• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Stop wasting your time popping Sidewinders and Cobras, basically. Pop into RES, see Anaconda, kill it. Pop into supercruise, pop back into RES, this resets the instance. Don't see an Anaconda or Python? Pop into supercruise, pop back into RES, rinse, repeat.

owlbeak

I took the easy way out and looked up where to buy mine on the wiki. Now the downside to that is that the station I got mine at in LHS 3447 (Dalton Gateway) was a loooooong way away from the star so I am going to regret it when I go back to get my Type-6. That one is closer to where I remember starting so I'm not sure how close to Sol that is.

Seeing everyone on here talk about doing all this stuff at Sol makes me want to get my permit. I'm wanting to get it just to see the system and to try out this Jupiter RES. I guess I should look into getting some more rank with the Federation. Does anyone have any tips or generic advice (I may have asked this a while back)? I have been running trade missions for the past few weeks so that may have worked against me if kills are needed to help trigger missions. I'm working in the conflict zone on the side that is alligned with them currently so hopefully that will help out (and crossing my fingers to see a capital ship at some point!).
I got my Federation rank up just by randomly checking the mission board, and occasionally a federation mission would be there. Didn't take long for the Sol permit mission to pop up. I'm not sure if anything in particular triggers it or not. Just do all the missions for the Federation you can find! Sol is a good system for me, great RESs, lots of stations and it's relatively close to a lot of other systems that have great benefits. And it's cool to fly around our home system and look at the in-game representation.

Are specific RES like the Jupiter one mentioned preferred over just going to a random one in a system or do they all spawn big ships eventually?
I think it's mostly random what shows up in a RES, but I've noticed more Clippers, Dropships, Anacondas and Pythons in higher populated systems. In sparsely populated systems it's mostly Sidewinders and Cobras in my experience.

Portman

Thanks for the tips on RES. I will experiment this weekend and see what I come up with. The only time I have gone into a RES was when I was near my starting area and I'm thinking I had to fly around a bit to find ships (or look for weapons fire in the distance). I'm going to stay in the conflict zones for a while to have some fun (and want to try the high intensity one) but after that I will look for a nearby RES to see if I can get lucky hunting bigger ships like those.

I will start checking the bulletin boards at stations to look for Federation jobs too. If I don't have any luck I will check with some of the stations I've operated out of for a while since I think that helps with reputation which could help out.

owlbeak

Thanks for the tips on RES. I will experiment this weekend and see what I come up with. The only time I have gone into a RES was when I was near my starting area and I'm thinking I had to fly around a bit to find ships (or look for weapons fire in the distance). I'm going to stay in the conflict zones for a while to have some fun (and want to try the high intensity one) but after that I will look for a nearby RES to see if I can get lucky hunting bigger ships like those..
Most of the ships congregate around the actual RES waypoint. So when you drop out of supercruise, head towards the marker for the RES and as you approach it, tons of ships should start popping up.

Good hunting!

Shifty76

Well poop.

Finally found a Fer-de-lance, and figured with 73m I'm be able to kit it out nicely. Nope! Even worse, the station selling it doesn't sell class 4 FSDs so I'm stuck with 7 LY jump range.

Guess I'll strip her down and see if I can get enough jump range to make it back to the nearby high tech system in the hopes that they sell class 4 FSDs.

2.5m insurance cost too - ouch.

Thinking once I can afford to upgrade everything I'll run 4 x multicannon then maybe a huge plasma accelerator or large beam laser. That should leave plenty of power for shield boosters.

Imperial Courier concept (from Newsletter):

peek_o_the_week.jpg

Enjoy it, you bourgeois scum.

New Update:

Wings Update 1.2.04 Incoming
Hi everyone,

Another quick update for you before the weekend. The servers will be down from 4PM for around 30 minutes, but allow some extra time just in case.

See the change log below:

• Fixed the stellar forge data for Te Kaha
• Moved the 'Stepping Stone Base' out from the gas giant in HIP 8396
• Fixed some issues with head-tracking, causing the camera to clip through cockpits
• Added telemetry to help identify causes of unexpected docking offences

And a server-side update:

• Claiming a bounty or combat bond for a faction should now affect Commanders' reputation
• Reduce faction influence changes from trading activities

Thanks everyone,

Ed

Thank goodness for that bolded. It was getting very annoying.

Welp, I have my Sol pass so I think the Empire can buy my loyalty with ships like that.

owlbeak

For those wondering, Anlave has Vultures for sale. I went to the first Coriolis starport and they had them...forget the name of it. It's only 3-4 jumps from Sol if you're in the vicinity.

DrBo42

peek_o_the_week.jpg

Would be cool if they actually made information running a profession. Could do some spy type missions etc.

Edit: On the other hand since NPCs aren't persistent and just spawn in on an instance basis. The idea of gaining information on fleet movements for an opposing allegiance might not work. Could have been so cool.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Ship designs are getting better and better wow.

As a reminder, Courier cockpit:

Definitely the best cockpit design for exploration/dogfight purposes. Wow the view. Cant wait till we can walk around it. FD are hitting all the right chords with each updates.

And we still have powerplay coming up..

Yeah, GREAT trailer, other than occasionally cheesy chatter (nothing near Ubi demo levels or anything, though). Entertaining and gives a good rundown of the features.

Portman

This was posted in reddit as opposing community goals, but I'm not sure if it's any more than selecting a faction-specific mission for war bonds.

I don't know anything about the community goals (is that the station stuff?) but I'm glad to see a possible large scale battle erupt. That's where I'm planning to spend some time this weekend (flew there last night) and I'm hoping for a capital ship appearance which sounds likely based on that.

Shifty76

Good lord the vulture is OP for the price. Now to find another nice RES to hunt in.

Not even bothering with shield boosters or shield cell banks as it's so easy to stick behind targets.

kvk1

Playing around ED Shipyard it looks like the Vulture has the same power management problems as the Viper? You can't really "have it all" in terms of modules without some serious compromises.

It totally makes sense, but the kid inside me wants to kit everything to the brim and get away with it.

I want the cake, and to eat it.

;_;

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Playing around ED Shipyard it looks like the Vulture has the same power management problems as the Viper? You can't really "have it all" in terms of modules without some serious compromises.

It totally makes sense, but the kid inside me wants to kit everything to the brim and get away with it.

I want the cake, and to eat it.

;_;

Yea it took quite a bit of module juggling to keep my life support running with my guns out, lol.

Ooft, started a fresh save, wanted a wipe when getting back into it. Made 160k from just a "Kill 6 pirates mission". Not bad really.

Also, it's amusing when the fine you get for carrying illegal goods into a station is dwarfed by the profits from that station's black market. Felt like I should have been revoked the landing privileges.

Ooft, started a fresh save, wanted a wipe when getting back into it. Made 160k from just a "Kill 6 pirates mission". Not bad really.

Also, it's amusing when the fine you get for carrying illegal goods into a station is dwarfed by the profits from that station's black market. Felt like I should have been revoked the landing privileges.

All this time I've been silent running to get in with illegal goods
You're telling me I can just pay a small fine and NOT get shot at or something?

JoeMartin

Dying with 1.2m in bounties because I rammed an asteroid hidden in the shadow of another asteroid at full speed.

WHY DID I GO TO THE RES ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE PLANET.

All this time I've been silent running to get in with illegal goods
You're telling me I can just pay a small fine and NOT get shot at or something?

I think it'd depend on what you're smuggling. I only had 2 things in my cargohold, so it's; very likely that I just got lucky. If you're smuggling a ton of stuff, I don't think they'd be quite as lenient.

Getting a large fixed beam and large plasma accelerator on this Vulture is a challenge. I want more power! I think I'll have to juggle modules in combat

Alright I have it figured out. I turn the beam on and off if I want to use the plasma accelerator. It's a pain but it works

Agremont

^Nice shots.

Man you can earn a lot of dough bounty hunting around nav beacons since the last update. Maybe I can afford an Asp soon and go exploring the galaxy for real.

owlbeak

Dying with 1.2m in bounties because I rammed an asteroid hidden in the shadow of another asteroid at full speed.

WHY DID I GO TO THE RES ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE PLANET.
Same just happened to me. XD

I usually try to avoid it, but I was there so long it ended up being dark. Shields got dropped by an Anaconda, full reverse + thrust up. BOOM. Asteroid. Lost ~1.5m :[

Time to go back in! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom