• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

You would need a FSD wake scanner to follow them between systems. Your best bet is to go to an anarchy system and park at the nav beacon and scan ships as they pass through, you'll find plenty of targets. Extraction sites are another good hunting ground as pirates love to go after miners.

I've had poor luck with the wake scanner. I thought it would give you a good trail on them and basically send you 'close' enough to them to see them so you could interdict all over again. No such luck, the thing just warps you to the system, good luck finding a single ship in a system when they have a lead on you. Though most of the time since I'm in a small fighter (eagle atm) I can't even get to the system that they jump to. I guess later on when I can afford a ship that can actually carry a wake scanner and a kill warrant scanner and a good jump distance it might come in more handy than it does in the early game.

I wish there was a more reliable way of knocking a ship's engines out. I've tried concentrating fire on them but most of the time it's quicker just to wax the whole craft.

Bounty hunting is a tough life.

Also, if you're careful (and brave or stupid) you can get away with killing folks in 'clean' systems with a warrant in another system. If you just get the hell out of dodge quickly. Also, if the popo show up just press that middle finger up against the glass and fire up the friendship drive. POOF

I love this game so much.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You would need a FSD wake scanner to follow them between systems. Your best bet is to go to an anarchy system and park at the nav beacon and scan ships as they pass through, you'll find plenty of targets. Extraction sites are another good hunting ground as pirates love to go after miners.

What is the purpose of a nav beacon? Does it just mark where every ship jumps into the system near the sun?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What is the purpose of a nav beacon? Does it just mark where every ship jumps into the system near the sun?

Pretty much. If you leave supercruise and just hang out there, there is a constant flow of ships. Great hunting ground.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pretty much. If you leave supercruise and just hang out there, there is a constant flow of ships. Great hunting ground.

How does that work? Every time I warp into a system I'm already in super cruise... why are all these ships not in super cruise as well?

I can only hope that my first experience is as nice.

Oh don't get me wrong, I've spent the whole day with nothing to show for it, earned some cash and lost it all. It's pretty frustrating, even if I know some stuff from the earlier Elite titles and things work similarly here. But it's also pretty amazing at the end of the day, it feels a bit like the first time playing Dark Souls, you know.

Boogdud

How does that work? Every time I warp into a system I'm already in super cruise... why are all these ships not in super cruise as well?

Just slow down and stay in cruise. If you just throttle down you'll still be in supercruise but going very "slowly". Just hang in the relative area as the nav. When you see a ship warp in, line it up and scan it. If it's wanted get on the gas and knock that bitch out of supercruise so he can pay for his insolence.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just slow down and stay in cruise. If you just throttle down you'll still be in supercruise but going very "slowly". Just hang in the relative area as the nav. When you see a ship warp in, line it up and scan it. If it's wanted get on the gas and knock that bitch out of supercruise so he can pay for his insolence.

Wait, so I should stay in supercruise, but very slow? Sinitar said I should leave supercruise...

Sinatar

Nah it's better to actually target the nav beacon and leave supercruise into normal space. Nav Beacons are like Unidentified Signal Sources, except with unlimited constant traffic. There are tons of ships going in and out of that spot.

It doesn't really make sense within the context of the game, since yes as players you leave hyperspace in supercruise, but they gave us Nav Beacons just as a place to get some action going.

Corgi

Banned
idk, dangerous lets you fly to planets at the very least :3

What happens when you approach planets in this before the expansion? Blow up in the atmosphere?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
...their game launched 2 years ago.

XbrhqZh.png

Bored of this now, let's talk about something else.

Boogdud

Nah it's better to actually target the nav beacon and leave supercruise into normal space. Nav Beacons are like Unidentified Signal Sources, except with unlimited constant traffic. There are tons of ships going in and out of that spot.

It doesn't really make sense within the context of the game, since yes as players you leave hyperspace in supercruise, but they gave us Nav Beacons just as a place to get some action going.

So why is it better to out of SC? I just slow down to 30k while in SC and hang at the beacon. That way I don't have to charge up the drive to chase them down. Unless npcs drop out of SC when they get to their destination? Otherwise I don't know what the benefit of regular space is?

Sinatar

So why is it better to out of SC? I just slow down to 30k while in SC and hang at the beacon. That way I don't have to charge up the drive to chase them down. Unless npcs drop out of SC when they get to their destination? Otherwise I don't know what the benefit of regular space is?

They aren't in supercruise if you go to the beacon, so you don't have to interdict them.

Wait the only way to get new paint jobs is to buy them with real money? That's kinda dumb.

I've been using it and doing pretty well. My goal is to upgrade to an ASP though. It's super maneuverable, which is nice in a fire fight.

Ah ok. I'm thinking of exploration rather than combat however I will dabble in combat once I get my flight stick in a few weeks. It seems to have a higher fuel capacity than the sidewinder so I guess exploration would be better using the Eagle? I have no idea, total noob here lol.

Danj

It really bums me out that joysticks are basically required for this game. Yes I know, flight sim purists, bla bla bla, but good mouse controls are absolutely possible for a space flight game - Freelancer showed this back in the day. But Frontier doesn't even want to consider that - something about emulating joysticks and zero-order controls or whatever.

I have a joystick on my Christmas list, so I gotta wait until then before I can play it, because I tried it with keyboard and mouse and it was utter shite.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ah ok. I'm thinking of exploration rather than combat however I will dabble in combat once I get my flight stick in a few weeks. It seems to have a higher fuel capacity than the sidewinder so I guess exploration would be better using the Eagle? I have no idea, total noob here lol.

IIRC, the Eagle has the shortest jump capability in the game as it has a much smaller jump drive.

So it's actually the worst ship to use for exploration :).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It really bums me out that joysticks are basically required for this game. Yes I know, flight sim purists, bla bla bla, but good mouse controls are absolutely possible for a space flight game - Freelancer showed this back in the day. But Frontier doesn't even want to consider that - something about emulating joysticks and zero-order controls or whatever.

I have a joystick on my Christmas list, so I gotta wait until then before I can play it, because I tried it with keyboard and mouse and it was utter shite.

Yeah, it's mainly an "experience" issue. These games are just plain more fun with a joystick/gamepad. And if they put mouse control in, it would most likely be superior control-wise to joysticks. And that would really mess up the multiplayer balance.

Corgi

Banned
Wait.... how is controller support for this? Does it play fine?

Can you play with just a controller, or do you still need a keyboard for menu stuff?

Sinatar

Wait.... how is controller support for this? Does it play fine?

Can you play with just a controller, or do you still need a keyboard for menu stuff?

If you're using a gamepad you'll definitely need a keyboard as well. If you want keyboardless play, you need a HOTAS. Though I guess if you use a gamepad, you could cover most extra commands with Voice Attack if you wanted to go that route.

Yeah, it's mainly an "experience" issue. These games are just plain more fun with a joystick/gamepad. And if they put mouse control in, it would most likely be superior control-wise to joysticks. And that would really mess up the multiplayer balance.

Yeah, this is my first HOTAS/HOTAS game and even the tutorial missions were something else.

Wreav

Banned
If you're using a gamepad you'll definitely need a keyboard as well. If you want keyboardless play, you need a HOTAS. Though I guess if you use a gamepad, you could cover most extra commands with Voice Attack if you wanted to go that route.

You can bind a modifier button to a gamepad for a total of like ~22 unique commands.

IIRC, the Eagle has the shortest jump capability in the game as it has a much smaller jump drive.

So it's actually the worst ship to use for exploration :).

OK cool sidewinder it is for now then. Absolutely loving the game. It's what I wanted from eve but without the spreadsheets and with the direct ship control. Can't wait to see what they do with this expansion wise.

Forgot to preorder, now I don't want to buy it anymore :/

Don't have time anyway, will watch other people hunting bounties for now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I've been playing for weeks using the default "advanced gamepad" setting with a 360 controller. I haven't had to touch the keyboard at all.

It basically maps every face button to a "shift" for the D-pad. For instance, holding "X" will give you all your targetting commands on the D-pad, holding "A" will give you all weapons commands, etc.

Works great for comfy couch, and even better than HOTAS for me using the DK2. It allows me to sit really far back from the camera so my head doesn't lose tracking.

For those that are curious, headtracking is awesome in this game. Because when you look left/right and such the menus pop up contextually. There are a few options out there for various price ranges but after using the Rift, it's hard to play on a screen without headtracking. Sucks that I just now ordered it a bit ago though, so now I'm on a waiting list.

I've been playing the combat demo for a couple of weeks and the full game today on a keyboard and mouse, haven't had any problems so far. It's got some getting used to but I changed the bindings quite a bit from the original, now it's much more like playing Descent.

For those that are curious, headtracking is awesome in this game. Because when you look left/right and such the menus pop up contextually. There are a few options out there for various price ranges but after using the Rift, it's hard to play on a screen without headtracking. Sucks that I just now ordered it a bit ago though, so now I'm on a waiting list.

Does anyone here use FreeTrack? TrackIR is too expensive for me atm.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

KB+Mouse works alright as soon as you swap rolling from mouse X-axis for yawing or similar. Found rolling on the mouse to be almost uncontrollable. A controller is vastly superior though, and a hotas is the preferred option of course.

Kinthalis

Banned
Does anyone here use FreeTrack? TrackIR is too expensive for me atm.

I tried using it with a run fo the mill HD webcam and it wasn't the best experience. I hear that it takes a lot of tweaking to get right, something I didn't do, and a really good webcam, like the playstation eye, helps things a lot.

Basically the only thing it did for me was convince me to pick up trackIR. I definitely wish there was more competition in this space. :(

Ordered mine along with a new HOTAS today. Very pricey :( Don't tell my wife!!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Physically move closer to the screen. ED does positional tracking, if the text is hard to read you can just lean in closer.

Every time I read stuff about the Rift I want it more. Sounds awesome.

KDR_11k

Elite Dangerous comes out, Steam adds Frontiers and Dangerous...

I kept saying that Dangerous is a shitty name for a game but the devs just had to keep it...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Finally got home, had to stay the night at the missus place (game launched about 3hrs after work finished) so installing now. Finished the training the other day, now I am keen to get back into a career as an intergalactic smuggler with my trusty sidekick.

Hard to believe it's been about 28yrs since I played the original back in '86 on the C64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom