• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can find Seeking Luxuries in an Anarchy system you don't even need to buy the Performance Enhancers. Last night I was just shooting the cargo hatches of the Type 9s and scooping them up. You can then sell the Performance Enhancers to one of the others Type 9s in the instance or if you have shot them all down go into supercruise and then go back into the Seeking Luxuries nav point.

100% profit (minus ammo).

So is the general "multi-purpose" ship progression Sidewinder - Adder - Cobra Mk3? I've got enough credits for the Adder (still in my loaner Sidewinder); I do lots of cargo hauling but like bounty hunting now and then as well. No real mining or exploring so far.

bj00rn_

Banned
Peanuts in comparison to trading, but I bet you had infinitely more fun blasting ships.

Indeed. Took out about 25+ wanted ships and had the best pure fun I've had in a game in a long time. Dogfighting inside ring systems in VR is pretty special.

Shifty76

So is the general "multi-purpose" ship progression Sidewinder - Adder - Cobra Mk3? I've got enough credits for the Adder (still in my loaner Sidewinder); I do lots of cargo hauling but like bounty hunting now and then as well. No real mining or exploring so far.

Sidey->Adder->cobra->asp, yeah.

Effect

So decided to try some wanted hunting and been slowly upgrading my Adder. Better experience then before but not by much. Made it all way to Bernard's Star. It and Alpha Centauri are the closest systems I can get to Sol as I don't have a permit to enter the system. That sucks. Didn't even realize I was that close to it. I decided to search for Sol just to see how far I had to go and it was nearby. I think I've done more staring at the different space stations then any star, planet, etc. The design of the stations are just more interesting. Both inside and out.

I like to think I have a good hand on how to play the game now. Docking is a breeze now if a bit tedious due to dropping into the system on the opposite of the entrance at times. Pretty good now at flying with the joystick and keyboard. To the point I'd like to try it out with other games in the future. I'm pretty comfortable with it now. Have kills ranging from sidewinders to an an Anaconda. Took advantage of the game with that last one. Had three other NPCs attacking it and managed to get the final shots in. Done various upgrading on ships, trading missions, or trading by myself. The only core thing I haven't done is mining and I'm not willing to put myself through that.

Kinda stuck at the moment. I want to enjoy it more. I've been playing off and on all weekend trying different things just to try and change things up. Combat is only mildly more enjoyable then trading missions. Maybe because I was going after wanted npcs and not just attacking everything in sight. I think my problem is that when I get to do something I'm at least enjoying myself. However those moments don't justify the time that is required to get to those points I feel. I could stick with one thing but that's a grind and I don't think I'm willing to do that either.

If there was at least some communication in the game that would be something. I'd like to talk with others. It being just me and the game doesn't make for a good time. Coming across another player by chance isn't enough. I honestly thought this feelings wouldn't set in until a full month or more passed. This is insanely fast for me to feel this way. That itself bothers me as well. So I figure taking a set back and checking out the game at a later time would be good.

Wreav

Banned
This is insanely fast for me to feel this way. That itself bothers me as well. So I figure taking a set back and checking out the game at a later time would be good.

Yeah, sounds like you need to set it down until the March update comes out at the very least.

bigninja

OK, so this may have been posted before (I did try to search it), but I just did a Hauler run that I found on reddit and damn did it pay off. Big time. 400k+ in an hour.

I started with only 32k. At the end of the loop, I had 444k.

First step, is you need to get your Hauler in shape.

1. Sell all your hardpoints. You're not gonna need 'em.
2. Buy all "D" class equipment (except frame shift drive, more on that later)
3. Sell your shield generator. Yeah. Do it. Replace with 4x cargo hold.
4. Get a fuel scoop.
5. Save up and buy the best Frame shift drive you can buy (about 160k)
6. Have at least 30k left over and head to Eleu system, Finney Station.

Now, you're ready to start.

Here is the route:
CBYqJ1r.jpg

This is NOT my run. All credit goes to OSUaeronerd (GO BUCKS!). Amazing discovery for making money. It works.

Original thread:
Reddit thread here

notes:

You're looking for the rares, marked in the commodities market as bright yellow. See the image. You don't want tea at Heike, you want the special Heike Ceremonial Tea.

If you get to a station and the rares (marked in yellow text) are sold out. Take a break. 30-60 minutes and they will be replenished. You don't need a lot of each to make money. At most I got 3 to 8 of the rare goods on my run. Don't need to get greedy. Move on, sell, make money.

Sometimes finding a route to the next system 100 light years away is a pain. Use the galaxy map and try to find midpoints between you and your destination that allow you to plot a route. Use "fastest route". When you get close enough, it might let you plot to your destination. It may take some planning. Stick with it. It will work.

I had one interdiction the entire route and I jumped out of it. Stay alert though, and dock with extreme caution. You have no shields.

FYI: I was playing on Solo to minimize interdictions.

Good luck!

Just upgraded from the Sidewinder to the Adder. Love the extra cargo space, love the medium hardpoint... but GODDAMN will that window design start to drive me insane as I save up for the Cobra.

OK, so this may have been posted before (I did try to search it), but I just did a Hauler run that I found on reddit and damn did it pay off. Big time. 400k+ in an hour.

Original thread:
Reddit thread here
!

I have a similar run that I do every now and again in a Cobra. It has more stops with less distance between them. It goes in this loop;

1P94fnU.png

There are no trips more than 100LY so there's no worrying about midpoint stopping.

If you are after a longer trade route this is what was recommended to me by someone on another forum :-

"ead to the system LP 751-1, station Lamarr Ring. It's around 20 light years from Eravate. When you're there, have a look at the commodities market. You'll notice that tea is in medium supply, so load up with anything up to 7 tonnes of the stuff. This should keep your ship under the weight needed to make the 4 hops to the system you're going to sell at.

Now head to the Chapman Terminal in system LP 694-16. You should be able to sell the tea for a profit of 541CR per tonne, which is 3787 if you've managed to take all 7 tonnes of it. You'll also notice that Crop Harvesters are in high supply, and the beauty here is that they're in demand at the station you've just come from. So load up with 7 of them and then head back to LP 751-1. You'll be able to sell these for a total profit of 4536.

So the round trip is going to net you 8323 CR. We're talking modest amounts here, but you are only in a sidewinder. It shouldn't take you long to work your way up to a hauler which has a maximum cargo hold of 22. The same round trip in that would net you a total of 26158 CR. "

Taking out wanted ships in Resource Extraction Sites is also a relatively lucrative business.

Thanks for the tips! Grinded all the way to a cobra by running Palladium into Eravate. Getting a bit bored of trading right now. I might try that rare item loop people have been on about, but I've decided to play around with bounty hunting by camping nav beacons in my Sidewinder. Can't remember any systems with resource extraction sites, but if I stumble on one I'm definitely going to be hunting for pirate scum :p

Eventually, I want to get an Asp and outfit it with a maxed FSD and go hunting for black holes c:

Burny

Got my Saitek X52 Pro over the weekend. I won't have time to properly get into Elite before February, but I tested it a bit. While it's a pity that much of the Device feels like relatively cheap plastic despite some metal parts, it just feels so much better than using mouse+keyboard. :) I didn't consider the additional 100+€ (more, if I'd have to get pedals on top) for a Thrustmaster Warthog worth it, although that thing looks ace.

Didn't manage to get a complete hang of the controls (default layout), yet. One thing I noticed in the training missions was the "flight assist off" assignment. It displays a kind of scroll wheel, but I didn't find out which one that is or how to use it.

Could anybody help me out here?

asker

Didn't manage to get a complete hang of the controls (default layout), yet. One thing I noticed in the training missions was the "flight assist off" assignment. It displays a kind of scroll wheel, but I didn't find out which one that is or how to use it.

Could anybody help me out here?
The scroll wheel is the little wheel on the back of the throttle. It's clickable. I had an issue though with the click of the wheel registering as mouse 2. I had to rebind the Flight Assist bind to get it to work properly.

So I camped a nav beacon for about 30m...

Combat is so addicting! And 140k is nothing to scoff at for me at this stage in the game 0_0 Took the money I got and traded in my eagle for a viper. Damn the viper is fast. I think I like it more than my cobra lol. Does upgrading thrusters increase manouverability and speed, or just the amount of weight your ship can carry?

Burny

The scroll wheel is the little wheel on the back of the throttle. It's clickable. I had an issue though with the click of the wheel registering as mouse 2. I had to rebind the Flight Assist bind to get it to work properly.

Thanks a lot! I will try that out and hope that it's not a general issue with this HOTAS setup. Wouldn't buttons presses not registering be a reason for sending the hardware in?

Finally upgraded to an Imperial Clipper. My favourite ship in the game so far. Absolutely destroys Anaconda Missions. It has the ability to switch between being a really good cargo ship or a really good combat ship.

GeoGonzo

Finally upgraded to an Imperial Clipper. My favourite ship in the game so far. Absolutely destroys Anaconda Missions. It has the ability to switch between being a really good cargo ship or a really good combat ship.

My net worth is 25M, my Type 7 is fairly upgraded and I'm a Baron of the Empire. Soon...

What weapons are you using against the anacondas?

sfried

I did two of the liberate slaves mission at the same base (Holden Station). I encountered on Unidentified Suignal Source that gave me an alternative to completing one of them. Upon claiming 2 slaves and getting back to my station, I can only seem to complete one of the two Liberate Slaves mission. I've been trying to get my rep up with the local Monarchy and another faction, but I feel this mission is borked.

GeoGonzo

I did two of the liberate slaves mission at the same base (Holden Station). I encountered on Unidentified Suignal Source that gave me an alternative to completing one of them. Upon claiming 2 slaves and getting back to my station, I can only seem to complete one of the two Liberate Slaves mission. I've been trying to get my rep up with the local Monarchy and another faction, but I feel this mission is borked.
Yup, happened to me too, and also read other mentions of it online. Bugged.

sfried

Yup, happened to me too, and also read other mentions of it online. Bugged.

Ah, jeez, I hope they get it fixed (still have 100h left to complete the mission, so hopefully by a few days they have it ironed out). In the mean time, I might have to sit this one out.

Is it better than the Viper? I like the speed a Viper gives plus okay manuverability that can be fixed with thruster upgrades, but I miss the manuverability of the Sidewinder. It just lacks the punch to take down Anacondas. Also theres that issue with taking down Lakon Heavy Type-9s too...

What's your loadout btw?

GeoGonzo

Ah, jeez, I hope they get it fixed (still have 100h left to complete the mission, so hopefully by a few days they have it ironed out). In the mean time, I might have to sit this one out.
Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath, it seems like a bug that has plagued that mission for quite a while, and they're planning to completely revamp the mission system anyway.
Also, in case you didn't know, mission timers count down in real time, even if you aren't currently playing.

sfried

Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath, it seems like a bug that has plagued that mission for quite a while, and they're planning to completely revamp the mission system anyway.
Also, in case you didn't know, mission timers count down in real time, even if you aren't currently playing.

I know. But since it's roughly 3 days or so before it runs out (I have about 100+h left and I'm already in the station), that means it can still be possible they fix it in a server update or update patch,

mitchman

Gold Member

The clipper is nice but it requires large landing pads, which can be a bit of a PITA and restricts what you can do with it.

My net worth is 25M, my Type 7 is fairly upgraded and I'm a Baron of the Empire. Soon...

Class 3 Pulse lasers
Class 2 Multi cannons
One shield cell bank, though got class 7 shields so they take a lot, may have to pop 3-4 max. Will be easier when I can afford the thruster upgrade, a lot harder to get behind them at present. But to be honest I can pretty much go toe to toe with Shield cells and never see hull damage.
Present combat setup is worth about 33,000,000. But I made that much with going full cargo in the clipper, it's like a dream after the Type 7, so much nicer to fly.

What's your loadout btw?

Shifty76

Get at least 35m before buying the clipper. I got it at 30m and could barely afford cargo expansions, never mind anything else

The clipper is nice but it requires large landing pads, which can be a bit of a PITA and restricts what you can do with it.

Hasn't been a problem. I make 500k on a round trip when it's decked out for trading.300-350k one way and then because I'm allied at both stations I have loads of transport missions which makes up for the crappy trades in the other direction. You get used to what missions will be coming up too, so I always buy profitable goods that will have a chance of having a mission when I get back. If I get a well paying delivery job to a station with a smaller platform I buy a small ship just for the run. Only do this if it's worth it though.

Interesting, never thought of the Clipper as an offensive ship. But I guess it does have 2xlarge, 2x medium. Seems better than the 4xsmall and 2xmedium on my battle tank Asp.

Hrm ... which one is better in battle overall? I'm just talking PVE-wise. I've heard the hardpoint placement of the Clipper can cause issues.

Shifty76

Interesting, never thought of the Clipper as an offensive ship. But I guess it does have 2xlarge, 2x medium. Seems better than the 4xsmall and 2xmedium on my battle tank Asp.

Hrm ... which one is better in battle overall? I'm just talking PVE-wise. I've heard the hardpoint placement of the Clipper can cause issues.

With gimballed weapons it's not an issue. Another plus is that since you're bigger, ramming things is a valid tactic (killed a fully shielded Adder via bumping it and it barely dented my shield)

Haven't done a lot of combat in mine yet, but it seems to hit harder than the Asp. Of course, those components cost a lot more too...

With gimballed weapons it's not an issue. Another plus is that since you're bigger, ramming things is a valid tactic (killed a fully shielded Adder via bumping it and it barely dented my shield)

Haven't done a lot of combat in mine yet, but it seems to hit harder than the Asp. Of course, those components cost a lot more too...

Yeah, not too worried about cost. I mainly just want to get away from having to change ships. It was a cool idea at first but I have a Clipper fairly upgraded for trading and an Asp almost fully decked out for combat, plus about 20m in the bank. I'd imagine stripping the Asp and selling it would give me about 60m total to invest into the Clipper.

I honestly never realized it had those large hardpoints, I thought it was 2xsmall and 2x medium when glancing over it. I just enjoy flying the Clipper more than any other ship honestly. It handles like a dream, love the interior, and the view!

EDIT: Especially because outfitting doesn't cost anything for switching back and forth from 'trade' to 'battle'. It's just a minor annoyance. I'd rather outfit than be 'tied' down by having a ship in a system I can't leave behind. At least, until I'm completely comfortable switching to a Python (maybe).

Kyoufu

Yeah, not too worried about cost. I mainly just want to get away from having to change ships. It was a cool idea at first but I have a Clipper fairly upgraded for trading and an Asp almost fully decked out for combat, plus about 20m in the bank. I'd imagine stripping the Asp and selling it would give me about 60m total to invest into the Clipper.

I honestly never realized it had those large hardpoints, I thought it was 2xsmall and 2x medium when glancing over it. I just enjoy flying the Clipper more than any other ship honestly. It handles like a dream, love the interior, and the view!

No interest in the Python? If I had that much in credits I'd do it, although upgrades are expensive.

No interest in the Python? If I had that much in credits I'd do it, although upgrades are expensive.

Just the operating costs kind of sway me. I may go for it but I'd have to find a system with all the parts I'd need to be able to swap from 'battle' to 'trade'. I'm still thinking about it. I think my trade Python I wanted was about 85m total. I would be happy with the ship but I would definitely want a ton of money to play around with.

Just the fuel cost (unless I got a scoop) would negate half the bounties on smaller ships I'd hunt. I like the feeling of "if I die, I don't care about the money" right now. With the Asp my insurance is around 1.7m I think. With the 'trade' python it would be 3.2m. Plus being able to mess around with Interdictions would be almost 100k per drop.

Plus, dat view! Come on, that's the most important! I set my FOV manually to 70 so it's pretty awesome. I had it set to 70 when I first bought the Python before I had to trade (stupid maths) it back and I didn't like the view as much but it may have been my edited FOV that made it look bad.

Darklord

Banned
What should I upgrade on my ship first if I want to do combat? I have the default ship right now. Should I upgrade my ship first or upgrade the sidewinder?

mitchman

Gold Member
Hasn't been a problem. I make 500k on a round trip when it's decked out for trading.300-350k one way and then because I'm allied at both stations I have loads of transport missions which makes up for the crappy trades in the other direction. You get used to what missions will be coming up too, so I always buy profitable goods that will have a chance of having a mission when I get back. If I get a well paying delivery job to a station with a smaller platform I buy a small ship just for the run. Only do this if it's worth it though.

Yeah, I went straight for the Python as I couldn't be bothered to find out how to get the ranks needed for the clipper :)

Just the operating costs kind of sway me. I may go for it but I'd have to find a system with all the parts I'd need to be able to swap from 'battle' to 'trade'. I'm still thinking about it. I think my trade Python I wanted was about 85m total. I would be happy with the ship but I would definitely want a ton of money to play around with.

I actually haven't paid for fuel since I got mine, but I have had a couple of incidents where I've received some hull damage, and that's quite expensive (500k for 30% hull damage, yikes). When I use it for trading, I use an size 3 fuel scoop and a A4 shield, but otherwise it's D6 shield and size 4 fuel scoop.

mitchman

Gold Member
What should I upgrade on my ship first if I want to do combat? I have the default ship right now. Should I upgrade my ship first or upgrade the sidewinder?

Get into a new ship as fast as you can, it's quite pointless to upgrade the sidewinder.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Get into a new ship as fast as you can, it's quite pointless to upgrade the sidewinder.

Not true, there is currently a guy making his way across the galaxy in an upgraded Sidewinder. They can get up to 20LY jump range, that's a workable amount for exploring.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't stay in the Sidewinder for anything other than exploring. That is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Burny

Thanks a lot! I will try that out and hope that it's not a general issue with this HOTAS setup. Wouldn't buttons presses not registering be a reason for sending the hardware in?

Tried it and figured out what you meant. ^^ Don't understand why pressing the wheel sometimes registeres as pressing the button with the wheel symbol, but upon rebinding, it is mapped to the middle (or right?) mouse and registers reliably.

owlbeak

Not true, there is currently a guy making his way across the galaxy in an upgraded Sidewinder. They can get up to 20LY jump range, that's a workable amount for exploring.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't stay in the Sidewinder for anything other than exploring. That is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
I put about 60k into upgrades for my Sidewinder at the beginning of the game and loved the ship. I killed a lot of Eagles, Vipers and other Sidewinders, but knew not to engage anything else. I didn't get blown up by another ship until I was in my Viper.

Sidewinder is very capable in good hands, but there is definitely a ceiling with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom