• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
I do this too. I used to use Space Engine for this, but now I usually just boot up Elite instead so I can do missions as well. Space Engine still makes much better looking screenshots imo due to the planetside stuff but hopefully Elite will surpass that when it gets patched in.

I Think planetary landings will be behind a DLC that you pay for.

Well except if you are a premium backer (like me cho cho :) )

WARNING: If you have a big ship and can't afford millions in insurance and/or repair bills, I suggest that you do not undock as just scraping/touching another ship will kill your ship or incur huge repair bills.

It's fixed I think but cost me 2.5m in an Anaconda. Was docking and and BAM hull at 17% shields gone and smoke everywhere. Luckily it wasn't destroyed. That would have been 9m.

Yep, me too exactly. So now I do both! I have my screensaver pointed to a directory full of pics from both Space Engine and Elite. Even with Elite out now though, Space Engine can keep me busy for hours upon hours. I'm just an explorer at heart I suppose. That's probably why I can also spend entire nights simply exploring the countryside or spelunking random caves in Minecraft too.

That's how I am in Minecraft too. I love taking screenshots of random landscapes in that game. That's one of the main reasons I'm excited for No Man's Sky, even though there's nothing to do besides walking around in that game ;)

I Think planetary landings will be behind a DLC that you pay for.

Well except if you are a premium backer (like me cho cho :) )

Noooooooooo! That's really disappointing if true. Are there plans for other paid DLC? I don't want every major update locked behind a paywall... As much as I'm loving this game, I already kinda feel like I'm paying for a beta. I hate the idea of paying even more to make the game feel "finished".

Wreav

Banned
There will be at least 2 paid expansions.

Major content like planetary landings and EVAs will be locked to those, yes.

Hylian7

WARNING: If you have a big ship and can't afford millions in insurance and/or repair bills, I suggest that you do not undock as just scraping/touching another ship will kill your ship or incur huge repair bills.

I have a Viper and have never used a big ship, but wtf?! Is this a bug I guess? That really sucks.

One thing I'm curious about though, are shields just not that strong on bigger ships? I've had somewhat slow collisions with other ships before, only took a bit of shield damage, so it wasn't too big of a deal, but I always hear horror stories of accidentally smashing into another ship or station, then "OH GOD MUH ANACONDA"

RK9039

I seriously can't wait for that, I just want to get out and walk around. It's going to be so cool to see the ships from the outside. Even small stuff like getting out of the ship and repairing.

Wreav

Banned
I seriously can't wait for that, I just want to get out and walk around. It's going to be so cool to see the ships from the outside. Even small stuff like getting out of the ship and repairing.

I feel you. Give me the Battlefield blowtorch and a spacesuit and let me go to town.

How much will an EVA cost?

4A9fHot.jpg

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Two new ships upcoming in 1.2

Hi everyone,

This week saw the public release for 1.1. There were a few more issues than we'd expect with a release - having reviewed what happened we are confident that its a one off and that we will resume 'normal service' going forward. The issues were promptly addressed in minor updates, and we thank those affected for their patience and understanding. The test server and beta forum will be closed until we start the next beta phase for 1.2.

The focus for a large proportion of the team is now for the 1.2 update. There will be an in depth feature on the Wings functionality in the next couple of weeks and I’ll post the link to that when it’s available. In the meantime we’re also adding other new features and content. The galaxy map will be seeing an update beyond what I mentioned in last week’s post with more visible indications for player’s ships, mission markers, wing markers and friends locations displayed in the map. These changes will also be applied the system map.

Update 1.2 will also contain two new playable ships – there will be more information on these in coming newsletters. These are two of our originally planned ships so aren’t part of the five additional ships mentioned in a previous newsletter.

Wings!!

Vladmiris

Hi guys. I read the minimum specs and they seem reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone with a set-up close to mine would tell me how it plays:

Intel i5 3570K
Radeon HD 7870 Extreme Edition
16 GB of RAM

I would love to try a space sim if I could get my wife off LOTRO. I built myself a new PC and she stole it from me...lol.

So is Sol a good system? Good system to just be around? Thinking of picking a good home system, one where I can do some good trading once I figure out how it works, and doing a bunch of dogfighting. I'm hoping to grab a Viper when I next log in, so if there's a good station that would sell it, that'd be a huge plus.

Sol only really offers high Federation reputation stuff, so not great for someone starting out.

Arcturus is a good hub system - a huge star, lots of stations and missions and trade opportunities surrounding it and near some starting areas.

Or, if you want shootmans, LTT 3572 is only a few jumps from Sol and has a nav beacon and 12 resource extraction sites, plus a well-stocked station (a bit skimpy on high end weaponry, but everything else pretty good).

mitchman

Gold Member
It's fixed I think but cost me 2.5m in an Anaconda. Was docking and and BAM hull at 17% shields gone and smoke everywhere. Luckily it wasn't destroyed. That would have been 9m.

I played it safe and didn't undock until it was fixed, which it seems to be now yes.

I have a Viper and have never used a big ship, but wtf?! Is this a bug I guess? That really sucks.

One thing I'm curious about though, are shields just not that strong on bigger ships? I've had somewhat slow collisions with other ships before, only took a bit of shield damage, so it wasn't too big of a deal, but I always hear horror stories of accidentally smashing into another ship or station, then "OH GOD MUH ANACONDA"

Much stronger shields of course, but once they are gone, expect to pay many 100k in repair, if not millions if you have a lot of damage. This particular bug in 1.1 would make an anaconda explode if you rubbed it against something else for more than a 3-4 seconds.

kvk1

I feel like they really have to change the mission-USS mechanics somehow.

Flying in circles for an hour waiting for RNG to bless you with the "right" one, then the whole "mission update" charade, is really arduous after the first few times.

Wreav

Banned
I feel like they really have to change the mission-USS mechanics somehow.

Flying in circles for an hour waiting for RNG to bless you with the "right" one, then the whole "mission update" charade, is really arduous after the first few times.

It's poopy for sure, but why are you flying in circles? Throttle down, cruise in a straight line, and they'll pop up all over the place.

kvk1

It's poopy for sure, but why are you flying in circles? Throttle down, cruise in a straight line, and they'll pop up all over the place.

Ooohh, I didn't know you can do that.

Man, that cheapens the experience even more, but until (if ever) they make it less cumbersome, that might be the ticket.

You'll be getting that back, don't worry.

Eh, I didn't ticket it. I don't even remember it honestly, was watching Farscape and docking as usual and shit started going haywire. Funny, I did so many runs just lazily docking and squeezing by other ships I'm surprised I didn't notice it sooner or had it happen more often.

owlbeak

Well I picked up a Cobra and got it a little suited for exploration and headed off. After about 4 hours and ~400LY round trip, I was proudly the first to discover 8 systems. :)

Very cool and I'm pleased. Went to bed disappointed the other night after not having gotten any first discoveries, but I will sleep soundly tonight! :)

Shifty76

Hi guys. I read the minimum specs and they seem reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone with a set-up close to mine would tell me how it plays:

Intel i5 3570K
Radeon HD 7870 Extreme Edition
16 GB of RAM

I would love to try a space sim if I could get my wife off LOTRO. I built myself a new PC and she stole it from me...lol.
You'll be fine. I'm running an x1100t, 6870 and 14gb and its smooth on high settings at 1080p

Kiyoshi

Well I picked up a Cobra and got it a little suited for exploration and headed off. After about 4 hours and ~400LY round trip, I was proudly the first to discover 8 systems. :)

Very cool and I'm pleased. Went to bed disappointed the other night after not having gotten any first discoveries, but I will sleep soundly tonight! :)

Nice one, I'm doing the same. I can't afford an Asp, so I've got my Cobra fitted out for exploitation.

I've visited around 50 systems so far on my way to the Pleiades cluster. My route is an economical route rather than the fastest so lots of these systems have been close by, so I'm still not very far away from populated space. When I've explored the cluster I'll stretch my legs somewhat and venture further out.

I've only been the first Explorer of one system so far, but plenty of water worlds with carbon life.

Hey guys,

I am interested in this game, but have never played any space sim before. I do not have a flight stick or anything of that sort. Is there any advice anyone can give me about this game? Will I need a flight stick? Will I be able to handle it lol. I am really interested in the concept, I just don't know if this is a good investment. Thanks in advance for the replies!

8bit

Knows the Score
Hey guys,

I am interested in this game, but have never played any space sim before. I do not have a flight stick or anything of that sort. Is there any advice anyone can give me about this game? Will I need a flight stick? Will I be able to handle it lol. I am really interested in the concept, I just don't know if this is a good investment. Thanks in advance for the replies!

You can play it with a 360 Controller if you've got one.

Burny

I do, is it recommended? Or is a keyboard/mouse just fine?

Both work. But a HOTAS feels most natural for controlling the game. You'll have to spend some time at configuring/figuring out the controls for each option.

With mouse+keyboard you might get as good as or better than a HOTAS player at aiming, eventually. But I find that the penalized yaw vs. the roll makes getting used to mouse+keyboard controls relatively hard.

SLV

WHAT THE HELL, i havent played the game for a month and now suddenyl as i log in and activate my guns on my cobra, i dont have sufficient energy ? Get the fuck out of here, that is why i hate the viper, now they gimp cobra too ?

Upgraded from B to A, somewhat can squeze in, 95 % from 100 % usage tho anyway :/

GeoGonzo

WHAT THE HELL, i havent played the game for a month and now suddenyl as i log in and activate my guns on my cobra, i dont have sufficient energy ? Get the fuck out of here, that is why i hate the viper, now they gimp cobra too ?

Upgraded from B to A, somewhat can squeze in, 95 % from 100 % usage tho anyway :/
They didnt gimp the Cobra: shield cells now require more energy.

I do, is it recommended? Or is a keyboard/mouse just fine?

I started off with keyboard and mouse, but since I've moved to using my PS4 controller I haven't looked back. The only thing I use my keyboard for is typing out comms. I've been mulling around the idea of getting a HOTAS (Thrustmaster T-Flight), but I've been having such a good time playing with a gamepad that I haven't gotten around to ordering it. I would try both if I were you and see what you prefer. Once you've gotten into the game a little more, maybe then consider a HOTAS.

Faith

Yeah I suppose it's 1.1.0.4 :p

And it was:

Hello there, folks!

1.1.04 has gone live - the servers are up and running.

Client changes:
Bounty vouchers can be redeemed at any starport in a system that also contains the faction which issued the bounty.
Some Commanders are in systems that cannot currently be retrieved from the server database, which has been causing crashes when loading into the game. We're working to identify and repair the systems affected, which includes a change to automatically report the problem system and exit back to the main menu with a load failure message.
Audio for the Imperial Clipper more closely resembles the sound from the 1.07 release.
Improved localisation support for community goals (we're still working through some issues with Russian language support).
Fixed the 3rd decal not displaying properly on the Python.
Fixed a very rare crash triggered by limpets being destroyed.

Server changes
Added more checks for starsystems reported to crash the game. This interim measure will automatically attempt to restore access to that starsystem within 10 minutes of the crash being reported.
Improved logging for some rare failures when selling exploration data.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114072

owlbeak

Nice one, I'm doing the same. I can't afford an Asp, so I've got my Cobra fitted out for exploitation.

I've visited around 50 systems so far on my way to the Pleiades cluster. My route is an economical route rather than the fastest so lots of these systems have been close by, so I'm still not very far away from populated space. When I've explored the cluster I'll stretch my legs somewhat and venture further out.

I've only been the first Explorer of one system so far, but plenty of water worlds with carbon life.
That's awesome! I haven't found any systems with life yet so far. But most of the systems I found were in the Col Sector and were mostly red dwarf stars with very few planets, mostly icy ones. I did find one system with 8 planets, a few rocky ones, but still barren.

Best of luck out there! :)

Bounty vouchers can be redeemed at any starport in a system that also contains the faction which issued the bounty.
THIS is a great little change.

Danj

Did anyone else just get booted out of the game and unable to get back in? I had some unrecoverable transaction error thing, which sounded a bit worrying, and now it's saying it can't load the commander data from the server.

EDIT: nevernind, I've managed to get back in now. Still, that was weird!

GeoGonzo

Latest newsletter: Fer-de-Lance confirmed for March release with 1.2.

Is this the first time we've gotten an actual date/window for 1.2?
Not really. Betas for 1.1 and 1.2 were planned for the first week of each month. In fact this newsletter seems to hint at a possible delay of beta 1.2... or maybe they simply plan to test it for more than one week this time. Neither of these options would sound unreasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom