• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchman

Gold Member
WARNING: If you have a big ship and can't afford millions in insurance and/or repair bills, I suggest that you do not undock as just scraping/touching another ship will kill your ship or incur huge repair bills.

HelloMeow

Rebalanced shield cells to take more power

I found out the hard way.

After updating the game, I got interdicted by an Eagle while I was fuel scooping with my Cobra. As soon as I deployed my hardpoints, all of my modules went down. I couldn't even steer my ship for about a minute.

Luckily I could disable some modules and run, but the Eagle almost blew my canopy.

WARNING: If you have a big ship and can't afford millions in insurance and/or repair bills, I suggest that you do not undock as just scraping/touching another ship will kill your ship or incur huge repair bills.

So they didn't fix this? I noticed another poster pointing out this bug but I figured it would be fixed if they are pushing the update out.... has Frontier even acknowledged this?

calder

Bought the game yesterday, was briefly annoyed by the launcher crashing (I guess the update?) but got it going again today. Really liked the beginning once I got used to the flight controls with a X1 controller a bit. Did most of the tutorials, then was itching to get going so I started the game and took a mission to deliver some electronic documents (no dropbox in the future? :p).

WELL I guess the one tutorial I skipped was the navigation one, so wow did that screw me over. Didn't realize what supercruise was or that I was doing it when I dropped out of hyperdrive, so needless to say I whipped past the station several times before figuring it out. Oops. :)

I'm finding the game runs smoother after the 1.1 when bounty hunting in an instance. I used to get weird hitches right as I destroyed a target, that hasn't happened today. However, stuttering when nearing new planets in supercruise is still a thing and it's my personal biggest annoyance.

owlbeak

Was hoping to get some Discovered By tags tonight, but damn! I've flown about 200LY in all manner of directors out in the middle of nowhere and everything is already discovered. :'[

Gonna keep heading off and hope I find an undiscovered system. It would be nice if the galaxy map would show unexplored systems, as in unexplored to everyone and not just you.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Was hoping to get some Discovered By tags tonight, but damn! I've flown about 200LY in all manner of directors out in the middle of nowhere and everything is already discovered. :'[

Gonna keep heading off and hope I find an undiscovered system. It would be nice if the galaxy map would show unexplored systems, as in unexplored to everyone and not just you.

Just keep going. There are 1.3 million systems per current player (400b/300k).

mitchman

Gold Member
So they didn't fix this? I noticed another poster pointing out this bug but I figured it would be fixed if they are pushing the update out.... has Frontier even acknowledged this?

It was not fixed in 1.1 despite they knowing about it for a week, since beta 1. The clipper hotfix also didn't fix this. Countless threads on their forums about ships touching another and blowing up or getting huge repair bills. I own a python and a anaconda, and both are staying in the hangar until this is fixed for sure.

So is Sol a good system? Good system to just be around? Thinking of picking a good home system, one where I can do some good trading once I figure out how it works, and doing a bunch of dogfighting. I'm hoping to grab a Viper when I next log in, so if there's a good station that would sell it, that'd be a huge plus.

epmode

Still getting microstutters in evera area of the game, no matter what I'm doing. If I drop vsync, graphics and resolution, I get well over 200 FPS so it's not sub-par hardware or anything.

Been having this problem since Premium Beta 1 with no fix in sight. Tried swapping out video card, reformatting Windows 7 and even a clean 8.1 install.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

So is Sol a good system? Good system to just be around? Thinking of picking a good home system, one where I can do some good trading once I figure out how it works, and doing a bunch of dogfighting. I'm hoping to grab a Viper when I next log in, so if there's a good station that would sell it, that'd be a huge plus.

It's a pretty solid system to hang out in, apparently, but you gotta get that permit first.

There are stations that sell Vipers but I'm not sure how good they are for outfitting. I've looked at each planet and their stations from Mercury to Jupiter and while their impressive to look at, they haven't been all that well stocked. That said, I just had a fun session of bounty hunting in the rings of Jupiter. Actually, the 2 times I've bounty hunted tonight I was getting a steady stream of decent bounty Cobras.

Also, the overheating from weapons isn't nearly as bad as I feared. I have 4 small beam lasers on my ASP and it takes quite bit to even approach overheating while using them.

I'm fine hanging around it for a time. Gotta get those missions first for the federation, lol.

Haha, I heard you--I'm in the same boat.

I feel like this game is going to be completely refreshed once Wings are announced. Being able to complete missions , get rewards together, group-specific missions--this game desperately needs it. Preaching to the choir, I know.

Raticus79

If anyone feels like working on the community goal at Yembo, Anouphis is a nice source system for metals, 12 LY away. Wealthy/very large extraction station, 16 Ls. I just added it to Thrudd's. You can do the usual high tech / extraction trade there with palladium / gold and consumer tech / performance enhancers.

The galaxy map shows it as agricultural, but that's wrong.

---

As a side note, this goal structure feels wrong. Instead of working on a goal with "we need 1 million tons of metal and then we move to the next phase", it's "everybody bring however much metal you want to in the next 7 days and it'll progress to the next phase regardless". Bleh.

calder

Wait, I find some shit just lying around, take it to the nearest large station to sell to literally anyone hand over to the proper authorities and it's considered stolen? This is an outrage!

I figured since I was scanned going in and nothing happened it was all copacetic. :( It turns out the fine I paid was all the money I made from the found goods plus almost everything I had made from the 3 courier missions I started off doing.

I have to figure out how to scan new systems. That seems like it'd be worth doing.

owlbeak

Made a supremely decent amount of money doing exploration last night, though not enough for an Asp...not even close, but was wondering how the Cobra is for exploration, general firefights and a little bit of cargo hauling (<15 tons). I've only flown the Sidey, Adder, and currently the Viper which is decked out for combat and exploration.

What sort of jump range am I looking at for the Cobra? My Viper is currently around 9.89LY and would like something that can get me further faster.

Raticus79

Hmm, one big thing they overlooked is cargo loading/unloading time. It's inconsistent for 400 tons of cargo to instantly teleport from station inventory into your hold. That's one reason why mining falls so far behind.

DrBo42

Hmm, one big thing they overlooked is cargo loading/unloading time. It's inconsistent for 400 tons of cargo to instantly teleport from station inventory into your hold. That's one reason why mining falls so far behind.

That's a good idea. I'd hope they'd rebalance income per hour before dealing with some realism issues though. Trading outside of luxuries still blows hardcore (and even luxuries is awful). In fact every method of making money does. Game shouldn't feel so damn grindy but alas I've read 0 input on that from the devs. Happy to be wrong on that front if anyone has evidence otherwise.

Edit: I mean fuck, add some form of taxation if you want to balance money for the crazy huge trade ships. Get them to buy trading permits to operate in certain systems, doubles as an incentive/reason to smuggle and makes the fine more believable if caught. I'll just make a thread on the official forums about it, screw it.

bj00rn_

Banned
Made a supremely decent amount of money doing exploration last night, though not enough for an Asp...not even close, but was wondering how the Cobra is for exploration, general firefights and a little bit of cargo hauling (<15 tons). I've only flown the Sidey, Adder, and currently the Viper which is decked out for combat and exploration.

What sort of jump range am I looking at for the Cobra? My Viper is currently around 9.89LY and would like something that can get me further faster.

Standard Jump Range (Unladen) 10.46 Ly
Upgraded Hyperspace Range: 22.53 Ly

calder

It's really not.

Dang. I like exploring, would have been cool if it was lucrative. Ah well.

Are there places that you can sell stolen/illegal goods easily? I found a black market which was fine (but talk about buried in the menus) but since I got busted by the station as I entered it wasn't super helpful. Are there any lawless places that won't scan me, or do I have to roll the dice? I'm think of how Privateer had totally lawless systems where you could sell anything as long as you could avoid or kill the inevitable pirate attacks.

It was amusing that the black market was in the same sub menu as the security office that I had to pay my giant fine at. :p

Wreav

Banned
Smuggling is the act of selling black market goods in a non-anarchic system before getting scanned by local security. You just need to get better at entering stations hot.

You can also sell to BMs in anarchic systems more easily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Exploring is profitable, just not as lucrative as trading. I personally find it much more fun, so it's how I make a virtual living in Elite.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

It's not super lucrative but it can make you some money if you do it right, while being (in my opinion) one of the most exciting ways to play the game. You're heading out into uncharted territory, "where no man has gone before", and now get to leave your mark on the game permanently thanks to the Discovered By tag.

Have a look at this chart to check out what each stellar object is worth:

nsi1v08.jpg

Ideally you want an Advanced Discovery Scanner - these are pricey but will scan everything in the system for you. Once you've done your discovery scan, look at your System Map. Look to see if there is anything of high value - metal rich or high metal content planets, Earth-like or Water worlds, black holes.

If there are any present, go and do a detailed scan of them. If not, frame shift to the next system and repeat. Don't spend time scanning rocky planets or asteroids (asteroids are literally worth 0cr). Even gas giants are questionable, they aren't worth much unless they have life, and you can't really tell if they have it until you get up close.

For reference, my biggest trip to date was a round trip of about 20,000 light years (10k out, 10k back), during which I scanned upwards of 600 or 700 systems, and got about 5,000,000cr for it on my return. Took me about a week of playing for a few hours after work. Not the best rate of return by any means, but certainly better than nothing!

calder

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

I really, really loved the couple of hours I played last night. Eager to get a HOTAS now.

So, I'm having an issue figuring out what to prioritize in outfitting my ships, mainly in regards to power. Is there any advantage to having significantly higher power capacity vs usage? Or does the power distributer take care of all of that?

What's a good LY jump range? I dont mind hopping from system to system, but straight up not being able to reach places is of course no good.

Wreav

Banned
FD is issuing automatic credit reimbursements for any collision deaths incurred because of 1.1

update 1.1.02 is incoming at 4pm GMT. The servers will be down for up to 30 minutes during the update. The following changes are in the update:

Client changes:

- Collision damage tweak - Restore the check that prevented multiple lumps of damage from the same collision. Also make the damage split based on mass slightly more exaggerated
- Stop point defence turrets from targetting their parent ship's missiles/mines
- Fix issue with multiple controllers enabled and not recognising them all
- Fix matchmaking issue for comms when UDP hole punching fails
- Fix disconnect issue when a resend message is lost (fails and retries getting out of sync)
- Remove some unneeded telemetry in supercruise - it was causing some stutters

Server changes:

- Commanders with at least one Elite rank should receive a 2.5% discount at all shipyards and outfitting shops
- Backers who backed at the Founder level or above should receive a 2.5% discount at all shipyards and outfitting shops
- Faction recovery time from Civil War has been significantly reduced

Portman

I've finished reading the thread from the beginning and have learned a good bit (thanks everyone!) but I've still got some things that I'd like to get clarification on if someone doesn't mind helping a fellow commander out.

I've been running bounties at the local resource site and have built up enough to afford a hauler. I bought it and went off on an adventure where I thought I would be making money based on what I'd seen in the map and commodity screen but barely made 5,000cr. I keep seeing people talk about all these great trading routes but when I look them up or just attempt to use something like Thrudd's tool it always seems to show me either systems that I can't plot to or the profit seems small. Say for example the profit shows 2130 so does that mean that it's that much profit per item or ton (I'm not sure how to refer to this stuff)?

I'm in Kremainn at Wohler Terminal currently if that helps as a reference for examples. When I'm seeing people mention that they're making X million/thousands per hour I'm guessing they have a larger ship outfitted or have found a specific area to trade?

Also I have outfitted my hauler for mining to test that out although I don't know what to expect. At least if it is a bust then I can benefit from the cargo expansions. Is mining worth doing or is it one of those professions where everyone bleeds an area dry and it's useless (assuming minerals don't regenerate)? Even if it isn't super income intense I may do it just for relaxation and a change of pace.

I see missions to gain the favor of the Federation and I would like to take them but they always want cargo that is illegal (and either really far away or that I can't find). Is that the only way those missions work or will others show up eventually if I keep working on bounties at the extraction sites?

Thanks if anyone can help out and hope my questions aren't too dense! I'm really enjoying the game and looking forward to the expansions but I'm just having a hard time figuring out some of the details of the game. Plus if I can get into the groove of things then I'll buy a paint scheme or two and that'll give the developers more money for the game (assuming they don't spend it at the pub).

Edit: Not meaning to sound like that's a bribe at the end there. I am enjoying the game that much and figured I'd give in and buy a fancy paint job or two.

Remove some unneeded telemetry in supercruise - it was causing some stutters

If this fixes the supercruise stuttering when approaching a planet for the first time, I will be ecstatic.

Edit: never mind. Still an issue.

I'll try and answer what I can but there's no need for compensation. I'd like to help when I can.

I've finished reading the thread from the beginning and have learned a good bit (thanks everyone!) but I've still got some things that I'd like to get clarification on if someone doesn't mind helping a fellow commander out.

I've been running bounties at the local resource site and have built up enough to afford a hauler. I bought it and went off on an adventure where I thought I would be making money based on what I'd seen in the map and commodity screen but barely made 5,000cr. I keep seeing people talk about all these great trading routes but when I look them up or just attempt to use something like Thrudd's tool it always seems to show me either systems that I can't plot to or the profit seems small. Say for example the profit shows 2130 so does that mean that it's that much profit per item or ton (I'm not sure how to refer to this stuff)?

Each unit is a ton. The profit they typically show is per ton. One thing to keep in mind, with the latest patch, names of some stations have changed so I imagine trading tools are a little messed up right now.

I'm in Kremainn at Wohler Terminal currently if that helps as a reference for examples. When I'm seeing people mention that they're making X million/thousands per hour I'm guessing they have a larger ship outfitted or have found a specific area to trade?

Yes they are using much bigger ships. Type 7s can carry over 200 tons I think. I have no clue how much a Type 9 can carry.

Also I have outfitted my hauler for mining to test that out although I don't know what to expect. At least if it is a bust then I can benefit from the cargo expansions. Is mining worth doing or is it one of those professions where everyone bleeds an area dry and it's useless (assuming minerals don't regenerate)? Even if it isn't super income intense I may do it just for relaxation and a change of pace.

I haven't done much mining myself but just the fact that you have to cargo scoop all the loot makes it seem really labor intensive compared to all other professions. Same goes for pirates. Cargo scooping to fill a large ship must take an eternity.

I see missions to gain the favor of the Federation and I would like to take them but they always want cargo that is illegal (and either really far away or that I can't find). Is that the only way those missions work or will others show up eventually if I keep working on bounties at the extraction sites?

I don't believe those missions are the important ones. The important ones will be Federation Navy and I think the earliest ones are just simple legal cargo grabs. There should be some legal missions to choose from as well to build up rep. Bounty hunting helps too.

Thanks if anyone can help out and hope my questions aren't too dense! I'm really enjoying the game and looking forward to the expansions but I'm just having a hard time figuring out some of the details of the game. Plus if I can get into the groove of things then I'll buy a paint scheme or two and that'll give the developers more money for the game (assuming they don't spend it at the pub).

Edit: Not meaning to sound like that's a bribe at the end there. I am enjoying the game that much and figured I'd give in and buy a fancy paint job or two.

GeoGonzo

So, I'm having an issue figuring out what to prioritize in outfitting my ships, mainly in regards to power. Is there any advantage to having significantly higher power capacity vs usage? Or does the power distributer take care of all of that?

What's a good LY jump range? I dont mind hopping from system to system, but straight up not being able to reach places is of course no good.

The power distributor is indeed the most important part, its the only thing that can make you boost more often, shoot more often and recharge shields faster.

With 12 LY you should be able to reach pretty much every star, but going up to 15 helps to make routes more direct. Less than 9 is troublesome.

If I recall correctly Thrudd measures profit in profit per ton for a complete trip (going to a second station and then coming back)

Yup, large ships. Some ships carry between 400 and 500 tons of cargo, so profits do end up pretty high.

More about profits: the most valuable cargo often offers the largest profits, but the most important thing is to fill up your ship and always keep a safety deposit for insurance and more cargo.

Making 1.000 profit per ton is okay. A good route will often yield 1k for one of the trips and 1.5k for the other. You can sometimes make up to 2k profit per ton but those trips rarely make any money on the way back.

Mining can get a bit dull pretty fast, but since you sell back outfitting parts for their original cost it you can always try something else if you don't like it. Mining can make some good money when you are starting out, though! Just keep in mind that there's a huge difference in profits between an average and a good spot. When mining, check the spot in the System Map: you are looking for 2 key things: what kind of things can you mine and how depleted these resources are. You are looking for pristine metallic rings or asteroids. And areas do regenerate, but it is simply better to move on to a better place. Oh and try to have a refinery with multiple bins and a discovery scanner.

Others should show up, but it depends on who controls the station: shady factions often shady quests more often. Illegal cargo is tricky stuff and getting scanned trying to smuggle it into a station may actually hurt your reputation a LOT (also, you'd get a fine). The best quests to gain reputation are often charity missions... but don't expect any monetary reward for those.

Welcome, and feel free to ask as much as you want... Elite is kind of intimidating and confusing when you're getting started.

Portman

Thanks for the info! For now my plan is to sample a bit of trade instead of trying to mine since I can swap the stuff out easily (that's good to know). It will give me a chance to become familiar with making long jumps since I was confused by that but I think I understand it now after some recent posts. I will also work on some more bounty hunting to earn money for a newer ship and keep running missions too.

For the oculus rift users , did you notice change since 1.1 ? For me there is more motion blur when i turn my head and there is a lot more black smearing in supercruise that it did before.

I'm still on 344.11 WQHL drivers so maybe it is related, but i've read somewhere that newest nvidia drivers were bad with elite and the rift.

Ronnie

Banned
Ideally you want an Advanced Discovery Scanner - these are pricey but will scan everything in the system for you.

I find this sort of takes the fun out of exploring tbh. It's similar to trading and making millions really early in your campaign, it just ruins any sense of value or progression. IMO.

Mengy

I find this sort of takes the fun out of exploring tbh. It's similar to trading and making millions really early in your campaign, it just ruins any sense of value or progression. IMO.

I thought that at first too, as I kind of enjoyed hunting for far away stars and planets by carefully watching the starfields as I supercruised around, but man the ADS makes it so much easier and quicker. Now I can spend more time sightseeing and doing crazy flyby's of ringed planets and asteroid fields. I also tend to take lots of screenshots. Sometimes I feel like I'm exploring simply to hunt for good screenshot opportunities, LOL.

I thought that at first too, as I kind of enjoyed hunting for far away stars and planets by carefully watching the starfields as I supercruised around, but man the ADS makes it so much easier and quicker. Now I can spend more time sightseeing and doing crazy flyby's of ringed planets and asteroid fields. I also tend to take lots of screenshots. Sometimes I feel like I'm exploring simply to hunt for good screenshot opportunities, LOL.

I do this too. I used to use Space Engine for this, but now I usually just boot up Elite instead so I can do missions as well. Space Engine still makes much better looking screenshots imo due to the planetside stuff but hopefully Elite will surpass that when it gets patched in.

Mengy

I do this too. I used to use Space Engine for this, but now I usually just boot up Elite instead so I can do missions as well. Space Engine still makes much better looking screenshots imo due to the planetside stuff but hopefully Elite will surpass that when it gets patched in.

Yep, me too exactly. So now I do both! I have my screensaver pointed to a directory full of pics from both Space Engine and Elite. Even with Elite out now though, Space Engine can keep me busy for hours upon hours. I'm just an explorer at heart I suppose. That's probably why I can also spend entire nights simply exploring the countryside or spelunking random caves in Minecraft too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom