• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

I got yaw on my rudder pedals. It's getting really cumbersome though.

It's fine for civil aviation simulators where the yaw movement is intermittent, slow, and smooth, but a total hustle and struggle doing space pew-pew where you're using it more and need increased speed and change of direction.

I kind of wish the CH products had yaw on the joystick itself.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd say it's about a 3x increase across the board.

I actually haven't played any Elite with the updates (Cities Skylines has me hooked) but they said that exploration rewards were boosted too. Anyone know by how much?

Roll is just regular stick motion, yaw is the twist axis on the stick.

word. not all sticks have twist, though. hence the question.

I got yaw on my rudder pedals. It's getting really cumbersome though.

It's fine for civil aviation simulators where the yaw movement is intermittent, slow, and smooth, but a total hustle and struggle doing space pew-pew where you're using it more and need increased speed and change of direction.

I kind of wish the CH products had yaw on the joystick itself.

i see.

espher

Thrustmaster TFlight HOTAS is a great budget option ($US45ish) if you can find it.

I'm using a T16000m, also by TM which is more readily available and is slightly cheaper.

Just wanted to pop by to say thanks for the recommendation and that I ended up going for the X52 Pro. The T-Fight was CAD$55 on amazon.ca, but the cable is only 19" and I have a Gen 1 Logitech G15 which is 21" wide, so it wouldn't let me flank my keyboard. I looked at the T1600m, but it's actually listed at CAD$60, so I started shopping around and saw that I could snag the X52 (regular) for CAD$130... and then noted the Pro was up for CAD$147ish and opted for it considering where it was at relative to other manufacturers' stuff and the price point at other vendors.

I hope I do not regret that decision. ;)

Faith

Started fighting on the dark side of a planet in an RES (you know where this is going) and nearly met my demise with an asteroid. Was drifting towards an Anaconda in FA off mode and an asteroid just flies past my screen horizontally. Prox alarms screaming. I nearly pissed myself. Never again.

Edit: Shortly after that a 230k Anaconda blew out my cockpit mid fight. Made it back to Columbus station with 0:20s left of oxygen. Nearly lost all this:

D8BAA697B9BDA84E64678162D9FCBAA49E06D90A
That's pretty nice! Which ship and how long?

Gold Member
Yaw is the stick twist, Roll is obviously left/right on the stick.
I love the twist yaw on my HOTAS, it feels so natural for slight adjustments when coming out of a roll. I really need to get back into this again, not played the latest update yet as I've been too distracted lately.

Shifty76

I'd say it's about a 3x increase across the board.
Condor: 2k
Eagle: 4k
Cobra: 8k
Viper: 10k
Asp: 14k (I think)
Vulture: 18k
Dropship: 24k (I think)
Python: 28k
Anaconda: 32k

Something like that anyway. I'm fighting for Crimson state and am at top 15% so far with 3m or so claimed (just started it yesterday)

@Portman: Absolutely it is worth targeting subsystems. I actually switched out a beam for gimballed pulse which deals decent subsystem dmg. Most large ships now die at 35% or so hull. Projectile weapons are even better, but I'm lazy and hate having to re-arm.

DrBo42

Something like that anyway. I'm fighting for Crimson state and am at top 15% so far with 3m or so claimed (just started it yesterday)

@Portman: Absolutely it is worth targeting subsystems. I actually switched out a beam for gimballed pulse which deals decent subsystem dmg. Most large ships now die at 35% or so hull. Projectile weapons are even better, but I'm lazy and hate having to re-arm.

I roll 3 canons on my Python and I'll say that the projectile weapons, while extremely effective, only have a certain % chance to breach the hull and hit the targeted subsystem.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
On my Vulture with gimballed pulse cannons I take down Anaconda's when they are at 45 - 60% hull by going for the power plant.

bj00rn_

Banned

Are prices different for different people? I just came back from hunting in the Jupiter RESs and the Anacondas were around 120-130K each, Pythons perhaps 70K..

owlbeak

I love the twist yaw on my HOTAS, it feels so natural for slight adjustments when coming out of a roll. I really need to get back into this again, not played the latest update yet as I've been too distracted lately.
It's the best. I can't imagine playing and having to use foot pedals. I have a bizarre setup though. Bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, but the joystick absolutely sucks after using my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the last who knows how many years. So I ditched the T-Flight stick and just use the throttle portion with the 3D Pro and it's SO much better.

I tried to get used to the T-Flight stick for a few weeks but it was impossible to make small adjustments. It was like the stick met resistance when pushing left/right and then it would "thud" into the next "section" of movement. 3D Pro is so so smooth and wonderful! :)

But I love the throttle on the T-Flight, the paddle on the back is fantastic for lateral thrust. Being able to easily be controlling throttle, vertical thrust and lateral thrust all at the same time with different fingers makes you a VERY formidable opponent in combat.

Gold Member
It's the best. I can't imagine playing and having to use foot pedals. I have a bizarre setup though. Bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, but the joystick absolutely sucks after using my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the last who knows how many years. So I ditched the T-Flight stick and just use the throttle portion with the 3D Pro and it's SO much better.

I tried to get used to the T-Flight stick for a few weeks but it was impossible to make small adjustments. It was like the stick met resistance when pushing left/right and then it would "thud" into the next "section" of movement. 3D Pro is so so smooth and wonderful! :)

But I love the throttle on the T-Flight, the paddle on the back is fantastic for lateral thrust. Being able to easily be controlling throttle, vertical thrust and lateral thrust all at the same time with different fingers makes you a VERY formidable opponent in combat.
I don't have anything to compare it to really this is the first stick I have bought since the '90's but I really like it. I completely agree about the throttle back buttons too, I also use them for lateral thrust and use the ones next to it for vertical. Really handy in the stations!!

Portman

Dang, I was patting myself on the back and I have 3 days of work to the level you've already gotten in a day! I had used projectile weapons but I agree on the re-arm thing and after having these beam lasers for a while it would be hard to go back.

On my Vulture with gimballed pulse cannons I take down Anaconda's when they are at 45 - 60% hull by going for the power plant.

Hmm after seeing both of you mention a gimbaled weapon that answers the question I was going to ask. Now I guess I need to investigate which works best, swapping both of my beams or just one. I'm leaning towards one since it seems like the beam brings down the shields faster.

Wreav

Banned
Gonna be honest with you guys, this whole Lugh rewards system is shit.

You're far better off making your 5 million the easy way, i.e. RES combat.

Shifty76

How do I know where to buy goods? I just got a mission to buy 3 units of tea and have no idea where to go.

Agricultural worlds are generally a good place to look. Go to your galaxy map and filter systems to find one near you.

@DrBo: Tried Leesti? They have most things from what I recall.

Jedi2016

One combination I've never seen is Class 2 gimballed burst lasers. They've got Class 1 and Class 3, but I've never seen a Class 2.

owlbeak

I don't have anything to compare it to really this is the first stick I have bought since the '90's but I really like it. I completely agree about the throttle back buttons too, I also use them for lateral thrust and use the ones next to it for vertical. Really handy in the stations!!
Yeah, it's great! I actually use two of the thumb buttons for vertical thrust, but it's all the same. :D

DrBo42

After playing a bit with it, I'm not sure I like E3 bursts over whatever class 2 beam lasers I had. I want to take advantage of the large hardpoints but I don't think these are cutting it.

I need some advice, I currently have a really upgraded Hauler. It has been really good for trading. Is it even worth upgrading too an Adder?

My second question is I want to pick up a fighter ship,and I'm not sure if I should get an Eagle or a Viper. I tried looking it up but it seems like there were some nerfs / changes since then (from mid to late last year). What do you guys think of the Eagle vs the Viper for bounties or just combat in general?

owlbeak

After playing a bit with it, I'm not sure I like E3 bursts over whatever class 2 beam lasers I had. I want to take advantage of the large hardpoints but I don't think these are cutting it.
The pulse lasers, in general, are pretty crappy. I stay away from them as they just don't seem to do much damage.

My second question is I want to pick up a fighter ship,and I'm not sure if I should get an Eagle or a Viper. I tried looking it up but it seems like there were some nerfs / changes since then (from mid to late last year). What do you guys think of the Eagle vs the Viper for bounties or just combat in general?
Viper Viper Viper! Fantastic ship. The eagle is super maneuverable, but once the shield goes down it's about as weak as wet toilet paper.

Kiyoshi

Gonna be honest with you guys, this whole Lugh rewards system is shit.

You're far better off making your 5 million the easy way, i.e. RES combat.

It's not about the money grind for everyone though. Yes we all want to make money, but combat zones are an alternative to RES or nav beacon combat because they play out differently. It's all about the variation for me. The community goal and the reward tiers are cool; it's nice to have a little target to work towards (not just from a cash flow point of view, but as a personal quest). Gotta do what I can to keep the game interesting by trying different things. I'm not going to disregard the community goal straight out of hand just because there is an alternative way to make more money.

I've just gone over into the top 70% with 246,000 credits earned - working for the Crimson State. If I stay in this band that's a cool 5mil, which is a great bonus but not the main driver for doing the mission. I'll be doing my bit against the feds and having fun doing so!

I've just gone over into the top 70% with 246,000 credits earned - working for the Crimson State. If I stay in this band that's a cool 5mil, which is a great bonus but not the main driver for doing the mission. I'll be doing my bit against the feds and having fun doing so!

Crimson scum! Lugh for Equality Party reigns supreme!

*deploys hardpoints*

;)

Fed lap-dog! ;)

Haha, love it :)

Tried out my first wing with a friend last night, it worked really well. We were both in Lugh already so after a quick rendezvous we frame-locked over to the conflict zones. All very smooth: in-range frame shift is automatic, it's easy to highlight and go for targets together, receive bounty payments, etc.

One question which might have already cropped up: is the wing range for a jump set by the max range of the ship which sets the jump, or is it limited by the ship with the lowest jump range within the wing?

owlbeak

It's not about the money grind for everyone though. Yes we all want to make money, but combat zones are an alternative to RES or nav beacon combat because they play out differently. It's all about the variation for me. The community goal and the reward tiers are cool; it's nice to have a little target to work towards (not just from a cash flow point of view, but as a personal quest). Gotta do what I can to keep the game interesting by trying different things. I'm not going to disregard the community goal straight out of hand just because there is an alternative way to make more money.

Totally agree. I like participating in events and having a goal, not just grinding money, so I am loving fighting for the Federation in the battle for Lugh.

Also..... you rebel scum!!! :)

owlbeak

Made it to the top 40% currently in the Lugh rewards. And Federation bumped up to the 8th tier, so rewards have increased!

Top 5% - 20,000,000
Top 15% - 15,000,000
Top 40% - 12,500,000
Top 70% - 6,000,000
Top 100% - 80,000

Made it to the top 40% currently in the Lugh rewards. And Federation bumped up to the 8th tier, so rewards have increased!

Top 5% - 20,000,000
Top 15% - 15,000,000
Top 40% - 12,500,000
Top 70% - 6,000,000
Top 100% - 80,000

How much have you banked to get yourself into the top 40%?

Shifty76

2,605,000cr

That was as of last night and it was still Tier 7. Hopefully still in the top 40% when I get home.

Edit: A user on Reddit is in the top 15% with 5,124,338cr.
I have around 4m and am top 15% too. I'm fighting for Crimson though - not sure if that makes a difference.

How do I scroll through chat targets? All I can select is local. Some guy messaged me in a conflict zone and I couldn't figure out how to respond.

owlbeak

I have around 4m and am top 15% too. I'm fighting for Crimson though - not sure if that makes a difference.

How do I scroll through chat targets? All I can select is local. Some guy messaged me in a conflict zone and I couldn't figure out how to respond.
If you type /R in the chat box it will reply to the last CMDR who messaged you. /L sets you back to local chat. /T sends a message to your selected target. /W talks to your wing.

SLV

The keyboard has started to do weird regional stuff inside the game, ingame it detects a different layout, but when i alt tab, i have the usual qwerty layout.... wtf, should i change my region settings to US or something for it to be fine ingame ?
Fucking hell, i checked my keyboards, the Latvian one is QWERTY, and it is the only Latvian keyboard that is enabled, i tried launching the game again, it still is fucked up, i get buttons for various things like Š, Č, Ē, etc. And whe i press ] for example, in game it is H, i have no idea what caused all this, cant use voice attack because of this no more, i play with a hotas.

I cant google anything like this for anyone else :( I would have figured a lot of people in different speaking countries would have had the same issue ....

Portman

I went to a nearby system to find a RES and did a bit of bounty hunting after seeing the increased income. I did make a decent amount but the one that I found was a 5 minute travel from the star so I might wait a while before I commit to them. I tried to find one in Lugh but either I've forgotten how to find them or they must not show up near ice rings. I did have some missiles shot at me while in the RES so I see the benefit of a point defense turret now too.

I never saw any bigger ships at the RES I visited beyond Cobras. I remember seeing a few pages back where it was mentioned that restarting to the main menu and logging back in resets the instance which could spawn Pythons and Anacondas. Does that work in any RES or just specific ones (the post was in reference to RES located at Jupiter)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom