• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

If I'm doing bounties in a system with both a federation and an alliance station, which faction am I helping by doing bounties? Also, is helping a minor faction always directly helping the major faction they pledge allegiance to?

Sorry for the weird/specific questions, just trying to wrap my head around the game.

My guess would be whichever system holds the bounty on the wanted ships you're killing

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Do you have the detailed and advanced scanners? I had both yet on my explorer tab it still shows zero level 2 or 3 scans. Not sure what I missed there as I scanned everything. Maybe you need to get really close?

Yeah I have the detail surface scanner and the advanced main scanner. From what I've read no one at all is getting anything in those level 2 or 3 scan slots, so it's either for future content or it's for content that was cut and lost. At present nothing is a level 2 or 3 scan.

Xanezz

Banned
If I'm doing bounties in a system with both a federation and an alliance station, which faction am I helping by doing bounties? Also, is helping a minor faction always directly helping the major faction they pledge allegiance to?

Sorry for the weird/specific questions, just trying to wrap my head around the game.

To my knowledge the leading faction gets the bonus. I.e. if the system is under Federation jurisdiction (by having a Federation corp in charge) you will increase the rep with them.
That said, I'm not a much of a bounty hunter so I'm not 100% on that, it sounds logical to me.

----

As a general rule: Increasing reputation with sub factions does increase reputation with the overall main faction (Federation, Empire, Alliance). But you need a whole bunch of factions allied to even get on friendly terms with the faction (I've read people being allied with 9 corps and friendly with 8 before they got friendly)

----

Also note that bounty hunting apparently only temporarily increases standing/the standing you gained by bounty hunting decays slowly (at least that was the design idea during gamma). Predominantly you really want to do missions for reputation.

The wiki says:
As of 1.03 bounty hunting now gains a reputation gain with the faction you hunt in.
No mention if it's permanent now, or not, so maybe that design decision got changed?

Yeah I have the detail surface scanner and the advanced main scanner. From what I've read no one at all is getting anything in those level 2 or 3 scan slots, so it's either for future content or it's for content that was cut and lost. At present nothing is a level 2 or 3 scan.

I wonder if they are reserved for planetary landings.

Got my EDTracker all setup and attached to a hat. Man, that will take some getting used to. Especially because I toggle it on and off.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh man, the server changes for Ho Hsi went through and Jet Comms got slaughtered, lol.

Ho Hsi Corp jumped 29% up to 79.9%, Jet Comms is down to 19.9%.

HQFbMCT.png

"The best unfinished game of last year."

Yep.

I've shelved the game for now. Its totally unfinished, lacks content, and I don't want to burn myself out on it before the consumer Oculous launch, or if Morpheus is PC compatible.
I'll be back, I'm sure it'll be relaunched when Oculous drops, and it'll be twice the game by then.

I've put it on hold. I've seen all there is to see, had a blast, but all that's left now is grinding for credits.

Don't regret the purchase at all, got like 150 hours out of it, but a break is in order.

I think I'll be doing the same.

edit - Won't even have wings until the end of March at the earliest, definitely a good time to do the above.

geez, I guess I won't be jumping in, then.

Raticus79

I'm still laughing every time I look at that, lol. I bet a big part of the server showed up for the first big PVP thing, decided to oppose whatever people were trying to organize and wound up with massive overkill for something maybe 10 people were actively working toward.

i was kinda starting to feel the same way about the game until i started getting into the factions more. now i have these larger grander goals about influencing systems into civil war to help the alliance take control and helping them spread throughout the galaxy. the grind is definitely there still, but it just feels kinda incidental in the grand scheme of my goals. Earning credits while i try to help advance my chosen faction throughout the milky way has ended up being a really addictive game loop for me.

I've seen people banding together to try and focus everyone's attention on a single system at a time, which gave me a brief taste at the idea of a cooperative experience even though Wings seem to be so far away.

if you're bored of the game and you haven't checked out factions yet, definitely look into em before you shelve the game. the devs on their forums were saying that they're intentionally obscuring a lot of the systems surrounding factions, and i've been getting a dark souls-esque joy out of poking at it and trying to figure out how it works. it's kind of a cheap way of creating gameplay i guess, but it at least makes me feel like there's more content to discover.

Raticus79

HIP 65636 actually has a faction at the most convenient station which jumped 20% to 42% just by virtue of being the best source of Palladium around Leesti. I don't think anyone was actually working on it otherwise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh man, the server changes for Ho Hsi went through and Jet Comms got slaughtered, lol.

Ho Hsi Corp jumped 29% up to 79.9%, Jet Comms is down to 19.9%.

HQFbMCT.png

That's absurd. During the war the only mission Ho Hsi had available was for donations for 4 million credits, that isn't the kind of desperation move a winning side makes.

Looks like they got some more kinks to work out.

Raticus79

Finished checking out some spots in Empire space. LTT 1873 was ok. I found a better one though - a pretty good Seeking Luxuries spot at Hatmehing. Edit: the profit's a bit low though, only around 800. Oh well.

Shifty76

Finished checking out some spots in Empire space. LTT 1873 was ok. I found a better one though - a pretty good Seeking Luxuries spot. Quote and check the email tag in the preview for details.

Nice. What's the buy cost on the PE's?

Currently running a loop between Yawa and Eotienses which gives 1200 one way and 1400 the other. 25 ly distance total, so two jumps.

This is the HUD scheme I ended up running with:

1MgVLCt.jpg

Allied ships show up as that icky neon yellow colour, but I like the rest of it

bj00rn_

Banned
Because I was talking to a guy that is playing at 144hz and super eager about the rift.

I agree 75-90 is plenty for us 60 plebes.

It's still an odd single reference used on a forum where basically everyone already knew the CV1 is going to be 90Hz minimum (optional lower). This has always been the target because that's the threshold for flicker/presence. 144Hz on a traditional display vs 90HZ VR is apples and oranges, so using the word "only" about 90Hz VR is quite a stretch :)

mitchman

Gold Member
But it's also travelling at twice the speed. I have the KWS, and all the good stuff, plus it's cheap as hell to run compared to the Python. I couldn't imagine doing these little quests and such for rank in a Python, would cost me tens of thousands just in fuel, not much for a day, but I'm trying to get Imperial Clipper rank at the moment, think I might buy that ship too.

What, you pay for fuel? Fuel scoop, man, size 4 and you fill half the tank in less than a minute. No running cost except ammo for my python.

For what it's worth I'm still loving it. I don't give a crap about the mp aspects though, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

Me too. I actually switch between trading in my decked T7 and random missions in my decked Asp.

i was kinda starting to feel the same way about the game until i started getting into the factions more. now i have these larger grander goals about influencing systems into civil war to help the alliance take control and helping them spread throughout the galaxy. the grind is definitely there still, but it just feels kinda incidental in the grand scheme of my goals. Earning credits while i try to help advance my chosen faction throughout the milky way has ended up being a really addictive game loop for me.

I've seen people banding together to try and focus everyone's attention on a single system at a time, which gave me a brief taste at the idea of a cooperative experience even though Wings seem to be so far away.

if you're bored of the game and you haven't checked out factions yet, definitely look into em before you shelve the game. the devs on their forums were saying that they're intentionally obscuring a lot of the systems surrounding factions, and i've been getting a dark souls-esque joy out of poking at it and trying to figure out how it works. it's kind of a cheap way of creating gameplay i guess, but it at least makes me feel like there's more content to discover.

This is what rejuvenated the game for me for sure. Running around doing random missions and increasing reputation is a lot fun. Although the missions do need some better variation and rewards. I think a cool reward chain would be cool.

What, you pay for fuel? Fuel scoop, man, size 4 and you fill half the tank in less than a minute. No running cost except ammo for my python.

Yeah, I'm going to save for the Python again. I think I'll keep the Asp and T7 this time around though. I also noticed that my FOV at 70 for the Asp and T7 work, but it's odd in the Python. I wonder if it's because it's a two-seater up front? They seem to work best with the 60-65 FOV range.

For those with EDTracker, do you keep it on the whole time or do you toggle it? I'm finding the toggle I was hoping to use isn't quite working as much as I liked. And I'm getting a lot of drift it seems, which is pretty sad. I may have to just sell it on ebay and get a 9150 version or map a "re-center" button to my HOTAS since reaching up and hitting that button is kind of annoying every 10-15 minutes. I'd give the EDTracker a B- in overall satisfaction. It's awesome looping around things and still looking, but the added "micro management" is pretty annoying.

Developer gave me more clarification. I'm OK with this change now with Shield Cells. Looks like it's more balanced around cost/effectiveness ration than instead of limiting the amount.

What did I miss regarding shield cells?

People on the main forums were complaining that they were imbalanced for 1v1 conflict.

I was of the camp that "the game isn't designed around 1v1 conflict".

Developer jumps in saying they are looking at changes.

I was unhappy because the only reason would be for 1v1 PVP.

Asked some questions, he clarified that it's more of the actual cost, power draw, and such, there won't be 'hard caps' or limits ... because the game is already pretty imbalanced (hauler vs viper, etc ... ) for 1v1.

At least, that's my takeaway.

Haunted

I'm LOSING MY MIND over the footage I've seen on GB. The scale, the scope, the sound effects in the frameshift drive, popping out of it, approaching new systems, entering (!) stations.

Holy shit this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
For what it's worth I'm still loving it. I don't give a crap about the mp aspects though, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

Yep, me too. I'm on a mission to get Explorer Elite and I fully know it's going to be a long, gradual journey. I've started playing Rogue Legacy this week and it's a greatly fun game, but I still spent two nights hopping around the stars in Elite. Just like the original Elite, this will be a game I keep coming back to for years most likely.

And I'm just fine with that!

Megasoum

Banned
Have they ever said anything about releasing the game on Steam?

I'm not complaining or port begging or anything like that. Just curious what's the situation on that.

RK9039

When will they allow me to get up from my seat and stretch my legs? that should have been a stretch goal.

I really want to see my ships from the outside.

I blew up my ship twice last night and lost 100k credits rebuying : (

First time I tried to do one of those large credit missions for a bounty. I found the Anaconda and started fighting him, but I had lost track of time and just after I started the warning that they were restarting in 15 mins hit me, so I was all freaking out trying to rush things. I was doing fairly well at first, and was easily able to get him down to about 40% before I was even stressed but then I missed a shield bank cell usage and my shields went down and he took my hull to about 80% before I could recover shields. After that thing continued well but when you get them down below 30% they really kick things up a notch in terms of attacking it seems. I blew through the all of my shield bank charges with him at about 10-15% left and lost my shields again, and I also got a 5 minute warning on the server restart. He was quickly taking down my hull and I got him down to 6% on a pass, then shot away while my chaff reloaded. My plan was to fly in for a final attack run and use my chaff to disable his locks and just eat the damage and knock out that final 6% of his health, so I set off to it. In my haste I got a little too close to his ship and maneuvered poorly can slammed right into it, taking out the 30% or so hull I had left and blowing me to bits. I am pretty sure he also died though. That was one 50k rebuy, and a miss on a 140k credit reward.

Shortly after I had respawned I was launching out of a station and accidentally hit my engine boost button on my mouse and slammed into the wall and blew up my new ship :/

Edit: I ditched the class 3 cargo bay on my Cobra and switched it out with a class 3 shield bank cell with a B rating. I think it has 11 charges so I should easily be able to kill those anacondas now.

Wreav

Banned
Yahtzee is best when a game leaves him to his own devices. He hates constraint and the modern "corridor" tropes in most games. Not too shocking to me that he'd like ED then.

Atrophis

I'm LOSING MY MIND over the footage I've seen on GB. The scale, the scope, the sound effects in the frameshift drive, popping out of it, approaching new systems, entering (!) stations.

Holy shit this game.

This game has the best sound design I've heard in years.

Shifty76

I blew up my ship twice last night and lost 100k credits rebuying : (

Was watching the gb quicklook while grinding out cargo runs. Had a few beverages and wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing.

Tresspass fine 400 cr. WTF...oh shit...nooo...10 secs to gtfo. Didn't make it.

850k insurance + 1.5m cargo gone.

Don't E:D when drunk.

Qasiel

Was watching the gb quicklook while grinding out cargo runs. Had a few beverages and wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing.

Tresspass fine 400 cr. WTF...oh shit...nooo...10 secs to gtfo. Didn't make it.

850k insurance + 1.5m cargo gone.

Don't E:D when drunk.

Yikes!

Darklord

Banned
I feel kind of aimless and unsure what to do right now. Most of the missions I can find are all the same. Either Naval progression, finding a black box, or hunting some guy. I wouldn't mind a few basic combat missions but I don't see any. I'm thinking of trying mining just to get some money at the start, not really sure what else to do.

GeoGonzo

I feel kind of aimless and unsure what to do right now. Most of the missions I can find are all the same. Either Naval progression, finding a black box, or hunting some guy. I wouldn't mind a few basic combat missions but I don't see any. I'm thinking of trying mining just to get some money at the start, not really sure what else to do.
Always do naval progression, ignore the rest unless you're going in the same direction or you're trying to improve your standing with a faction (and even then, don't take the ones about hunting pirates for more than 100,000... they're not easy.

Mining is kind of boring, but if you do try it don't use the cheapest refinery, it is painful to empty it after every piece of rock is scooped.

Consider bounty hunting at a resource extraction or a beacon, it pays well at the beginning and you'll get a better understanding of how combat works.

Darklord

Banned
Always do naval progression, ignore the rest unless you're going in the same direction or you're trying to improve your standing with a faction (and even then, don't take the ones about hunting pirates for more than 100,000... they're not easy.

Mining is kind of boring, but if you do try it don't use the cheapest refinery, it is painful to empty it after every piece of rock is scooped.

Consider bounty hunting at a resource extraction or a beacon, it pays well at the beginning and you'll get a better understanding of how combat works.

I'd do the Navy mission but they want non-lethal weapons and when I looked on the map it for military or high tech systems they're all further away than I can jump.

Danj

I finally made it to Ho Hsi! Now I just need to make 53k so I can buy a Hauler. I'm at about 36k now.

And I saw they're planning on an external API for third party apps to use. I guess my tablet will get some use as a second screen at that point!

EDIT: got my Hauler, started taking on the larger cargo missions.

After I plot a course in the galaxy map, but then explore the current system I'm in - by changing my target and scanning, etc. - am I then able to reselect my plotted route? I'm not sure how to resume the route, but when I go back into the galaxy map I see it's still plotted.

Qasiel

After I plot a course in the galaxy map, but then explore the current system I'm in - by changing my target and scanning, etc. - am I then able to reselect my plotted route? I'm not sure how to resume the route, but when I go back into the galaxy map I see it's still plotted.

If you look on your Navigation panel, one of the systems will have the "route plotter" icon on the same line. Select that, FSD to it and that should get you back on your path to your selected destination.

M4shy

Neo Member
So I picked up the game yesterday after watching a few streams. Must say the game is a lot more fun to play than to watch and visually it looks incredible.

Anyway, as a new player is it wise to pick up these kill 'missions' off the board in a station? Since the Sidewinder only has basic lasers which probably aren't that good at killing off things. Also half the stations I fly to I can't dock in as they're faction controlled, which is somewhat irritating.

GeoGonzo

Anyway, as a new player is it wise to pick up these kill 'missions' off the board in a station? Since the Sidewinder only has basic lasers which probably aren't that good at killing off things.
I wouldn't take combat missions till you have some real combat experience: keep in mind that in this game you LOSE reputation for failing or abandoning missions.
Also half the stations I fly to I can't dock in as they're faction controlled, which is somewhat irritating.
Wait, what? They should still let you dock. Maybe they aren't because too many people are using them. You can keep trying or simply move to less populated systems.

M4shy

Neo Member
I wouldn't take combat missions till you have some real combat experience: keep in mind that in this game you LOSE reputation for failing or abandoning missions.

Wait, what? They should still let you dock. Maybe they aren't because too many people are using them. You can keep trying or simply move to less populated systems.

I've only abandoned two missions - thanks for the info.

Well this is what I gather. Every 'independent' station I've tried docking at has let me on, but every other station that isn't controlled by independent hasn't let me dock. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.
I'll make my way to another faction station and try docking there. - maybe every station I tried to land at was full or something - landed in a ring and it's fine.

Shifty76

I've only abandoned two missions - thanks for the info.

Well this is what I gather. Every 'independent' station I've tried docking at has let me on, but every other station that isn't controlled by independent hasn't let me dock. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.
I'll make my way to another faction station and try docking there. - maybe every station I tried to land at was full or something - landed in a ring and it's fine.
If you're within 7.5km when you request docking and the station has empty landing pads then there's zero reason why they wouldn't let you dock. Some smaller outpost stations only have 3-4 landing pads so gotta be patient at those ones sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom