• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone having trouble finding trade routes or items (slaves for example) this is a great tool.

Thanks, I'm looking at it now. You can't filter by specific goods, right (as in just find slaves etc.)?

I've brought so many illegal stuff through missions in Akiyama Market in Brani, I'm starting to feel guilty. Just get far enough to not get scanned too early, line up with the entrance and fly full speed inside. Don't even see me comin'. :) I'm at 77k credits right now, I don't know if I should get the Hauler (I've barely touched trading and am certainly intimidated by it, always have been in these games).

Btw, you can't select/target a planet/station from the System Map, as in you can only do it via the list on the left side of the UI? Or do I need better scanners or something? Also, I'm wondering how I can discover both stars in, say, a binary system? I always arrive at the same star and I don't see any way of targeting the other one.

EDIT:

Also, weird thing, people can't search my commander name to add me as a friend, but I can find others, add them and they can accept. Btw, I'm CMDR SID 6581.

vehn

can you buy this game as a gift? I already have it and am iffy on what it will do when I'm logged in their site and add it to cart again

So I'm wondering, do people playing in solo mode affect the economy and system status? I know it does vice versa, I've even run into some cmdrs in solo mode which I thought was awesome. I killed leto atreides the other night...

Cmdr Steve Brule here BTW...

Every player effects the game regardless of mode, which is one of the big reasons why they decided to scrap the offline mode.
giphy.gif

Smash88

Banned
Ah gotcha, is 70 the standard cost of a AAA game in Canada?

QdNmV6E.png

Yup. It got bad when the CDN dollar went downhill. Console games have always been around the $70 mark for years now though. That's why I always try to look for deals, and Steam is great for that, I usually stock up on games during the big sales and play them throughout the year until the next one, it's a godsend for some of us.

JambiBum

Thanks, I'm looking at it now. You can't filter by specific goods, right (as in just find slaves etc.)?

I've brought so many illegal stuff through missions in Akiyama Market in Brani, I'm starting to feel guilty. Just get far enough to not get scanned too early, line up with the entrance and fly full speed inside. Don't even see me comin'. :) I'm at 77k credits right now, I don't know if I should get the Hauler (I've barely touched trading and am certainly intimidated by it, always have been in these games).

Btw, you can't select/target a planet/station from the System Map, as in you can only do it via the list on the left side of the UI? Or do I need better scanners or something? Also, I'm wondering how I can discover both stars in, say, a binary system? I always arrive at the same star and I don't see any way of targeting the other one.

EDIT:

Also, weird thing, people can't search my commander name to add me as a friend, but I can find others, add them and they can accept. Btw, I'm CMDR SID 6581.

You can search by specific good, that's the best part of that tool. Go to search, and make sure that you have the commodity box checked off. It will then give you a drop down box where you can select which item you want. Then select buying or selling and enter the current system you are in and the distance in which you want to travel. Hit search and it will give you a list of stations and their distance from you.

QdNmV6E.png

Yup. It got bad when the CDN dollar went downhill. Console games have always been around the $70 mark for years now though. That's why I always try to look for deals, and Steam is great for that, I usually stock up on games during the big sales and play them throughout the year until the next one, it's a godsend for some of us.

Alright I can understand your reservations then. I don't think ED even if it had been on steam would of been on sale for quite some time though. It may go to steam if the sales falter later, but I think they are seeing how well they can do independently for now. Steam takes that hefty 30% cut.

Then again I dropped 150 on this game for the premium beta XD.

Brick

I didn't know anything about this game until this morning. I just bought both this game and the first joystick I will own since 1999.

I don't know what came over me, but I am excited to jump in.

Smash88

Banned
Alright I can understand your reservations then. I don't think ED even if it had been on steam would of been on sale for quite some time though. It may go to steam if the sales falter later, but I think they are seeing how well they can do independently for now. Steam takes that hefty 30% cut.

Then again I dropped 150 on this game for the premium beta XD.

Yeah I can see why they don't want to bring it in, get all sales as a solid profit with no loss. Maybe in the future, as you said, when sales dwindle they will bring it on Steam for a nice boost in profit.

Holy shit $150 is insane, I assume you are a die hard fan of the old games?

JambiBum

Voice attack is the best. Set it up so that I can just say request docking and it will go into the menus for me and do everything that I need it to do without me hitting a button. Also have it set up so that when I'm in a starport I can just say launch and it will launch from the pad and retract the landing gear for me since I always forget about it.

I didn't know anything about this game until this morning. I just bought both this game and the first joystick I will own since 1999.

I don't know what came over me, but I am excited to jump in.

Welcome CMDR.

Hey guys, about that ED tracker. I want to add it to the peripheral section (and possibly my personal setup) but I want to get some more info/feedback on it first. Has anyone here used it personally? I love the idea of having a much simpler tracking tool, but how does it compare to Track IR for instance?

I play a lot of Arma, ED and will play SC when that is released so I'm thinking I should really pick some kind of head tracking up.

I do want to get an Oculus Rift when it's commercially released and implements some type of gsync/freesync, but I have my reservations about losing multi monitor capability.

Voice attack is the best. Set it up so that I can just say request docking and it will go into the menus for me and do everything that I need it to do without me hitting a button.

How did you manage that? I know the Starport is always at the top of list under contacts but given how the menus don't reset when you leave them wouldn't it sometimes click something else than request docking if you didn't exit the menu in the proper sub menu every time?

Welcome CMDR.

Hey guys, about that ED tracker. I want to add it to the peripheral section (and possibly my personal setup) but I want to get some more info/feedback on it first. Has anyone here used it personally? I love the idea of having a much simpler tracking tool, but how does it compare to Track IR for instance?

I play a lot of Arma, ED and will play SC when that is released so I'm thinking I should really pick some kind of head tracking up.

I do want to get an Oculus Rift when it's commercially released and implements some type of gsync/freesync, but I have my reservations about losing multi monitor capability.
I have a TrackIR 5 and personally, I'd get that even though ED Tracker is cheaper.

It works out of the box with the programs and doesn't have some of the issues the cobbled together trackers have.

You can search by specific good, that's the best part of that tool. Go to search, and make sure that you have the commodity box checked off. It will then give you a drop down box where you can select which item you want. Then select buying or selling and enter the current system you are in and the distance in which you want to travel. Hit search and it will give you a list of stations and their distance from you.

Oh, so that's where that was hiding, thanks!

I have a TrackIR 5 and personally, I'd get that even though ED Tracker is cheaper.

It works out of the box with the programs and doesn't have some of the issues the cobbled together trackers have.

It wasn't so much cost that piqued my interest, just that it seemed a bit less intrusive. I'll probably just use the Dslyecxi $20 off coupon and pick up the IR5. It's really about time I picked this up.

JambiBum

How did you manage that? I know the Starport is always at the top of list under contacts but given how the menus don't reset when you leave them wouldn't it sometimes click something else than request docking if you didn't exit the menu in the proper sub menu every time?

I need to look at my command list, but I'm pretty sure I just have it set up so that it's right>right>down>select>select. I'll check to make sure as soon as I dock though. I also have it reset the menus when it is done so that I don't run into that issue.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah I can see why they don't want to bring it in, get all sales as a solid profit with no loss. Maybe in the future, as you said, when sales dwindle they will bring it on Steam for a nice boost in profit.

I also paid $150 for the early access. I played the old games but wasn't a die hard fan. I much preferred Wing Commander back in those days, which is why I'm looking forward to Star Citizen so much.

Corgi

Banned
finally home. coming in this blind.

This tutorial is freaking terrible lol. It doesn't actually 'tutorialize' anything besides how to lock on and fire >.<"

And jesus, didn't realize the tutorial and the game are separate dls. This really does feel like old pc gaming! hmmm

Esqueleto

Banned
It wasn't so much cost that piqued my interest, just that it seemed a bit less intrusive. I'll probably just use the Dslyecxi $20 off coupon and pick up the IR5. It's really about time I picked this up.

It's not that bad. I made my own and I don't feel it even though I have 2 aa batteries stuck to the side of my headphones. I spent around 50 on parts but the amount of time I spent building it and trying to figure out how to calibrate FTNIR kinda makes me regret not just buying a trackir.

Klyka

Banned
finally home. coming in this blind.

This tutorial is freaking terrible lol. It doesn't actually 'tutorialize' anything besides how to lock on and fire >.<"

And jesus, didn't realize the tutorial and the game are separate dls. This really does feel like old pc gaming! hmmm

they arent you downloaded the combat mission for no reason

Nope I wasn't alive when the old games were released and only played them recently. This has just been a dream game of mine as long as I can remember. What Star Citizen has promised is what I really want. But they are going about development in the wrong way imo. Elite has a much more sustainable approach. That being said I've backed both.

Currently looking up resources to put in the critical reception section so I wandered over to metacritic for a second. A bunch of people giving low scores due to them backing out of the offline mode. Which frankly is a bit rediculous to do. Single player mode is still there, and in a much more dynamic fashion than it would have been otherwise.

vehn

How is dying in this game... Is it like Day Z where you start off from square 1 when you die, or is it like Rust / Altis Life where you have money in the bank or some place where you can store equipment you had?

JambiBum

Aztech for my docking command in VA here's the steps that I have it go through.

Left shift (for panel) > E (to move categories) > Pause 0.05 secs (If you don't pause it will go too fast) > E > Space (to select station)> S (to move down) > Space (to request docking) > Left shift (to go back to cockpit view)

I also have some voice responses in there at the end that I added so that it lets me know when it's done.

How is dying in this game... Is it like Day Z where you start off from square 1 when you die, or is it like Rust / Altis Life where you have money in the bank or some place where you can store equipment you had?
If you have enough credits you can rebuy your ship/modules, you lose any cargo. You keep your credits. If you have ships stored elsewhere you keep those.

If you don't have enough credits you can always get a free sidewinder

EDIT: Example Image (stolen from somewhere on Reddit)

Aztech for my docking command in VA here's the steps that I have it go through.

Left shift (for panel) > E (to move categories) > Pause 0.05 secs (If you don't pause it will go too fast) > E > Space (to select station)> S (to move down) > Space (to request docking) > Left shift (to go back to cockpit view)

I also have some voice responses in there at the end that I added so that it lets me know when it's done.

Oh no I get how to program it to do this, I'm just wondering how you get the target panel to reset every time you leave it so your macro doesn't do something unintended.

Well you can insure your ships and your credits won't go away if you die. But obviously losing your ship can cost you. I'm actually not sure if you can insure your hardpoints/utilities etc as part of the "insurance" or do you just get a base model ship coverage with your insurance?

JambiBum

Oh no I get how to program it to do this, I'm just wondering how you get the target panel to reset every time you leave it so your macro doesn't do something unintended.

Ah ok. Well usually I have just reset it myself by the time I get to another dock. I haven't tried setting it up so that it does it on its own yet though.

Gaz_RB

If you are in a sidewinder still, the fastest way to make money (to me anyway) is by buying slaves for the missions you can find. Most missions ask for two slaves and will pay out around 40-60k. Two slaves will cost you around 20k. The only issue with slave trade (what are morales) is that the distance you have to travel to buy them can be pretty long sometimes. Once I find somewhere that will sell slaves I usually buy around 4 just to have extras in case I run across a mission.

Slaves? :(

I'm an honest pilot! Haha everytime I get tempted by slaves I just remember that cargo is measured in tons, so "two slaves" is actually a cargo hold packed with two tons worth of slaves

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Well I just read a forum post on Elite Dangerous that was stating the reason for the release in its current state (and from what I've seen is true), it really made me sad they released the game apparently with very little implemented. But it sounds like they have a very grand vision which excites me. I've been looking for a really cool space themed game, and Star Citizen is way far off. I just wish they would bring it to Steam, I wouldn't mind using my CSGO money to give it a shot. :/

Whats the fascination with steam? Peoples complain that there is DRM already with Frontier's launcher (duh, online game), and you would want DRM on top of DRM just for the sake of it being on steam? Not to mention the developers dont get full money out of it.

Just make a freaking shortcut

JambiBum

Slaves? :(

I'm an honest pilot! Haha everytime I get tempted by slaves I just remember that cargo is measured in tons, so "two slaves" is actually a cargo hold packed with two tons worth of slaves

That two ton cargo hold full of slaves can turn into a two ton pile of money.

Think about it

RK9039

You went back into the bulletin board right? It should be at the top of the list.

Yeah I'm looking at it right now :S, I even went to two different stations under the same faction that wants the cargo and yet it doesn't complete. This is the second time this happened today.

andylsun

CMDR andylsun online.

Exited my starting launchpad and trottle was inverted. Full speed into some buildings! Fixed that and just supercrused to another station. Felt awesome!

Trying to tell my wife why I'm exited to play a game that's an update of one I got for Christmas in 1985. Spectrum version with lenslock copy protection. My parents didn't see me for two days!

This feels like elite.

JambiBum

Yeah I'm looking at it right now :S, I even went to two different stations under the same faction that wants the cargo and yet it doesn't complete. This is the second time this happened today.

It shouldn't have two stations listed under the mission. It should just be cargo+amount+station location. Usually you take it back to the station that you received the mission from. The mission could always be glitched of course but I haven't ran across any glitches like that. If you could take a screenshot of the mission panel that would help.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've uploaded my Voice Attack profile if anyone wants to use it as a base for their own. Only thing to keep in mind is I've got it using the default keyboard keys for commands, so if you've rebound them you'll need to change it in the VA profile. I also kept it under 20 commands so people can try it with the VA trial if they want.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I've uploaded my Voice Attack profile if anyone wants to use it as a base for their own. Only thing to keep in mind is I've got it using the default keyboard keys for commands, so if you've rebound them you'll need to change it in the VA profile. I also kept it under 20 commands so people can try it with the VA trial if they want.

Cheers for that. How much is it to unlock the full version?

Ketch

I'm thinking about picking this up, but I'm worried about it being too inaccessible for my tastes.

I know it's not hand holdy and that's fine. But if I just pick it up and go am I gonna be completely lost for awhile?

RK9039

It shouldn't have two stations listed under the mission. It should just be cargo+amount+station location. Usually you take it back to the station that you received the mission from. The mission could always be glitched of course but I haven't ran across any glitches like that. If you could take a screenshot of the mission panel that would help.

Ah, I'll take a screenshot of it if it happens again, I just abandoned it. I only had 10 minutes remaining and I don't know what I was supposed to do. Felt like a giant waste of time though.

Gaz_RB

Been thinking about it and this pushed me over the edge. Thanks man

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Flying is very hard on a kb + m (I'm a flight sim novice), and my hand hurts.

Is this easier on a controller? I have a PS3 controller lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom