• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

i have 23 bounties in, and am in the top 50%. how many might i need for top 25?

The guys over on the forums try to keep track of this sort of thing.

They set up Google Docs and it's not perfect as it relies on people entering their data but it can give you an idea of what is needed for each tier.

Here is an example for the one in Asellus Primus.

They estimate based on the data they have that it's approx 1.7 Million in bounties to hit the top 25%

It's not the number of bounties that matter, it's the number of credits earned on the bounties. 1 bounty of 100,000 credits counts just the same as 10 bounties of 10,000 credits.

iosefe

The guys over on the forums try to keep track of this sort of thing.

They set up Google Docs and it's not perfect as it relies on people entering their data but it can give you an idea of what is needed for each tier.

Here is an example for the one in Asellus Primus.

They estimate based on the data they have that it's approx 1.7 Million in bounties to hit the top 25%

It's not the number of bounties that matter, it's the number of credits earned on the bounties. 1 bounty of 100,000 credits counts just the same as 10 bounties of 10,000 credits.

i guess i'll just enjoy being in the 50%

then again, i got 5 days

Oh man, I finally had a bit more time today and finally finished my very first real mission in the game and it was intense as fuck.

As very first mission I chose a salvage mission and I had to bring back a black box for 15000 credits.
Sounds easy I thought and accepted it. The beginning of the mission was relatively clear, I had to fly to that specific system, to a specific point and scan something.
On that point, I didn't know how bad this game is in telling you exactly what to do. Maybe bad is a wrong word but I've got lost several times in this mission because the menus and the user interface are such a clusterfuck, oh my god. I was flying to the exact location but there was nothing, only a capsule and I couldn't do anything with it and while I searched and stand there, looking to my messages or the questlog for what to do, several people around me starting to shoot each other, you heared and saw several lasers around me while some other guys also tried to do the same mission. Somehow, I don't know how exactly anymore, I triggered a new signal and a little satellite things appeared. After a few minutes I recognized my questlog updated and I had to fly to some other place. Ok, here we go, let's jump again.
After the jump I recognized my fuel was on 50% but I thought how much longer can this 15k mission go? And continued. The flight to that location took a few minutes which surprised me because all you did before was jump jump jump from one little place to the other and now I really could fly a bit through the space. On the location where I had to go, it wasn't really clear what to do now again, so I searched around, saw some interesting things and thought maybe if I jump into that I find something and even tried it one time but there was only a destroyed ship in pieces in space so I jumped out again. (serious, are supercruise jumps only an excuse for loading times? It feels like that) Google didn't really helped so I continued to search until the quest updated and I had the right location to supercruise into. I had to click on contacts on the now appearing Blackbox (really, nobody tells you that objects appear under contacts, everything is so encapsulated) and I could finally picking it up. I loved that picking up stuff mini game, that is great implemented, well done.

But it wasn't over, now on 40% maybe 35% I jumped back to the beginning to end the quest and after that jump I was only at 10%. I flew to the city station where I did the supercruise again and only had around 5% left or so. I was in front of that cube but I couldn't F'N find the entrance no matter how long I let the cube spin. I couldn't understand it, it made no sense. I googled it and some people tried to explain it but while my brain was still fucked about how this spinning worked I found a few good tips with the arrows on the hologram and on my last percents of fuel I finally found the entrance and docked on again. (Thankfully docking is somehow no problem for me in this game)
It took me 2 whole hours, to rescue a little black box with only flying from a to b to c and back to a again for laughable 15k credits but it was an awesome moment when I finally finished this mission.
It didn't felt anywhere near as long as 2 hours and for just flying around, it was really intense and I was really happy that I had enough freaking fuel.
I love it.

Jedi2016

You guys with your giant, 140m+ ships and I'm just flying with a small Viper Mk3, happy to have 2m in the bank lol
Hey, we all started with a Sidey and a thousand credits. Just give it time.

And she's got some upgrades on her, so it's more like 350m now... ;)

hobozero

You guys with your giant, 140m+ ships and I'm just flying with a small Viper Mk3, happy to have 2m in the bank lol

I have 140mil and I can't find a big expensive ship I am happy with :( Been playing for years, and I keep going back to the small ships :)

You may find yourself in a big, empty Corvette someday, pining for that Viper ;)

What's nice is with Engineer mods you can endlessly tweak the smaller ships. I can never seem to stop puttering with my Courier.

i guess i'll just enjoy being in the 50%

then again, i got 5 days

Those numbers don't stop going up though. By the time they get near the highest Tier (bounty ones rarely ever end via the timer, normally always hit the tier cap) it'll be higher. Not sure how much higher but the 25% and under brackets are usually pretty far out.

I have 140mil and I can't find a big expensive ship I am happy with :( Been playing for years, and I keep going back to the small ships :)

You may find yourself in a big, empty Corvette someday, pining for that Viper ;)

What's nice is with Engineer mods you can endlessly tweak the smaller ships. I can never seem to stop puttering with my Courier.

Get a Clipper, love flying it

I will never give up my diamondback explorer.

iosefe

Those numbers don't stop going up though. By the time they get near the highest Tier (bounty ones rarely ever end via the timer, normally always hit the tier cap) it'll be higher. Not sure how much higher but the 25% and under brackets are usually pretty far out.

i'm getting close at least. current 1.56 mil

iosefe

i accidentally hit an alliance dude while shooting missles and got a bounty. now i have atimer on it in the trasnactions

Trouble

Banned
I mean, if the prospect of 2x class 1 weapons impacting your weight and power draw in a damn Anaconda are actually points of concern for you, there are deeper issues in your build that you need to consider before doing anything else, ever.

Assuming that's not the case and your build isn't doofus, leaving hardpoints empty is an extremely sub-optimal approach explicitly because Engineers exist. Unless your ship is a pure Exploration, Trade, or Mining ship, of course. With basic grade 1 engineering, t is now trivial to make your class 1 hardpoints an important part of your build. You can put corrosive multicannons on one of them and amplify the damage of all your weapons on a target's hull. You can but shield breaker torpedoes on them in the event you find yourself dealing with another commander as a "just in case" set of weapons. You could put Emissive weapons on them to keep targets lit and targeted through silent running and heat sink discharges. You could put healing lasers on them and buff wingmate shield regen rates in CZs or RES sites.

Point is, you have no shortage of ways to make them extremely useful at a negligible cost and weight (lol). Don't waste perfectly good hard points but not putting anything in them in 2017.

Interesting. I didn't realize any of the low level Engineer stuff was useful at all and I've mostly avoided Engineers waiting for the mythical 'fix' everyone keeps hoping is around the corner.

Hylian7

Keeping in mind that I had been largely out of the Elite loop for a while, I gave launching a fighter a try in a fight...lol

Now the pilot I had was Mostly Harmless, because I didn't want to spend the cash on a better one, but...lol. I think even an Elite pilot would have done fuck all. It launched and got vaporized almost instantly. I tried myself in a regular RES, and again, I was nearly decimated from full to zero against a couple of Sidewinders. I got down to 9%, and the mothership helped me (did most of the damage). The only thing I really did useful was take down their shields with my fighter's dual beam lasers. I have the Imperial Fighter with the two beam lasers and one heat sink.

Is the general concensus that fighters are by and large useless? They certainly seem like a good idea, and of course they are super mobile, more agile than any of the other ships in the game, but goddamn if you fart in their general direction they die.

120v

so i've taken to dusting off my Rift, thinking about giving this game a second shot...

thing is, i'm wondering, has anybody ever succesfully put in hours with this game with just a an xbox controller? just seems like it was made for kb&m (which i don't want to use in VR) or a HOTAS (which i'm not about to shell out for) as i can never do well in the tutorials for the life of me, especially the landing

that there's a ps4 version coming out has me thinking it's possible, so i'm inclined to give it another go, but i'm just worried it's kind of a futile endeavor here

Peroroncino

ayy, currently at beagle. we should wing up

I'm on PS4, just like Kyoufu. :D

so i've taken to dusting off my Rift, thinking about giving this game a second shot...

thing is, i'm wondering, has anybody ever succesfully put in hours with this game with just a an xbox controller? just seems like it was made for kb&m (which i don't want to use in VR) or a HOTAS (which i'm not about to shell out for) as i can never do well in the tutorials for the life of me, especially the landing

that there's a ps4 version coming out has me thinking it's possible, so i'm inclined to give it another go, but i'm just worried it's kind of a futile endeavor here

PS4 version already came out and I love playing on the controller. Basically everything important can be mapped thanks to face buttons modifiers.

Does Valve frown upon buying a game you refunded before and potentially asking for a refund again? I bought Elite before, and I had a lot of issues getting it set up with my Steam controller and HTC Vive, so I refunded it. I've looked up some set up guides since then, and I'm feeling like I didn't give it a fair chance.

Getting really sick of of over shooting my destinations every time >:[
Also refilling ammunition should refill my drones.

Otherwise I'm loving it

DrBo42

Getting really sick of of over shooting my destinations every time >:[
Also refilling ammunition should refill my drones.

Otherwise I'm loving it

Don't let the time remaining to target drop below 7 seconds and you'll never miss. I think you might even be able to get away with 6 but that's sketchy.

Fasty

Okay, but how? Can you do missions together?

Yes you can, to an extent. This may have changed, but if you're in a "wing" (basically a squad) with another player/players, you will receive a portion of their profits when they turn in missions or sell things etc.

In the latest update, you can actually co-pilot on another players ship, but I haven't done it yet so I'm not sure how it works.

Atomski

Ive been using xbox controller since day one..

shmoglish

The Xbox Version is out for a year and just like the Ps4 game it works great. Cant compare it to kbm, so this may be the best way to play it, but it works absolutely fine with a gamepad.

I actually tried putting railguns on the small hardpoints. THAT was the right decision for sure. I cleaned house in a Hazardous RES just now.

I have seeker missile racks on my Conda's small hardpoints. Works well. The rest are a mix of gimballed pulse lasers and multicannons. The huge hardpoints is a multi.

Keeping in mind that I had been largely out of the Elite loop for a while, I gave launching a fighter a try in a fight...lol

Now the pilot I had was Mostly Harmless, because I didn't want to spend the cash on a better one, but...lol. I think even an Elite pilot would have done fuck all. It launched and got vaporized almost instantly. I tried myself in a regular RES, and again, I was nearly decimated from full to zero against a couple of Sidewinders. I got down to 9%, and the mothership helped me (did most of the damage). The only thing I really did useful was take down their shields with my fighter's dual beam lasers. I have the Imperial Fighter with the two beam lasers and one heat sink.

Is the general concensus that fighters are by and large useless? They certainly seem like a good idea, and of course they are super mobile, more agile than any of the other ships in the game, but goddamn if you fart in their general direction they die.

I find fighters really useful. Having a fighter watch my back means I can use more powerful gimballed weapons instead of turrets on my Conda. And often my fighter has stripped an enemy's shield before I get there to destroy the hull.

Fighters are also great at distracting attention from an enemy's so you can put all your pips into engines and weapons.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
So does that mean the HOTAS 4 doesn't work? Or are you saying it's more or less the same as the HOTAS X so you're not sure why it's not working. I really wanted to buy the HOTAS 4 but need to know if its fully compatible with the game.

As far as the headscanning, are you guys able to look left and right? I have no problems looking up and down, but whenever I look to the left, the screen actually shifts slightly right, but never enough to bring up the monitor, and vice versa for when I look to the right. Is the headscanning supposed to be just to look up and down?

The HOTAS 4 (the blue one) is fine, it's officially supported. The HOTAS X (the red one) isn't supported. I'm just disappointed that it's not supported since the X does work with War Thunder on PS4.

And as for headlook: you tilt/roll your controller left and right to look left and right, you don't turn/yaw it.

I find it enjoyable enough (certainly works better for the buggy), but I purchased a chatpad for the controller as well. It's just seen as a regular keyboard on windows so I can put additional functions on it, fire a quick message to commanders, and look up systems in the map without having to grab a keyboard.

I have to peak down the nose hole a little to see it, but otherwise it works nicely with the game.

Not sure if anyone's said it yet, but there are important semi-hidden mechanics around weapon sizes. You might notice that bigger weapons are much more effective than their Damage or DPS stat implies.

Weapons have an armour piercing stat and ships have a hidden hardness stat.
The maths are a bit tricky but the ballpark result is that small weapons are penalised when attacking the hull of 'big' targets. The opposite is NOT true, so large weapons do NOT get bonuses for attacking small targets.

Roughly speaking, small guns do 33% less damage against the hull of a 'medium' ship and 66% less against a large ship, while medium guns do 33% less damage against 'large' ships.
This penalty does not apply to shield damage.

These numbers aren't exact, each ship and weapon is slightly different, and there are some exceptions, like the railgun or python that act bigger than they are.

The net effect is to make small weapons a lot less powerful when attacking big ships, while protecting small ships from getting obliterated when hit by large weapons.

Kyoufu

From what I've read it seems that fighters are best utilised as NPC helpers for extra damage while you control the mothership.

Freeman76

I played a lot of X-3 Terran Conflict, to the point where I got a bit bored if I'm honest.

I thought this game was like an MMO version of that?

I heard this came out for the PS4 but I am so busy lately. Can you enjoy everything in the game in solo mode? Or will you be missing out on stuff if you go solo?

SmartBase

I played a lot of X-3 Terran Conflict, to the point where I got a bit bored if I'm honest.

I thought this game was like an MMO version of that?

If you're after space combat I reckon Elite could keep your interest but it doesn't have any of the management seen in the X games. Supposedly there is an economy in Elite but it's all invisible so trading is hardly satisfying. If you're after interesting exploration I wouldn't even bother.

-Amon-

I was in the beta back at the time and played quite a bit of this game when it came out, but unluckily for me my laptop is not powerful enough and patch after patch the game became unplayable, so I stopped.

I have a PS4 pro, and I would like to double dip.

But I think that without a remodeled user interface text would be too difficult to read on a tv.

Did they change something for the console version or the interface is the same ?

Thanks.

Peroroncino

So... uhm... I just killed John Shepard, welp, Mass Effect is truly dead:

19488552_1569348036460363_7530202842179701275_o.jpg

And here I was surprised to see scratches on his hull from my laser fire [nice detail]:

19488780_1569348043127029_4793483070886284755_o.jpg

And last but not least, that view, damn...

19693514_1569348039793696_3888948363155401720_o.jpg

I keep getting small ships in high intensity RES. Feels bad man.

Pro tips:

1.) If you see any HUMAN Commanders out there, leaving and returning will NOT reset the table of ships spawning. At which time you have 2 choices:

a) switch to Solo mode. The spawn table will always reset.

b) find a different RES site.

2.) If after 90 seconds you don't see medium or large ships, it's time to exit the RES site and re-enter OR simply exit to the main menu and re-enter. Either way, you reset the spawn table. It may take a few resets (or several), but you'll get a better table sooner or later.

3.) When possible, let the cops do most of the work on Wanted ships. Save your ammo and shields. You get the same credit for helping shoot holes in the last 50% of that hull as you would if you took him on from 100% shields.

So... uhm... I just killed John Shepard, welp, Mass Effect is truly dead:

Swap that Point Defense out for a Shield Booster or a Heat Sink launcher. Or more Chaff. PD isn't helping you, I assure you.

Very nice screens. FDev went into great detail to make ships look good. Especially in combat.

Kyoufu

Pro tips:

1.) If you see any HUMAN Commanders out there, leaving and returning will NOT reset the table of ships spawning. At which time you have 2 choices:

2.) If after 90 seconds you don't see medium or large ships, it's time to exit the RES site and re-enter OR simply exit to the main menu and re-enter. Either way, you reset the spawn table. It may take a few resets (or several), but you'll get a better table sooner or later.

3.) When possible, let the cops do most of the work on Wanted ships. Save your ammo and shields. You get the same credit for helping shoot holes in the last 50% of that hull as you would if you took him on from 100% shields.

Good tips. I've been playing in Solo and using the exit game method to reset. Lots of bad spawns. :(

However, I just got into a good one with Anacondas, Pythons etc. Very lucrative.... until I had to leave because my poor Viper couldn't take much more hits. :(

I must say I'm not a fan of RES that aren't in the ring with asteroids. Not much of a resource extraction site if it's away from the resources...

Soi-Fong

Pro tips:

Swap that Point Defense out for a Shield Booster or a Heat Sink launcher. Or more Chaff. PD isn't helping you, I assure you.

Very nice screens. FDev went into great detail to make ships look good. Especially in combat.

I tend to use the cops at least start shooting before I do on anything bigger than a Python.

Been using my Imperial Courier and damn the shield boosters help a lot. I have 3 of those and a chaff launcher and I haven't seen my shields go down to 0% yet. Have a Medium Beam Laser on the bottom while on the sides I have medium Burst Lasers.

Also dudes play this on VR of you Can! Even 2 years after the DK2 came out, it is still one of the best VR experiences out there.

I actually find I cannot play this game on a normal screen anymore as VR has just spoiled me.

Peroroncino

Already have 2 shield boosters. And that point defense proved useful when I poked the wrong ship without any backup, I often saw green lasers shooting up rockets in front of me. Not sure how it works when I'm running [PD is on the back] but it's been pretty useful for when I'm head to head against someone who hurls rockets at me.

Top Bottom