• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
What are the chances of this coming to PS4?

Very very very very very very very slim.

It will never happen.

Frontier chief David Braben indicated that Elite will one day come to console - specifically PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - at the Develop conference last week. In fact, he told Eurogamer in an interview "we would be stupid not to".

I'm filing that in the BS category. Super niche game, no HOTAS support on consoles...just not a good fit.

So, I have a mission to kill 3 traders. How do I know who is a Trader?

I tried this kind of mission and found them in an unidentified source (just jumped to a couple of such sources), had a group of 5-6 ships, haulers, type 9s, annihilated me in 30 seconds as soon as I started shooting.

I'm sure you can find such ships near stations etc. but I assume that's the worst idea ever. As far as I've figured out so far, most of these missions are done by discovering unidentified source signals, or am I wrong?

Krejlooc

Banned
Every time I read stuff about the Rift I want it more. Sounds awesome.

In the beta, they were keeping stats on how players with headsets performed against those without. The players with VR headsets absolutely dominated. I can't explain enough how much VR makes you better at this game. It's like using Keyboard and Mouse while everyone else is using gamepads.

The ability to look around the glass cockpit and orient yourself in space is game changing. When an enemy breaks and races back above and behind you on a conventional screen, you essentially lose him. You have to wait for your ship to bank to the position you think he is, and at best you have the radar to help you keep an idea of where he is. This means, for a long period of time, if they bank above or below you, they essentially become invisible until you see them again, which gives them a strategic advantage. That advantage vanishes in VR. If an enemy banks over and behind you, just turn around in your seat. Keep him in your gaze as you turn your ship - you never have to lose sight of the enemy as you maneuver, you look independently of the way your ship is facing.

Docking and flying through tight objects is also easier when you can gauge the space around you. You can see, at a glance, if the object you're flying into is physically in front of you or not.

Even the radar is better in VR - the radar is a 3D model, and on a conventional screen (and DK1) it's hard to see at a glance if an object on the radar is above or below another. But with DK2 and positional tracking, you can move your head around and gain parallax cues to let you know very quickly and easily if an object on the radar is above or below you.

VR honestly transforms all flight sims. I can barnstorm in War thunder in VR, were I could never pull that off on a conventional monitor.

Throw a proper HOTAS and rudder setup on top of VR, and you have an enormous advantage in the game.

Kinthalis

Banned

On the one hand, they have no plans for a console version any time soon, as there is a looong list of things they want to have up and running on the PC.

So if it does happen, it won't for a logn while. My guess is end of 2016 at the earliest possible.

Secondly, this is a sim. There are a LOT more controls than what a gamepad could handle. So they'd have to do some redesigning, probably dumbing down - which takes time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Secondly, this is a sim. There are a LOT more controls than what a gamepad could handle. So they'd have to do some redesigning, probably dumbing down - which takes time.

Case in point, Elite Dangerous takes advantage of every single input on my setup. I play with a rift and this:

pGKZMph.jpg

That's 6 axises tracked by my rift (pitch, yaw, rotation, plus X, Y, and Z for front 180 degrees) to control the camera, then 23 buttons, plus 10 axises, 3 8-way hats, 9 switches, 2 dials, 1 slider, an integrated mouse, plus 2 2-stage rudders.

Every single input is used. To play this with a gamepad, you basically need to have a keyboard ready.

How is it? I read the link you provided and am super interested!

Hopefully they ship to the US.

Oh, I haven't received it yet. I guess my previous comment was worded oddly. I meant that after playing with the Rift that 'not' having headtracking kind of sucks, so I ordered one that didn't require a camera.

I have read/seen nothing but great things about it. There are a ton of videos out there regarding construction but I ordered the fully constructed unit and about 10 minutes ago had an email exchange about shipping so I think shipping to US is no problem (I'm in the US).

Here's a video that shows it in more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqLwCtMCKc

Basically it acts as a joystick and you assign it to the headlook. TrackIR and such were just cost prohibitive, and getting a decent Webcam just seemed like something I didn't want to be limited by. I'd rather have the device not need an external source for tracking. I've seen a lot of people attach it to their headphones but since I use my stereo I'll probably attach it to something like those hair bands or a hat, like a pirate hat.

I posted this in the other thread but here's the setup I play on when not using the DK2, you can see there really isn't an option for a camera unless I put it on my center speaker which I didn't want to do .. hell, don't even have the PS4 camera setup because I have to take it along the floor, behind the wall and out through the back where I have the cables going. (That cable going up to the octopus is an HDTV antenna that I usually don't have there ... I feel so exposed!)

On top of the tactical advantages that Krej noted, its also just plain exhilirating. I can circle an enemy who is, in terms of orientation, directly above me, and keep my eyes on him the whole time, without having to worry about losing him at all.

Edit: And not be doing any weird head acrobatics where my head is tilted up and I'm looking downwards.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sent friends requests in-game to the people on the GAF list that have commanders in-game so far:

Aztechnology
Skyzard
trillbo
Keasar
JambiBum
thelatestmodel
flyinpiranha
la_briola
Moggio
GeoGonzo
EmergentFocus

I'm CMDR Tunesmith

Faith

I played it for around 30-40 hours with the DK2 and for around 30 minutes on my 29" monitor.

- Resolution is bad. Text is hard to read, ships that are 1-2km away are hard to hit (especially when you are facing the sun, you won't see anything!). Picture quality in general is just 50 times worse than on a monitor.
- Field of view is limited. It's like wearing ski goggles. But you can tell yourself that you're in a space suit, so it's kind of ok now.
- Galaxy map is a pain in the ass with the rift. I have to use my mouse and keyboard with my X52 Pro HOTAS together to navigate and get the infos I want.
- System view is also not optimized for the rift.

BUT: Even with all these negative points it's still so much better in the rift. You get real immersion, you get scale, you get huge advantages in dogfighting...it's just a totally different kind of gaming. And I can't wait to play this game on the final version of the Oculus Rift with (hopefully) a 4K display @90Hz and higher field of view.

Elite Dangerous is the best way to experience the Oculus Rift and Oculus Rift is the best way to experience Elite Dangerous.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Bounty hunting will be my career in the Elite universe. I don't want to trade, I don't want to mine.

I just want to hunt down space assholes and kill them.

Krejlooc

Banned
On top of the tactical advantages that Krej noted, its also just plain exhilirating. I can circle an enemy who is, in terms of orientation, directly above me, and keep my eyes on him the whole time, without having to worry about losing him at all.

Yes, circling enemies is really awesome. I got into a fight with someone who I'm pretty sure also had a rift, and the battle was absolutely epic. We circled each other for a good 5 minutes before actually engaging, kind of sizing each other up. This was during a trade mission. We dog fought for like 30 minutes, at which point both of our ships were pretty fucked up. We started circling each other again, then he hit hyper space going one way and I hopped into hyper space going the other way. In the end, we both survived.

It was crazy wild.

Starviper

Case in point, Elite Dangerous takes advantage of every single input on my setup. I play with a rift and this:

pGKZMph.jpg

That's 6 axises tracked by my rift (pitch, yaw, rotation, plus X, Y, and Z for front 180 degrees) to control the camera, then 23 buttons, plus 10 axises, 3 8-way hats, 9 switches, 2 dials, 1 slider, an integrated mouse, plus 2 2-stage rudders.

Every single input is used. To play this with a gamepad, you basically need to have a keyboard ready.

That is kickass.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

As I've posted before in the thread, I have been playing for weeks using the "Advanced Pad" preset on my 360 controller and I haven't touched the keyboard once.

You do lose one or two targeting commands like "target newest", but everything else is there and the game is completely playable sans keyboard.

Krejlooc

Banned
As I've posted before in the thread, I have been playing for weeks using the "Advanced Pad" preset on my 360 controller and I haven't touched the keyboard once.

You do lose one or two targeting commands like "target newest", but everything else is there and the game is completely playable sans keyboard.

I should say - every single command in the game is available to me instantly. I never need to dig through submenus for anything. I can do pretty much everything at once.

Which is a big reason why this setup gives such a huge advantage. Once you get used to toggling on and off newtonian physics, you can do crazy things. It's basically space drifting. I would feel like a gamepad would be so limiting in what I can do at once.

Wreav

Banned

Until you want to talk to another player sans voice comms, but yeah, it's very doable.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ok guys I have a problem, I haven't played in a week or so and started the game a while ago and everything works as it should.

But as soon as I enter the frameshift my throttle control doesn't work anymore. It works fine in "normal" space but after a framshift jump, nothing. It works on the keyboard but not on my controller.

Did I miss something that got changed? I looked at the key mapping menu and everything should work fine

Does anyone here use FreeTrack? TrackIR is too expensive for me atm.

I use freetrack with a PS3 Eye camera and a Delan Clip. works absolutely fine and is much, much cheaper than a Track IR

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd love something like that but cant afford it haha.

I actually built that, you can't fit normal Saitek controls onto a standard wheelstand pro. I built the whole thing in about 2 days for about $100. It's made of wood and metal and it's extremely heavy so it doesn't move.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I should say - every single command in the game is available to me instantly. I never need to dig through submenus for anything. I can do pretty much everything at once.

Which is a big reason why this setup gives such a huge advantage. Once you get used to toggling on and off newtonian physics, you can do crazy things. It's basically space drifting. I would feel like a gamepad would be so limiting in what I can do at once.

No submenus on the pad either. It basically works like this-

Facebutton + any other button for every command in the game. There is a learning curve with that many buttons to memorize, but they do a good job of making it work like X button is all targetting, A button is landing gear, cargo scoop, weapons arming, etc.

Also, I pretty much rip when I turn off physics correction. Unshifted shoulder buttons are throttle, left stick is pitch and roll, right stick is strafe.

The setup does lack forward and back strafe, but I found that to be redundant to throttle.

I have an X52 HOTAS as well. It definitely feels better overall.

But if you want to play on the couch without some crazy mechanism to stabalize your HOTAS, the controller works perfectly fine.

Haluko

I played it for around 30-40 hours with the DK2 and for around 30 minutes on my 29" monitor.

- Resolution is bad. Text is hard to read, ships that are 1-2km away are hard to hit (especially when you are facing the sun, you won't see anything!). Picture quality in general is just 50 times worse than on a monitor.
- Field of view is limited. It's like wearing ski goggles. But you can tell yourself that you're in a space suit, so it's kind of ok now.
- Galaxy map is a pain in the ass with the rift. I have to use my mouse and keyboard with my X52 Pro HOTAS together to navigate and get the infos I want.
- System view is also not optimized for the rift.

BUT: Even with all these negative points it's still so much better in the rift. You get real immersion, you get scale, you get huge advantages in dogfighting...it's just a totally different kind of gaming. And I can't wait to play this game on the final version of the Oculus Rift with (hopefully) a 4K display @90Hz and higher field of view.

Elite Dangerous is the best way to experience the Oculus Rift and Oculus Rift is the best way to experience Elite Dangerous.

Ive been playing Elite with the DK2 for awhile now. Last night it occurred to me I have never played on my monitor at all, only in the DK2. So, I turned the Oculus off and tried it... holy shit how do people play without the oculus!!! The game lost all immersion and scale. With the oculus keeping track of objects while flying around them is amazing. Its really something that can't be described without trying it.

I switched back to the oculus within a few minutes I couldn't take it. Reading text is terrible and the judder can be painful. The oculus is what makes the game amazing to me.

partyboy

There's an interview with Braben on youtube where he says he's spent most of his time (and still does) playing the game with an Xbox 360 controller. So, I don't think lack of a HOTAS would prevent a console port.

I actually built that, you can't fit normal Saitek controls onto a standard wheelstand pro. I built the whole thing in about 2 days for about $100. It's made of wood and metal and it's extremely heavy so it doesn't move.
Yeah but I don't have anything to cut/drill with. If I did I'd consider it.
I'm trying to see if there's a good way to just replace the armrests of my chair with mounts, since its a chair that I can pretty much only use with the Rift anyway (its too low for my desk)

Krejlooc

Banned
No submenus on the pad either. It basically works like this-

Facebutton + any other button for every command in the game.

That IS a submenu. You need to press one button to dictate the context of another button. Where on my setup, all these macros are individual buttons.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
In the beta, they were keeping stats on how players with headsets performed against those without. The players with VR headsets absolutely dominated. I can't explain enough how much VR makes you better at this game. It's like using Keyboard and Mouse while everyone else is using gamepads.

The ability to look around the glass cockpit and orient yourself in space is game changing. When an enemy breaks and races back above and behind you on a conventional screen, you essentially lose him. You have to wait for your ship to bank to the position you think he is, and at best you have the radar to help you keep an idea of where he is. This means, for a long period of time, if they bank above or below you, they essentially become invisible until you see them again, which gives them a strategic advantage. That advantage vanishes in VR. If an enemy banks over and behind you, just turn around in your seat. Keep him in your gaze as you turn your ship - you never have to lose sight of the enemy as you maneuver, you look independently of the way your ship is facing.

Docking and flying through tight objects is also easier when you can gauge the space around you. You can see, at a glance, if the object you're flying into is physically in front of you or not.

Even the radar is better in VR - the radar is a 3D model, and on a conventional screen (and DK1) it's hard to see at a glance if an object on the radar is above or below another. But with DK2 and positional tracking, you can move your head around and gain parallax cues to let you know very quickly and easily if an object on the radar is above or below you.

VR honestly transforms all flight sims. I can barnstorm in War thunder in VR, were I could never pull that off on a conventional monitor.

Throw a proper HOTAS and rudder setup on top of VR, and you have an enormous advantage in the game.

Really sounds amazing. Thank you for that detailed impression.
I think I'm going to have to get the consumer version of this device day one. I really hope it launches next year.

Higher chance than Star Citizen since Frontier seems to be a lot less mouthy / elitist when it comes to talking about platforms other than PC.

However, the probability is still way too low to actually consider it a plausible possibility.

Although, saying that, Frontier do have a fair bit of console experience. They made a lot of Xbox games, like Zoo Tycoon and Kinectimals and are the studio making Screamride for Xbox that comes out next year. So maybe the chance is higher than people think.

I guess it's impossible to tell.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There will certainly be a console release at some point, but nothing is announced so it'll be awhile.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That IS a submenu. You need to press one button to dictate the context of another button. Where on my setup, all these macros are individual buttons.

There's another big advantage to having a crazy HOTAS as well I just thought of... the fact that you can constantly control your viewpoint. This of course becomes a non-issue when playing on the DK2, but when couching it you need to put your strafe stick into lookaround mode which makes non-assisted dogfighting a lot harder.

Corgi

Banned
space games are space games, but i'm still amazed a game this beautiful is half the size of the assassin creed unity patch that came out today to make the game less broken.

With no story mode, I guess there isn't that much VA.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Higher chance than Star Citizen since Frontier seems to be a lot less mouthy / elitist when it comes to talking about platforms other than PC.

However, the probability is still way too low to actually consider it a plausible possibility.

Although, saying that, Frontier do have a fair bit of console experience. They made a lot of Xbox games, like Zoo Tycoon and Kinectimals and are the studio making Screamride for Xbox that comes out next year. So maybe the chance is higher than people think.

I guess it's impossible to tell.

Don't forget Dog's Life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0WsnngckdU

Loved that game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
space games are space games, but i'm still amazed a game this beautiful is half the size of the assassin creed unity patch that came out today to make the game less broken.

With no story mode, I guess there isn't that much VA.

It has more to do with the fact that there are very few art assets in a space game. It's just a few models floating in blackness with 80% of those models being spheres.

And the majority of the textures are all procedural which means that their data footprint is usually less than 1 kilobyte.

slider

Wow. The nostalgia is off the scale. And I'm not the nostalgic type.

I think I'm going to get a PC for this. I expect it won't come to consoles for a while (if at all).

Corgi

Banned
It has more to do with the fact that there are very few art assets in a space game. It's just a few models floating in blackness.

And the majority of the textures are all procedural.

yeah space games. pretty skyboxes don't hit the pipelines hard, so space games usually look leaps beyond other stuff like with rogue squadron 2.

So many space games, I'm getting them all confused, was it this one that you can fly around the rings of saturn?

Physically move closer to the screen. ED does positional tracking, if the text is hard to read you can just lean in closer.

I've read that but i don't know when i lean closer this is not what happening for me, i can turn my head and that's ok but i cannot position myself out of the body position if that make sense.

In Asseto corsa it works but here no. Wonder what is going on.

DrBo42

Do we have any idea what the benefits are for moving up the ranks of the governments/factions? Hit midshipman in the Federation and nothing has really changed in terms of mission availability or payout.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
yeah space games. pretty skyboxes don't hit the pipelines hard, so space games usually look leaps beyond other stuff like with rogue squadron 2.

So many space games, I'm getting them all confused, was it this one that you can fly around the rings of saturn?

You sure can

Not Saturn in this image, but same principle.

20Jol9I.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do we have any idea what the benefits are for moving up the ranks of the governments/factions? Hit midshipman in the Federation and nothing has really changed in terms of mission availability or payout.

You need specific ranks to get access to the faction specific ships (Federal Dropship and Imperial Clipper, not sure if alliance has something, maybe the Orca?). I think certain high security government systems have rank requirements as well.

Wreav

Banned

Missions with better payouts, basically. Someone posted a screen of a mission with a 150k cr payout yesterday.

pottuvoi

Banned
Missions with better payouts, basically. Someone posted a screen of a mission with a 150k cr payout yesterday.
Saw couple of those today as a completely harmless, pretty sure I do not want to try with my slightly modified sidewinder.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
About Elite Dangerous on Xbox One and PS4.

Frontier chief David Braben indicated that Elite will one day come to console - specifically PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - at the Develop conference last week. In fact, he told Eurogamer in an interview "we would be stupid not to".

"I've just got to watch out," he smiled. "I don't want to do something that constitutes an announcement, but we would be stupid not to support other platforms, including console."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-14-how-about-elite-dangerous-on-ps4-and-xbox-one

bj00rn_

Banned
I've read that but i don't know when i lean closer this is not what happening for me, i can turn my head and that's ok but i cannot position myself out of the body position if that make sense.

In Asseto corsa it works but here no. Wonder what is going on.

If you have the DK2 you should be able to make use of the pos tracking. That is weird.

1. Do the color mod i showed you earlier. With green or light blue text instead of the orange you should be able to read everything in the DK2.

2. If everything is plugged in like it should be, adapter power, all cables securely in position, you might want to try to change USB port for your DK2 tracking camera. I experienced a lot of problems with my pos track (only in Elite Dangerous for some odd reason..), and literally went through all my USB ports, and luckily the last one I hadn't tried solved my positional tracking problem (in E:D) (and yes: it's a bizarre way to solve such a problem, but it worked..). For some people turning of hyperthreading in the BIOS also helps. I don't know if this is your problem, but there you have a couple of tips anyway if you need them.

Edit: Wait, is it a DK2, or a DK1..?

Skyzard

Banned
Will add everyone that's sent me a request soon.

Just got done setting it all up nice although the default controls are pretty decent.

Started going through the training missions again to learn the game as I'd completely forgotten most of it.
The first few runs with sidewinder were really frustrating. Went into the controls and into the first mission just to get accustomed to movement and everything. Then came back to it and had a really, really fun fight. Feels kinda more spacey than Star Citizen in the fighting. That might be because of the energy diverting. Not sure if that's in SC yet.

I'll look into voice attack, maybe for lights, shields and hyperdrive, the rest I've got setup really comfortably. But I bet it's just awesome to use.

TrackIR helps so much too. Haven't set up the rift yet, but as Krejlooc was saying, actually being able to follow the enemy off your screen makes a huge difference...it's a pretty big handicap without but you can always use freelook (or headlook or something).

Going to make sure I watch the videos now and do the launch and docking training missions so I don't have to shell out for loans by crashing at the docks :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom