• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I traveling between Ngaliba and LTT 18489 with some slave cargo, when I suddenly get pulled out of super cruise by this asshat. I've run this route a few times before in a Sidewinder, and have had moments like this. However, little did this pirate scum know, I wasn't in a Sidewinder anymore, but in a well upgraded Eagle. Not this time you bastard.

This game is so fun.

You don't put a governer on a Ferrari because the Miata can't keep up. The big argument is that there shouldn't be a "all in one ship" ... why? If this game's focus isn't PVP then that shouldn't be a problem. You see a badass ship coming your way you run. Tons of games have this mechanic, RPGs, Sim racers, etc ... there is no point in ship progression if "anything can beat anything" ... it just becomes Space COD which is what I think a lot want. Not me so I'm taking a break.

Dude, they're not making the Python useless. A Python will still have better shields and far more firepower than a Viper or Cobra.

You're overreacting.

Shifty76

Particularly since the PvE combat isn't near challenging enough to bother balancing to. When any ship you buy beyond and including the Viper is capable of killing any NPC ship any balances you make for PvP won't be worth noticing in PvE combat.
1v1 sure, but I got my ass kicked all over the place last night when I was hunting an npc python and another npc python as well as an npc anaconda joined the party on the python's side.

I still find the pirate lord anacondas plenty challenging too. Maybe I just suck at combat, but I find it plenty challenging enough.

BLunted

Banned
Well, think I'm shelving the game for a while. I absolutely hate the direction they're going with all the "PVP balance". This game seems to be focused on PVP right now. Every massive interaction the developers have is related to it.

I really thought this was going to be like a racing sim but in space. Getting bigger and badder ships, but they change those on a whim. I have a combat decked Asp and could easily upgrade my Python to combat ... but it's not worth it.

Man, I'm really burnt. Spent $100's on this game with peripherals, headtracking, etc ... and now it's just becoming some WoW Arena "balance" bullshit. They nerf the fuck out of the Python but haven't said shit about half the bugs and lack of content.

Maybe I'll feel better when I sober up tomorrow, but for now, think I'm done for a while.

/rant

Yeah, I have gone and uninstalled the game. Definitely going to keep an eye on it though, see how it pans out.

Just the way things have been going and the toxic community over on the official forums doesn't give me much hope though.

AngryMoth

My one complaint with this game so far is that is really annoying when your trying to complete a mission and you have to spend ages cruising around for USSs and the thing your looking for never appears.

kvk1

holy crap, the distance into the hutton orbital when jumping into alpha centauri from sol is insane

i'll see you guys next year when this delivery is finished

Dude, they're not making the Python useless. A Python will still have better shields and far more firepower than a Viper or Cobra.

You're overreacting.

I'm not overreacting. I'm just seeing a focus where I'd rather not see it. They're balancing for make believe ships that we have no idea when they'll come, and the balance, no matter what they 'say' is for "oh, we missed it that it's just as agile as a Viper" ... how do you miss that? How is it in the game for a MONTH and NOW you 'remember' that it should be fixed?

And it's not even that, I'm not even really worried about 'just' the Python, it's just the direction the game is going. I thought this was going to be something different, it's not. It will just turn into a PVP shoot-fest with cries of X being overpowered or Y being underpowered. I'm just done with that type of game.

As I said, I'm burnt, I've spent most of my time since launch (cleared save then) and have played since September off and on, only to see the one ship I really wanted get a nerf bat swung at it. I honestly didn't think that type of shit would be happening in this game. I didn't realize that PVP was such a huge focus that half the forum posts would be about nerfing this or changing that ... and the developers seem to be on board for that.

Get 'dat new PVP moneyz I guess. Whatever, no sub fee so that's good. I can start playing again in a week if I feel like it or today even. I just have no desire because these "great ships" are way too expensive to keep up going against Vipers and Cobras that are a fraction of the cost of running and replacing but have a somewhat equal chance at taking it out.

The worst part? I want to see PVE AI buffed so it made the Python less formidable. But instead the only, the ONLY change that this "nerf" makes will affect PVP. That's it. Vipers can take out Elite Anaconda's so saying this is for anything except PVP is kidding yourself. It's not like there aren't videos of all the lesser ships taking out the "toughest" of the PVE enemies already.

I was a huge supporter of this game, for its vision, where I 'thought' it was going. But not now. I hate where it's heading and the changes they are making.

Yeah, I have gone and uninstalled the game. Definitely going to keep an eye on it though, see how it pans out.

Just the way things have been going and the toxic community over on the official forums doesn't give me much hope though.

Yep. It's a great base, it's a great engine, it has all things going for it, except for where it probably is going ...

Jedi2016

I'm not overreacting.
Dude, you really are. Maybe you can't see it, but I would define what you're doing as "flipping your shit" about this. You have a Python, don't you? Because I can't see a non-Python owner giving two shits about this change. I can't count the number of times I've seen people go batshit crazy about tiny little changes that affect practically nothing. Get over it.

Kahoona

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2q3goa/lazy_rare_goods_circuit_by_cmdr_daggoo/

That's the one I did. Be warned if you play open that all the pirates are well aware of that circuit too so you WILL get accosted at some point.

That route looks nice, but I can't seem to reach it from where I am. That's the problem I keep running into when I look at other people's trade routes. I have something like a 36Ly range unladen, but I still can't reach anything it seems.

Jedi2016

That route looks nice, but I can't seem to reach it from where I am. That's the problem I keep running into when I look at other people's trade routes. I have something like a 36Ly range unladen, but I still can't reach anything it seems.
That's quite impossible, you know. At 36ly jump range, there's nowhere in the galaxy you can't go. Hell, at half that range, there's nowhere you can't go.

Route planner only works up to 100ly or thereabouts. If you're trying to map a route longer than that (like the rare good routes, which are all 150+), it will never work. So go halfway there and route again. It's not hard to figure out how route planner works.

Honestly, the rare goods trade isn't all it's cracked up to be, IMO. Yeah, you get a lot of money in just one go, but in the same amount of time, you could just run a normal 30ly trade route multiple times and make the same amount if not more.

RK9039

They should also nerf the prices of these big ships+repair costs if they've already gone about "balancing" ships
because it's going to take me forever to get a T7 or Clipper

Kahoona

That's quite impossible, you know. At 36ly jump range, there's nowhere in the galaxy you can't go. Hell, at half that range, there's nowhere you can't go.

Route planner only works up to 100ly or thereabouts. If you're trying to map a route longer than that (like the rare good routes, which are all 150+), it will never work. So go halfway there and route again. It's not hard to figure out how route planner works.

Honestly, the rare goods trade isn't all it's cracked up to be, IMO. Yeah, you get a lot of money in just one go, but in the same amount of time, you could just run a normal 30ly trade route multiple times and make the same amount if not more.
Ah, ok then. I thought that the blue lines on the map was just your range from your current location. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to have to buy a Type 6 to get the more out of that trading route but I've become emotionally attached to my Cobra. How is managing multiple ships? It seems like it could be a serious hassle. I guess I should just let go and use the Type 6 to work my way to an ASP.

Jedi2016

I'm going to have to buy a Type 6 to get the more out of that trading route but I've become emotionally attached to my Cobra. How is managing multiple ships? It seems like it could be a serious hassle. I guess I should just let go and use the Type 6 to work my way to an ASP.
I have both a Cobra and a Type-6, and a "runner" (stripped-down Viper with a Class A FSD). I use the Type-6 to make money, the Cobra for bounty hunting when I'm bored, and the Viper to move between them (they're about 120ly apart).

GeoGonzo

I decided to do some pirate hunting at a resource extraction site with my Clipper.

I arrived at the spot and it turned out to be exactly under the planet's shadow: As my frameshift drive cooled down I found myself surrounded by almost complete darkness, except for the outline of the planet's atmosphere, signaling where the sun would eventually come out from.

I drifted slowly among the flying rocks, and they were almost invisible... even with the ship lights on I'd mostly notice the rocks as grey shadows, hiding the distant stars or the nearby lasers from miners and pirates. I should have taken pictures.

Anyway, I managed to hunt pirates for a while and tried some new weapons: Gimballed size 3 pulse lasers: Very nice! I'll have to find some burst lasers to compare them with, but I was able to shoot them for a LONG time and they eat through shields nicely. Also new: Gimballed size 2 cannons, and the first time using them. Hah! Feels like playing Sturmovik 1942 again, I love the smoke trails and how powerful the feel. Using both weapons at the same time I could blow up a Cobra in 5 seconds flat, and ammo wasn't expensive either.

I managed to bring down two Anacondas, but since I still have no shield cell bank I found myself fleeing from time to time to recharge my shields... Hull repairs are expensive on the Clipper! One of those times I ran for quite a while and as I turned back again I found myself over 40 km away. I set course, pushed the throttle all the way and flew back... and damn, the Clipper is pretty fast. Shadows were zipping past me left and right... and then a rock flew past right above my cockpit up, and I actually had a second to think "Well, this is dumb, would I really have time to stop if a rock-"

-and there it was! As my headlights iluminated it I only managed to pitch away slightly (which didn't help) and pass two pips of energy from engines to systems.

*BO-KRUNK!!*

*Shields offline* *Hull at 35%*

I think the pips may have saved me. I almost lost the ship and all the bounties! In fact, I had earned only just enough to pay for the repairs... but it had been fun! I can't wait to do it again some time, but first I need to buy a few more upgrades!

Dude, you really are. Maybe you can't see it, but I would define what you're doing as "flipping your shit" about this. You have a Python, don't you? Because I can't see a non-Python owner giving two shits about this change. I can't count the number of times I've seen people go batshit crazy about tiny little changes that affect practically nothing. Get over it.

Well, I guess we have different definitions of "flipping your shit". I just see the devs doing stuff to the game that I don't like. I see it for reasons I don't like. It's just simply not liking where it may be headed so I'm just taking a break from it.

And yes, I have a Python, with a lot upgraded. Bought it after the nerf was announced (in fact the nerf was indirectly announced during a discussion I was having with the dev on the main forums). This really has nothing to do with the Python directly and more just what I read from devs about what the game was "supposed to be" and what direction they may be taking it.

It's a discussion dude, you don't have to invalidate another opinion by labeling it "batshit crazy" just because you personally don't give a fuck about it. If this in fact turns out to be "nothing" and I see more PVE content added or increased, I'll happily start playing again. Not even saying I'm stopping for good anyway. I think I've been fairly helpful in this thread to newcomers and have been around since September playing the game, so you don't have to be a douche about it.

Shifty76

Wow, found a nice little Seeking Luxuries route.

Entire run from buying the performance enhancers to delivering them and then docking again takes me right around 3 minutes.
240t cargo space in my clipper at 1190 profit per ton works out to 285,600 cr per run, or around 5.7m per hour.

I should probably find a run where I can buy the performance enhancers cheaper, but I think I'll exhaust the supply in this system first.

@ Geogonzo: Find some gimballed burst lasers for the med hardpoints and gimballed MC's for the medium. I had large gimballed pulse, but the burst are so much better!

Uploading a quick vid showing the run. Was pretty sloppy that run which slowed me down some. Give it 30 mins or so to upload though as my upload speed blows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUp51YHDck

Hylian7

I just started playing this and I'm 100% sure I just made a noob mistake.

I was docking in a station, requested permission, granted, and proceeded to dock. There was a ship in front of me, I scanned it and it said he was deadly, but I decided it was best to just let sleeping dragons lie.

Then I tried to dock, and I was carefully manuevering myself onto the pad. I thought I had it right, then I suddenly get "Loitering violation" and then "blocking launch pad violation" and then the whole station starts shooting at me and kills me. What the fuck just happened.

I love this game so far.

Nymerio

You went to the wrong landing pad. You can only dock at the assigned pad, if you don't see it you can locate it with the little compass thing.

Hylian7

You went to the wrong landing pad. You can only dock at the assigned pad, if you don't see it you can locate it with the little compass thing.

But it was lit up and there were multiple landing pads. I thought it being lit up meant "You can land here." Good to know. I will look at the compass thing then.

Also, I have no idea how people play this without something like TrackIR. It is a godsend for this game.

Nymerio

There are always multiple pads lit up, you have to look for the number that was assigned to you. The number should be somewhere around the radar, it says something like 'proceed to landing pad 34'.

GeoGonzo

@ Geogonzo: Find some gimballed burst lasers for the med hardpoints and gimballed MC's for the medium. I had large gimballed pulse, but the burst are so much better!
Wait, so large burst lasers and medium multicannon or large multicannon and medium burst lasers? I guess either would work, depending on how power hungry burst lasers are.

There are always multiple pads lit up, you have to look for the number that was assigned to you. The number should be somewhere around the radar, it says something like 'proceed to landing pad 34'.
Yup, and I'd also say: for a while we've had a bug and your landing pad may actually -not- light up. Should be fixed with the next patch. Oh, and remember that the hologram of your ship needs to be facing away from you as it lands, if it doesn't you'll need to turn your ship around.

Wait, so large burst lasers and medium multicannon or large multicannon and medium burst lasers? I guess either would work, depending on how power hungry burst lasers are.

Yup, and I'd also say: for a while we've had a bug and your landing pad may actually -not- light up. Should be fixed with the next patch. Oh, and remember that the hologram of your ship needs to be facing away from you as it lands, if it doesn't you'll need to turn your ship around.

I've had this in the latest version too. was a nightmare as I was trying to dock in one of the huge stations, managed to find it though with seconds to spare phew!

Shifty76

Oops, large burst. MC only comes in small & med.

bsod

Banned

Not always. It's sometimes buggy and only reveals your assigned pad or no pad at all.

Not always. It's sometimes buggy and only reveals your assigned pad or no pad at all.

It happens but it's uncommon. If no pad is lit up just do a 360 with your ship and it should pop up. What's fun is when you're trying to land a Type-6 on a pad and the docking UI doesn't come up. Feeling your way into the center of the dock is...different.

Putosaure

I'm on the fence, as a complete noob who is always playing in Solo Mode, do I miss something in Open Play or will I be chased and killed by everybody ? I kinda want to play in Open Mode but I'm too scared :D

bsod

Banned
I'm on the fence, as a complete noob who is always playing in Solo Mode, do I miss something in Open Play or will I be chased and killed by everybody ? I kinda want to play in Open Mode but I'm too scared :D

At this point open play is pretty superfluous. At least to me, anyway. I haven't found open play to really change anything beyond not being able dock at stations because people would AFK on their landing pads. I normally choose solo.

Cimarron

I finally bought a ship this weekend during the sale. Picked up a hauler. I am unsure on what to upgrade on this thing. Is their a site that has reccomended builds/templates for the various ships? Or at least an upgrade path?

Also since I will be using my hauler now for cash I want to get into combat seriously now. Starting off should I pimp my sidewinder? Or just buy an eagle and upgrade that?

Shifty76

I finally bought a ship this weekend during the sale. Picked up a hauler. I am unsure on what to upgrade on this thing. Is their a site that has reccomended builds/templates for the various ships? Or at least an upgrade path?

Also since I will be using my hauler now for cash I want to get into combat seriously now. Starting off should I pimp my sidewinder? Or just buy an eagle and upgrade that?
For the hauler strip everything, run class D components except for A grade FSD. Max out your cargo space and jump distance. Eagle over sidey, though viper is a better option.

Willectro

Banned
I just started playing this and I'm 100% sure I just made a noob mistake.

I was docking in a station, requested permission, granted, and proceeded to dock. There was a ship in front of me, I scanned it and it said he was deadly, but I decided it was best to just let sleeping dragons lie.

Then I tried to dock, and I was carefully manuevering myself onto the pad. I thought I had it right, then I suddenly get "Loitering violation" and then "blocking launch pad violation" and then the whole station starts shooting at me and kills me. What the fuck just happened.

I love this game so far.

Yes, as if the docking wasn't a headache, the loitering is annoying/petty. But the rest of the game makes up for it.

But it was lit up and there were multiple landing pads. I thought it being lit up meant "You can land here." Good to know. I will look at the compass thing then.

Also, I have no idea how people play this without something like TrackIR. It is a godsend for this game.

They'll assign you a dock when you request docking. You have to locate that particular dock to land on in order to not get a loiter violation.

They should just fine you for loitering, blowing you up is a bit harsh.

I feel like that would be fair. The Elite universe is pretty harsh. Death penalty is the punishment for ANY crime.

I love the station announcements, "Loitering is an offense punishable by death". Like...God damn station.

Can't wait for space station interiors to come out to see what other minor offenses are punishable by death.

Littering?
Running in the hallways?
Recording NFL telecasts without their express written consent?

Willectro

Banned
Then you'd have griefers blocking you from landing. Really, what's so difficult about finding the right landing pad, or you know, MOVING AWAY when you get a loitering warning?

I can't help but think there would be some type of autopilot or automation in the future to deal with this exact issue. I never thought I would miss something from Eve.

bsod

Banned
I can't help but think there would be some type of autopilot or automation in the future to deal with this exact issue. I never thought I would miss something from Eve.

There's a docking computer you can get that does just this with sometimes hilarious results.

Cimarron

I have never had any problems with the docking computer. The one time I did was when I activated it inside the station. Other than that It works great! A little slow but at least that gives me time to prep what I need to do in the starport so i can get in out out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom