• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've read that but i don't know when i lean closer this is not what happening for me, i can turn my head and that's ok but i cannot position myself out of the body position if that make sense.

In Asseto corsa it works but here no. Wonder what is going on.

Try disabling OVRServices when you launch the game.

wsippel

Banned

leadbelly

Banned
If you were drawn to it after seeing No Man's Sky's awesome planet exploration, then no.

Something to do with landing and I think exploring is apparently supposed to be coming in expansion packs.

Which is why I'm not keen on the thread title, but thanks for the great thread, OP, subscribed.

I picked this up along with Star Citizen a while back. I enjoyed the combat in both tbh, but I only really did the training missions. I heard this was mostly about mining/exploring space. Maybe seeing someone every now and then, but unless you are playing as a pirate...don't expect so much action.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Going to be redoing the tutorials today and getting back into it.

From what I gather, it will have procedurally generated planets just like No Man's Sky.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do commander names have to be unique? Probably not, given that I managed to get "Ira".

Searching for names in for friends requests seem to only bring up 1 entry per name. Would be cool if there was some confirmation on uniqueness.

On another note, playing with a gamepad using the advanced setup. I miss not being able to have lateral thrust and yaw at the same time. Have to use keyboard for one or the other. (pitch/roll on L-stick, yaw/vertical thrust on r-stick)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think CMDR names are unique, one of the benefits of kickstarting it was being able to reserve your name.

wsippel

Banned
Searching for names in for friends requests seem to only bring up 1 entry per name. Would be cool if there was some confirmation on uniqueness.

On another note, playing with a gamepad using the advanced setup. I miss not being able to have lateral thrust and yaw at the same time. Have to use keyboard for one or the other. (pitch/roll on L-stick, yaw/vertical thrust on r-stick)
Then I'm really amazed I got that name. Only three letters, and it's an actual word (in Latin) as well as a real name...

Either way, I use a gamepad with "yaw on roll". Actually works pretty well. Though I have to say, the gimped yaw and focus on roll feels really bad and doesn't seem to serve any purpose to begin with, but if that's what Frontier wants, "yaw on roll" is probably the best option for people using gamepads.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Then I'm really amazed I got that name. Only three letters, and it's an actual word (in Latin) as well as a real name...

Either way, I use a gamepad with "yaw on roll". Actually works pretty well. Though I have to say, the gimped yaw and focus on roll feels really bad and doesn't seem to serve any purpose to begin with, but if that's what Frontier wants, "yaw on roll" is probably the best option for people using gamepads.

I would definitely recommend getting used to keeping at default. Yawing is incredibly slow in this game. If you want to turn with any sort of speed, you'll want to roll 90 degrees and pull into it.

Gaz_RB

Spent like an hour looking for this guy.

I finally find him and he absolutely murders me. Escaped with like 2% left.

Ronnie

Banned
Anyone having trouble downloading the game? My speed fluctuates like crazy between 0.1MB/s and 0.7, but the progress bar is moving painfully slow, at this rate it'll take a few hours to download.

Try disabling OVRServices when you launch the game.

If you have the DK2 you should be able to make use of the pos tracking. That is weird.

1. Do the color mod i showed you earlier. With green or light blue text instead of the orange you should be able to read everything in the DK2.

2. If everything is plugged in like it should be, adapter power, all cables securely in position, you might want to try to change USB port for your DK2 tracking camera. I experienced a lot of problems with my pos track (only in Elite Dangerous for some odd reason..), and literally went through all my USB ports, and luckily the last one I hadn't tried solved my positional tracking problem (in E:D) (and yes: it's a bizarre way to solve such a problem, but it worked..). For some people turning of hyperthreading in the BIOS also helps. I don't know if this is your problem, but there you have a couple of tips anyway if you need them.

Edit: Wait, is it a DK2, or a DK1..?

DK2 thx guys i will try

Klyka

Banned
Hello fellow Commanders!

I write to you on behalf of the Jet Comms Limited Corporation based in the wonderful Ho Hsi System. Yes that's right, THE Jet Comms Limited, your favorite corporation of 3300 as voted in the Federation's top Corporate Magazine "Commu & Nist"!

If I could take a minute out of your busy time? Yes? Why thank you! You see I have a wonderful opportunity for ALL of you! Yes, even you! And you over there little one, don't worry!

Jet Comms Limited is currently engaged in fierce competition for mining rights and the high tech sector in the bountiful system of Ho Hsi against the old and stale Ho Hsi Corp. What a boring name, right?

Anyway, this is where YOU come in Commanders! You see, we have managed to procure 47% of Influence in the system compared to the 47.9% of Ho Hsi Corp.! Our PR people have been busy busy busy!
Now we need YOU to push us over the magical 50% hurdle and allow us to...shall we say....engage into a (not so friendly) takeover of the system! All in the name of the Federation (and your friends at Jet Comms Limited) of course!

So fly on other to the Ho Hsi system and help Jet Comms limited any way you can! Missions, trading (fighting? sure!) will help us bring this system where it should be: The hands of the Federation and the embrace of Jet Comms Limited!

Safe Flight, Commanders!

Help us guys me get this system guys :D
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...omms_limited_invites_you_to_claim_ho_hsi_for/

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh, I haven't received it yet. I guess my previous comment was worded oddly. I meant that after playing with the Rift that 'not' having headtracking kind of sucks, so I ordered one that didn't require a camera.

I have read/seen nothing but great things about it. There are a ton of videos out there regarding construction but I ordered the fully constructed unit and about 10 minutes ago had an email exchange about shipping so I think shipping to US is no problem (I'm in the US).

Here's a video that shows it in more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqLwCtMCKc

Basically it acts as a joystick and you assign it to the headlook. TrackIR and such were just cost prohibitive, and getting a decent Webcam just seemed like something I didn't want to be limited by. I'd rather have the device not need an external source for tracking. I've seen a lot of people attach it to their headphones but since I use my stereo I'll probably attach it to something like those hair bands or a hat, like a pirate hat.

I posted this in the other thread but here's the setup I play on when not using the DK2, you can see there really isn't an option for a camera unless I put it on my center speaker which I didn't want to do .. hell, don't even have the PS4 camera setup because I have to take it along the floor, behind the wall and out through the back where I have the cables going. (That cable going up to the octopus is an HDTV antenna that I usually don't have there ... I feel so exposed!)

Oooh, nic esetup. I ended up ordering one of units too ;) Thanks for the heads up!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Going to experiment with yaw on roll + adv. controls for the gamepad scheme.
My X52 should arrive by next week.....(!)

Edit: There's no easy way to see on the map where friends are is there?

Sinatar

How do you smuggle slaves?! I need to find two and smuggle them to a station but no idea how lol

Well you can either try to blast into the docking bay too fast for the system authority vessels to scan you, or go to advanced flight mode from way out, aim at the dock, punch your boosters then kill power to all your systems and drift through the docking port cold. Either way, make sure you remember to request docking permission.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Well I've successfully Docked and Launched via training and started a game and now I can't even find what to do, lol. I fly to another system and lock on to a city or station in orbit but when I fly past it just looks like a spec, my ship won't come to a complete standstill despite setting throttle to 0%

This is going to take a lot of patience. :)

Well you can either try to blast into the docking bay too fast for the system authority vessels to scan you, or go to advanced flight mode from way out, aim at the dock, punch your boosters then kill power to all your systems and drift through the docking port cold. Either way, make sure you remember to request docking permission.

Sorry I mean how do you get them in the first place?! I'm lost aha. I've got to bring two back to the dock I'm I'm but have no idea where to find them from here.

Sinatar

Well I've successfully Docked and Launched via training and started a game and now I can't even find what to do, lol. I fly to another system and lock on to a city or station in orbit but when I fly past it just looks like a spec, my ship won't come to a complete standstill despite setting throttle to 0%

This is going to take a lot of patience. :)

When flying to a destination in supercruise, keep your throttle in the blue zone on the throttle bar, your computer will automatically calculate and adjust your speed to get your there. When you get to 1 Mm distance a 'Safe Disengage' prompt will appear, hit your FSD button and you'll jump out of supercruise and be about 10 KM from your target.

Sorry I mean how do you get them in the first place?! I'm lost aha. I've got to bring two back to the dock I'm I'm but have no idea where to find them from here.

Use the galaxy map to find Anarchy systems, that's your're best bet. You can also filter down to what trade goods they have .

wsippel

Banned
I would definitely recommend getting used to keeping at default. Yawing is incredibly slow in this game. If you want to turn with any sort of speed, you'll want to roll 90 degrees and pull into it.
Yaw on roll doesn't substitute one for the other. Move the stick a tiny bit and it's yaw, move it a little more and it's roll - you essentially get both functions on a single stick. I'm well aware that yaw alone won't cut it in dogfights, it's too slow to evade anything or track fast moving enemies, but rolls are shit for precision aiming, so you pretty much need both - a design decision I don't necessarily agree with because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it is what it is.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anyone had any luck logging into the mobile iOS app? I get the email verification code but it fails to accept it and subsequent tries just claims incorrect login details. :/

Gen X

When flying to a destination in supercruise, keep your throttle in the blue zone on the throttle bar, your computer will automatically calculate and adjust your speed to get your there. When you get to 1 Mm distance a 'Safe Disengage' prompt will appear, hit your FSD button and you'll jump out of supercruise and be about 10 KM from your target.

Damn, that easy huh? It didn't feel like I was even going that fast, all makes sense now. Thanks Sinatar. _b

So I loaded it up, took off, and decided I should figure out how to dock. Alright, found the dock request, okay, there's the landing pad... Whoop, gotta turn on my landing gear!
Why can I not land...
Guess Ill do the tutorial.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone had any luck logging into the mobile iOS app? I get the email verification code but it fails to accept it and subsequent tries just claims incorrect login details. :/

Their servers are getting slammed. Don't fret, the app is completely pointless at the moment anyways.

So I loaded it up, took off, and decided I should figure out how to dock. Alright, found the dock request, okay, there's the landing pad... Whoop, gotta turn on my landing gear!
Why can I not land...
Guess Ill do the tutorial.

You might be turned in the opposite direction. When the landing sensor shows up, you should always be facing forward (as in you're looking at the rear of your ship), otherwise it won't accept. Took me a while to figure out this was actually the issue.

Wreav

Banned
You might be turned in the opposite direction. When the landing sensor shows up, you should always be facing forward (as in you're looking at the rear of your ship), otherwise it won't accept. Took me a while to figure out this was actually the issue.

What's worse too is sometimes the pads will glitch and think you need to be flipped 180 degrees, so once you've gotten the hang of it, you're sitting there without thinking to look down at the radar.

So Triangles on your scanner are players?

No. Rectangles that are solid are NPC, hollow are players. Triangles represent that they have their hardpoints deployed.

epmode

Microstutter still present for me in v1.0. It's going on six months now. And it looks like the thread discussing the issue was closed, along with all other tech threads from the beta/gamma.

This is really disappointing. I put a significant amount of money into this game and I still can't play it without getting distracted. And that's on a monitor. VR's worse.

(I'm not sure if the stutter affects everyone. I doubt it does. But it's definitely there for me. A stutter every few seconds no matter what I'm doing or where I am in the game, at all graphics settings and screen resolutions)

Gen X

Looks like I will be doing some proper research into running some trades tonite after work. Kinda jumped in the deep end here, but at least I have my HOTAS X-55, that eases the pain.

So, theoretically, could a bunch of gaffers get together and play the Private Groups mode together?

I know it removes the cool multiplayer aspects of it and is NPC-only, but considering a lot of us are nubs, it might be a fun way to learn the game.

Or is it still very unlikely that we'd be able to meet up in-game at this point?

Gaz_RB

What are reasons a docking request would be denied?

What's worse too is sometimes the pads will glitch and think you need to be flipped 180 degrees, so once you've gotten the hang of it, you're sitting there without thinking to look down at the radar.

No. Rectangles that are solid are NPC, hollow are players. Triangles represent that they have their hardpoints deployed.
Wow, way more players than I thought.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Got home, logged my name as Commander Mengy, did a few training modules, got into the game proper and found myself in system LHS-3447. Browsed the station menus a bit, was preparing to take off for the first time .....

when my girlfriend came home. Bummer, LOL.

Space will have to wait an hour or so.....

Well looks like that's me done for tonight. Getting frustrated trying to find slaves. I think I bit more than I can chew on that mission lol.

I was aware of the little landing guide thing, but it never showed up. Tried three times, the radar never changed. Even made sure it was the right one. Decided itd be better to just cancel the request and start the tuts.

Marc

Commander Laran up and running

Got the oculus rift issue I had earlier sorted, turned out rebooting the PC was the fix... it annoys me when that is so often a fix. Playing solo mode and not seeing my free Eagle on the galaxy map, that map runs like shit in the rift for some reason. Might have to go online to collect it perhaps?

I have been to several systems now and done a few missions, got a whole 10K credits after having to do repairs and buying fuel... gonna take a while to get anything useful. I have yet to come across a proper station, just outposts with landing on top. So not offering ships for sale, just basic stuff.

Taking a break after a killing a bounty, lots of spinning. *yacks* Traded some crap but not made much money out of it. The better paying mission had me go after 'traders' causing trouble, 5 of them. After finally finding them because why have a mission with any actual structure, I start shooting and get fined for being a douche basically. Eh? The mission even updated to say I had the right target before shooting. Get one done to 7% hull then the others suddenly join in and shoot me to shit, just about got away. Be good if the missions had a difficulty rating.

What are reasons a docking request would be denied?

Had same issue, usually because all the docks are in use. Just have to wait a little.

Commander Laran up and running

Got the oculus rift issue I had earlier sorted, turned out rebooting the PC was the fix... it annoys me when that is so often a fix. Playing solo mode and not seeing my free Eagle on the galaxy map, that map runs like shit in the rift for some reason. Might have to go online to collect it perhaps?

I have been to several systems now and done a few missions, got a whole 10K credits after having to do repairs and buying fuel... gonna take a while to get anything useful. I have yet to come across a proper station, just outposts with landing on top. So not offering ships for sale, just basic stuff.

Taking a break after a killing a bounty, lots of spinning. *yacks* Traded some crap but not made much money out of it. The better paying mission had me go after 'traders' causing trouble, 5 of them. After finally finding them because why have a mission with any actual structure, I start shooting and get fined for being a douche basically. Eh? The mission even updated to say I had the right target before shooting. Get one done to 7% hull then the others suddenly join in and shoot me to shit, just about got away. Be good if the missions had a difficulty rating.

Had same issue, usually because all the docks are in use. Just have to wait a little.

Pay is typically what denotes the difficulty. Also when you lock an npc or player it's usually smart to wait until your basic scan is done. OT will usually tell you the combat effectiveness of your target with a rating. Obviously you have to take into account the type of ship as well, but for instance of you target a viper and it reports the pilot is one of the higher rankings then you may want to hold off on that if you're just starting off.

479px-Ranks_online.jpg

I ran out of fuel can someone give me a ride

Im 99% sure it's not currently in game, but I think they're going to implement either a way to eject fuel or dispense fuel to other players at some point. It would be cool of it were only certain types of ships that could do so though as a job/service.

RK9039

How does headlock work? I had it assigned on middle mouse button but it didn't work, so I changed it to another key and it still doesn't work.

Gaz_RB

Im 99% sure it's not currently in game, but I think they're going to implement either a way to eject fuel or dispense fuel to other players at some point. It would be cool of it were only certain types of ships that could do so though as a job/service.
Yeah, that would be really awesome. There are so many cool ways this game could expand, I hope they follow through now that they have a great foundation.

Anyway, I just self destructed :(

SparkTR

Have they mentioned anything about if people buy this now and they release it on Steam alter, we'll get Steam keys?

Klyka

Banned
Got my Viper now and have gotten to "Friendly" with Jet Comms Limited in "Ho Hsi".
If anyone is around there, feel free to do missions for them and increase their influence, we are almost at 50% and will soon instigate a civil war to take over the system for the Federation :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom