• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGonzo

Looks like a bigger Hauler.

It looks multipurpose to me. Totally guessing here, but I'd expect it to be a stepping stone between the Cobra and the Asp, closer in price to the first (2M?) but better suited for combat than either of them. If I'm right it may become a popular pirate ship too.

Portman

I've been making progress on cargo/trade runs between stations and long distance flights. I've learned how to fuel scoop successfully without nearly destroying the ship too so that's an accomplishment for me (almost lost the ship twice). I have an upgraded FSD for "rare trades" or whatever they're called that I've seen people mention but I am going to build up funds before I try that.

I removed the shields from my hauler for more cargo space and it makes docking more intense since I have to pay attention and take it slow. I also noticed that once I had cargo I seem to be getting interdicted by NPCs more often which is scary since I don't have shields but I've escaped both times. Are you more prone to interdiction when you have cargo or is it just random and possibly location based? Also when being interdicted do the better ships handle the easier or is it always a weave/wobble challenge to get lined up with the escape vector?

I am going to go back to the extraction sites with a friend since they have already gotten a cobra and are making decent money. Hopefully I can learn some tips and build up enough funds to buy a cobra. The patch addition of bounty claims might make that easier too since I have some claims from using a KWS that I wasn't sure where to claim them.

Wreav

Banned
It's a pointy, well-shielded Orca according to Elite lore.

fer_de.jpg

Glad to see they stuck with that version, the engines are totally muscle car'd out.

FDL.png

I suspect the other 1.2 ship is the Federation Corvette (last week's newsletter), in addition to the Fer-de-Lance (not sure of the manufacturer):

Not really. Betas for 1.1 and 1.2 were planned for the first week of each month. In fact this newsletter seems to hint at a possible delay of beta 1.2... or maybe they simply plan to test it for more than one week this time. Neither of these options would sound unreasonable to me.

Ah, thanks! Regardless, March can't come soon enough!

EDIT: Also, I NEED LEGO schematics for all the ships.

654d1916-2eca-460c-87ca-d122c170f632.jpg

Danj

I suspect the other 1.2 ship is the Federation Corvette (last week's newsletter)

I want one of these. Got as far as Chief Petty Officer in the naval rankings so far. Currently waiting for the PLX 695 permit to unbug itself so I can get the next mission.

The rest of this Isinona video is also nice, but I like how into the game that guy at the end is:

http://youtu.be/___lRaq-xZ4

That video was great. I love the player interactions Isinona shows off in his videos. It really shows how alive the Elite world is. I've never run into anyone role playing as hard as the guy in the video but I'll get a couple people that would address me as 'commander'. I should try and get more in character with my comms, makes things more fun for everyone.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm so pissed right now. Spent an hour getting some Bertrandite, just as I was on my way back on the final stretch I can't escape an interdiction and get attacked. Somehow the attacker makes me jettison my cargo.

An hour of my time wasted, cargo lost, money gone.

Fuck this.

I can't imagine making much money pirating. First you have to find a good target, then convince them to get jettison their cargo or blast their cargo hatch and if that all works out you have to cargo scoop up the goods and sell them. Even bounty hunting and combat zones sound much more profitable.

legacyzero

Banned
So I'm attempting to do a "Hunter-Killer" mission. They tell me to find this random person in one of 3 neighboring systems.

How am I supposed to find this person in a giant solar system?

So I'm attempting to do a "Hunter-Killer" mission. They tell me to find this random person in one of 3 neighboring systems.

How am I supposed to find this person in a giant solar system?

Travel to them in one of those systems and wait for Unidentified Signal Sources. You'll typically run into someone that will tell you where they are. Go there and wait for Unidentified Signal Sources again and there you'll find them. The nearby Unidentified Signal Sources will just start appearing if you wait. It doesn't usually take long.

That mission type could be handled much better I think. The random encounters with witnesses is a little crazy considering the vastness of even a single system,

Shifty76

He blew up your cargo hatch.
More likely he used limpets. Hatches are a bitch to take out without destroying the entire ship.

@legacyzero: Felix explained the gist of it, but be aware that your target will be an elite ranked anaconda who can shred you in seconds unless you're REALLY good at combat (or have a pimped out asp or better)

legacyzero

Banned
Travel to them in one of those systems and wait for Unidentified Signal Sources. You'll typically run into someone that will tell you where they are. Go there and wait for Unidentified Signal Sources again and there you'll find them. The nearby Unidentified Signal Sources will just start appearing if you wait. It doesn't usually take long.

That mission type could be handled much better I think. The random encounters with witnesses is a little crazy considering the vastness of even a single system,

Ah, I've seen those. So I can just sit there, and they'll just pop up?

legacyzero

Banned
@legacyzero: Felix explained the gist of it, but be aware that your target will be an elite ranked anaconda who can shred you in seconds unless you're REALLY good at combat (or have a pimped out asp or better)

Well, that would explain the 135,000 cr reward LOL

Did a quick look at my new EDTracker, for those interested. It's well worth the investment.

Mostly Harmless - Episode 3: A Quick Look at EDTracker.

Cool vid, loving mine too. Only wear it when doing combat for the most part though. Still kind of zone out while watching Netflix when I'm trading.

Man, top 5% of the community goals, I was thinking I might try to crack the top 5 but that is just insane. I figured it out and it would be almost a full day to get to 50k+ which would be a moving target anyway.

And that Corvette looks amazing. I think the FDL (or hope rather) will be an 'upper tier' combat ship. So let's hope they give us some more combat ships. I would love to see a great tradeship also. I like the Anaconda but I want something like this, but with bigger cargo.

Kiyoshi

That's awesome! I haven't found any systems with life yet so far. But most of the systems I found were in the Col Sector and were mostly red dwarf stars with very few planets, mostly icy ones. I did find one system with 8 planets, a few rocky ones, but still barren.

Best of luck out there! :)

Thanks, I'm on my way back to Alioth now to cash in my cartography data. I went to the Pleiades Nebula and also the Taurus Dark Region; but it seems like I've been out here for days so I'm heading home despite not actually venturing far away from populated space.

I'll post some stats later when I collate all my data, but I've discovered about 10 life-bearing planets from the 100 or so systems I've visited. Most of these were at Gas Giants, some at Water Worlds and some ammonia based life. No 'Earth-like' worlds found as yet. I've been first to discover objects in around 10 of those systems.

I think you may have picked a sparse region for variation. I'm on my way through COL 285 sector on the way back and it's lots of red planets with a few icy or rocket planets at the moment.

SJRB

Gold Member
He blew up your cargo hatch.

I couldn't tell who was attacking me, is this something AI enemies do too? And how do I prevent it from happening? The guy pretty much ganked me, he got me to sub 50% health in a matter of seconds. I frameshifted out of there as soon as the cooldown was done, but in those few seconds he almost killed me.

GeoGonzo

I couldn't tell who was attacking me, is this something AI enemies do too? And how do I prevent it from happening? The guy pretty much ganked me, he got me to sub 50% health in a matter of seconds. I frameshifted out of there as soon as the cooldown was done, but in those few seconds he almost killed me.
As soon as you are interdicted you should find out of its a player: check your radar, a filled triangle is an NPC and shoudn't be much trouble. If it is an outline of a triangle then that's a player: If you are not immediately under attack don't even move because time allows your FSD to cool down and a pirate may enjoy making their demands while you check out their ship/subsystems and consider your options.

But yeah... like what happened in your case, more often than not the pirate is just an asshole trying to gank someone with a superior ship. If this bothers you much you can always play solo or with a pve group like Mobius.

owlbeak

I think you may have picked a sparse region for variation. I'm on my way through COL 285 sector on the way back and it's lots of red planets with a few icy or rocket planets at the moment.
That's the sector I was exploring in! If you see anything discovered by Horsebite, that's me! :D

Sounds like you had a productive trip! Hope you get a decent amount of credits for your efforts, Commander!

Danj

Couldn't even begin to speculate. I've read other guesses to being in the ~1 million range, but no clue how accurate those guesses will turn out to be.

Oh, only a million? I can definitely achieve that, got a nice rare trading loop going and a Type 6 space lorry transporter to do it with.

calder

I wanted a cheap HOTAS but couldn't find one in a store, but then looked online and found a guy selling a Thrustmaster for $20. Sold! He had a bunch of flight sims laid out when I picked it up but I wasn't interested heh.

Still getting the hang of it, but the improvement is obviously massive. The immersion alone is impressive, you feel like you're really flying a ship (well, more like). Now I just need to tinker with the button layout for probably a hundred more hours to get it all just right...

mandiller

Umm, I'm bored and I have never played a game like this before. What is the general consensus on this now?

It's amazing. Buy a cheap joystick/plug in a 360 pad and drift off into the stars. I've sunk so much time into this after previously being disappointed with other space games like X.

ElyrionX

It's amazing. Buy a cheap joystick/plug in a 360 pad and drift off into the stars. I've sunk so much time into this after previously being disappointed with other space games like X.

sidewinder-precision-2-2dxy-800.jpg

I have this Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 sitting in my closet somewhere. Any idea if it works?

Danj

sidewinder-precision-2-2dxy-800.jpg

I have this Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 sitting in my closet somewhere. Any idea if it works?

As long as it's a standard USB joystick it should be fine.

Elite works best if you have a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) type setup though, so after you've played for a bit you may want to get something like this.

ElyrionX

Ok bought and installing now. Any tips for a newbie?

EDIT: The Sidewinder tutorial took me 3 tries to finish lol. Am I doing something wrong?

SJRB

Gold Member

EDIT: The Sidewinder tutorial took me 3 tries to finish lol. Am I doing something wrong?

No, tutorials seem a bit wonky. One of them was impossible to finish so I had to just quit out. Not to mention the tutorial only covers the absolute basics, you're better off just playing the game and finding things out as you go.

sueil

Bought this game the other day and had a rough first couple hours. Had no idea what I was doing and ended up in the middle of no where kinda lost and not having fun. Deleted that character and made a new one with the same name and followed some guides more closely. After playing a good bit today I'm sitting on 150,000 credits a good trading route and a lot more knowledge about the game. I'm looking to upgrade my hauler to a type 6 later on once I get some more trading done.

Serrato

So it's been a while since I've played, lost time overall lately, what changed since 1.0 to 1.1 mostly? did they add wings (or the party system equivalent) ?

owlbeak

Definitely do the non-combat tutorials for navigation, docking, etc. They make a huge difference in understanding how to do the stuff you'll be doing the most of.

My TrackIR start acting crazy today. It worked flawless for a week and now after a few minutes the camera starts going haywire, flickering in random directions while the light blinks. Luckily I bought it from Amazon and they are already shipping the replacement but now I'm completely accustom to having it.

Danj

So it's been a while since I've played, lost time overall lately, what changed since 1.0 to 1.1 mostly? did they add wings (or the party system equivalent) ?

No but they made the galaxy map route planner way less shit. It's so much less inconvenient for stuff like rare trading or exploring now.

Okay, I'm a little confused about system faction hostility. I've mainly been hanging around Eravate and the surrounding systems bounty hunting and smuggling stolen cargo from these bounties. Last night I tried to smuggle in some stolen cargo and turn in some bounties - busted! 15,000cr fine. No big deal, I got enough from bounties to cover that and some. I pay the fine and collect my bounties and turn off the game for the night. This morning I'm docked in that same station and it is now hostile towards me (it wasn't hostile last night). Checking the surrounding systems, it looks like every Federation faction is hostile with me, but the actual Federation isn't listed as hostile (unfriendly and moving up actually).

Is this how it is supposed to work? How do I get them back to unfriendly so they don't want to shoot me on sight? It's kinda annoying that the local security want to kill me even though I don't have a bounty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom