• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

I love the Vulture. It's just fun to fly. I don't think the beam/plasma accelerator are the best combo but it's definitely fun.
Dual beam is strong. Terrible vs subsystems, but when it cuts through hulls so quick who cares. Off to Cemiess now to drive more pirates out of the system.

Portman

Dual beam is strong. Terrible vs subsystems, but when it cuts through hulls so quick who cares. Off to Cemiess now to drive more pirates out of the system.

When you say dual beam which specific weapons do you mean? I have a class 3 beam laser and a class 2 cannon at the moment and I was wanting to try a second beam laser but I didn't think it could mange to power them. Are you using class 2 beams or something else?

I'm having a lot of fun in the Lugh system working on the community goals! Once I looked in the bulletin board last night I saw what was meant by community goal and I've signed up and am working to contribute. I've also gotten a Federation progression mission (or at least I think it was although the cargo wasn't illegal which seemed strange based on what I've read) which makes me hope all of this combat will help me climb the ranks a bit too if the recent patch notes meant that it counts towards progression.

Shifty76

When you say dual beam which specific weapons do you mean? I have a class 3 beam laser and a class 2 cannon at the moment and I was wanting to try a second beam laser but I didn't think it could mange to power them. Are you using class 2 beams or something else?

I'm having a lot of fun in the Lugh system working on the community goals! Once I looked in the bulletin board last night I saw what was meant by community goal and I've signed up and am working to contribute. I've also gotten a Federation progression mission (or at least I think it was although the cargo wasn't illegal which seemed strange based on what I've read) which makes me hope all of this combat will help me climb the ranks a bit too if the recent patch notes meant that it counts towards progression.

2 x class 3 fixed beam. Class 2 would be a waste of a class 3 slot. Ditch shield boosters & scb to have the required power. They're absolutely not needed.

Portman

2 x class 3 fixed beam. Class 2 would be a waste of a class 3 slot. Ditch shield boosters & scb to have the required power. They're absolutely not needed.

Thanks! I will try this out and see how it does. At first I thought the beam wasn't doing that much but as I've paid attention it does decent damage and doesn't burn up the capacitor like I thought it did. Plus I had started out with a shield booster but I see the benefit of passing up that pose draw (plus the shields will recharge faster if my memory is correct).

Is there a reason you aren't used a C3 Cannon?

I used a C3 Beam and C3 Cannon for awhile, even with a rating C power plant/distributer it's more than enough. Made about 3m credits in an RES before I ran out of ammo.

Shifty76

Heh, just made around 500k in about 13 mins in my favourite RES. Big ships galore. Will upload the vid overnight as my upload speed blows.

Love love love this vulture!

I was thinking, one thing this game really needs is an in-game music player built into the ship UI. Alt-tabbing to switch songs totally breaks immersion for me. It would help out VR folks as well.

Portman

Is there a reason you aren't used a C3 Cannon?

I used a C3 Beam and C3 Cannon for awhile, even with a rating C power plant/distributer it's more than enough. Made about 3m credits in an RES before I ran out of ammo.

At the time I either couldn't find one or it was due to the shield booster I had installed using to much power. I went with the canon while I was experimenting and was trying to do a mixture of energy and kinetic weapons.

So far the dual C3 beams are working great. I can't wait to test it with other players and see if it helps bring down ships quicker.

Jedi2016

The vulture is so effing awesome, I dread the inevitable nerf.
Well, as long as they get it sorted by the time I make it back to civilization. I should have enough from exploration to buy a dedicated combat ship at that point. No idea which one yet, though.

Danj

Heh, just made around 500k in about 13 mins in my favourite RES. Big ships galore. Will upload the vid overnight as my upload speed blows.

Love love love this vulture!

How much is the Vulture nevermind, I see it's just under 5 million, and is it better for combat than say an upgraded Cobra?

I have a Cobra that I put a lot of money into, I'd like to start using it for combat now that there's money to be made, is that a viable proposition or do
I need a better ship?

Just got my ass kicked a bunch, clearly I need a better ship if I want to do combat, is the Vulture a good choice or is there something better I should be saving up for? 5 million's definitely an achievable target (about 3 loops of my rare trading circuit).

StonedRider

Started the trip to the center of the Galaxy, but after 5000 ly suddenly understood that if i will ever reach the center, the only option for me to come back will be suicide. After 1000th system exploration becomes tedious and not funny. Shame on me!
So, I decided to come back and try new toys.

What does Shield Booster do exactly? What is the difference between it and SCB?

How much is the Vulture nevermind, I see it's just under 5 million, and is it better for combat than say an upgraded Cobra?

I have a Cobra that I put a lot of money into, I'd like to start using it for combat now that there's money to be made, is that a viable proposition or do
I need a better ship?

Just got my ass kicked a bunch, clearly I need a better ship if I want to do combat, is the Vulture a good choice or is there something better I should be saving up for? 5 million's definitely an achievable target (about 3 loops of my rare trading circuit).
The vulture can take down pythons and anacondas at RESs without care, definitely worth the money.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Went into an RES last night with my poorman's viper (been so long since i played due to school). I really like the bounty rewards upgrade they did, it was the main problem i had with the game since release, i got burned down trading in the betas and just wanted to fight, but it was not paying much. Everything changed now :eek:

I'll work towards a vulture whenever i have time, but damn it looks like a sexy beast from everything i've seen.

Oh and seriously, the sound designer for this game are killing it, ED is by far the best sounding game out at this moment.

Shifty76

I need a better ship?

Keep in mind that the components for it will run you an additional 15m or so, but yes, I'd say the vulture is one of the best combat ships in the game.

JoeMartin

Outside of a Vulture I'm easily most successful with the Eagle. A fully equipped Eagle can solo everything with relative ease (Anaconda's can be a little tricky, just requires careful piloting and good timing on destroying engines so it doesn't get an unfortunate spin).

While grinding for Vulture in RES's, I ran 3 fixed multicannons and cleared between 500k-1m in bounties in a single ammo load.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
As promised here's that vid of some bounty hunting in the vulture. Just over 500k in around 13 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gPaxShjM4&feature=youtu.be

Really nice, and to top it off, you killed this guy

360_10Q_1212.jpg

DrBo42

What does Shield Booster do exactly? What is the difference between it and SCB?

The booster adds a multiplier value to your shields, bolstering it. I hope I used that word right. Anyway multiple boosters can stack. The major downside is that it keeps your shields in a constant state of recharge so when your shields go down completely, they take forever to reform completely. Think of the SCB as a specific module with its own power source that once activated, shifts all of its power into the shields to recharge them. Does not work when shields are offline.

StonedRider

The booster adds a multiplier value to your shields, bolstering it. I hope I used that word right. Anyway multiple boosters can stack. The major downside is that it keeps your shields in a constant state of recharge so when your shields go down completely, they take forever to reform completely. Think of the SCB as a specific module with its own power source that once activated, shifts all of its power into the shields to recharge them. Does not work when shields are offline.

So, Shield Booster is permanent and does not need to be activated? Does it mean that C5 (for example) shield with a few boosters could have the same capacity as B5? And the only difference will be recharge time?

Jedi2016

I wouldn't bother using it to try to save money in that way, I'd rather use them to make a Class-A shield even stronger. And then combine it with a Cell Bank. Who needs hull upgrades when nothing can breach your shields?

DrBo42

So, Shield Booster is permanent and does not need to be activated? Does it mean that C5 (for example) shield with a few boosters could have the same capacity as B5? And the only difference will be recharge time?

It is always active unless disabled in the modules section. Not sure about the math on B5 -> C5 but you have the right idea on how it works. You might need to theorycraft the specifics.

DrBo42

Started fighting on the dark side of a planet in an RES (you know where this is going) and nearly met my demise with an asteroid. Was drifting towards an Anaconda in FA off mode and an asteroid just flies past my screen horizontally. Prox alarms screaming. I nearly pissed myself. Never again.

Edit: Shortly after that a 230k Anaconda blew out my cockpit mid fight. Made it back to Columbus station with 0:20s left of oxygen. Nearly lost all this:

D8BAA697B9BDA84E64678162D9FCBAA49E06D90A

Lagamorph

So I picked this up yesterday and finally got to playing today, starting with the training.

And I'm wondering....when does it actually get fun?

I'll give the makers this.
It takes balls to make a game where the controls are the exact opposite of fun and combine that with a ship that can't manoeuvre for shit while the AI runs literal circles around you.

Elite game makers said:
Shall we put in any in-game tutorials or anything?

Nah, just link to Youtube from within the game. That'll be fine

The ability to actually fucking TURN would be nice. I know there's the Yaw control, but calling that 'turning' is like calling Hitler not all that bad.

So far, I'm feeling pretty ripped off at the £40 price of entry.

StonedRider

The ability to actually fucking TURN would be nice. I know there's the Yaw control, but calling that 'turning' is like calling Hitler not all that bad.

You have maximum agility when your current speed is in the blue zone. If you are too slow or too fast your ship turns much slower.
You need Yaw for fine tuning only (while aiming, docking, etc.), for fast turns use Roll + Pitch.

bj00rn_

Banned
So I picked this up yesterday and finally got to playing today, starting with the training.

It takes balls to make a game where the controls are the exact opposite of fun and combine that with a ship that can't manoeuvre for shit while the AI runs literal circles around you.

There's a lot of room for criticism in this thread, even those of us who enjoy the game criticize it here.. But if you genuinely want help to get into the game remember that attitude also often dictates the type of response you get..

An analogy for this game would be Dark Souls in Space (no further comparison). What I mean is, if you invest nothing, outside or inside the game, no investment often means no return. When it comes to controls, I have plucked down over 1000 wanted ships in the game, and most of them have been on the easy side. The way you turn the game's physics and options AND upgrades to your advantage is key here. Point is, in this game (again; much like Dark Souls) you need to invest, explore, research and upgrade to enjoy it. If you have a short attention span, the game may not be for you.

..not to mention the game's controls are designed for HOTAS control, and head tracking.. Or VR for that matter..

There are lots of tutorials on youtube for this game, that would be a good start..

owlbeak

Picked up my Vulture Friday night and headed to Lugh from Sol to fight for the Federation. The Vulture is an amazing ship. It is so damn maneuverable, it's fantastic. The only downside is speed (and cost of Class 3 weapons and Class 3+ internals), it's significantly slower than the Viper and it's tough to catch up to someone in a Viper or Cobra that's running away. Generally, they don't get to run away though. :)

And last night I grouped up in a wing with some other Federation pilots in the conflict zone and spent all night fighting with them. It was the first time I've used the features introduced in the Wings update, and I was really impressed. Having all that information about who in your wing is targeting who and being able to see everyone's shield and hull strength is great. Also, the filters they put on the voice com is really nice and adds to the immersion. Having the little NASA *beep* when someone's mic cuts off is a nice touch, as well as the static and little things.

Can't get enough of this game!

owlbeak

If you are trying to use YAW to turn, you're not doing anything right. Yaw is for aim adjustment on a horizontal axis. To turn, you need to roll and pitch. That is, if you want to turn left, roll left and pitch the nose of your ship up. Have you played space sims or flight sims before? This game has a lot of nuance. You also have vertical and horizontal thrusters that can speed your turns even faster. There are a lot of video tutorials for this game, take some time to watch them and get to know how to play before you dive in.

LeBart

Man, I thought getting to the top 70% spot in Lugh would be easy... I'm just above 200K in combat bonds and still only eligible for the 70K reward.

I could really use the 5 millions...

owlbeak

Man, I thought getting to the top 70% spot in Lugh would be easy... I'm just above 200K in combat bonds and still only eligible for the 70K reward.

I could really use the 5 millions...
Doesn't take much. I have 605,000 Credits toward the goal and I'm in the top 70%.

owlbeak

Speaking of combat bonds, how much were they increased too in the last patch?
It used to be 3,000 per kill I believe. I was in a wing with 2 other players and I was getting between 3,000-12,000 depending on the ship. Of course, that was my cut of a 3-way split, so they are significantly higher.

I tried going to Lugh yesterday and it was a charnel house. One zone was full of feddy players, another was full of crimson. Not even worth being there and I ended up losing my Vulture as soon as I showed my feddy colors in the crimson zone.

Portman

As promised here's that vid of some bounty hunting in the vulture. Just over 500k in around 13 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gPaxShjM4&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video! After watching it I'm going to try out some of the stuff I saw you doing to see if that helps out on my hunting. I saw that you were targeting subsystems (power for example) and seemed to be aiming for them or just when it was possible to hit them. Does it do better to focus on those subsystems or just fire at them as an added bonus? After seeing you get those Pythons quickly using beam lasers I'm telling myself it isn't impossible to hit a sub system with a fixed weapon like I thought it was.

I saw that you had a point defense turret on your ship. Are those worth having just as a safety measure if they don't have a high drain on the ship systems? I haven't seen any missile fire since I started playing the game in a RES so I wasn't sure if they were just extra insurance or something worth having at all times.

Random shield question which might be dumb and I apologize if it is but searching hasn't given me a definite answer. Now that I've been in combat again I've noticed that sometimes when my shields take damage that the capacitor on that side will deplete after a bit (I leave it on 1 pip normally). Is that from the shield being recharged back up to full strength and does having more power in the capacitor help the shield reach full strength quicker? I've seen it mentioned that they are stronger with full pips and I remember from my Sidewinder that the recharge from depleted process would go faster with a full capacitor but it doesn't seem to have an effect in my Vulture.

It seems like more money can be made in the RES as people are pointing out so I will find one to head to once the Lugh event (is that the correct term?) is over. Even though I can make more there I'm gaining flight and combat skill from all these sorties that I've been going on.

Wreav

Banned
I tried going to Lugh yesterday and it was a charnel house. One zone was full of feddy players, another was full of crimson. Not even worth being there and I ended up losing my Vulture as soon as I showed my feddy colors in the crimson zone.

That sums up my first experience there. Jumped to ETA Crucis and have been farming the RES, getting some upgrades on my Vulture.

Pomerlaw

You can't turn in this game. Devs just forgot to add the option. You should ask for a refund. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom