• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

What's up guys, just purchased this game.

Quick question: I'm playing with a gamepad and I'm finding the sensitivity in head look mode to be painfully slow, but I can't find a way to change it in the options. Is there anything I can do about it?

Controller 100%. I stuggled with KB&M, and didn't want to spend forever setting up my own controller mapping, so I tried this one:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

and took to it *instantly*. I love it. Just print out the reference sheet until you memorize it.

I use KBM: Here is an old video of me testing out VA. Now its boost in and stay at max. Get really close -> throttle 25% and off and in. Be careful of volume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx8zitom8M0

I am 100% KBM.

But the thing is that makes it is your keybindings.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

Interesting, thanks for the info duders, I think I'll try both of those out in singleplayer and see which one I prefer.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
All right, we've got something interesting in the works for the Alliance thanks to the patch.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...gs_are_heating_up_around_alioth_with_the_106/

Targeting the 78 Ursae Majoris system. Things are moving quickly there with the Alliance faction up from 1.5% to 23%, and the dominant Federation faction down to 62%. We should see Alliance vs Federation civil war there shortly. It's a fairly big system so it should be a good one.

The subreddit for Alliance players is reddit.com/r/elitealliance

No, not really. File that complaint under user error.

Really? User error?

Feel free to explain what "user error" I was doing, then to make the UI Mode glitch out, or the tutorial start with the wrong settings when "restarting" as opposed to entering it fresh from the menu.

Thinking about increasing reputation with the Alliance, any tips? I'm around Lave and I've done a few rewards missions so far, but I've never bothered with faction reputation so I'm not even sure if Alliance is a good choice. Any good guides on progression in the various factions out there?

kvk1

I'm a bit confused on system permits, if anyone could help me out.

I'm currently at the rank of "Cadet" with the Federation.

However I have the Sol Permit under "System Permits" tab of the right panel, and just made the journey to Abraham Lincoln station with no altercations.

My understanding was that you had to be a Midshipman before the permit was given to you, according to this page:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Federation

I know I'm missing something here, I just don't know what.

Cheers.

Shifty76

Does collecting bounties for a faction raise your reputation for that faction?
Yep. Slowly though. I spent an hour bounty hunting in a new system and when I cashed in the bounties I noticed all the system security ships showed up as friendly.

As an aside, a Clipper with 2 x gimballed large burst lasers & 2 x gimballed med multicannons is an absoliute beast. I've never had an easier time with anacondas & pythons, and smaller ships die in just a couple of seconds. With 176t cargo space it makes a fantastic pirate vessel too. Now excuse me while I go hang out at the nearest anarchy system nav point...

Yep. Slowly though. I spent an hour bounty hunting in a new system and when I cashed in the bounties I noticed all the system security ships showed up as friendly.

Thanks. I think I should be working on reputation now and make a goal for myself to get to Sol.

I ended up picking up the X55 after all. Getting used to it isn't as bad as I thought but my aim isn't as precise with it compared to using a controller yet. Docking, Launching and maneuvering haven't been a problem.

I bought this game last week after I watched the Giant Bomb quick look. Played the game a bunch today and I'm enjoying it. Is it worth it to buy upgrades for the Sidewinder? I've got around 40k credits now and I can almost afford the Eagle. From what I've read, that one's not so great, so I might keep the money for now.

I bought this game last week after I watched the Giant Bomb quick look. Played the game a bunch today and I'm enjoying it. Is it worth it to buy upgrades for the Sidewinder? I've got around 40k credits now and I can almost afford the Eagle. From what I've read, that one's not so great, so I might keep the money for now.

Just get the Eagle. You can sell it back for 90% return when you're done with it but its actually a good ship because of it's turn rate at speed. Plus with a third hard point you could equip two multi-cannons and a beam laser to speed out bounty hunting etc. Then you get your money back on those weapons too.

I bought one waiting for my Cobra but I kept it in storage I liked it so much.

Just get the Eagle. You can sell it back for 90% return when you're done with it but its actually a good ship because of it's turn rate at speed. Plus with a third hard point you could equip two multi-cannons and a beam laser to speed out bounty hunting etc. Then you get your money back on those weapons too.

I bought one waiting for my Cobra but I kept it in storage I liked it so much.

Cool, okay. By the way, I was in a system earlier where I was able to see a bunch of different places on the system map, but I wasn't able to see any of them in the navigation panel, so I couldn't travel to them. (also, next to the star in the system it said 'unexplored'). How can I fix that?

Shifty76

Cool, okay. By the way, I was in a system earlier where I was able to see a bunch of different places on the system map, but I wasn't able to see any of them in the navigation panel, so I couldn't travel to them. (also, next to the star in the system it said 'unexplored'). How can I fix that?
Target it then point at it. You'll see a msg saying "scanning" Once its scanned you can fly somewhere 20+ ly away and sell that scan data via the universal cartographics system.

I think I pissed off the local pirate faction. Was chasing down my 3rd wanted python of the session when I noticed two other ships were attacking me too. Didn't pay them too much mind as I figured the python was the most dangerous target. Next thing I know my shields are gone and I'm taking hull damage at an alarming rate. I finish off the python and target the two ships attacking me. Another python and an anaconda. Ok, hell with that. I turn around and flee and make it out with 20% hull remaining and a cracked canopy. 500k repair bill, but still cheaper than the 1.2m my insurance would have been, plus I retained my 1m worth of bounty vouchers. Time to head off to Fed and Alliance space to cash them in I think.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you entered a system you have no data on? You can map out other celestial bodies and stuff by scanning them with the scanner (needs to be assigned to fire group but all ships seem to come with one) However they will all still come up as unexplored. To get the names to register you need to fly close enough to the Star/Planet etc whilst targeting it and facing it, shortly enough the panel in the corner of your ship will fill out with the details when you're in range. You can fly to these places without locking on in the nav panel, just enter supercruise and fly at them. Just remember to target them too if you want to get the names registered.

Oppo

I bought this today and am having a really hard time downloading it. I don't get what's happening with the launcher. it was sort of going in fits and starts, I cancelled it and added it to network firewall white list, now it seems totally stalled. not a great start.

edit - dug around in archaic win7 panel and I think I managed to goose it. LAN Auto Detect=off

So my ASP is ready for my first exploration.

I think I'm going to visit Betelgeuse first.

Nice! This is the ship I want! I'm still only working my way up to a Type 6 though, bout half a million away still. I'm half tempted to trade in my Cobra for it but I've not dabbled in trading yet to see whether it's worth handing over my best money maker for a trader vessel. But I'm banking on trading being a better way to make money cause otherwise I don't think I'll ever reach the asking price for that Asp. What would others here do? Ditch the Cobra and move on to trading or keep them both? I have an Eagle in storage as well but I don't think that would do much more than chip in to the insurance.

Faith

Sell everything, get the Type 6, 2mio CR instead of 3mio CR if you take the 4B FSD.

Keep 200.000CR always stored (for insurance) and use the 104T for trading. With this tool you will find a 10min trade route with at least 2500CR/ton/run. You are looking at 1.5mio CR/hour.

10 hours of monotonous gameplay later you can buy the ASP :)

Sell everything, get the Type 6, 2mio CR instead of 3mio CR if you take the 4B FSD.

Keep 200.000CR always stored (for insurance) and use the 104T for trading. With this tool you will find a 10min trade route with at least 2500CR/ton/run. You are looking at 1.5mio CR/hour.

10 hours of monotonous gameplay later you can buy the ASP :)

Thanks man! I guess I'm gonna be upgrading pretty soon then! That's a ton more profitable than my bounty hunting so I could probably buy another Cobra as backup after an hour. Think I'm gonna go hunting round some stations to find the best price on a Type 6 now.

Faith

Thanks man! I guess I'm gonna be upgrading pretty soon then! That's a ton more profitable than my bounty hunting so I could probably buy another Cobra as backup after an hour. Think I'm gonna go hunting round some stations to find the best price on a Type 6 now.
Just make sure to sell your upgrades before selling the ship. You are losing 10% of the value when selling the ship. This doesn't happen when you sell the upgrades, so you won't loose much when switching to the Type 6.

I would stick with bounty hunting till you have 3.5mio (incl. ship value). 2mio for the Type 6 with B-FSD, 200k for insurance and the rest for trading. 104T can be really expensive (<1.6mio CR).

Just make sure to sell your upgrades before selling the ship. You are losing 10% of the value when selling the ship. This doesn't happen when you sell the upgrades, so you won't loose much when switching to the Type 6.

I would stick with bounty hunting till you have 3.5mio (incl. ship value). 2mio for the Type 6 with B-FSD, 200k for insurance and the rest for trading. 104T can be really expensive (<1.6mio CR).

Ok, will keep earning cash then. I was on a good run just now taking down Anaconda's and making money like crazy but I think I found a bug. For some reason after about 5 minutes of play my controls die on my gamepad and so do the M+K ones. Never had this issue with my HOTAS and I haven't had trouble with it before until today, but now it's a constant issue. Anyone else had this?

bj00rn_

Banned
I was trying some trading tonight. Bought a Type 6, found a good route between two systems with about 20% profit on gold. But already the second round I did the profit was already starting to decline quite a bit. Is this normal? Will the price settle, and perhaps go up again?

Jedi2016

Bounty hunting at extraction sites isn't nearly as profitable as trading, but it's a lot more fun. If only those damn feds would learn not to fly in front of me when I'm firing, all would be well.

And then on the way to turn it it all in, I get interdicted. Turns out to be a Clipper (I'm in a Cobra), so I'm slightly outmatched (probably could have taken him, though, I've killed Dropships before). And then the fucker rams me. Shields gone, hull to 7% in one instant... and I haven't turned in the nearly quarter-million worth of bounties I have. Managed to boost away, though. *whew*

bj00rn, check to see how high the demand is for the gold. They may only need a couple hundred of them. If demand gets low, the price will drop. Happens when a lot of players are running the same route, I imagine, they meed whatever demand there is pretty quickly.

Kahoona

I'm kinda at a loss for how people get so much money in the game. Is it just accumulated over time or is there something that's more lucrative than other methods? Right now I'm just killing pirates at resource gathering sites, but they only give like 10k a kill. The occasional Anaconda will give 70k, but I've only seen two of those.

Shifty76

I'm kinda at a loss for how people get so much money in the game. Is it just accumulated over time or is there something that's more lucrative than other methods? Right now I'm just killing pirates at resource gathering sites, but they only give like 10k a kill. The occasional Anaconda will give 70k, but I've only seen two of those.
Trading mostly. Rare goods routes will get you 1m/hr or so while working up to the 100+ cargo ships. Once you get those you can earn anywhere from 2-5m an hour easy. Boring as heck, but the reward is fantastic.

onken

The newsletter has some cool info:

http://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarpaa2uPFQyn0T6/giphy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Just makes the decision to not have any stations on any system outside the initial pocket that more baffling. You basically can't get to 99.9% of systems right now and even if you could they'd be nothing to do there.

[quote="Shifty76, post: 149006534"]Trading mostly. Rare goods routes will get you 1m/hr or so while working up to the 100+ cargo ships. Once you get those you can earn anywhere from 2-5m an hour easy. Boring as heck, but the reward is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Or like my 2 buddies from work who used the client-cloning exploit to get hundreds of millions each. They both just fly around in fully-loaded type-9s now trolling the shit out of everybody.

Thank god for solo play.

Kahoona

Trading mostly. Rare goods routes will get you 1m/hr or so while working up to the 100+ cargo ships. Once you get those you can earn anywhere from 2-5m an hour easy. Boring as heck, but the reward is fantastic.

Do you have any routes that would be a good starting point for a noob? Or is there a website maybe that shoes some decent routes?

Faith

Several hours later, I'm exhausted.

I'm 1240LY away from Sol, right in front of the Orion Nebula. Visited 2 other Nebulas, Betelgeuse & the black hole in Mintaka on the way.

Got too close to the black hole and my hull was slightly damaged (-2%). I found it frightening. The distortion effect is spectacular in the rift.

Well, think I'm shelving the game for a while. I absolutely hate the direction they're going with all the "PVP balance". This game seems to be focused on PVP right now. Every massive interaction the developers have is related to it.

I really thought this was going to be like a racing sim but in space. Getting bigger and badder ships, but they change those on a whim. I have a combat decked Asp and could easily upgrade my Python to combat ... but it's not worth it.

Man, I'm really burnt. Spent $100's on this game with peripherals, headtracking, etc ... and now it's just becoming some WoW Arena "balance" bullshit. They nerf the fuck out of the Python but haven't said shit about half the bugs and lack of content.

Maybe I'll feel better when I sober up tomorrow, but for now, think I'm done for a while.

/rant

Is there a good guide for trading with a brand new character and working your way towards the "elite" trading route? Haven't had time to play at all since I fucked up badly last week but I have tonight at the least.

GeoGonzo

Well, think I'm shelving the game for a while. I absolutely hate the direction they're going with all the "PVP balance". This game seems to be focused on PVP right now. Every massive interaction the developers have is related to it

Oh God, please don't bring that here. I've seen this terrible assumption in countless MMOs and in Elite it has to be the most ridiculous it has ever been.

- Do devs only work on PvP balance? No! The changes are decided by one or two people and almost certainly consist on a single change in a line of code. Everyone else at Frontier didn't stop working just because one of them is adressing pvp balance in the forum.

- Do devs only TALK about pvp balance? Eesh, even this is pushing it because forums are usually were devs interact with the community. Frontier's announcements are almost never about PvP, and the forum has only seen a recent peak on dev posts on PvP balance because people asked about them.

More importantly, does it matter? Fuck no. This isn't like "they nerfed rogues, I'm jumping out of a bridge now, my 200h character is worthless". If after the nerf you don't like your ship, sell it back for 90-98% back its original cost and buy something else. Boom! Problem gone.

I get how someone may be burned from Elite, bored with trading, bummed with pirates... but this is a non-issue if I've ever seen one.

Is there a good guide for trading with a brand new character and working your way towards the "elite" trading route? Haven't had time to play at all since I fucked up badly last week but I have tonight at the least.
The guide about trading rares linked by shifty76 works nicely for new players. Just get a Hauler ASAP to start making a lot more money.

Hylian7

I played this twice today at PAX South, the first time on a monitor, and the second on Oculus Rift.

Not only am I sold on this game, I am sold on the Rift too! Holy shit it was incredible!

I have a TrackIR, so after I get home from PAX tomorrow, I plan on buying this. I don't have a flight stick, but from my research, a 360 controller with TrackIR should suffice.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2q3goa/lazy_rare_goods_circuit_by_cmdr_daggoo/

That's the one I did. Be warned if you play open that all the pirates are well aware of that circuit too so you WILL get accosted at some point.

I guess I should give this a try but it is so far from where I am that I can't plot a course. I'm not sure if that's because there are jumps larger than my range along the way or because I have to get closer before it can plot the course.

Nymerio

I got around to set up my projector and 5.1 set again. Holy shit, the sound of the discovery scanner so amazing. The whole couch vibrates while it's charging and then there's this kind of quick wave that goes through right after it finishes scanning O_O

Oh God, please don't bring that here. I've seen this terrible assumption in countless MMOs and in Elite it has to be the most ridiculous it has ever been.

- Do devs only work on PvP balance? No! The changes are decided by one or two people and almost certainly consist on a single change in a line of code. Everyone else at Frontier didn't stop working just because one of them is adressing pvp balance in the forum.

- Do devs only TALK about pvp balance? Eesh, even this is pushing it because forums are usually were devs interact with the community. Frontier's announcements are almost never about PvP, and the forum has only seen a recent peak on dev posts on PvP balance because people asked about them.

More importantly, does it matter? Fuck no. This isn't like "they nerfed rogues, I'm jumping out of a bridge now, my 200h character is worthless". If after the nerf you don't like your ship, sell it back for 90-98% back its original cost and buy something else. Boom! Problem gone.

I get how someone may be burned from Elite, bored with trading, bummed with pirates... but this is a non-issue if I've ever seen one.

The guide about trading rares linked by shifty76 works nicely for new players. Just get a Hauler ASAP to start making a lot more money.

Everybody has their own opinion. I'll bring it here of I want. Sell it back? Lose millions? This isn't supposed to be a PvP based game. Every ship doesn't have to be capable. Either way enjoy it. I'm done for now. I see the the same tired arguments I saw on every other mmo forum.

Walshicus

Everybody has their own opinion. I'll bring it here of I want. Sell it back? Lose millions? This isn't supposed to be a PvP based game. Every ship doesn't have to be capable. Either way enjoy it. I'm done for now. I see the the same tired arguments I saw on every other mmo forum.

I don't PvP at all... But what's so bad about balancing for it? Get PvP right and the rest just flows.

Is this game worth buying a joystick ?

Will you be playing it or other stick enabled games a lot? If so, hell yeah. A stick really changes the entire feel if you're into that sort of thing since you feel a lot more like your piloting the ship. Hell I'm now debating buying a Buttkicker to take it to the next level, or at least making my own since they're twice the price in the UK.

Shifty76

I guess I should give this a try but it is so far from where I am that I can't plot a course. I'm not sure if that's because there are jumps larger than my range along the way or because I have to get closer before it can plot the course.

The course plotter currently works for up to 100 ly trips. Just pick something that's 90 ly or so in the right general direction and plot a course for that. Rinse & repeat until you can target one of the systems listed. I was ~400 ly away when I decided to give that run a go.

The course plotter currently works for up to 100 ly trips. Just pick something that's 90 ly or so in the right general direction and plot a course for that. Rinse & repeat until you can target one of the systems listed. I was ~400 ly away when I decided to give that run a go.

Thanks. I'm heading that way now. It was 159 ly away.

Jedi2016

You also have to wait for it to populate, especially when you're going further out. It starts at your current location and spreads in every direction from there, so by the time you get 60-70ly away, it can sometimes take the route planner a minute or so to actually spread that far.

I bought a "runner" last night, a Viper. Stripped out everything and put in a Class A FSD. I use it for getting around in between my other "main" ships, so I left my Type-6 where I'm trading and took this back to Sol where I left my Cobra. At one point I boosted out of a station (at 420+ m/s), and I wasn't quite lined up perfectly, I thought I might miss the exit. Only then did I remember, in horror, that this ship has no shields. At that speed I would have been a bug on a windshield, but I managed to make it through. Rebuy cost really isn't that high on this one, but still.. it was scary for a second.

I don't PvP at all... But what's so bad about balancing for it? Get PvP right and the rest just flows.

Particularly since the PvE combat isn't near challenging enough to bother balancing to. When any ship you buy beyond and including the Viper is capable of killing any NPC ship any balances you make for PvP won't be worth noticing in PvE combat.

Nymerio

Huh, didn't know that NPC ships try to get away by using silent running. Was fighting some guy than he says something like 'I don't smuggle for a living to be killed by the likes of you' and he just vanished. He wasn't charging his FSD so I just kept going in the same direction and boosted a bit and suddenly he popped back up. Nice try smuggle boy.

Because the game needs AI "balance". They need to increase the difficulty in non-artificial ways. Taking a boss and making him one-hit you doesn't make him "tough". They basically are just removing the point of paying for an expensive ship.

If this was truly balanced around PVE the ships would be the 'weapon' so you'd need a better ship or a group of smaller ships to 'take out' whatever.

I see no problem with needing a certain ship to do something. I need to have a trade ship to trade, I need to have a fighter to fight, and their are different levels. I can't expect 4m an hour in a hauler, just as well I shouldn't expect to kill "every single thing in the game" with one of the starter fighters. But that's where most disagreement comes.

People want to "nerf ships" because it's easier than pointing out the huge faults in the game itself which is the incredibly weak AI.

There is no point in going for these super expensive ships unless you trade. Any 'bigger' ship going into a PVP zone will be targeted as shown in many, many videos.

I don't know, I'm just bummed out that something I traded a shit load for is now being changed. I didn't think it was that type of game, I wasn't expecting it. I expected 'changes' but 'nerf' wasn't a term I was hoping would be expected here. It's just a completely different 'end game' than I thought it would be. I thought PVP was an afterthought but it seems to be the focus.

Why would you 'balance' ships before all of them are even in the game? I mean, if they didn't want it to be as maneuverable as the smaller ships did they not see that it was? I find it extremely difficult to accept the "oh, we didn't plan on it being as agile as a fighter" excuse when they ASSIGNED these numbers to it. That's not a 'oops, missed it in balancing' ... that's something they intentionally assigned, and then changed later "just cuz" and had nothing to do with the bitching? Maybe so, but I just find it highly unbelievable.

But, my opinion is different than most so I won't stink up this thread with complaining. I'm just not going to play for a while and see where it goes. I'm just really disappointed that they are "balancing" ships before the whole lot of them is out. This basically means that every ship released will cause a "rebalance" of ships because they obviously don't know how they will interact.

And the fact that this game is highly single player focused (or was) and they are balancing the ships that fight each other PVP-wise instead of improving the AI to counteract these issues is shitty.

You don't put a governer on a Ferrari because the Miata can't keep up. The big argument is that there shouldn't be a "all in one ship" ... why? If this game's focus isn't PVP then that shouldn't be a problem. You see a badass ship coming your way you run. Tons of games have this mechanic, RPGs, Sim racers, etc ... there is no point in ship progression if "anything can beat anything" ... it just becomes Space COD which is what I think a lot want. Not me so I'm taking a break.

I can agree that the PvE balancing needs some real work, but it's always going to be secondary to PvP in terms of difficulty of balance.

My big thing is that they need to make the more expensive ships worth getting for PvE. A Python in PvE combat will make exactly as much money hunting as a Viper so there's zero point in having one (for that, at least).

I got to play this game for the first time on Oculus yesterday. Trying the oculus on for the first time with elite was absolutely stunning, the game looks just as immersive on monitor too, I think I'll pick it up in a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom