• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAlias

Been reading this thread daily and couldn't take it anymore!!

Bought the game yesterday and after a few initial hours of learning the docking procedures/mapping flight controls I am on my way. :)

Never used a joystick before and I can handle the ship fine with mouse + keyboard but seem to be feeling I am missing out by not getting a joystick. What setup are you guys using with the game?

Shifty76

Been reading this thread daily and couldn't take it anymore!!

Bought the game yesterday and after a few initial hours of learning the docking procedures/mapping flight controls I am on my way. :)

Never used a joystick before and I can handle the ship fine with mouse + keyboard but seem to be feeling I am missing out by not getting a joystick. What setup are you guys using with the game?
Thrustmaster T16000m stick with G15 keypad. Would have bought a HOTAS but had that stick from BF3 days so just used it. Once oculus consumer version goes live I'm def grabbing an x52 though.

Putosaure

Shit just had my first pirate encounter. Was sweeping through the galaxy then was arrested by some pirate motherfucker. I panicked, and my laser beams did just nothing to his shields. Combat was a long painful wait for destruction. Hopefully I had no cargo.

Are every ship encountered in Solo Mode AI ?

Shifty76

Shit just had my first pirate encounter. Was sweeping through the galaxy then was arrested by some pirate motherfucker. I panicked, and my laser beams did just nothing to his shields. Combat was a long painful wait for destruction. Hopefully I had no cargo.

Are every ship encountered in Solo Mode AI ?
Yes, that's the point of solo mode ;)

I just assume that all data on bounties and exploration is stored on your ship. Ship goes boom so does the data. Otherwise you'd have all kinds of random people showing up and wasting the authorities time with their claims of having vanquished the dread pirate Jimi Hendrix, or having discovered "this really cool planet" out on the edges of space.

Actually...you know what'd be an awesome addition? When you go boom the black box from your ship floats around in the wreckage, just like in those USS missions. Same with some of your cargo. Whoever retrieves that black box gets the credit for whatever exploration or bounty reward data it contained.

That black box idea is damn good! I mean you'd probably be looking at less profit from the bounties since it may have to be passed through 'other hands' so that it doesn't trace back to you (semi-decent in fiction reasoning there) but that would make a lot of sense within the game. I'd throw that out there on the forums if I were you, we might be lucky enough to see it become a feature one day.

I'm completely new to this game so please excuse my ignorance on these stupid questions:

1) How do I retrieve items that are floating in space? The other day I was flying around and came across some cargo just floating there (it looked like cargo that was inside some poor soul's ship that lost a fight). Do I need to buy some sort of upgrade for my ship that allows me to grab stuff like this? Or is there a simple button press that I could have done (my ship is a completely stock beginner Sidewinder btw)

2) How do I know where to get specific goods from? For example, I came across a mission to supply a station with some coffee, but I had no idea where to go to find coffee. I was messing around with the galaxy map and looking at trade routes, but I couldn't quite figure out who actually produces coffee.

Shifty76

I'm completely new to this game so please excuse my ignorance on these stupid questions:

1) How do I retrieve items that are floating in space? The other day I was flying around and came across some cargo just floating there (it looked like cargo that was inside some poor soul's ship that lost a fight). Do I need to buy some sort of upgrade for my ship that allows me to grab stuff like this? Or is there a simple button press that I could have done (my ship is a completely stock beginner Sidewinder btw)

2) How do I know where to get specific goods from? For example, I came across a mission to supply a station with some coffee, but I had no idea where to go to find coffee. I was messing around with the galaxy map and looking at trade routes, but I couldn't quite figure out who actually produces coffee.
1. Use your cargo scoop. All ships have them. It'll bring up a small hud to the left of your radar. Line it up with that.
2. Www.elitetradingtool.co.uk is easiest, but for goods like coffee you can usually get from agriculture systems (use galaxy map to ID those)

While someone's answered this I'll add that you will notice if you look at your right display's cargo tab the stuff you pick up in space will be marked as STOLEN. If you try to dock at a station to sell them and are scanned by local authorities you'll be blown to pieces. I'd leave that stuff alone until you get a handle on how to dock in Elite without getting scanned (look for smuggling guides, for example).

Shifty76

While someone's answered this I'll add that you will notice if you look at your right display's cargo tab the stuff you pick up in space will be marked as STOLEN. If you try to dock at a station to sell them and are scanned by local authorities you'll be blown to pieces. I'd leave that stuff alone until you get a handle on how to dock in Elite without getting scanned (look for smuggling guides, for example).
Fined first. If you don't pay the fine then it'll turn into a bounty and may get you killed.

Spat_triate

I'm on the verge of ordering either a Saitek X52 for $130 or a Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino for $190. I'm leaning towards the X52 because the number one complaint I'm seeing for both is build quality and being out $130 for a broken stick is a little easier to swallow than $190. Any advice? I wanted to go with CH Products but I'm seeing software issue with Windows 8.1 and availability and price are a problem.

CH is expensive. You have to buy every piece separately: joystick, throttle and pedals. The price gouging because of the low supply doesn't help either.

However, your children will still probably be able to use them in 20 years (software constraints aside). They are that durable. The management software is also best in class and allows almost limitless customization.

X52 Pro isn't that bad, but stay away from X55 at all costs.

Personally, I used a $40 ThrustMaster/Guillermot T Flight HOTAS X and just bought the CH gear as it became available. Pedals > Joystick > Throttle.

CH is expensive. You have to buy every piece separately: joystick, throttle and pedals. The price gouging because of the low supply doesn't help either.

However, your children will still probably be able to use them in 20 years (software constraints aside). They are that durable. The management software is also best in class and allows almost limitless customization.

Personally, I used a $40 ThrustMaster/Guillermot T Flight HOTAS X and just bought the CH gear as it became available. Pedals > Joystick > Throttle.

Adding a vote for the x52 Pro. I chose it since it's easier to replace if broken (cheaper) but dodge the standard X52. The Pro has a few extra parts made fo metal instead of plastic versus the standard model and from reviews etc it appears to make a note worthy difference in durability.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
CH was my first HOTAS. I was fucking dumb enough back then to throw it all away after microsoft removed gameports. I saw years later that CH had offered an upgrade to USB with existing hardware... DOH. I loved it so much back then. I feel that if i had upgraded it to USB, it'd still work today. (we're talking mid 90's here, like Jane's Longbow 2 days).

Why stay away from the X55 at all costs? I just watched some positive reviews. The big complaint seems to be build quality but that seems like case for all Saitek sticks. Ugh. Now I don't know what to do.

Edit: Just cancelled the order. I guess it's just an awful time to buy.

Spat_triate

Why stay away from the X55 at all costs? I just watched some positive reviews. The big complaint seems to be build quality but that seems like case for all Saitek sticks. Ugh. Now I don't know what to do.

Edit: Just cancelled the order. I guess it's just an awful time to buy.

The X55 sticks have cheap plastic internal parts. Sure, it looks cool as fuck and incorporates some neat ideas(changeable friction springs), but you'll probably be looking for a new stick in a couple years. Short of a $400 Warthog. CH gear imo is tough to beat quality wise.

If you're itching to get a HOTAS setup asap this will serve you well until you're ready to make a bigger investment. It's surprisingly well made for just $50.

I guess I'll see what happens with the CH Products availability. The lack of a twist rudder is disappointing though. I really don't want to have to buy pedals.

I think I'm going to get this in the next week or so, I have a question for the folks using KB+M or a controller, which do you prefer for someone just starting? I might eventually get a HOTAS for this and Star Citizen, but just don't have the cash for one at the moment, any input would be appreciated.

Danj

This amused me yesterday evening. Was in solo play mode, doing a "hunt pirates" mission, and found this interestingly-named NPC:

np4q9Jk.jpg

I think I'm going to get this in the next week or so, I have a question for the folks using KB+M or a controller, which do you prefer for someone just starting? I might eventually get a HOTAS for this and Star Citizen, but just don't have the cash for one at the moment, any input would be appreciated.

Controller 100%. I stuggled with KB&M, and didn't want to spend forever setting up my own controller mapping, so I tried this one:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

and took to it *instantly*. I love it. Just print out the reference sheet until you memorize it.

The X55 sticks have cheap plastic internal parts. Sure, it looks cool as fuck and incorporates some neat ideas(changeable friction springs), but you'll probably be looking for a new stick in a couple years. Short of a $400 Warthog. CH gear imo is tough to beat quality wise.

If you're itching to get a HOTAS setup asap this will serve you well until you're ready to make a bigger investment. It's surprisingly well made for just $50.

And just in case that is the case (had absolutely no issues with my X55, it's fucking awesome) I just got the $25 Amazon 3 year, no questions asked, warranty. I'll be getting the X55Pro if that ever comes out.

The X55 is fine, everything has plastic parts these days. Console controllers are mainly plastic and they last years. All my old MS joysticks were mainly plastic. While metal would be superior, if you treat them well, they usually treat you well.

Only had it for 4 months though, maybe I'll change my tune in two years ... but knowing my purchasing habits I'll probably have a new HOTAS then anyway, lol.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
And just in case that is the case (had absolutely no issues with my X55, it's fucking awesome) I just got the $25 Amazon 3 year, no questions asked, warranty. I'll be getting the X55Pro if that ever comes out.

The X55 is fine, everything has plastic parts these days. Console controllers are mainly plastic and they last years. All my old MS joysticks were mainly plastic. While metal would be superior, if you treat them well, they usually treat you well.

Only had it for 4 months though, maybe I'll change my tune in two years ... but knowing my purchasing habits I'll probably have a new HOTAS then anyway, lol.

I think this is just it, there will surely be an even more awesome HOTAS in a couple of years. These things are really making a comeback. I'm not too worried about my X55.

I think this is just it, there will surely be an even more awesome HOTAS in a couple of years. These things are really making a comeback. I'm not too worried about my X55.

Agreed, but my X52 Pro will do for now. There's a specific gap in the market right now though anyway and I'm surprised nobody is trying to fill it....... So CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster, where the hell is my force feedback HOTAS?

By the way, how do I stop the game from forgetting my system data every time I log in? Because it's getting annoying having to rescan Frigaha every time I want to go bounty hunting. I didn't get taken down either, my last go on the game ended by parking at a station in Frigaha, but when I came back everything else was gone again. Now I need to jump back to Eravate to buy my scanner back to find the RES sites again.

Sarcasm

I use KBM: Here is an old video of me testing out VA. Now its boost in and stay at max. Get really close -> throttle 25% and off and in. Be careful of volume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx8zitom8M0

I am 100% KBM.

But the thing is that makes it is your keybindings.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

Agreed, but my X52 Pro will do for now. There's a specific gap in the market right now though anyway and I'm surprised nobody is trying to fill it....... So CH, Saitek and Thrustmaster, where the hell is my force feedback HOTAS?

I just think we have to give them time. Honestly, even with the VR buzz, the ED/SC buzz, I didn't see myself jumping into this territory this 'fast' or games like No Man's Sky and others starting to pick up steam for the genre in general.

I think in a year or so we'll have some more options, even CH might add some options. I'd be willing to drop $450-500 on a great setup if it had Twist-Yaw, I just don't want to use pedals or map them somewhere else, it's just a comfort thing.

Also, even with the Python nerfs I did the math and I think I'll be buying it tonight as my main trader as I work toward the Anaconda, as long as I keep the route under 25ly which most of mine are, the profit will net me more even with 60k fuel costs (not doing scoop as the time and cargo spot for it would net me a loss from the Clipper run).

Does anybody know if that discount in LHS 3447 counts for ships also? I will miss the clipper view. It's really almost causing me to hold off.

I figure I can trade in the Python and just keep my decked out Asp for combat.

BLunted

Banned
I'll tell you what I told my friend who was interested in buying the game: Don't unless you can live with the possibility of losing $60. The game's fun for a short while or in bursts, but there's very little content and Frontier is updating the game at a snail's pace. The game's got great atmosphere but beyond that don't expect much depth, at least for now.

Yeah, I got this game almost 3 weeks ago, and I think I am done. The core mechanics are great, but there is just nothing to do but grind, grind, and grind some more...but to what end? The PVP'ers, or more aptly named PVHP'ers(Players versus Helpless Players) are running the game in to the ground by griefing everyone in multiplayer.

I think it will be an amazing game a year down the road, when they worked all that stuff out.

Yeah, I got this game almost 3 weeks ago, and I think I am done. The core mechanics are great, but there is just nothing to do but grind, grind, and grind some more...but to what end? The PVP'ers, or more aptly named PVHP'ers(Players versus Helpless Players) are running the game in to the ground by griefing everyone in multiplayer.

I think it will be an amazing game a year down the road, when they worked all that stuff out.

This is my take on it too. This isn't a PVP game, from all the videos and developer interviews it was supposed to be a mainly single player game where you'd get to interact and possibly cooperate with others towards a goal. Coop MP, not Deathmatch MP with the occasional Pirate. Not people gaming the system and shooting missiles inside stations.

I hate how the forums are focused on 'nerfing' this or 'carebear' or other such shit. And the sad part is that the developers are fucking listening! I've been pretty vocal over there and some agree, some don't.

If I even thought this was just going to be another shit-hole of a game where they started changing mechanics around 1v1 gameplay, I may have avoided it.

But, we'll see. I'm still really enjoying it so the 5v5 Deathmatch Arena option on login isn't there yet. But seeing the most action from the developers in threads all about nerfs and PVP is extremely disheartening.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It will certainly get better over time, but I'm having a blast exploring now. I'm not really concerned with making credits anymore, nor am I bothering with PvP at all. In fact I'm working my way out so far that soon I won't be seeing anyone, neither Commanders nor NPC's. I purely fly around sightseeing, scanning, and taking pretty pictures. It's like Space Engine with an actual game in it to me.

I have been playing fewer hours per week though. For three weeks after launch Elite was literally the only game I played, period. Now I'm playing a bit of Hearthstone again, and I finally installed Rogue Legacy and am dabbling in that. And I'm back playing a bit of Minecraft again, like I regularly do. But I'm still flying around in Elite exploring space as well.

Elite is a game I'll be coming back to every now and then for a long, long time, just like Euro Truck Simulator 2 has been for me. Hell I played the original Elite for over ten years regularly, and this version will eventually be so much more and better than the original ever was. I have a super long term goal of getting Elite rank in combat, trading, and exploring, and I fully expect that to take me years to accomplish.

I guess I'm just in it for the long haul.

Now I wish I hadn't cancelled the order.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I don't get huge swaths of time to play. But I still find the game entertaining and play when I can. I generally don't get much more done than flying to a nav beacon, kill a bounty or two, and then family life comes for me.
I really need to get some IR stuff for my PS Eye camera, it sucks having to play with the lights on. But goddamn, head tracking is just tooooo good.

RK9039

The newsletter has some cool info:

Players have been out exploring Elite: Dangerous’ full-scale recreation of the Milky Way since launch, and together you’ve discovered 615,475 previously uncharted systems of the 400 billion in our galaxy.

Let’s put it another way: if everyone keeps going at the current rate, it will take 150,895 years to map the entire Milky Way.

giphy.gif

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Players have been out exploring Elite: Dangerous’ full-scale recreation of the Milky Way since launch, and together you’ve discovered 615,475 previously uncharted systems of the 400 billion in our galaxy.

I've explored 262 systems so far, so out of the 615,475 I've contributed about 0.042% to the cause.

I feel so insignificant now....

DrTeflon

Tuesday I was minding my own business, mining some stuff with my adder. Had some gold on my cargo but that was it.

Some guy on a Python decided to attack me and try to steal my cargo. I thought "no way i'm going down without a fight". Obviously my shitty pulse lasers could barely do anything about its ship, who had multicannons and far better lasers.

He ended up blowing up my cockpit window. "Ok, I need to get out asap, only 5 minutes of oxygen left". Charged up my FSD but due to its mass It took way too long.

Set course for the nearest station, requested docking, full power to engine in hopes to get in there alive. I did, with one second of oxygen left.

I was shaking, It has been a while since I felt this nervous while playing a game.

Danj

He ended up blowing up my cockpit window. "Ok, I need to get out asap, only 5 minutes of oxygen left". Charged up my FSD but due to its mass It took way too long.

Set course for the nearest station, requested docking, full power to engine in hopes to get in there alive. I did, with one second of oxygen left.

I had that yesterday, though my situation wasn't nearly as close (I had a minute or so left on the clock when I docked). You better believe the first thing I did afterwards was get my life support upgraded to 10 minutes of air.

Got my ED Tracker! Now just need to figure out how to use it...gonna try to install it tonight.

Remember to back up your custom binds file. Weird issue that if you have joysticks connected and start the game without one of them connected (I think this is only with EDTracker) it erases them. It happened to me as I sent my EDT back for them to install the 9150 board but I luckily had a backup file I could just put in there.

RK9039

Has anyone actually gone into that plagued system yet? it's locked behind a permit pass. There has to be aliens in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom