• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

So I set up my HOTAS yesterday so finally play this after the official release, ... all custom control settings lost - then I went to sleep, haha. :-/

So I set up my HOTAS yesterday so finally play this after the official release, ... all custom control settings lost - then I went to sleep, haha. :-/

Do a search on the Frontier forums for your setup, chances are a few people have the same stick. I just got voice attack and the HTC pack. It's really good if you can't be arsed reaching for your keyboard. Which I often can't to be honest.

derFeef

Do a search on the Frontier forums for your setup, chances are a few people have the same stick. I just got voice attack and the HTC pack. It's really good if you can't be arsed reaching for your keyboard. Which I often can't to be honest.

I have the X52 but was quite unhappy with the default settings, I played/configured an hour before I was happy with everything - I think I will really try voice attack so make some things easier.

Ok guys need some help. I've not been on for a while as I was waiting for my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X to arrive. Now it has I'm getting a little confused with key bindings.

I've looked at this one here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140 but some of the key bindings aren't exactly the same as they say in-game, like UI Mode is not in the in-game settings but UI focus is...

Would someone who is using my Joystick (Which I know many of you are as so many recommended it to me!) be able to send me a few print screens of their key bindings in-game so I can just copy them instead?

Edit: Nevermind I think I've sorted it. Oh and HOLY SHIT this game is 1000% better with the Joystick. The extra immersion goes a long way. Going to dive in later and do some Pirating me thinks :p

So what do you guys think of the incoming nerfs to SCB's and the Python? I'm not sure I really like the direction the game is going with chasing "PVP Balance".

I thought PVP was an afterthought in this game but almost all of the fixes/patches/discussion from the devs seem to be focusing on it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So what do you guys think of the incoming nerfs to SCB's and the Python? I'm not sure I really like the direction the game is going with chasing "PVP Balance".

I thought PVP was an afterthought in this game but almost all of the fixes/patches/discussion from the devs seem to be focusing on it.

Do you have a link to said nerfs?

Effect

Thinking back to a fight I had a few days ago. How is it that a ship can enter hyperspace or even supercruise when the canopy of the cockpit is destroyed and oxygen is escaping!? For all the rules this game has in place in how a ship moves and acts that's a huge WTF for me.

I had that happen and managed to get back to a station and dock with perhaps 30 seconds left. Afterward I sat there and kept thinking about the situation and couldn't get away from having a big problem with that.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86856&page=13&p=1555047&viewfull=1#post1555047

Lots of posts there. Just picking a couple:

Just a quick heads up: we've been looking at the stats for shield cell banks and have made some tweaks, which should filter out in a near future update. Basically, cell capacities have been reduced, cost per cell has been increased, and the passive power draw for having a cell bank active has increased.

We're not totally convinced this is the end of tweaking shield cell banks, but we think it will be a move in the right direction.

Hello Commanders!

Another quick update: with the next tweaks of shield cell banks (coming soon(tm)) the spool up delay has also been increased from one second to five (which in fairness is another number that fell between the cracks during the last round of balancing).

Again, this isn't the be all and end all. But we look forward to seeing how the tweaks change folks perception of shield cell banks.

It's been in discussions randomly on the threads there. Here's a link to a forum tracker:

http://eft.recoil.org/posts

Python one is here:

Hello Commander Johnny Spaceboots! Just watched the video you linked. Have to say and I have to say, it didn't seem to me to a complete joke (I found it rather enjoyable, and in fairness, so it seems did the players involved). The python is by most reckonings, a beast of a ship (a little too beastly, we will be dropping it's manoeuvrability a tad). Interestingly, if the Cobra had had weapons other than missile racks on the wing mounts, the python's shields would have probably broken a few times (missiles are utterly terrible versus shields, though they are hungry for hull). Do I think the video highlights an issue: yes. Do I think the tweaks rolling out will address it: I'm not sure. Am I prepared to make further changes if we feel the next changes don't work: yes. Do we have quite a few options: yes. It may well be that we end up with one of the more severe solutions, but that will only happen once I'm sure we can't find more interesting compromises.

And the shield cell changes are mainly upping the spooling (which is fine, spamming 1s SCB's is a bit over the top) and power restrictions, which may cause an issue with my BattleTank Asp because I already have to disable modules to run in 'combat' or 'FSD'. We'll see, a bit unclear.

I don't know, I just dislike how most of the developer interaction is all about nerfs and PVP. It's a fun part of the game, but it's like 15% of what the game is to me but I keep getting a sinking feeling that's where we're going to end up.

Wreav

Banned
I'm ok with it, frankly. SCBs are ridiculously OP right now, as is the Python. Plenty of us are playing the game for PvP anyways.

Shifty76

Took my clipper bounty hunting / pirating in an anarchy system. KWS scanned all targets and got the bounty awarded message every kill yet my transactions tab shows zero bounty vouchers to be redeemed.

F that, back to trading for me.

Thinking back to a fight I had a few days ago. How is it that a ship can enter hyperspace or even supercruise when the canopy of the cockpit is destroyed and oxygen is escaping!? For all the rules this game has in place in how a ship moves and acts that's a huge WTF for me.

I had that happen and managed to get back to a station and dock with perhaps 30 seconds left. Afterward I sat there and kept thinking about the situation and couldn't get away from having a big problem with that.

Cause when you are entering hyperspace or supercruise, it is not your thrusters going into overdrive. That would just collapse any ship structure.

See it as the FSD creating a magnetic field distortion around you ship that propels the entire space it covers at faster than light speeds. That means that the ship structure is not suffering any additional external forces compared to normal flight.

cronos_qc

Neo Member
A quick question:

I loved Eve Online, Descent: Freespace & 2, Privateer, etc.

Since the release of the games, I'm on the fence of buying it. But, as I read this thread, my impressions are a bit mixed.

Does it feel like an Early Access Games? (games is working but lack of content, which will be released in the future)

Would you me recommend this games right now?

How fast updates are coming to the games?

Is there many things to do?

How many people are playing it online? do you often encounter other players?

Thank you

I'm ok with it, frankly. SCBs are ridiculously OP right now, as is the Python. Plenty of us are playing the game for PvP anyways.

Yeah, it's about 15% of the reason I play the game although I haven't come across any Player Pythons, just Vipers that seem to bolt if I get them low.

I'll follow the developments and still play, but I'm getting that "WoW Arena" vibe with how much attention they are paying to the PVP "balance".

I mean, they are "fixing the Python" but haven't even added other ships yet? How does it balance around that? I don't think every ship should be able to take out every other ship. That's just not fun for anybody aiming to get a better ship.

A quick question:

Since the release of the games, I'm on the fence of buying it. But, as I read this thread, my impressions are a bit mixed.

Does it feel like an Early Access Games? (games is working but lack of content, which will be released in the future)

Thank you

Honestly, I couldn't really recommend this game right now. I'm unclear on what direction they want to take it. Updates are fairly slow and since Beta ended they haven't really been forthcoming with any dates as to when the (to me) important stuff is coming like new ships, mission fixes, added 'depth', NPC AI improvements, job viability, etc ...

There are 3 things to do:

Trade (Point A-B-X)
Bounty Hunt (NPC and Players)
Pirate (Players)

We don't know how many people are playing "online" really. There are 3 modes, Private (only you and the people in that 'group'), Solo (only you and NPCs), and Open (NPC's and other players playing Open). They said they sold around 300k at launch, not sure how many were in Beta/Alpha, but if polls are any indicator about 30% play in Open, but nobody knows except FD and they won't tell us anything regarding that statistic that I've seen.

It definitely feels "early access". I notice no difference in my play since being early Beta in September. Honestly, I'd wait. I was gung-ho about the game but it may be going in a direction I don't like (but you might!). Nothing is lost by waiting, hell, you may even find a discount or special price with some added bonuses when/if an expansion or huge update comes out.

aranth

Thank you Cmdr. Pinkman for interdicting my 5 beam laser Python with your little multicannon Asp near Lave Station. Those were the fastest 750k I've ever made.

bountyjmjwx.png

Not even a "I want your cargo" before deploying hardpoints and peppering me with his multicannons. He turned tail and ran when I quickly dispatched his shields with a few seconds of sustained beam laser fire, but couldn't jump away fast enough with my Python mass-locking him.

bsod

Banned
A quick question:

Thank you

I'll tell you what I told my friend who was interested in buying the game: Don't unless you can live with the possibility of losing $60. The game's fun for a short while or in bursts, but there's very little content and Frontier is updating the game at a snail's pace. The game's got great atmosphere but beyond that don't expect much depth, at least for now.

GeoGonzo

At first I wasn't very happy with the shield cell bank because it didn't seem like they were making them less powerful, only more expensive... but with the delay if may be fine, or at the very least better.

Thank you Cmdr. Pinkman for interdicting my 5 beam laser Python with your little multicannon Asp near Lave Station. Those were the fastest 750k I've ever made.

bountyjmjwx.png

Not even a "I want your cargo" before deploying hardpoints and peppering me with his multicannons. He turned tail and ran when I quickly dispatched his shields with a few seconds of sustained beam laser fire, but couldn't jump away fast enough with my Python mass-locking him.

Amazing! :)

bj00rn_

Banned
I'll tell you what I told my friend who was interested in buying the game: Don't unless you can live with the possibility of losing $60. The game's fun for a short while or in bursts, but there's very little content and Frontier is updating the game at a snail's pace. The game's got great atmosphere but beyond that don't expect much depth, at least for now.

Heh, as a contrast I think it's probably the best $60 I've spent in a long time (it helps that it's so good in VR though).

Frontier isn't slow at updating, but the updates are mostly in the "framework". They have with the current version one of the better frameworks in the genre, and there is already good depth for sandboxing, but with a few clumsy flaws. In fact, I'd say that on the contrary it's exactly in the atmosphere the game is lacking right now.

Shifty76

A quick question:

Thank you

How important is multiplayer interaction to you?

Seems to me that the people who have played it and shelved it already are those that are heavily into the mp aspect.

Those of us who don't give a crap about that are still going strong and loving it.

If lots of mp is your thing then I'd recommend holding off.

No crashes here, but damn, I made some serious money yesterday, in about 3-4 hours of lazily playing (making dinner, playing with the pup, etc ... ) I made almost 10m.

I did a lot of bounty hunting over the weekend and I had to reconfigure my layout on my X55, FA off and boost are too close together on the same hand and I'm constantly hitting those.

I decided against making the Clipper my attacker, the Asp will have to do plus I have enough invested in it that it seems to make easy work of NPCs at RES.

For the traders out there, that have VLC player always on top or w/e ... or don't have two monitors (I play on my HDTV) ... I found a little program called "Floating Netflix".

Ha, this makes it so easy to lose yourself in a trade route. I find it relaxing as I'm always "doing something else" while watching TV a lot of the time, be it playing a portable, or reading the internet ... now I can watch Netflix on the TV and play at the same time!

Here's what the screen looks like. The window is basically the same but in this shitty cell phone pic I'm just watching a movie on my PC

7GMRtay.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've had 2 big system crashes in probably 12-15 hours. Are occasional crashes something that others have been experiencing or is it just me?

I haven't had the game crash on me once yet, not once since launch.

Holy shit, this sounds awesome!

Community Goals Patch 1.1

The first Community Goals will be based around supply and bounties. "For example," Brookes says, "a faction might task our pilots with racking up a number of kills in a particular system, effectively sending massive numbers of players to war for or against particular group." He explains that these massive player migrations will have a knock-on effect on galaxy-wide economy and power structures.
Players can contribute towards the goal whatever mode they're playing. While Open Play will see greater numbers of players diverge on the targeted system, Solo Mode and Private Group players will still be able to contribute to the overall total.

Some other awesome graphical tidbits:

Brookes also teases some of patch 1.1's other features. "Alongside a number of tweaks and bug fixes we’re adding a shiny new gas giant shader," he says. "Gas giants now use a parallax shader which improves the feeling of depth within the layers of gas. You can see giant canyons in the gases of Jupiter and high level white clouds floating over Neptune.

"We also have city lights on the dark side of planets, which is something the community and the development team has been looking forward to for some time!"

GeoGonzo

Sounds great. We'll probably also get dozens of small tweaks and fixes, their patchnotes are often insanely long. Hopefully a new ship too?

1.1 will also have a better route planner with 1000LY range.

I wish they'd make it so your target/destination would get a route calculated first before branching off into every known direction. They really need some improvements there.

Also STOP defaulting to "economical" route if I have never used it, ever.

bj00rn_

Banned
Very strange, I'm in a system now (LP 48-567) with a lot of un-explorable celestial bodies.. I can fly into orbit, but the discovery scanner does not react, and can't lock on.

Happened to anybody else?

There was a lot of objects in the system though, probably between 40-50, maybe a bug because of the amount..

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Like not pointing me to stars 5ly away while I have a fsd that does 19?

Check the "fastest" checkbox instead of "economical" on the first tab. "Fastest" really means "fewest jumps" and "Economical" really means "shortest jumps". I assume the option's there due to fuel costs increasing more quickly as jump distance increases.

I wish they'd make it so your target/destination would get a route calculated first before branching off into every known direction. They really need some improvements there.

Also STOP defaulting to "economical" route if I have never used it, ever.

Yeah, sitting there watching it chug away on that sphere of all possible routes while I have the destination selected is silly. Hopefully they have it fixed in this patch.

What, the fact that you can stack bounty missions and make 1mil for 1 single kill isn't buffed enough for you?

Except it takes ten minutes to select each mission (as you have to wait for the bulletin board to refresh) so about an hour in total of just selecting the missions. Then you have to fly around checking out USSs which also takes for ever, especially if you have more than one mission happening at once.

It's not a buff, but a bug.

Check the "fastest" checkbox instead of "economical" on the first tab. "Fastest" really means "fewest jumps" and "Economical" really means "shortest jumps". I assume the option's there due to fuel costs increasing more quickly as jump distance increases.

Yeah, sitting there watching it chug away on that sphere of all possible routes while I have the destination selected is silly. Hopefully they have it fixed in this patch.

Tnx. Will check it out.

Shifty76

Very strange, I'm in a system now (LP 48-567) with a lot of un-explorable celestial bodies.. I can fly into orbit, but the discovery scanner does not react, and can't lock on.

Happened to anybody else?

There was a lot of objects in the system though, probably between 40-50, maybe a bug because of the amount..
Tried selecting them via your nav panel?
I've fully scanned systems with 60+ objects without issue. You do need to be close (5 ls or so) for small things like asteroid belts and some moons.

itxaka

Defeatist
So I just started and go around a few planets and systems and its pretty cool.

One thing thought, I would like to be a explorer and go down into some planets and so on.

Is that even possible? Or not? Do you need any special ship for that or extra stuff on your ship?

kvk1

Bought an Eagle after a long stint in the Hauler doing some trading. I was getting bored and wanted to get some quality dogfighting time in.

It's absurd how quickly my stick and rudder skills atrophied after leaving the Sidewinder.

I figured I could immediately jump into some moderate difficulty assassination missions, but I got my ass handed to me.

Like, my HOTAS falling of my desk levels of ass handing.

GeoGonzo

So I just started and go around a few planets and systems and its pretty cool.

One thing thought, I would like to be a explorer and go down into some planets and so on.

Is that even possible? Or not? Do you need any special ship for that or extra stuff on your ship?

Not yet, planetary landings is planned content for a mayor expansion down the line. Check back in a year, maybe!

Not yet, planetary landings is planned content for a mayor expansion down the line. Check back in a year, maybe!

That's supposed be a paid expansion though, and I get a feeling it might segregate the user base, however, I cannot wait for it regardless! Really hope it won't be too far off.

By the way what part do I need to scan for resource areas and nav beacons? I'm near an anarchy system that I'd love to go hunting in but I can't find anything after flying for ages. One planet so far and nothing else but a couple of clean pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom