• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Have they mentioned anything about if people buy this now and they release it on Steam alter, we'll get Steam keys?

There are zero plans to release on Steam. People waiting or expecting that are setting themselves up for disappointment.

How have I not heard of this until now?

It's a great feeling hearing about a cool game only to discover it's just been released.

Just bought it. Can't wait to get home tonight!

Klyka

Banned
I remember when Steam was DRM and everyone hated it. It's funny how things have changed, even though it's still DRM.

It's because no one actually buys on Steam, we all just buy keys/gifts for Steam on other sites at way cheaper prices. No one gives a shit about the actual program.

Smash88

Banned
Shame cause that cuts the chances of me and many others buying it. Avoiding steam is bad for them.

Count me in as well. It looks neat, but with no Steam release I'm either waiting for one or outright avoiding it. Maybe one day, after they get their initial profit in? I mean they won't be able to survive with their current business model IMO.

Wreav

Banned
Count me in as well. It looks neat, but with no Steam release I'm either waiting for one or outright avoiding it. Maybe one day, after they get their initial profit in? I mean they won't be able to survive with their current business model IMO.

What's your reasoning?

If you guys are interested, I wouldn't let the lack of Steam get in the way. It's a really fun game and you can just create a shortcut.

Paying the developer directly is best in this situation because all the proceeds are cycled back into the game. The only downside from not being on Steam is advertising.

Smash88

Banned
What's your reasoning?

My main game library is in Steam, I would like to keep all games I own in one easy to access place where I don't have to worry about launchers, usernames, passwords, etc.

I have pre-existing credit on Steam I would like to use. I also find $70 way to much for the game that is released currently - a sale would be nice. It was released to appease investors (as a result of losing money: http://www.iii.co.uk/stockmarketwire/190309/frontier-developments-red-revenues-fall?context=LSE:FDEV ), it's unfinished, and only the core mechanics are set in place.

Furthermore if a steam release comes along at a later point, it would be further patched, and more gameplay elements could be implemented. They also, I think, have ambitions to sell future updates as DLC, such as planetary landing, which kind of irks me, but if the game is built on solid foundations I can overlook that especially if that DLC will be on a steam sale at a later point.

I don't mind waiting honestly, if it's a more finished and polished game and I can have the game in one place I will get it. That's why I'm not too sad it's not on Steam at the moment, but would've also liked to get it and see what it's all about as it looks like a cool concept, at the right price of course.

Klyka

Banned
My main game library is in Steam, I would like to keep all games I own in one easy to access place where I don't have to worry about launchers, usernames, passwords, etc.

I have pre-existing credit on Steam I would like to use. I also find $70 way to much for the game that is released currently - a sale would be nice. It was released to appease investors (and as a result was losing money: http://www.iii.co.uk/stockmarketwire/190309/frontier-developments-red-revenues-fall?context=LSE:FDEV ), it's unfinished, and only the core mechanics are set in place.

Furthermore if a steam release comes along at a later point, it would be further patched, and more gameplay elements could be implemented. They also, I think, have ambitions to sell future updates as DLC, such as planetary landing, which kind of irks me, but if the game is built on solid foundations I can overlook that especially if that DLC will be on a steam sale at a later point.

I don't mind waiting honestly, if it's a more finished and polished game and I can have the game in one place I will get it. That's why I'm not too sad it's not on Steam at the moment, but would've also liked to get it, at the right price of course.

It's not "DLC" it's actual expansions and has been said from the very very very very start.

Also even if it comes to Steam, it will still use their launcher for everything.

But whatever, hail Steam I guess.

Smash88

Banned
It's not "DLC" it's actual expansions and has been said from the very very very very start.

Also even if it comes to Steam, it will still use their launcher for everything.

I don't think landing on a planet should be called an "expansion", hell Star Citizen will have planetary landing from the get go.

The game seems extremely basic in its release, there are a few things to do currently from the hours I've watched gameplay on twitch.

Are there plans for a storyline of some sort, with quests/missions? Because if there are plans that would hype me up for the game, and in the future (a year or two) if its truly confirmed never to come to Steam I could pick it up on a heavily discounted sale.

Klyka

Banned
I don't think landing on a planet should be called an "expansion", hell Star Citizen will have planetary landing from the get go.

The game seems extremely basic in its release, there are a few things to do currently from the hours I've watched gameplay on twitch.

Are there plans for a storyline of some sort, with quests/missions? Because if there are plans that would hype me up for the game.

Star Citizen is also years away and has unlimited funding.
It also doesn't have seamless 1:1 planetary atmospheric landing and flight. It has "fly close to a planet, press docking, watch cutscene of landing and enter planet instance".
It also doesn't need to do procedural planet surfaces for like 100 billion planets.

There is already a story line in motion, the Emperor of the Empire is dying and there will be a civil war. Right now slaves are revolting in a System and there is a conflict going on there.

Are there plans for a storyline of some sort, with quests/missions? Because if there are plans that would hype me up for the game, and in the future (a year or two) if its truly confirmed never to come to Steam I could pick it up on a heavily discounted sale.

Yeah, not for you, dude. If you're bringing up stock prices and links regarding a game you'll play for fun means you are talking yourself out if it. Just wait for SC since it's more of what you want.

Smash88

Banned
Star Citizen is also years away and has unlimited funding.
It also doesn't have seamless 1:1 planetary atmospheric landing and flight. It has "fly close to a planet, press docking, watch cutscene of landing and enter planet instance".
It also doesn't need to do procedural planet surfaces for like 100 billion planets.

There is already a story line in motion, the Emperor of the Empire is dying and there will be a civil war. Right now slaves are revolting in a System and there is a conflict going on there.

That sounds like a cool story line. Is there interaction with NPC characters? Like can I go talk to the Emperor where I get a quest, and then meet up with others to assault some sort of large slave hauler? Then meet up with random other quest givers where they give me different quests? If there are quest givers is the story rich in nature, like is there VA? I'm looking for a story in space somewhere in the area of GTA, Dragon Age, etc.

Yeah, not for you dude. If you're bringing up stock prices and links regarding a game you'll play for fun means you are talking yourself out if it. Just wait for SC since its more if what you want.

Well I just read a forum post on Elite Dangerous that was stating the reason for the release in its current state (and from what I've seen is true), it really made me sad they released the game apparently with very little implemented. But it sounds like they have a very grand vision which excites me. I've been looking for a really cool space themed game, and Star Citizen is way far off. I just wish they would bring it to Steam, I wouldn't mind using my CSGO money to give it a shot. :/

Fuck it, is amazon the cheapest place to get a thrustmaster warthog? This, Star Citizen, and il-2 are too much.

I'm not sure I just have the two most common buying places on there. 416 is the cheapest I've ever seen it though. I probably would of bought that instead of the X55 but it was 600 when I bought the X55.

Ronnie

Banned
Can anyone help explain how to use UI menus both in space and in stations with the X52 Pro set-up? I can't for the life of me see how to move up and down in stations!

Klyka

Banned
That sounds like a cool story line. Is there interaction with NPC characters? Like can I go talk to the Emperor where I get a quest, and then meet up with others to assault some sort of large slave hauler? Then meet up with random other quest givers where they give me different quests? If there are quest givers is the story rich in nature, like is there VA? I'm looking for a story in space somewhere in the area of GTA, Dragon Age, etc.

No nothing like that. You are not a hero, you are not a big shot, no Emperor will ever take his time to talk to you. You're just one of many in a ship trying to make money.

The game is not about premade story, cutscenes, characters or anything like that.

The game is about you.

Smash88

Banned
No nothing like that. You are not a hero, you are not a big shot, no Emperor will ever take his time to talk to you. You're just one of many in a ship trying to make money.

The game is not about premade story, cutscenes, characters or anything like that.

The game is about you.

Oh.

Could I build up to become some sort of self-made hero or villain? You know what I'm trying to get at?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I'm trying to get a feel for the game through you guys. I trust your opinions over that of twitch streamers or what have you - so I can make a conscious decision maybe I can pick it up in the near future if Steam really isn't an option. I can make an exception if there is enough to warrant it.

Klyka

Banned
Oh.

Could I build up to become some sort of self-made hero or villain? You know what I'm trying to get at?

Well let me give you as an example what I have been doing today over the course of a few hours:

I went to a system called "Ho Hsi". In this system,like in every system, there are 4 internal system factions sharing influence/control over it. The faction currently in control with 47% influence is the "Ho Hsi Corp" an independant faction. Directly after that with 46% is "Jet Comms Limited" a faction allied with the Federation.

Because Ho Hsi Corp is independant and controls the system, the system itself is independant too.

I decided that I would make Ho Hsi my current "home" and I want to give Jet Comms Limited the edge in influence to eventually start a civil war and take over the system for the Federation.
To do this, I would only accept missions issued by Jet Comms, do these missions, thereby raising my reputation with both them and the Federation and also slowly increasing their influence. Every other commander, whether in solo mode, private group or open play who does the same thing will also add to their influence. Of course other commanders might do the opposite and reduce Jet Comms influence or increase Ho Hsi Corps, but that's life!
i'm currently trying to rally people on the Internet to help me make Jet Comms the main faction in Ho Hsi.

So far their influence has risen by 0.1% and I am now "friendly" with them, meaning all their ships and stations are green and allied with me, helping me out in a fight if they see me in one.

So I, for myself, am trying to be the "hero" of Jet Comms Limited.

Will I succeed? Who knows! Will the game acknowledge me? Preeeeeeeetty sure not one bit. But hey, it's a living!

edit: To show that what I am trying to do,especially the rallying of people is possible, check out this link: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2p2nbm/player_event_the_crimson_revolution_in_lugh/

Klyka

Banned
Except, guess what, RSI is self publishing too.

I don't even want to know how much higher the budget for Star Citizen is compared to Elite.
They got like, how many groups/people working on it?
Elite had like, 1 team with 30 people or so?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is the plan for planetary landings for this to have them be procedural? Cause if so that actually excites me. Really thats the thing im most excited about in No Mans Sky, the infinite universe with infinite planets.

This game has a lot in the way of the universe but i feel its probably really lacking on the exploratory side of things.

moggio

Banned

I don't think you understand what Elite is.

This game isn't for you I feel.

What scares me is people care more about saving 5 bucks than supporting an independent publisher trying to make a successful game that is pretty niche. If you like these types of games you should buy from the developers directly when able. It's extremely simple to link your games to steam, you can even use the Steam overlay.

Mik2121

I don't think you understand what Elite is.

This game isn't for you I feel.

That's not fair. Sure, he still doesn't understand what Elite is, but maybe once he knows he also likes this kind of stuff. Saying it's not for him is not very nice.

Fuck it, is amazon the cheapest place to get a thrustmaster warthog? This, Star Citizen, and il-2 are too much.

2-3 weeks ago Newegg had some bundles with Warthog + Saitek Pedals for $483.

That's one very important thing to note if you don't already know... The warthog does not have twist on the stick. You NEED pedals in addition to the Warthog.

If you're looking for something like Dragon Age in space, this is not it. There's a story, but it's more of an ambient story, and not something with a beginning and an end. In Elite you are playing the role of an average joe pilot in space, trying to survive and make a name for himself. It's totally freeform and without any specific direction, so in that sense it's very much a sandbox style game.

Honestly, based on your comments, it just doesn't sound like you are interested in Elite. If you compare Elite today to what Star Citizen wants to do, yes, it looks lacking. The key difference of course is that Elite today is vastly ahead of where Star Citizen is at today. My personal opinion is that I will be enjoying Elite for another one or two years, as it's really a well made space sim, but I won't lie, I do think Star Citizen will surpass it and that's where I see myself gravitating. The problem is, the persistent universe of Star Citizen won't be out until 2016, so you have another two years to wait or so (granted, the first release of the campaign and alpha of the PU should be out next year, but by then Elite will hopefully have released its first major expansion as well). Just realize that Elite is a great space sim today, but Star Citizen will be a great space sim tomorrow. That's why as a space sim fan I'm a proud backer of both. :)

Gaz_RB

That's not fair. Sure, he still doesn't understand what Elite is, but maybe once he knows he also likes this kind of stuff. Saying it's not for him is not very nice.
I mean if we're going by what he's described, the game isn't for him...

Smash88

Banned
Well let me give you as an example what I have been doing today over the course of a few hours:

I went to a system called "Ho Hsi". In this system,like in every system, there are 4 internal system factions sharing influence/control over it. The faction currently in control with 47% influence is the "Ho Hsi Corp" an independant faction. Directly after that with 46% is "Jet Comms Limited" a faction allied with the Federation.

Because Ho Hsi Corp is independant and controls the system, the system itself is independant too.

I decided that I would make Ho Hsi my current "home" and I want to give Jet Comms Limited the edge in influence to eventually start a civil war and take over the system for the Federation.
To do this, I would only accept missions issued by Jet Comms, do these missions, thereby raising my reputation with both them and the Federation and also slowly increasing their influence. Every other commander, whether in solo mode, private group or open play who does the same thing will also add to their influence. Of course other commanders might do the opposite and reduce Jet Comms influence or increase Ho Hsi Corps, but that's life!
i'm currently trying to rally people on the Internet to help me make Jet Comms the main faction in Ho Hsi.

So far their influence has risen by 0.1% and I am now "friendly" with them, meaning all their ships and stations are green and allied with me, helping me out in a fight if they see me in one.

So I, for myself, am trying to be the "hero" of Jet Comms Limited.

Will I succeed? Who knows! Will the game acknowledge me? Preeeeeeeetty sure not one bit. But hey, it's a living!

edit: To show that what I am trying to do,especially the rallying of people is possible, check out this link: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2p2nbm/player_event_the_crimson_revolution_in_lugh/

That actually sounds neat. I'll see if I can get it during some sort of discount, $70 is a bit out of my price range at the moment. Thanks for explaining things appreciate it. I just hope there will be enough to keep me continually interested in the game.

Kind of sucks everyone is saying it's not for me, it makes me reconsider getting into this or not... again. :/

JambiBum

Oh this is awesome.

Mind you this is updated by players as they discover things. So sometimes the data is a few days old so prices will be a little different than what is listed at times. Also some of the systems that haven't been visited a lot don't have a lot of information listed for them yet. Still it is by far the best trading tool currently available.

Gaz_RB

Mind you this is updated by players as they discover things. So sometimes the data is a few days old so prices will be a little different than what is listed at times. Also some of the systems that haven't been visited a lot don't have a lot of information listed for them yet. Still it is by far the best trading tool currently available.

Considering I've been playing all day and I'm 18000 credits in debt, I'll take what I can get!

Oh.

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I'm trying to get a feel for the game through you guys. I trust your opinions over that of twitch streamers or what have you - so I can make a conscious decision maybe I can pick it up in the near future if Steam really isn't an option. I can make an exception if there is enough to warrant it.

Not a game for you.

Boogdud

So I'm wondering, do people playing in solo mode affect the economy and system status? I know it does vice versa, I've even run into some cmdrs in solo mode which I thought was awesome. I killed leto atreides the other night...

Cmdr Steve Brule here BTW...

JambiBum

Considering I've been playing all day and I'm 18000 credits in debt, I'll take what I can get!

If you are in a sidewinder still, the fastest way to make money (to me anyway) is by buying slaves for the missions you can find. Most missions ask for two slaves and will pay out around 40-60k. Two slaves will cost you around 20k. The only issue with slave trade (what are morales) is that the distance you have to travel to buy them can be pretty long sometimes. Once I find somewhere that will sell slaves I usually buy around 4 just to have extras in case I run across a mission.

That actually sounds neat. I'll see if I can get it during some sort of discount, $70 is a bit out of my price range at the moment. Thanks for explaining things appreciate it. I just hope there will be enough to keep me continually interested in the game.

Kind of sucks everyone is saying it's not for me, it makes me reconsider getting into this or not... again. :/

Where are you located? you're saying $70 so I assume you're in the US. But it's just slightly more than $60 with the exchange rate. Im really kicking myself for not getting started on the OT sooner and getting it out earlier, but I couldn't find the rules on when we were allowed to post. I feel like quite a few Gaffers missed out on the mercenary edition pre-order because they didn't hear about it in time.

Klyka

Banned
So I'm wondering, do people playing in solo mode affect the economy and system status? I know it does vice versa, I've even run into some cmdrs in solo mode which I thought was awesome. I killed leto atreides the other night...

Cmdr Steve Brule here BTW...

Every player affects the universe, no matter what mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom