• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Well for docking you have 10 minutes to dock. If you fail to do so in that timeframe AND you're *inside* the station, you will get that same trespassing warning and be destroyed in 30 seconds.

Pro Tip: Don't ever ever ever forget to request docking permission.

Also, don't think you are all badass when the entrance is all clear and fly out at like 200 kps, only to smash into some ship you couldn't see just on the other side of the entrance...yep...

Well for docking you have 10 minutes to dock. If you fail to do so in that timeframe AND you're *inside* the station, you will get that same trespassing warning and be destroyed in 30 seconds.

Will they ever not give permission?

Oh hell yeah, if you try and block the station exit they're like "You could cause an accident. Time to die"
Yeah, I let my friend try it in the Rift and he asked what's up with the timer, said "don't worry, it just fines me but you can still look around" ... hilarious when they started shooting it scared him.

They must both have EDTracker or something, seems to react pretty well.

JambiBum

I did this once immediately after I bought a cobra early on in beta. I didn't have the money for insurance so I couldn't rebuy. I stopped playing for a while after that. Never making that mistake again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Will they ever not give permission?

If all the docking bays are occupied or if you're ship is too big (there are 3 sizes of landing pad, not all stations have all 3) you'll be denied.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you to sod off if your reputation with that stations factions is too low, but I'm not sure on that.

EDIT: oh and there is a minimum distance to request permission, 10 KM for the big stations, 7.5 for outposts, if you're farther then that they won't give docking permission.

Guys having a bit of trouble with bindings. Trying to avoid keyboard when flying up I can't seem to map everything to the pad for movement. I have all pitch, roll and yaw sorted to the two sticks but I can't find space anywhere for thrusting left right up or down! Anyone got an ideal set up for 360 controller? Btw I'm weird and use the right stick for roll and pitch, left for yaw.

If all the docking bays are occupied or if you're ship is too big (there are 3 sizes of landing pad, not all stations have all 3) you'll be denied.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you to sod off if your reputation with that stations factions is too low, but I'm not sure on that.

EDIT: oh and there is a minimum distance to request permission, 10 KM for the big stations, 7.5 for outposts, if you're farther then that they won't give docking permission.
Wait, so I have to be way out there to request docking? Weird. Is all this explained in the tutorials?

Wait, so I have to be way out there to request docking? Weird. Is all this explained in the tutorials?

A lot of it is, yeah. There's a docking tutorial, combat, etc ...

Docking isn't too bad, there's a big visual countdown regarding time and such.

I plan to get VoiceAttack up for all that though. Just like in that stream that's linked he came in 'hot' with stolen goods so the key is to run silent and quickly request and get in before they can scan your ship. Having it on VA will be a huge time saver.

No you have to be within that range, not outside of it.

Docking Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAoY7kw2NM
So then maximum distance.
A lot of it is, yeah. There's a docking tutorial, combat, etc ...

Docking isn't too bad, there's a big visual countdown regarding time and such.
I think I've got a fairly good idea on most of the ship control related functions, from just fuckin around in the combat tutorials, its all the non-control related stuff. I suppose I'll just go through the tutorials.

EDIT: I've got an X52, and am planning on using the little toggle switches to control all the stealthy shit. Landing gear can stay in a menu lol.

Orgun

So then maximum distance.

I think I've got a fairly good idea on most of the ship control related functions, from just fuckin around in the combat tutorials, its all the non-control related stuff. I suppose I'll just go through the tutorials.

EDIT: I've got an X52, and am planning on using the little toggle switches to control all the stealthy shit. Landing gear can stay in a menu lol.

I use an X52 as well. I just have landing gear bound to G on the keyboard.

Sinatar

I got landing gear on a toggle switch on the base of my x52 stick, but I use voice attack for it primarily.

LiveWire

Wow, that's amazing, thank you! I guess I know what my Christmas present to myself will be this year :) Finally will start getting some use out of my Rift...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wait, this game supports Oculus Rift? Just the version 2 device? Or also the original? And what is HOTAS?

Hands On Throttle And Stick. In theory it means you don't have to take your hands off the controls, ever, because all functions are accessible via the throttle and stick.

In common parlance, however, it basically just means "throttle / stick combo with lots of buttons". I still find myself reaching for the keyboard or mouse every so often.

Krejlooc

Banned
Jesus that's crazy. Does... Does that happen often?

Edit: Oh so its just right there then. I thought they were like "you have one minute to park. Or die. Your choice."

You get used to docking, so it's not that common. Docking is really fun imo in the same way parallel parking is irl.

Gaz_RB

God damn this is amazing.
Started off with my Sidewinder and 1000 credits and left my first star port looking for something to explore. I ended up going to the first place that sounded awesome (Yachaguchi) but found out it was all explored.

Found this station and decided I needed some money and so I took to highest credit paying mission, and took off. Little did I know it was an illegal mission...

So I did it and warped back in, but I wasn't paying attention and started heading directly for the system's Sun. My heat was at like 250% and I was just fucking baking with my cockpit steaming and crackling. I desperately tried to get away from the sun but my hull percentage was plummeting. Finally I managed to get into super cruise with a mere 6% hull left. Knowing I'd lose the cargo if I died made it especially harrowing.

So I headed back to the station to finish my mission, hobbling and sparking with a huge crack in my canopy. I almost made it, then suddenly this son of a bitch comes out of nowhere and interdicts me. I get snapped out of super cruise and this dude is like some badass pirate. He starts lighting me up as I switch power to engines and try to dodge while I wait for FSD to recharge so I can GTFO. He knocks my shields out just as I get away, but I finally do and am able to escape and make my 15,000 credits. Which I now realize was not that much...
I really like this game, even if only having played it a few hours. It's just really immersive and makes you care because there are consequences for whatever you do.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Started off with my Sidewinder and 1000 credits and left my first star port looking for something to explore. I ended up going to the first place that sounded awesome (Yachaguchi) but found out it was all explored.

Found this station and decided I needed some money and so I took to highest credit paying mission, and took off. Little did I know it was an illegal mission...

So I did it and warped back in, but I wasn't paying attention and started heading directly for the system's Sun. My heat was at like 250% and I was just fucking baking with my cockpit steaming and crackling. I desperately tried to get away from the sun but my hull percentage was plummeting. Finally I managed to get into super cruise with a mere 6% hull left. Knowing I'd lose the cargo if I died made it especially harrowing.

So I headed back to the station to finish my mission, hobbling and sparking with a huge crack in my canopy. I almost made it, then suddenly this son of a bitch comes out of nowhere and interdicts me. I get snapped out of super cruise and this dude is like some badass pirate. He starts lighting me up as I switch power to engines and try to dodge while I wait for FSD to recharge so I can GTFO. He knocks my shields out just as I get away, but I finally do and am able to escape and make my 15,000 credits. Which I now realize was not that much...
I really like this game, even if only having played it a few hours. It's just really immersive and makes you care because there are consequences for whatever you do.

Welcome to Elite, Commander!

Work is going tooooo sslllooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww...................................

Wait... so someone else released a space sim today, on Steam, called Dangerous.

This can't be a coincidence?

Seems legit.

ss_9a9af7d5ad2b21ce091c355c0279a9c1244aa180.600x338.jpg

“Dangerous is well worth the money...”
5/5 – http://spacesimcentral.com

“Dangerous is a space simulation that has incredible depth”
A- – http://iReviewT.com

“An astounding level of depth takes Dangerous where few space sims have gone before ... offering factional allegiance and NPC partner systems that are sure to whet the genre fan’s appetite.”
http://iFanzine.com

Wowzers, 5/5's? Sign me up!

Is the text supposed to be quite blurry. I find it a bit jarring. Looking at the text on star port services especially. I've used the UI mod so it's a pink and blue colour but didn't think that would make the text blurry?!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Now that was a good read. Thanks for posting.

THOT bro, "that hoTAS over there"

Perfect.

ibn5SXEhzfYBy6.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If you want to use a 360 pad, use the "advanced pad" setting in controls.

I've been using that unmodified for comfy couch for weeks. I have a slightly modified one I use when running in the DK2.

Played for a few hours, ran into quite a few players, and no problems with servers which is great. The first mission I took was to kill 3 traders, didn't even think I'd get a wanted status which I did, on my way back got interdicted and killed by a player. I guess I had it coming.

Tried again, did some small missions, managed to pull of a black box mission just fine but they fined me 5k creds for the cargo, damn it! I was mucking about a lot so I earned some cash and lost most of my earnings (with 10k left), the road is tough I tell you.

I ran into a really interesting unidentified signal source, jumped in and I see an Eagle by an NPC called Kilrathi, chasing a sidewinder flown by an NPC called Ellen something I think? (might've been Ellen Beeman) He killed her and the destroyed ship left 4 canisters of "Rare Artwork".

Man, feels good to play Elite again.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, while I'm not having a problem with docking etc, I forgot to request docking clearance once, flew in full speed inside, halfway in I realize I didn't do the request, the timer is ticking and I managed to get out at exactly 0:00, a real MacGuyver moment.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Btw, for future bounty hunters or pirates, dont forget to turn off the report crimes observed and on you in the ship options so that you dont get the police interfering every time.

Wreav

Banned
Btw, for futur bounty hunters or pirates, dont forget to turn off the report crimes observed and on you in the ship options so that you dont get the police interfering every time.
What exactly are the mechanics on this? Haven't played with it yet.

I've never played a space sim before and I'm not sure if I I'd even like the genre, but impressions and streams have me seriously curious to try it out.

Bought and downloading as I type.

Sinatar

What exactly are the mechanics on this? Haven't played with it yet.

If you have report crimes turned on, when someone shoots you your ship will automatically call the local authorities for help. So you'll have system security vessels showing up eventually and they might steal your kill. If you don't get the last hit on someone you won't get the bounty.

While talking about bounty hunting some clarification on the Kill Warrant Scanner is probably a good idea. So normally when you target a ship, you'll scan it and it'll tell you whether they are clean or wanted *in that system only*. If you equip a KWS on your ship you can do a deep scan and it'll tell you what the total bounties on that ship are across all systems. You have to be very careful though, if you scan someone with a KWS, find a bounty, and attack them when they are 'clean' in the current system you're in you will be committing a crime and putting a bounty on yourself. If you want to collect KWS bounties on 'clean' targets you need to do so in Anarchy systems.

If you have report crimes turned on, when someone shoots you your ship will automatically call the local authorities for help. So you'll have system security vessels showing up eventually and they might steal your kill. If you don't get the last hit on someone you won't get the bounty.

While talking about bounty hunting some clarification on the Kill Warrant Scanner is probably a good idea. So normally when you target a ship, you'll scan it and it'll tell you whether they are clean or wanted *in that system only*. If you equip a KWS on your ship you can do a deep scan and it'll tell you what the total bounties on that ship are across all systems. You have to be very careful though, if you scan someone with a KWS, find a bounty, and attack them when they are 'clean' in the current system you're in you will be committing a crime and putting a bounty on yourself. If you want to collect KWS bounties on 'clean' targets you need to do so in Anarchy systems.
So are you able to like follow them? Or is it basically just only start scanning people in anarchy systems to begin with?

Sinatar

So are you able to like follow them? Or is it basically just only start scanning people in anarchy systems to begin with?

You would need a FSD wake scanner to follow them between systems. Your best bet is to go to an anarchy system and park at the nav beacon and scan ships as they pass through, you'll find plenty of targets. Extraction sites are another good hunting ground as pirates love to go after miners.

Sinatar

What's the general consensus on the free Eagle ship? Any good?

It's a solid combat ship for the early game. What it lacks in durability it makes up for in maneuverability. You can take down bigger tougher ships by using your thrusters and staying out of their firing arcs. If you're looking to get into bounty hunting or piracy early, it's the way to go until you can afford a Viper.

No, it can't. I've reported it, it looks suspicious as fuck.

Apparently it's a port of a 2 year old iOS game, it actually predates Elite Dangerous's Kickstarter.

Gaz_RB

Wait the only way to get new paint jobs is to buy them with real money? That's kinda dumb.

What's the general consensus on the free Eagle ship? Any good?
I've been using it and doing pretty well. My goal is to upgrade to an ASP though. It's super maneuverable, which is nice in a fire fight.

Wreav

Banned

Very helpful, good to know. It is SUPER annoying how only the last shot seems to count for bounty collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom