• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Just had my first successful interdiction + pirating. Now the game is starting to feel a little more alive!

These fools' pride will be the death of them, valuing their cargo over their lives.

Was watching the gb quicklook while grinding out cargo runs. Had a few beverages and wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing.

Tresspass fine 400 cr. WTF...oh shit...nooo...10 secs to gtfo. Didn't make it.

850k insurance + 1.5m cargo gone.

Don't E:D when drunk.

Oh god this hurt to read.

Worst I've had was crashing into a station trying to smuggle and losing a 45k bounty ticket. Should have cashed in at a station first, then tried the jump.

Dex815

And I saw they're planning on an external API for third party apps to use. I guess my tablet will get some use as a second screen at that point!

Well that is too late... they lost one of the best third party content producers due to their attitude in this topic a few months ago.

Their change of mind is great... but too late.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39671

http://www.elite-metrics.com/

I don't think that they will provide a wide API including stuff like market data, map or station installations. They already said that they are against these kind of market apps/web services because they believe that they destroy the purpose of the game's trader role and gives unfair advantages to the people using these external apps/services.

Wreav

Banned
The results of my first successful pirating...not much, but still exciting!

VM6ZFnO.jpg

Weird trade bug. I have 216 max cargo but if I buy all 216 and sell its at one price but if I buy 214 and two of something else the 214 sell for more.

Same stations same cargo. Just an A-B-A route

bj00rn_

Banned
They already said that they are against these kind of market apps/web services because they believe that they destroy the purpose of the game's trader role and gives unfair advantages to the people using these external apps/services.

Of course they do. I can understand Frontier's resistance, especially because everything people do affect other people's games as well because the game is connected. I use a trading appmyself, I'm just saying that I can understand Frontier..

Very.

Standard controls felt a bit strange to me at first but it is actually very playable. Advanced thruster controls can be challenging but manageable.

Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply. It's great to hear it's functional - for some reason I was fearing far worse.

I saw the Giant Bomb QL and now ED looks like the best thing in the world. Unfortunately my computer's set-up prohibits any big peripherals, so pad or KB&M are my only options as of now.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Really? Huh. I would've assumed that there weren't enough buttons for a 360 pad to work out.

Thanks again for the info everyone.

They have a clever setup where they use the ABXY buttons as modifiers which cause D-pad inputs to do different things. A combination of two inputs can be mapped to a function in game. It takes a bit of memorizing but works well.

RK9039

I've been playing with keyboard+mouse as well, all I had to do was put roll on the A and D keys and it works really well.

so pad or KB&M are my only options as of now.

Most of my friends are using sticks, but personally I think the 360 controller is the way to go. Almost every button you need, and the thumb sticks are nice for precise movements.

Admittedly I don't do a lot of combat though, so maybe that's where it runs into problems.

Danj

So I got my Federation Navy rank to Midshipman, got the invite to Sol with the Sol System permit, and now I'm at Sol and nothing? Except the permit mission reappeared in the "Available but unobtainable" section (because I already have the permit). What gives?

RealMeat

Banned
So I got my Federation Navy rank to Midshipman, got the invite to Sol with the Sol System permit, and now I'm at Sol and nothing? Except the permit mission reappeared in the "Available but unobtainable" section (because I already have the permit). What gives?

Same thing happened to me. Apparently for now the the Sol permit is your reward, and nothing actually happens when you go there. You'll keep getting new Federation missions, though.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm glad people are being brought into the game through it but that giantbomb quicklook was pretty tough to watch from lack of info and not knowing stuff but it's not like Drew was to really blame, as they mentioned near the end there is a lot of stuff to figure out and it helps to have people to talk about it with. Though since it was the second video I was hoping for some cooler stuff to watch.
Jeff gives a decent warning that it doesn't seem like it's all that deep for story lovers and is more of a sandbox.

I like how happy they got
at the end when they doubled their money from one bounty in a random USS and it sort of blew Drew's mind
. "Maybe I'll do some bounty hunting" yeah you will. #screwtraderoutes

How reliable is http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk ?

I've has the game since beta but I haven't really started playing until now. I'm just stating out (decided to scrap my last save because I ran out of fuel trying to get no lethal weapons lol).

Any tips on getting money fast? I want to focus mainly on trading and exploration..

How reliable is http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk ?

I've has the game since beta but I haven't really started playing until now. I'm just stating out (decided to scrap my last save because I ran out of fuel trying to get no lethal weapons lol).

Any tips on getting money fast? I want to focus mainly on trading and exploration..

At the moment it's find a place selling Performance Enhancers cheap with a "SEEKING LUXURIES" close by (look for high tech systems with a BOOM state and the closer the Seeking Luxuries to the selling station the better). Buy the PE's at the station, sell at the Seeking site. Rinse and repeat.

I make a little over 100,000 Cr in about 5 minutes in a T6 with 112 ton cargo.

Okay, first real play session under my belt ( a good 4 hours). Got started in the Eravate system, which seems decent enough.

Did some cargo runs, did a few "errand" missions, then did a "go kill these 2 pirate bastards" mission. Think i'm starting to get the hang of it. Switching to that "crab" control scheme I downloaded from that one website helped matters IMMENSELY.

Phionoxx

GB quick look has pretty much sold me on this game. For someone that would likely focus on solo-play, and isn't too concerned about co-op or PvP play, is now a good time to jump in or would it be better to wait so the game is fleshed out more?

Danj

At the moment it's find a place selling Performance Enhancers cheap with a "SEEKING LUXURIES" close by (look for high tech systems with a BOOM state and the closer the Seeking Luxuries to the selling station the better). Buy the PE's at the station, sell at the Seeking site. Rinse and repeat.

I make a little over 100,000 Cr in about 5 minutes in a T6 with 112 ton cargo.

How do you find these, and is there a list of what's classed as "Luxuries"?

Does having a large excess of power for your ship provide any additional bonus? Or does it not matter once you get beyond the basic requirement for your ship?

Danj

Is there anything you can upgrade on your ship to make it more resistant to interdiction / make it so it is harder for an enemy to succeed in interdicting you?

GeoGonzo

Is there anything you can upgrade on your ship to make it more resistant to interdiction / make it so it is harder for an enemy to succeed in interdicting you?
No, but be aware that they need to be behind you to interdict. Keeping an eye on the contacts tab and turning -towards- pirates instead of away from them is enough to force them to turn around you (and hopefully you'll be gone by then)

Darklord

Banned
I was told I need to fly to a system to blow up some transports. It didn't say it was illegal either. I fly there and find a ship to starts saying we can work things out and he doesn't want to be blown up. I do it anyway...and get a 10,000cr bounty. Wtf? And then to top it off, it wasn't even the right ship. Well then why the fuck did he try to flee and act like he was the target I was after? It's stupid.

I also killed a pirate and got a 7000 reward. It says it from Independent Evarat Free. So I fly to one of their stations, go to the station menu....no bounty to collect.

I don't get it.

bj00rn_

Banned
I was told I need to fly to a system to blow up some transports. It didn't say it was illegal either. I fly there and find a ship to starts saying we can work things out and he doesn't want to be blown up. I do it anyway...and get a 10,000cr bounty. Wtf? And then to top it off, it wasn't even the right ship. Well then why the fuck did he try to flee and act like he was the target I was after? It's stupid.

I also killed a pirate and got a 7000 reward. It says it from Independent Evarat Free. So I fly to one of their stations, go to the station menu....no bounty to collect.

I don't get it.

He was not registered with any bounty. He just suggested a deal on the behalf of the other part. He didn't do anything illegal, you did :)

If you f.ex. have federation bounties to redeem and the station you visit doesn't have a federation alliance, there will be no way to redeem those bounties at that station, naturally.

Anyway, I have a question on my own:

Edit: When I look in the galaxy map I can see a countdown timer on the system data, what is that timer doing..?

GeoGonzo

I do it anyway...and get a 10,000cr bounty. Wtf? And then to top it off, it wasn't even the right ship. Well then why the fuck did he try to flee and act like he was the target I was after? It's stupid.
Every ship will try to shake you off if you're tailing them, and you should do it too,
you filthy pirate, you!

I just explored a system with about 50 (!) "new objects", when I look in the galaxy map I can see a countdown timer on the acquired data, what is that timer doing..?
I haven't done any serious exploring but, that's not the trade data countdown, is it? The game seems to remember trade data from a visited station for up to 48 hours I think.

bj00rn_

Banned
Every ship will try to shake you off if you're tailing them, and you should do it too,
you filthy pirate, you!

I haven't done any serious exploring but, that's not the trade data countdown, is it? The game seems to remember trade data from a visited station for up to 48 hours I think.

Ah, yes, that would make a lot more sense.

0_0 wat

and here I am getting excited about making 1,000cr by selling textiles in Eravate

If you are after a longer trade route this is what was recommended to me by someone on another forum :-

"ead to the system LP 751-1, station Lamarr Ring. It's around 20 light years from Eravate. When you're there, have a look at the commodities market. You'll notice that tea is in medium supply, so load up with anything up to 7 tonnes of the stuff. This should keep your ship under the weight needed to make the 4 hops to the system you're going to sell at.

Now head to the Chapman Terminal in system LP 694-16. You should be able to sell the tea for a profit of 541CR per tonne, which is 3787 if you've managed to take all 7 tonnes of it. You'll also notice that Crop Harvesters are in high supply, and the beauty here is that they're in demand at the station you've just come from. So load up with 7 of them and then head back to LP 751-1. You'll be able to sell these for a total profit of 4536.

So the round trip is going to net you 8323 CR. We're talking modest amounts here, but you are only in a sidewinder. It shouldn't take you long to work your way up to a hauler which has a maximum cargo hold of 22. The same round trip in that would net you a total of 26158 CR. "

Does participating in War Zones have any impact on faction rep? Also, how do you find War Zones? I've only even seen them once or twice, but they were so fun.

Jedi2016

It doesn't, other than providing a buffer in case the enemy shoots at your power generator.
They're more heat-efficient. Very handy for my Type-6, which had a habit of overheating at the slightest provocation (like making a hyperspace jump). Makes fuel scooping a hell of a lot better.

Traded in my T7 for a Clipper, did a bunch of missions to get my rank up. WHAT A VIEW! Seriously, I'm not sure when(if) I move to a T9 but this gave me 240 cargo over the 216 I had and it's a dream to fly and look out of the window. Nothing obstructs your view. I am enjoying my trade runs even more. It was pretty cheap too because I had the T7 decked out so I actually got a lot of money back from the trade.

But man, having flown everything except Federal Dropship, T9, and an Anaconda, this is easily the best view in the game.

I couldn't resist any longer. I just bought this game. I'm going to start off using a DS4 but if the game hooks me, I will be buying a HOTAS setup. I've done a little research but I imagine I have a lot to learn. I enjoyed Eurotruck Sim 2 quite a bit so space trucking sounds very appealing in comparison.

Raticus79

Edit: never mind, bad info. Unlocking Alioth requires getting to Allied standing with the Alliance, not a specific faction.

Danj

I managed to get the next naval progression mission, it is a black ops hit on a Federal Dropship in Alpha Centauri but how do I find the guy? I've been investigating Unidentified Signal Sources for the past hour and nothing.

Faith

So I found a new trading route. 300LS & 480LS from star, one of them is an outpost. I get 2650CR/ton and fuel cost are 2200CR/run for my ASP. With 120T cargo and 10min/run I make 1.9mio/hour.

There is also another trading route 100LY away from my current location. 130LS & 930LS from star, should also be an outpost. The trading tool says 2960CR/ton. I'm going to check it out later, if it's true I'm going to make 2.1mio/hour there with my ASP.

Shifty76

GB quick look has pretty much sold me on this game. For someone that would likely focus on solo-play, and isn't too concerned about co-op or PvP play, is now a good time to jump in or would it be better to wait so the game is fleshed out more?
I've mentioned a few times here that I have zero interest in anything other than solo play, and I absolutely love the game.

Regarding seeking luxuries guys: Find a high tech station with a boom economy. That's where they'll be. Profit isn't bad if your station sells performance enhancers for under 6500, and the station is under 20 ls away, but a good trade route still usually pays better.

In my T-6 I was making ~220k per 10 min luxuries run, so ~1.3m/hr.

I was making 300k for a 10 min round trip selling goods between systems. Making 550k per now in my 240t cargo clipper.

Raticus79

Weird, there's a station in LFT 926 that has a current state [CIVIL UNREST] and a pending state [CIVIL WAR].

The description says "this faction is embroiiled in a state of civil unrest. It remains unclear whether terms will be reached without a change in leadership taking place".

It makes sense, it's just the first time I've seen them as separate states.

---

Jet Federal in Kokojina's up to 95% and about to start expanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom