• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I like docking. It's the highlight of the trading routes except those times when you end up on the opposite side of the opening.

Yep, takeoff and docking are my favorite parts of the trade runs usually. Just like when I'm flying in Flight Simulator it's the takeoffs and landings that I'm really flying for (it's why I fly bush planes up in Alaska almost exclusively, short flights and lots of tricky landings). Exploring is still my favorite part of Elite though. It always feels strange when I get back into civilized space after a long journey out into deep space and I go to dock for the first time in hours or days. It's like "oh yeah, I remember how to do this...".

GeoGonzo

I'll go further and rank some of Elite's activities from least to most fun:

- Travelling to an already explored secondary star in supercruise
- Mining
- Searching for Unidentified Signal Sources at minimum speed
- Fighting off interdictions
- Pirate hunting inside a planet's ring
- Open war zones
- Boosting into and out of stations
- Docking

I like docking. It's the highlight of the trading routes except those times when you end up on the opposite side of the opening.

You might already know, but the opening 'faces' the planet. So come in hot, use the planet gravity to help you slowdown (this might just be my perception of how awesome of a pilot I think I am) and shoot for the station by going from the planet's direction, you'll see the entrance almost 99% of the time.

It also rotates where the opening is on one of the rotational axis'. So you can keep a target on something instead of the station to "see the arrows" if you need to.

You might already know, but the opening 'faces' the planet. So come in hot, use the planet gravity to help you slowdown (this might just be my perception of how awesome of a pilot I think I am) and shoot for the station by going from the planet's direction, you'll see the entrance almost 99% of the time.

It also rotates where the opening is on one of the rotational axis'. So you can keep a target on something instead of the station to "see the arrows" if you need to.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind.

- Mining
- Open war zones
- Docking

Glad to see I'm not just doing something wrong when this happens. This is the worst.

Mind blown - I stand corrected. How much is this docking computer?

Like $4500, and it plays the Blue Danube Waltz when you activate it, a la 2001: A Space Odyssey.

- Mining
- Open war zones
- Docking

I've never seen such a perfect "top X" list in my life.

Saganator

The Docking Computer is too slow for me, plus I don't trust it to not hit something, especially while carrying expensive cargo loads. I'd rather blame my own dumbass and not the AI. Also, docking is fun. I just hate when your pad is on the first row just as you enter, unless you learn which pads are at the entrance, it's pretty easy to fly right by it. It's annoying how sometimes the game decides whether or not to light up your landing pad.

Shifty76

The Docking Computer is too slow for me, plus I don't trust it to not hit something, especially while carrying expensive cargo loads. I'd rather blame my own dumbass and not the AI. Also, docking is fun. I just hate when your pad is on the first row just as you enter, unless you learn which pads are at the entrance, it's pretty easy to fly right by it. It's annoying how sometimes the game decides whether or not to light up your landing pad.
The compass is your friend when it comes to docking. I don't even look for my pad number any more - just aim via the compass.

bj00rn_

Banned

Yeah, it didn't take long after I started playing the game until I was tired of adjusting the throttle, so my laziness just instinctively told me to do what you described; Throttle up until there's a "spooling noise" from the engine, pull the throttle all the way back at rest and just slingshot around until I'm between the planet and the station and then flat out, pull out of supercruise and done. And always facing the opening as well :)

Hylian7

Okay, dumb question, and I can't really find a good explanation of this. Why is it that almost every time I jump, I get into it and then and coming out almost hitting a sun?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Okay, dumb question, and I can't really find a good explanation of this. Why is it that almost every time I jump, I get into it and then and coming out almost hitting a sun?

The nav computer uses stars as reference points. It has the gameplay ramification of making fuel scooping super easy.

Jedi2016

I theorize that they use the star's gravitational field to pull you out of hyperspace because of the insane speeds you're going compared to supercruise.

I forgot to mention something yesterday. When I bought my Type 6, my Cobra wasn't stored in that station. It ended up in a near by station. Is that normal?

Edit: Weird now it is in the station where I left it.

Hylian7

Another noob question: Where do I take prototypes floating in space if I find them? I'm a little confused on how to sell stuff I find.

Shifty76

Another noob question: Where do I take prototypes floating in space if I find them? I'm a little confused on how to sell stuff I find.

Any station with a black market (check contacts tab)
Do note that they are considered "stolen" so if you are scanned then you will be fined. Best to take them to the smaller outpost type stations as security is far less prevalent at those.

You can use silent running and speed boost to reduce the chance of detection / get in quicker, but be aware that this will shut off your shields and can often result in hilarious incidents of splatting into the side of the station.

Anything you find in an USS is basically considered to Flotsam, so still belonging to the original owner. Therefore it's considered stolen once you take possession of it.

You can only sell such items on the black market (which can be found under the 'contacts' menu at some stations).

Note that if you get scanned by a system authority ship, a station or another CMDR you will be fined for carrying illegal goods.

If you're intending to enter a station with these goods I suggest you do it very quickly to avoid being scanned or try to find a 'Port' style station with a black market as these won't scan you.

Hylian7

Any station with a black market (check contacts tab)
Do note that they are considered "stolen" so if you are scanned then you will be fined. Best to take them to the smaller outpost type stations as security is far less prevalent at those.

You can use silent running and speed boost to reduce the chance of detection / get in quicker, but be aware that this will shut off your shields and can often result in hilarious incidents of splatting into the side of the station.

Yeah, one question about silent running, why does it make my heat go up?

Yeah, one question about silent running, why does it make my heat go up?

Your ship closes its heat vents to stop it from showing up on enemy sensors. So essentially any heat your ship generates is trapped inside.

I think the lore is that hyperspace needs the stars to slow down.

AngryMoth

Had a bit of a panic attack earlier when I began trying to take out a pirate and immediately got a message that my ship was using too much power. It completely shut down and I began draining the life support oxygen. I know what happens when your oxygen gets to 0 as I ran out of fuel once, and I did not want to lose the upgraded eagle I worked so hard for and go back to the sidewinder (I assume if one of your own ships blows up you don't get it back?). Anyway after some quick investigation I realised that I had mistakenly assigned my new burst laser and kill warent scanner to the same fire group which was why my power usage was so high. I thought the number 2 meant second fire group instead of secondary weapon! Anyway reassigned the scanner and all was well.

Which reminds me, how do you use the kill warrant scanner? When I equip it there is no button prompt like with the discovery scanner and the usual primary/secondary hard point buttons do nothing.

Which reminds me, how do you use the kill warrant scanner? When I equip it there is no button prompt like with the discovery scanner and the usual primary/secondary hard point buttons do nothing.

You should be able to set it to primary or secondary fire and use those for it. I'm assuming you have the basic scanner so you'll need to be within 2km of your target to scan them.

GeoGonzo

You should be able to set it to primary or secondary fire and use those for it. I'm assuming you have the basic scanner so you'll need to be within 2km of your target to scan them.
Yup, this. Also, you need to be facing the other ship and keep them there for 10 seconds, as you hold the scanning key... and that's a pretty long time if they're shooting at you.

Eagle's are often power starved since even the best small generators have trouble keeping up with three power hungry weapons.

Hylian7

So is this a bug, or something dumb I'm doing:

1. Request permission to dock, granted, given pad #.
2. Go to pad #, try to land.
3. Land, try facing every direction, no "Docking successful".

This happened to me once tonight and I just had to cancel docking, re-request, and then landed and it worked, doing nothing different than the last time. I didn't get any kind of Loitering warning or anything.

So is this a bug, or something dumb I'm doing:

1. Request permission to dock, granted, given pad #.
2. Go to pad #, try to land.
3. Land, try facing every direction, no "Docking successful".

This happened to me once tonight and I just had to cancel docking, re-request, and then landed and it worked, doing nothing different than the last time. I didn't get any kind of Loitering warning or anything.

Yeah, a pad can bug out at times. Just cancel landing request and ask again.
That said, I haven´t had it happen to me since launch.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, you can also use Chaff to delay scans. It won't "stop it" but it causes their 'progress bar' to slowly 'unfill' for a bit then it will continue. Use it if you find yourself having an issue entering the mail slot or a random security guy shows up at a USS and you happen to have some illegal cargo so you can boost away. Although I find the fine usually isn't that bad but firing a Chaff is fun and pretty. Especially if you fire it, boost FA off turn and just watch it behind you, it's pretty cool (not recommended while docking!).

mitchman

Gold Member
I think the lore is that hyperspace needs the stars to slow down.

Hyperspace locks on to the biggest gravitational object in the system, which is the biggest star in it. Just make sure to set the speed to zero while in hyperspace so you exit at close to zero speed.

Had a bit of a panic attack earlier when I began trying to take out a pirate and immediately got a message that my ship was using too much power. It completely shut down and I began draining the life support oxygen. I know what happens when your oxygen gets to 0 as I ran out of fuel once, and I did not want to lose the upgraded eagle I worked so hard for and go back to the sidewinder (I assume if one of your own ships blows up you don't get it back?). Anyway after some quick investigation I realised that I had mistakenly assigned my new burst laser and kill warent scanner to the same fire group which was why my power usage was so high. I thought the number 2 meant second fire group instead of secondary weapon! Anyway reassigned the scanner and all was well.

First off, lower the power priority of the FSD and cargo hatch in the module setup, you never need them while weapons are deployed. That should help.

Secondly, set the KWS to primary or secondary in a new or existing fire group.

Willectro

Banned
I was flying, err supercruising around last night and got interdicted (I think) a handful of times. Steering towards the blue spot on the hud allowed me to evade. I'm assuming this was a player trying to kill me?

Didn't matter because I reached the station, bumped something while docking and was promptly destroyed.

Wreav

Banned
Was either a human (unlikely) that wanted to pirate you, a system security force that wanted to scan you (likely), or an NPC that wanted to pirate you (unlikely).

Qasiel

I can't seem to be able to run the game fullscreen, it runs in borderless window. Is there any way to fix it?

Mine kept doing that. When it does you have to go back into the settings and select "Fullscreen" even if you have done it before.

SJRB

Gold Member
How do you guys recon this game will run on a GTX 750 ti?

I haven't upgraded my pc in forever and am pretty much out of the loop in terms of components, don't want to spend too much on a GPU. This game makes me want to upgrade my ancient setup.

Hylian7

How do you guys recon this game will run on a GTX 750 ti?

I haven't upgraded my pc in forever and am pretty much out of the loop in terms of components, don't want to spend too much on a GPU. This game makes me want to upgrade my ancient setup.

In general the game performs pretty well, so to my knowledge I think you should be fine, but I can't say for sure, as I run on a GTX 770

Hylian7

I had quite an adventure last night. I took a quest to go kill a criminal, got to her, didn't realize Elite absolutely means "you literally have no chance" and jumped out with 45% left.

People attempted to interdict me twice, but I escaped both times. The experience was scary though. I did take a black box recovery mission though, and made an easy 11k on that.

Jinroh

Mine kept doing that. When it does you have to go back into the settings and select "Fullscreen" even if you have done it before.
But it doesn't work, I tried multiple time and even checked the config files. Whatever I do it runs in borderless window mode.

So it makes it impossible for me to run it with G-sync activated.

Shifty76

Tonight I buy my ASP. Just one more rare trade loop.

Keep in mind that you'll want 5m for an A5 fsd at the bare minimum on top of the purchase price. Add in 3m for other misc parts, another 500k or so for insurance, plus 1m or so for cargo and all of a sudden that 6m ship is over 15m just to get to a decent starter setup.

Not trying to discourage you, just stating the min costs involved. Last thing you want is to get it then die and have to go back to a sidewinder.

SmartBase

Well I said I was taking a break from the game to wait for more content but here I am, back into the grind. Doesn't help that I really like my current ship.

2015-01-27_00005pdu6p.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Keep in mind that you'll want 5m for an A5 fsd at the bare minimum on top of the purchase price. Add in 3m for other misc parts, another 500k or so for insurance, plus 1m or so for cargo and all of a sudden that 6m ship is over 15m just to get to a decent starter setup.

Not trying to discourage you, just stating the min costs involved. Last thing you want is to get it then die and have to go back to a sidewinder.

I'm about to get out of space trucking and get as ASP myself. I have about 15m saved (that includes the sell-off cost of my T6) for becoming an explorer. I'm thinking at about 16m I can pull the trigger. Not sure yet if I'll outfit for deep space exploration immediately or if I'll go more heavily armed around the fringes of civilized space.

This game REALLY needs some way to automatically log where you've been and what you've discovered and integrate that into the galaxy map. :(

Aww man. I figure I'll have about 9-10 million, I figured that would cover it but I guess better safe than sorry.

Shifty76

Aww man. I figure I'll have about 9-10 million, I figured that would cover it but I guess better safe than sorry.

That'll work if you're happy with a B5 FSD, but my experience has always been "dammit should have waited"

Of course it just gets more and more expensive the bigger your ship gets. A6 components for my 27m clipper are 16m ea or something ridiculous like that.

@smartbase: Mind if I ask what HUD settings you're using? I have the same dark blue (have to really in the clipper) but with red for shields etc. Allies show as green but it's really tough to identify who is shooting at me in a firefight.

SmartBase

That'll work if you're happy with a B5 FSD, but my experience has always been "dammit should have waited"

Of course it just gets more and more expensive the bigger your ship gets. A6 components for my 27m clipper are 16m ea or something ridiculous like that.

@smartbase: Mind if I ask what HUD settings you're using? I have the same dark blue (have to really in the clipper) but with red for shields etc. Allies show as green but it's really tough to identify who is shooting at me in a firefight.

I'm still experimenting with it since I also need good radar readability for bounty hunting, but it's been ok so far.

<MatrixRed>0, 0, 1</MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen>0, 1, 0</MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue>1, 0, 0</MatrixBlue>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom