• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Soi-Fong

So in Asellus Primus, I'm in the top 50%. Wondering if it's worth it to get to the top 25% or just move onto Eravate and get that started. Opinions here?

Good tips. I've been playing in Solo and using the exit game method to reset. Lots of bad spawns. :(

However, I just got into a good one with Anacondas, Pythons etc. Very lucrative.... until I had to leave because my poor Viper couldn't take much more hits. :(

I must say I'm not a fan of RES that aren't in the ring with asteroids. Not much of a resource extraction site if it's away from the resources...

Oh yes, I pretty much exclusively go to RES sites that are part of planetary rings. Asteroid belt RES sites are trash.

Oh also, if you're looking for some pretty exciting RES action, might I recommend:

Tau-3 Eridani 2: A ring.

When the star sneaks behind the planet and you're fighting in an ring with your headlights on... :O

So in Asellus Primus, I'm in the top 50%. Wondering if it's worth it to get to the top 25% or just move onto Eravate and get that started. Opinions here?

It's usually worth it to get as high as you can, but it really depends on how much more work is required, if you reasonably enjoy the required activity, and whether you can make as much or more money than you would get in the next Tier by doing something else with the same amount of time.

In my experience, CG climbing is the most efficient, approved way to make money in the game.

Also dudes play this on VR of you Can! Even 2 years after the DK2 came out, it is still one of the best BE experiences out there.
Yes, yes it is.

Peroroncino

Is it possible to drop from the 25/50%? Because if so I think it'd best to focus on 1 system and just do bare minimum in the rest for the guaranteed reward.

Is it possible to drop from the 25/50%? Because if so I think it'd best to focus on 1 system and just do bare minimum in the rest for the guaranteed reward.

Yes, it is possible to drop. You're not "locked in" until that CG ends. Your Reward Tier is purely a function of the amount of work everyone is putting in through the end of the CG (and how much more you did than average).

Soi-Fong

I'm thinking it is possible to drop out that's why I brought up the question.

The bare minimum thing is a good idea. Better to do some of the travelling, get on guaranteed credits then just focus on one.

Also on PC anyone have any good playlists to put on for this game?

Kyoufu

4 days left to go, I'd be surprised if you didn't drop %s if you stopped contributing. I dropped from 25% to 50% overnight so had to climb back up this morning. Need to hit the top 10% before it's all over!

Soi-Fong

4 days left to go, I'd be surprised if you didn't drop %s if you stopped contributing. I dropped from 25% to 50% overnight so had to climb back up this morning. Need to hit the top 10% before it's all over!

Shit so it is possible. I just looked this morning and I'm still in the top 50, but just gonna get onto Eravate real quick to get the min credits there then just keep farming Asellus Primus.

Peroroncino

I contributed around 12 mil to Asselus before I went to sleep yesterday, I better be in that top 10% right now or I'm gonna riot...
and gather another 12 mil, lmao

Synth

I tend to use the cops at least start shooting before I do on anything bigger than a Python.

Been using my Imperial Courier and damn the shield boosters help a lot. I have 3 of those and a chaff launcher and I haven't seen my shields go down to 0% yet. Have a Medium Beam Laser on the bottom while on the sides I have medium Burst Lasers.

Also dudes play this on VR of you Can! Even 2 years after the DK2 came out, it is still one of the best BE experiences out there.

I actually find I cannot play this game on a normal screen anymore as HE has just spoiled me.

I'm guessing you typed this on your phone, and it doesn't like the word VR.

So does that mean the HOTAS 4 doesn't work? Or are you saying it's more or less the same as the HOTAS X so you're not sure why it's not working. I really wanted to buy the HOTAS 4 but need to know if its fully compatible with the game.

The HOTAS 4 does work. He meant that the HOTAS X is basically identical to the HOTAS 4, but the HOTAS 4 is PS4 compatible, and the X is only PS3.

I was thinking on buying the HOTAS 4, because I was struggling a bit with the controls... but I made some adjustments (put yal on the left stick and roll on the right) and now everything is ticking. I am in love with this game. It is hard to find the HOTAS 4 for a reasonable price here in Brazil.

Kyoufu

I contributed around 12 mil to Asselus before I went to sleep yesterday, I better be in that top 10% right now or I'm gonna riot...
and gather another 12 mil, lmao

I think 5 mil is the minimum for top 10%. We should wing up $_$

Which ship are you using?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Just bought my first new ship, an Adder. Going to do some jobs with the local trucking cooperative then start bussing passengers once I get enough rep.

Also I need to be way more observant. Noticed some missions that appeared to be hauling missions but with the platform I was on as the destination. I thought it was a bug or something, so I picked them up. I left the station, then docked again. When nothing happened I looked at the missions again and realised they were missions to find stuff elsewhere and deliver to the station. thhbhphpbhppp

Have they made mining viable yet? I just want to mine stuff in my 'conda and not worry about combat.

Mining can be viable. Will improve a bit in 2.4 as well since you'll be able to synthesis limpets.

Now if they would only let you specify what the limpets pick up instead of them picking up everything.

Manzoon

Banned

I think the Cobra and Viper are in the same ballpark in terms of combat. Vulture seems to be the next upgrade.

Sorry, thread moved really fast since I last posted. The Vulture is one of the best raw combat ships, it can hold it's own against larger ships if you are careful about staying in blind spots. It has weirdly powerful lateral thrusters, so learn to use those effectively.

Personally I skipped it and went straight to a Fer-de-Lance because of some weird CG that had a huge payout a long while ago, but I've got a good buddy that upgraded from a Viper mkIII to the Vulture and it was like night and day for him.

You can use one of the outfitter pages to see how expensive it will be to upgrade all the modules, personally I'd put one fixed pulse laser and a gimballed multi-cannon on it and then start upgrading modules. Don't feel like you need to upgrade everything all the way, just getting to that D level will be sufficient.

This would be a nice initial outfitting, and that 3 million number for additional costs seems to be right on the money:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0pbthFblddnsif3147l06000m03B202---.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==

EDIT: there is room for expansion in that, the A modules start getting really expensive, and I'm not sure if that power distributor can keep up with a large burst laser, so experiment a bit before getting into some real combats.

*IMPORTANT* I forgot to put a fuel scoop on that, massive brain fart, you want that probably, haha.

What Manzoon said.

As far as pure combat goes for small ships:

Vulture >>>>> Imperial Courier > Diamondback Scout ~ Viper 3 > Cobra 3 > Viper 4 ~ Asp Scout

The Vulture is easily the apex predator in the small ship fleet. Its Class 3 hardpoints may be few, but they provide 2x-3x the damage of a Class 2 hardpoint and they do more damage to medium and large ship hulls (game mechanics: bigger weapons receive a smaller damage reduction penalty against medium and large ships than Class 1 and Class 2 weapons do). If your goal is to hunt Medium and Large game, you MUST have a Vulture. Just be sure to do a power plant mod on it so you aren't so power constrained.

For future reference to all new players: The Fer de Lance is *the* apex predator in the game currently, regardless of ship size. It is the X-Wing of Elite Dangerous, if you will. Speed, firepower, maneuverability, shield strength...and a Class 4 hard point that does huge damage. It has it all. If combat is your bread n butter, you will have a FdL in your collection at some point.

That said, the most fun small ship in the game (IMO) is the Imperial Courier. Style, firepower, speed, and some of the strongest shields in the game (relatively). Again, if your aim is combat, make plans to get yourself some rep in the Empire and buy one. It's just too sleek and too fun to not have one.

Manzoon

Banned
Vulture <3

@Manzoon

Fer-de-Lance? I'm tempted to make it my next buy but... damn that Python looks so much better.

I skipped the Python and went to an Anaconda, haha. My upgrade path was really weird in this game due to some huge payouts from some CGs that came hot and fast. I did buy a Python later to outfit it for mining, it's a good ship than can be anything you want, think of it as a beefier Cobra mkIII, but isn't quite up to the Fer-de-Lance in terms of raw combat potential (the FDL is the smallest ship with a huge weapon mounts, it is also still really fast for that size). The FDL has crap all for module room so you can't really use it to haul cargo, while the python can haul a decent amount if you want to outfit it for that.

Python also has a great jump range so getting around the bubble is less of a pain (FDL's is terrible), and could be an okay exploration ship lite if you wanted to try that hat on for a bit.

Soi-Fong

What Manzoon said.

Vulture >>>>> Imperial Courier > Diamondback Scout ~ Viper 3 > Cobra 3 > Viper 4 ~ Asp Scout

The Vulture is easily the apex predator in the small ship fleet. Its Class 3 hardpoints may be few, but they provide 2x-3x the damage of a Class 2 hardpoint and they do more damage to medium and large ship hulls (game mechanics: bigger weapons receive a smaller damage reduction penalty against medium and large ships than Class 1 and Class 2 weapons do). If your goal is to hunt Medium and Large game, you MUST have a Vulture. Just be sure to do a power plant mod on it so you aren't so power constrained.

For future reference to all new players: The Fer de Lance is *the* apex predator in the game currently, regardless of ship size. It is the X-Wing of Elite Dangerous, if you will. Speed, firepower, maneuverability, shield strength...and a Class 4 hard point that does huge damage. It has it all. If combat is your bread n butter, you will have a FdL in your collection at some point.

That said, the most fun small ship in the game (IMO) is the Imperial Courier. Style, firepower, speed, and some of the strongest shields in the game (relatively). Again, if your aim is combat, make plans to get yourself some rep in the Empire and buy one. It's just too sleek and too fun to not have one.

I love my Courier!! :) I'm saving up though for a Vulture. Sold my Viper and Eagle as well.

Any recommendations on shields for the Courier?

la_briola

What Manzoon said.

Federal Assault Ship is also fun. (If they didn't nerf it in the past year or so.)

edit: does it count as "small"?
edit2: ok it is medium, forgot.

Vulture is really great at punching up versus larger ships, I've solo'd elite 'Condas by stapling myself to the underbelly and attacking the power plant. I have one fixed beam and one gimballed multicannon, great to keep tracked and chip at shields and then drive home damage with the beam.

Kyoufu

Accidentally shot a ship before scanning it and bam, Wanted. Panicked so hard, I ran screaming!

Made it back to the station with 1 million in bounties, whew. The question is, how do I remove the Wanted status? The local authority contacts don't do anything at the station.

Accidentally shot a ship before scanning it and bam, Wanted. Panicked so hard, I ran screaming!

Made it back to the station with 1 million in bounties, whew. The question is, how do I remove the Wanted status? The local authority contacts don't do anything at the station.

Jump out the system and wait about 5 minutes, you'll see the bounty turn dormant

Peroroncino

I just went to Rakapila and discovered some Hazardous RES sites, holy this those sites are LIT, anybody on PS4 with a decent ship up for wing? Because there's constant action, but no security to run to if things get serious. First time I'm literally encouraged to party.

btw. is mining MUCH better in sites like these? Because the risk seems pretty big.

I just went to Rakapila and discovered some Hazardous RES sites, holy this those sites are LIT, anybody on PS4 with a decent ship up for wing? Because there's constant action, but no security to run to if things get serious. First time I'm literally encouraged to party.

btw. is mining MUCH better in sites like these? Because the risk seems pretty big.

Apparently the asteroids get a yield bonus (more chunks per asteroid before they run dry) in a RES. Bonus starts at about 20km and goes up the closer you are.
It is supposed to be a very big bonus, like up to 5x the yield or something.
However, I rarely mine and I'm not insane enough to try it in a RES. My Clipper makes short work of the idiotic pirates that attack in a generic ring, but the enemies come thick and fast even in a low RES.

Kyoufu

Jump out the system and wait about 5 minutes, you'll see the bounty turn dormant

Thanks, that was pretty easy.

I broke into the top 10% CG at Asellus Primus with 5.9 million bounties. I wish I had a better ship than the Viper for the larger ships to make this go quicker.

Also thanks Manzoon for the Vulture build! Looking forward to getting it.

Oh, question.
Everytime I fly out of a space station , when I'm right behind the slot, I get a big warning for something and a threat that they would kill me for about 5 seconds and then everything is normal.

What do I do wrong?

Oh, question.
Everytime I fly out of a space station , when I'm right behind the slot, I get a big warning for something and a threat that they would kill me for about 5 seconds and then everything is normal.

What do I do wrong?
Might be accidentally encroaching on another landing pad that you don't have permission for. And loitering is a capital crime.

I like that I can murder someone in space, and I have to pay a small fine. But stand in the wrong place? That's vaporization buddy!

Might be accidentally encroaching on another landing pad that you don't have permission for. And loitering is a capital crime.

No I mean behind the slot, when I fly out not it. I'm out for like 3 seconds, start to get a little bit faster and get death threatenings for 5 seconds. Weird.

Volimar

Oh, question.

What do I do wrong?

Stations tend to be pretty aggressive about blocking the mail slot. I get the warning now and then as I'm leaving too. As long as you clear the slot in a couple seconds you'll be fine.

So decided to start upgrading with engineers today. Found out I had to farm barnacles to unlock the FSD engineer. Found a system and some coordinates on the forums to get there, and after actively fighting against the game to find out how to get to a specific point on a planet I finally got them.

My question is, how should you be able to do this if you don't use google? Like, even if you knew what planet to search, which I have no idea how you would know, how would you even begin to know where the barnacles are?

Mining can be viable. Will improve a bit in 2.4 as well since you'll be able to synthesis limpets.

Now if they would only let you specify what the limpets pick up instead of them picking up everything.

Prospecting limpets at least ensure you're not wasting your time on asteroids that have nothing of real value. Find too many miners overlook them.

No I mean behind the slot, when I fly out not it. I'm out for like 3 seconds, start to get a little bit faster and get death threatenings for 5 seconds. Weird.

Are you sure it's not just the proximity warning on your ship?

So decided to start upgrading with engineers today. Found out I had to farm barnacles to unlock the FSD engineer. Found a system and some coordinates on the forums to get there, and after actively fighting against the game to find out how to get to a specific point on a planet I finally got them.

My question is, how should you be able to do this if you don't use google? Like, even if you knew what planet to search, which I have no idea how you would know, how would you even begin to know where the barnacles are?

This is by far the biggest problem with the game. At this point there is arguably more game on the forums and reddit than there is in the game itself. There is a huge amount of content that was handcrafted that a regular player has basically no chance of seeing because it's all hidden behind esoteric ARG stuff. At the very least the developers could put in an in game chatroom/forum that you could access from the starports.

Volimar

This is by far the biggest problem with the game. At this point there is arguably more game on the forums and reddit than there is in the game itself. There is a huge amount of content that was handcrafted that a regular player has basically no chance of seeing because it's all hidden behind esoteric ARG stuff. At the very least the developers could put in an in game chatroom/forum that you could access from the starports.

Absolutely. If it wasn't for fanmade content most players would be completely screwed when it comes to the minutiae of the game.

Absolutely. If it wasn't for fanmade content most players would be completely screwed when it comes to the minutiae of the game.

My biggest thing is really who are they making this game for? Make the base game better and more accessible. Quit focusing on people who are going to take the time to do spectral analysis of sound files that come from a piece of cargo that destroys your ship slowly and can take hours to find via RNG.

Prospecting limpets at least ensure you're not wasting your time on asteroids that have nothing of real value. Find too many miners overlook them.

True.

They aren't perfect though because they take up cargo space. I've actually had issues where I've had to ditch limpets to make room for mined materials. That reduces the amount of prospecting you can do and cargo recovery.

With being able to synthesis them, now you don't need to waste a bunch of cargo space on limpets. Granted I think the synthesized ones still take up space but now you can make only what you need, not carry around 50 of them.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Oh God.

So I did a bunch of missions with an independent faction, since I want to do hauling stuff the idea of a getting chummy with a faction that are literally space truckers sounded a good one.

Now I'm Cordial with them, so I thought it might be worthwhile to visit their home base, maybe operate out of there for a while.

... I'm 0.19 light years out now. 1400 times the speed of light and the ETA is still over an hour.

I really hope these guys want some mineral extractors.

Yes. The cops were weak :(

Vulture.

If you gut stuck vs Anaconda or some one way to buy time use to try to sit in it's engine wake and keep either underneath or behind it.

Police response use has a couple Anacondas so you could've got unlucky they were fighting something else.

Tomeru

PSVR support wilk make me buy one.

Also, I don't know why, but not having to fiddle with controls made this game much more managable then on pc. With a controller.

Maybe placebo, but I actually conpleted a couple of missions.

Kyoufu

Just got royally fucked by a Federal Assault Ship. I thought okay, I'll tag it and then fly over to some cops so they can help me with it.

I flew past 8 ships and none of them gave a fuck. :(

edit: Asellus Primus CG is going to give a good boost in credits whenever it ends.

du4vuyc.jpg

Top Bottom