• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jealous with everyone right now.

The launch was at 8pm for me last night but the client download was excruciatingly slow at 0.02mbps. Didn't even have time to log in before I went to bed :(

Now I'm at work, waiting for the time to pass so I can get home and join you guys!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this artifacting on the title screen intentional or what:
igoIz4r8AcREa.png

Ronabo

Do I want this GAF? I wish this was cheaper.

Also that $400+ stick should include a visit by a hooker too.

Corgi

Banned
been just doing the tutorials and watching the youtube videos (seriously they can't embed this stuff in game?).

Game seems pretty standard for the most part... Until you do the landing and traveling tutorial.

Thats when things click that this is something special o_O

That hyperdrive effect is fantastic.

Any tips on popping out of supercruise? Can't seem to get this down right.

This game is something truly special with the Oculus Rift Dk2, I really feel like I'm in my spaceship cruising the stars... it's magical.

But I can't read shit with that resolution. I have to bend forward like I need glasses. Can't wait for the consumer version.

JambiBum

For the new players, when you go to a station and are checking out what they have for sale, be on the lookout for any items that are in gold lettering. These items are rare and unique to certain stations. They will be cheap at that station to buy and can net you a pretty penny at other places.

I bought some pearl whiskey and as I was trying to deliver it a pirate tried to murder me. I got away with 15% life :D

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
About to fire this up for the first time after going through some of the information in to OP.

For people without HOTAS, have you found a best way of controlling everything? Combo of gamepad and keyboard? Keyboard and mouse? Default bindings?

Anyone have a profile for a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick?

I was just looking at the button mapping and it's a little overwhelming.

Also, my Track IR doesn't seem to be working. Any advice for that?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't beat the Thirteenth Axman in the Incursion training. ;~;

It hits so hard, and it's so accurate.

How do you interdict other ships? Do I need to buy something?

Damnit, how did I miss that in the tips section of bounty hunting/pirating in the OP. Yea you need to buy an interdiction unit it will take up an internal utility slot where cargo space etc are. The higher the class/rating the farther away from the target you can be when you initiate an interdiction.

Can I play the entire game (menus and all) with a controller?

Game is basically DayZ in space?

Yeah the game's input systems are well done, works perfectly with anything you'd like to use. You'd obviously need to use a mouse/KB to input stuff like a name in the galaxy map and whatever.

In terms of DayZ I don't know since I haven't really played DayZ. You can interact with players in Open Play, I was pirating players in Sol a few nights ago.

Marc

Welp, that was incredibly annoying. Get some mission to kill 6 pirates in a system. Go to the system and come across a couple of pirates, kill them, all good. Run around the system for ages, come across loads of 'unknown signals' which for the most part turn out to be parts and junk left around. Then get a bunch of hits, one knocks me out of cruise speeds to attack me, great. Kill him but is a higher level than me, does a fair amount of damage. Alright, great... go hunting again and kill a couple of ships... except they don't count. Brilliant, so I am committed at this point with 4 out of 6 kills. Keep getting misses with parts left around. Get one pirate who runs away as soon as I get his shields to 50%. Then finally after like 30 mins get a pirate to kill and manage it. Ok one more, now all thise time I have taken on pirates in a group. Shoot one, only one becomes my enemy and we face off on level terms. Then on the last pirate the entire group becomes active and proceed to kill me in 2 seconds. Heh... fuck those missions, spent 95% of the time wandering around aimlessly hoping for pirates to show up.

Really don't like the mission structure, simple NAV points would be ideal. Or at least split missions into some that are just wandering around aimlessly and others with specific locations. Guess I will have to only go after small cash amounts for the moment.

On the other hand the exploring portion is fantastic, coming across a space station with a habitat ring was amazing. The detail was incredible, you can see the tree's and gardens and are shadowed. Spent a fair bit just flying around the station.

Pay is typically what denotes the difficulty. Also when you lock an npc or player it's usually smart to wait until your basic scan is done. OT will usually tell you the combat effectiveness of your target with a rating. Obviously you have to take into account the type of ship as well, but for instance of you target a viper and it reports the pilot is one of the higher rankings then you may want to hold off on that if you're just starting off.

479px-Ranks_online.jpg

Ah gotcha, wasn't that much money though, seems way tougher to get money through combat

Gaz_RB

Welp, that was incredibly annoying. Get some mission to kill 6 pirates in a system. Go to the system and come across a couple of pirates, kill them, all good. Run around the system for ages, come across loads of 'unknown signals' which for the most part turn out to be parts and junk left around. Then get a bunch of hits, one knocks me out of cruise speeds to attack me, great. Kill him but is a higher level than me, does a fair amount of damage. Alright, great... go hunting again and kill a couple of ships... except they don't count. Brilliant, so I am committed at this point with 4 out of 6 kills. Keep getting misses with parts left around. Get one pirate who runs away as soon as I get his shields to 50%. Then finally after like 30 mins get a pirate to kill and manage it. Ok one more, now all thise time I have taken on pirates in a group. Shoot one, only one becomes my enemy and we face off on level terms. Then on the last pirate the entire group becomes active and proceed to kill me in 2 seconds. Heh... fuck those missions, spent 95% of the time wandering around aimlessly hoping for pirates to show up.

Really don't like the mission structure, simple NAV points would be ideal. Or at least split missions into some that are just wandering around aimlessly and others with specific locations. Guess I will have to only go after small cash amounts for the moment.

On the other hand the exploring portion is fantastic, coming across a space station with a habitat ring was amazing. The detail was incredible, you can see the tree's and gardens and are shadowed. Spent a fair bit just flying around the station.

Ah gotcha, wasn't that much money though, seems way tougher to get money through combat

Yeah those "Kill X amount of people in this star system " missions such. I wish it was more "Go to this pirate hideout and take out this guy". Are there any fun combat missions? I guess bounty hunting is a bit different.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, getting gimballed weapons just made combat almost too easy. I'm taking on Dangerous opponents now, and my 2 pulse lasers and auto cannon just shred them in seconds.

Starviper

CMDR Starviper, add me.

Is there a quick way to get to Dalton Gateway? I travelled from the star all the way there in supercruise, took forever..

JambiBum

Yeah those "Kill X amount of people in this star system " missions such. I wish it was more "Go to this pirate hideout and take out this guy". Are there any fun combat missions? I guess bounty hunting is a bit different.

There are missions where you only have to kill one specific guy. They usually have a higher bounty and are more difficult to kill. Sometimes they are surrounded by allies and sometimes they are by themselves.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There are missions where you only have to kill one specific guy. They usually have a higher bounty and are more difficult to kill. Sometimes they are surrounded by allies and sometimes they are by themselves.

Even those operate the same way though- relying on unknown signal sources... which 75% of contain something useless that is not a mission goal.

JambiBum

Even those operate the same way though- relying on unknown signal sources... which 75% of contain something useless that is not a mission goal.

Eh. As long as a mission gives me the area to look I have no issue trying to find someone/something myself. Sometimes you can even find someone that will give you a better location to find whatever you are looking for.

Marc

Most fun I have had from combat is scanning random people and finding out they are wanted, free pass to shoot them up. Bounty is only ever like a thousand credits though so far, useless for cash but good fun.

Thinking the combat missions are weakest of the bunch, trade missions are simple go from point a to b and tend to give comparable cash for less risk. Haven't looked into exploration profiteering, not sure how that works as I have discovered some stuff but don't see how to sell it. Will need to look at that as the exploring is probably the most fun to be had, with a rift anyway.

CMDR Starviper, add me.

Is there a quick way to get to Dalton Gateway? I travelled from the star all the way there in supercruise, took forever..

Throttle all the way up? Starts off slow but you should get inertia build up pretty quick in cruise mode. Slight changes in your thrust change the speed massively. Are you doing it manually or going to the panel and targeting the station to supercruise from there?

So when plotting a route , a solid line indicates you have fuel to make the trip and a dotted line indicates when you will run out right?

Orgun

So when plotting a route , a solid line indicates you have fuel to make the trip and a dotted line indicates when you will run out right?

Yeah it means you'll have to refuel. Make sure you dont end up in a system with no stations on that last jump before the refuel point!

CMDR Sofia v. Boergersatt here. Ready to be added to your contacts. Does this thread have one of these player spreadsheets for friendslists?

Sadly, I have to return and exchange my new laptop, hence I have to wait with my second play until christmas :(

However, I lost at least three times the server connection within in 2 hours. Does this happens regulary?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Commander David Inc. hanging out of Eravati. God this game is great.
Hey I'm in Eravati too I think it at least I was there yesterday. I'm not 100 LYs from every GAFer! ^^ (Cmdr Tunesmith). Thinking of heading to Ho Shi though, that sounds like a fun idea working for Jet Comms and making a civil war.

Yeah it means you'll have to refuel. Make sure you dont end up in a system with no stations on that last jump before the refuel point!

I figured, I had to cancel my jump because everything in between was deep space and im not sure I'd find a sun to scoop from.

JambiBum

For anyone that is trying to do the hunt pirates missions, the easiest way to find them is to go to the system that you need to kill them in and find a resource extraction site. Go to it and just sit and wait for pirates to come to you. This way you don't have to look for them and hopefully the feds will help you kill them. It's a good way to rack up bounties as well.

Mik2121

I figured, I had to cancel my jump because everything in between was deep space and im not sure I'd find a sun to scoop from.

You did well. On my first try from my planet to Earth I ran out of fuel and was searching for a station or anything and there was nothing for the last 5 stars. I was so desperate, trying to find anything only to ending up having to use the escape pad and destroy my ship :(

Darklord

Banned
How often do you run into other players? Is it like EVE where there are major trade hubs of players or is it just running across a person now and then?

You did well. On my first try from my planet to Earth I ran out of fuel and was searching for a station or anything and there was nothing for the last 5 stars. I was so desperate, trying to find anything only to ending up having to use the escape pad and destroy my ship :(

So in the navigation it will tell you the classification of the star, here is a helpful guide to plan a long route and know if you can scoop from the star in the system!

diagram.jpg

Mik2121

So in the navigation it will tell you the classification of the star, here is a helpful guide to plan a long route and know if you can scoop from the star in the system!

400px-HR-diag-no-text-2.svg.png

Yeah, know about the star classification, but that guide... I just don't know how to read it, lol. What am I looking at?

Either way, I was able to reach Earth but I will definitely want to go and find more planets later on. Neither the Sidewinder nor the Eagle have space for both the scanner and the fuel scoop. Wonder what's the cheapest ship that lets you have both.

Edit: I see you changed the pic. I assume the hypergiants, supergiants and maybe some more can be scooped, but what's the actual bottom limit for scoop-able stars?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lol. I had to leave the download running overnight and then I realized I downloaded something called the combat simulator or something? So now I have to download the actual damn game, so no play time for me until maybe the weekend.

Dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom