except go look at them (assuming I'm anywhere near the bubble when they release them). And there's no sense of people actually figuring anything out over a period of time like I think they're supposed to (I get the impression that Frontier intends for this stuff to last the entire patch, but players usually have it solved in a matter of hours). By the time I get home from work on the day the patch drops, there's already an ObsidianAnt video with every last little detail about the stuff.

Well yeah. The hope is that with 2.4 there will actually be activities to devote time to in the war effort. Maybe that even means passenger ships helping with evacuation or troop transports. Naval rank players being called into action by their associated faction. Explorers and haulers getting new colonies/temp colonies or new outposts/stations started. Smuggling or explorer vessels being refit and tasked as scouts for thargoid fleet movements. Sky is the limit really.

The same, universe is shared between PC/XO/PS4.

Can you clarify?

I don't think I can actually *play* with players on other platforms. We do, however, all influence the same galaxy and background simulation.

We can all participate in the same CG, for example, but if you're on PS4 or XOne, I'll never see you or be able to see you on my PC version.

Can you clarify?

I don't think I can actually *play* with players on other platforms. We do, however, all influence the same galaxy and background simulation.

We can all participate in the same CG, for example, but if you're on PS4 or XOne, I'll never see you or be able to see you on my PC version.
That's pretty cool. Aside from everything I've seen already having been explored first by someone else with a year+ head start.

Suppose if I want some of that first time discovery credit, I'll have to get out to the far edges of the galaxy.

Hylian7

I started getting back into this yesterday. What's the best way to make money via combat? Is it still Hazardous RES with a Kill Warrant Scanner? This is other than using A. Lavigny-Duval power stuff, because that takes time to build up.

I have a FDL fully outfitted for combat, and an Anaconda partially outfitted. It is combat capable (although I need practice with it for sure), but not at my "goal" point yet. I have other ships too, but they are generally for other purposes.

Peroroncino

Can you clarify?

By shared universe I meant shared data/missions/powerplay/markets/planet discoveries etc. but no actual cross-play between the platforms.

That's pretty cool. Aside from everything I've seen already having been explored first by someone else with a year+ head start.

Suppose if I want some of that first time discovery credit, I'll have to get out to the far edges of the galaxy.

You won't have to go far. Only a fraction of systems have been explored. There are literally billions of systems.

Kyoufu

So, RES bounty hunting has been going pretty well with my Viper MkIII, however I'm wondering what a good RES ship would be for around 10 million credits? I should have that much when this CG ends.

I find that the Viper's shields and hull are paper thin, so a ship that can take some hits in PVE would be really nice, but I'm guessing they cost in the region of 50-100 million.

Manzoon

Banned
So, RES bounty hunting has been going pretty well with my Viper MkIII, however I'm wondering what a good RES ship would be for around 10 million credits? I should have that much when this CG ends.

I find that the Viper's shields and hull are paper thin, so a ship that can take some hits in PVE would be really nice, but I'm guessing they cost in the region of 50-100 million.

Vulture is the next big combat upgrade. Those large weapon mounts...

Peroroncino

I'm flying Vulture currently and it's bounty hunting-wise it's a breeze compared to cobra and viper.

Kyoufu

Vulture is the next big combat upgrade. Those large weapon mounts...

I'm flying Vulture currently and it's bounty hunting-wise it's a breeze compared to cobra and viper.

currently in a cobra. if i wantes to really put a dent in the CG, i would get a viper?

I think the Cobra and Viper are in the same ballpark in terms of combat. Vulture seems to be the next upgrade.

iosefe

I think the Cobra and Viper are in the same ballpark in terms of combat. Vulture seems to be the next upgrade.

i'll just buy a viper as a secondary ship then give it a go. i can trasnfer modules back and forth at least to lower the cost a bit

iosefe

Just remember don't fly without the rebuy.

indeed. this ship as is, with the few D ranks available at Beagle is 71k rebuy. i got 1.6 million though. so i'll be fine

station only has as low as 4B for power,and FSD. officialy, i can afford to up my power supply and the FSD, but eh.

and no suitable thrusters here

LoveCake

I was looking at this in Game today as it was on the PlayStation shelf and I didn't even know it was out on PS4.

I enjoyed the original game and I loved Frontier: Elite II on my Atari ST and that was the last time I played an Elite game, so how does this compare, I know this maybe an odd thing to ask, but does it feel the same?

Tempted to pick this up.

Peroroncino

Just a heads up. The current CGs are a great way to make some money for you new folks. Sign up for all of the combat ones and turn some in in each system. Even if you're only in the top 100% you'll be getting 400,000 credits or more for each one.

Obsidian Ant can explain it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlm-EVvuF64

Already on it ;)

19488724_1569348033127030_7310731707350825316_o.jpg

About 3 mil

Listonosh

Just delivered some clothing/appliances to Rakapila, now to wait for that sweet profit. I enjoyed Oolite in the past, now having fun with this one.

Yes to the second. Started playing yesterday, was a tad disappointed it wouldn't run with my ps3 HOTAS X (appears to be the same as the HOTAS 4, just that one's blue) but playing with a controller is fine. They've done a good job of mapping the large number of functions to the limited controller real estate using the face buttons as modifiers.

They've also done something I really like: using the sixaxis as a toggle headlook, so you can quickly scan your surroundings without having to constantly balance your controller.

So does that mean the HOTAS 4 doesn't work? Or are you saying it's more or less the same as the HOTAS X so you're not sure why it's not working. I really wanted to buy the HOTAS 4 but need to know if its fully compatible with the game.

As far as the headscanning, are you guys able to look left and right? I have no problems looking up and down, but whenever I look to the left, the screen actually shifts slightly right, but never enough to bring up the monitor, and vice versa for when I look to the right. Is the headscanning supposed to be just to look up and down?

No matter what I do in combat I'm dead in seconds. Literally seconds. It's not even long enough for me to learn what I'm doing wrong. I've read up on it, watched a video, and nobody seems to get murdered as hard as me. Guess it's back to trading...

Adnor

Banned
No matter what I do in combat I'm dead in seconds. Literally seconds. It's not even long enough for me to learn what I'm doing wrong. I've read up on it, watched a video, and nobody seems to get murdered as hard as me. Guess it's back to trading...

Don't imitate iosefe, remember to have a shield generator.

I will never stop bringing it up, io, NEVER

It depends on what you're flying and who you're fighting. Sidewinders and eagles die quick. Vipers should be tough enough but don't take on big ships or even medium sized elites. And don't attack ships flying together in a wing.
Get hull reinforcement modules and a chaff launcher (and maybe a couple of point defence) u should survive long enough to high wake jump away, assuming you aren't taking on enemies you shouldn't.

Note that the Viper looks similar or worse on paper than the Cobra, but in practice it's more manoeuvrable and the guns have better positioning. Cobra is okay for light combat though. Courier and Vulture are where you can start fighting serious enemies.

It depends on what you're flying and who you're fighting. Sidewinders and eagles die quick. Vipers should be tough enough but don't take on big ships or even medium sized elites. And don't attack ships flying together in a wing.
Get hull reinforcement modules and a chaff launcher (and maybe a couple of point defence) u should survive long enough to high wake jump away, assuming you aren't taking on enemies you shouldn't.

Note that the Viper looks similar or worse on paper than the Cobra, but in practice it's more manoeuvrable and the guns have better positioning. Cobra is okay for light combat though. Courier and Vulture are where you can start fighting serious enemies.

Thanks for the info! Currently flying a Cobra Mk3. Probably need more upgrades.

Hylian7

So thanks to my lack of experience flying an Anaconda for combat, I have slightly screwed up my weapon placement on it.

I can't remember exactly what I have where, but bottom line, on some of my hardpoints I have turreted pulse lasers on the top hardpoints, and on the underside I have two multicannons that are gimballed. The placement of the cannons were a mistake, as it's extremely hard to get anywhere where both can hit a ship. Is there any recommendation for those underside hardpoints? I feel like those are the hardest to pick a viable weapon for.

Edit: Here are my current hardpoints:

H: 4B(G) Cannon
L: 3F(T) Pulse Laser
M: 2B(F) Railgun
S: 1G(G) Multicannon

The multicannons are the problem becuase 90% of the time they don't get to shoot shit and are kind of useless. What should I put there instead?

Trouble

Banned
So thanks to my lack of experience flying an Anaconda for combat, I have slightly screwed up my weapon placement on it.

I can't remember exactly what I have where, but bottom line, on some of my hardpoints I have turreted pulse lasers on the top hardpoints, and on the underside I have two multicannons that are gimballed. The placement of the cannons were a mistake, as it's extremely hard to get anywhere where both can hit a ship. Is there any recommendation for those underside hardpoints? I feel like those are the hardest to pick a viable weapon for.

Edit: Here are my current hardpoints:

H: 4B(G) Cannon

The multicannons are the problem becuase 90% of the time they don't get to shoot shit and are kind of useless. What should I put there instead?

I leave the small hardpoints empty on my Anaconda. Huge gimbaled multi-cannon and turreted pulse cannons on large and medium. I have some shield boosters and chaff launchers in the utility slots.

My Anaconda isn't really fitted for combat though, it's mainly geared towards long range cargo missions. I just don't run from NPC interdictions.

Yea the slider idea has been talked about for a long time amongst the community. I'd like to see it implemented...maybe. I'm a Diablo player so I'm quite comfortable with the idea of rng on my items. It makes getting special things that much more memorable. But I don't know that it works so well in ED. A full evaluation is in order IMO. I also really like the idea of being able to choose your rewards for missions. It would feel a lot less grindy. If I have to sit in deep space hoping for a USS ever again I might scream. The gameplay is in the missions. That should always be the BEST place to get any mat you need.

I leave the small hardpoints empty on my Anaconda.
Don't do this.

Oh my god, i just learned this game has (or not technically, i guess) several in-universe radio stations that seem to be managed by the community. Like fucking radio shows and all of it. I can't want to get into this when i have time eventually.

Hylian7

I leave the small hardpoints empty on my Anaconda. Huge gimbaled multi-cannon and turreted pulse cannons on large and medium. I have some shield boosters and chaff launchers in the utility slots.

My Anaconda isn't really fitted for combat though, it's mainly geared towards long range cargo missions. I just don't run from NPC interdictions.

I actually tried putting railguns on the small hardpoints. THAT was the right decision for sure. I cleaned house in a Hazardous RES just now.

Why? I'm not trying to maximize combat effectiveness in my loadout. The extra weight and power draw for not much extra firepower just doesn't seem worth it.

I mean, if the prospect of 2x class 1 weapons impacting your weight and power draw in a damn Anaconda are actually points of concern for you, there are deeper issues in your build that you need to consider before doing anything else, ever.

Assuming that's not the case and your build isn't doofus, leaving hardpoints empty is an extremely sub-optimal approach explicitly because Engineers exist. Unless your ship is a pure Exploration, Trade, or Mining ship, of course. With basic grade 1 engineering, t is now trivial to make your class 1 hardpoints an important part of your build. You can put corrosive multicannons on one of them and amplify the damage of all your weapons on a target's hull. You can but shield breaker torpedoes on them in the event you find yourself dealing with another commander as a "just in case" set of weapons. You could put Emissive weapons on them to keep targets lit and targeted through silent running and heat sink discharges. You could put healing lasers on them and buff wingmate shield regen rates in CZs or RES sites.

Point is, you have no shortage of ways to make them extremely useful at a negligible cost and weight (lol). Don't waste perfectly good hard points but not putting anything in them in 2017.

Are Bi-weave shields good?

Very good, yes.

You guys with your giant, 140m+ ships and I'm just flying with a small Viper Mk3, happy to have 2m in the bank lol

Pay us no mind. We've been here for literally years.

Top Bottom