• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

Would love to have the ability to purchase or "build", by gathering the required materials, bases in asteroids or elsewhere in space wherever you wanted to be able to store your own ships and cargo.

Shifty76

It's a combat ship that's shit at combat. The weapon hardpoints are spread too far apart and it turns like a pig.

Frankly the dropship is a giant POS.
Eh? The hardpoints on the dropship are among the tightest in the game. Tons of power too, so 5 x railgun setup is extremely viable.

Clipper hardpoints are the horribly spaced ones.

Speaking of clipper, with that FDL price drop plus bounty pay increases I think it's time to trade in the old girl for a shiny new FDL. Anyone know of any stations selling them in Empire space? Thinking 1 x huge plasma accelerator or large beam paired with 4 x fixed multicannon.

owlbeak

Anyone know if any of the stations in Sol sell the Vulture? I am home and ready to hunt. :D

Edit: also holy shit the increased bounties are awesome. So much easier to make money! :)

owlbeak

I heard 13k for sidewinders?
Depends on the skill level. I killed a Sidewinder for 12k and another for 3k. But Clippers were giving me 75-90k, Cobras 35-50k. Didn't encounter an Anaconda or Python with a wanted level yet, but I imagine it's 100-120k+

DrBo42

Depends on the skill level. I killed a Sidewinder for 12k and another for 3k. But Clippers were giving me 75-90k, Cobras 35-50k. Didn't encounter an Anaconda or Python with a wanted level yet, but I imagine it's 100-120k+

Pythons have been around 80-100k for me. Condas from 120-200k.

Pollux

So, I really want to get this because it looks like everything I've wanted in a game since I was a kid. However, I don't want to buy a joystick for another week or so. Is it possible to play this game with the keyboard/mouse for a week or so? If yes, how are the keyboard and mouse controls?

So, I really want to get this because it looks like everything I've wanted in a game since I was a kid. However, I don't want to buy a joystick for another week or so. Is it possible to play this game with the keyboard/mouse for a week or so? If yes, how are the keyboard and mouse controls?

Honestly, I'd wait. It's a different experience with proper HOTAS.

Repo Man

Honestly, I'd wait. It's a different experience with proper HOTAS.

Each to their own... I personally like the mouse + keyboard controls but do note I haven't tried HOTAS purely because I just don't have the desk space to run a decent HOTAS stick thingy and a mouse and keyboard so setting it all up just for one game is a bit cumbersome to say the least.

Mouse & KB has served me alright so far, haven't had to engage in proper combat yet but the basic flight controls are very satisfying and after a bit of practice they make perfect sense to a point where you'll never want to look back!. Also as you'd expect, everything can be remapped to your personal taste.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Holy crap the Vulture is a beast. I had no idea the gulf in damage between medium and large weapons was so big.

With 2 gimballed pulse lasers I just dropped an elite Anaconda in the time it used to take my Viper to drop a Sidewinder.

I'm in love.

kvk1

OK, the bounties are unreal.

So much so that I might just sell my Type 7 and pack it in for trading all together.

Sinatar

Where are you guys finding these crazy bounties? I'm at a resource extraction site and I'm getting 5k for a sidwinder and 30k for a cobra tops? It actually feels worse then when I stopped playing back in pre 1.1.

First time I've played in ages (was waiting on the wings update to drop) and it's still as frustrating as ever.
Racked up 700K in bounties in an RES only for the system authority to flip out and start attacking me while I was just sitting there admiring a view. Got murdered by a 10 strong viper/eagle death squad. Am I not allowed to enjoy the scenery?

Pollux

Fuck it, I bit. Downloading now and ordered the joystick off Amazon. I'll deal with KB/M for a few days until that gets here.

DrBo42

Where are you guys finding these crazy bounties? I'm at a resource extraction site and I'm getting 5k for a sidwinder and 30k for a cobra tops? It actually feels worse then when I stopped playing back in pre 1.1.

Jupiter is my go to RES. I'd say quit to Main Menu and log back in if you aren't getting Pythons and Anacondas. Reloads the instance.

Fuck it, I bit. Downloading now and ordered the joystick off Amazon. I'll deal with KB/M for a few days until that gets here.

Welcome aboard.

I'm at the Extraction point at Dakvar collecting towards Tanmark community event. Tons of Anacondas, Pythons, Drop Ships and Clippers.

Pollux

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, did a little of the combat trainer while the main game is downloading and I can easily see why people would prefer the joystick. The mouse is frustrating, but that's probably because I'm new and I would also be frustrated with the joystick.

Also, the game looks amazing. Can't wait to get out and start exploring systems and shit.

DrBo42

Thanks, did a little of the combat trainer while the main game is downloading and I can easily see why people would prefer the joystick. The mouse is frustrating, but that's probably because I'm new and I would also be frustrated with the joystick.

Also, the game looks amazing. Can't wait to get out and start exploring systems and shit.

I think the biggest thing to learn in terms of controlling the ship is that the center of the blue portion of the throttle is where your maneuverability is at its max. You also need 4 pips into ENG to max it out. Power and heat balancing is very important. They just added recently that unless your WEP is at 4 pips, the heat from your weapon fire will bleed into the ship and possibly cause damage if you go over a set heat %.

Askani

Man, I cannot beat that last combat mission in the combat tutorial. I get to about wave 4 or 5 and get decimated. I'm going to move on and dink around in the main game and come back to it. Very frustrating.

Pollux

I think the biggest thing to learn in terms of controlling the ship is that the center of the blue portion of the throttle is where your maneuverability is at its max. You also need 4 pips into ENG to max it out. Power and heat balancing is very important. They just added recently that unless your WEP is at 4 pips, the heat from your weapon fire will bleed into the ship and possibly cause damage if you go over a set heat %.

Good to know.

I think I just spent 30 minutes working on take off, landing, and jumping between the training station and the other training station. The landing is intense as hell since you can't just swoop in until you've got a very good idea at what you're doing.

The 2nd training station was a big sphere looking thing, how do you know what side the entrance to the hanger is on?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Man, I cannot beat that last combat mission in the combat tutorial. I get to about wave 4 or 5 and get decimated. I'm going to move on and dink around in the main game and come back to it. Very frustrating.

Thats almost normal, that mission is very hard (from memories at least)

Dont sweat it, go play the main game :)

Shifty76

Holy crap the Vulture is a beast. I had no idea the gulf in damage between medium and large weapons was so big.

With 2 gimballed pulse lasers I just dropped an elite Anaconda in the time it used to take my Viper to drop a Sidewinder.

I'm in love.
Why gimballed? Vulture is plenty agile enough to keep a target in your sights. Giving up a ton of dmg potential too.

DrBo42

Good to know.

I think I just spent 30 minutes working on take off, landing, and jumping between the training station and the other training station. The landing is intense as hell since you can't just swoop in until you've got a very good idea at what you're doing.

The 2nd training station was a big sphere looking thing, how do you know what side the entrance to the hanger is on?

Hmm. Big sphere? The crazy cube thing always has a docking port on the face rotating counter-clockwise. As for the Ocellus and Orbis stations it's the end without all the pods/attachments.

Edit: Yeah, what Shifty said.

Shifty76

Good to know.

3 ways:
1. When facing the entrance the station will be spinning counter clockwise. Just watch the axis of rotation and it's easy to tell.
2. Entrance always faces the planet the station is orbiting.
3. Target the station and look at the station image on your HUD. It'll have arrows pointing towards the entrance.

Sinatar

Why gimballed? Vulture is plenty agile enough to keep a target in your sights. Giving up a ton of dmg potential too.

The damage difference isn't that large (was 20% in the beta, not sure if that's still true), and I'd argue that being able to shoot them at almost any angle (as the weapon mounts on the vulture are brilliantly placed) allows you to land more fire and do more damage overall.

DrBo42

The damage difference isn't that large (was 20% in the beta, not sure if that's still true), and I'd argue that being able to shoot them at almost any angle (as the weapon mounts on the vulture are brilliantly placed) allows you to land more fire and do more damage overall.

I generally agree with this. Landing more shots consistently will always trump the fixed % advantage IMO. Unless you've mastered your ship.

Askani

Thats almost normal, that mission is very hard (from memories at least)

Dont sweat it, go play the main game :)

Thank God because I was starting to worry about getting shot to pieces when I ran into a real enemy.

As it is right now I'm trying to not look like a monkey with a learning disability while I'm landing. The struggle is real.

Pollux

3 ways:
1. When facing the entrance the station will be spinning counter clockwise. Just watch the axis of rotation and it's easy to tell.
2. Entrance always faces the planet the station is orbiting.
3. Target the station and look at the station image on your HUD. It'll have arrows pointing towards the entrance.

Nice, thanks for that.

Just completed my first mission - it's crazy how 2,000 cr. seems like a lot when you have nothing, and then you think about how far you have to go to buy the next ship upgrade. Craziness.

I'm sure the flying and combat will get much easier when the joystick gets here.

Jedi2016

I generally agree with this. Landing more shots consistently will always trump the fixed % advantage IMO. Unless you've mastered your ship.
This. I'm not a good enough pilot to keep enemy ships exactly centered in my crosshairs during a fight, so I saw a noticeable boost in actual damage done after I switched to gimballed weapons.

Sinatar

Still trying to find a station that sells the Vulture. I'm in Sol if anyone knows of any relatively close by.

Did you back the kickstarter? If so Shinrarta Dezhra not only sells every ship and every module in the game, but does so at a 10% discount.

Wreav

Banned
Ohhhhh maaaaan, interdicting fools as a group of 3 is fucking amazing.

Never seen cargo shit out from a victim so quickly.

kvk1

DrBo I was right behind you heading into the Jupiter RES!

Damn instancing put us in separate zones.

The one I dropped in was empty anyway.

Drag.

Shifty76

Wow, just killed a wanted Anaconda in a RES that had a 180k bounty on it. Clippers, pythons & dropships with 100k bounties too.

Made around 2m in an hour and a half.

Would buy a FDL if I could find a station selling the damn thing.

Anybody know of any high conflict zones in Imperial space? I'm near Falisci and since the community event there ended last week I haven't found any.

mitchman

Gold Member
51M for the FDL? Nice!

Best combat ship for that price right?

Vulture is the best combat ship for the price. Slap on 3x shield boosters and you can easily survive a high intensity combat zone against condas and what's not. FdL is a good combat ship, but it's severely hampered by the low power and jump range. I still think Python is better as you can fit more shield boosters etc. on it without running into those power issues. Now if they gave the FDL one class higher power plant and FSD, it would be good.

Pomerlaw

Sorry, what?

a69e13d1070a4a86fef8cc2a698cd7f6_large.jpg

This is official FD art.

It is coming... Soon™

Portman

I'm curious about this too. Granted I haven't done a lot of exploring but combat will become my main method of income quickly if it can bring it decent money like that. All I have seen is a low intensity combat zone where a friend and I made 140,000 each after an hour or so. I'm thinking we'll do better next time now that we're learning how it works but I wasn't sure if high intensity and/or RES are better. Are specific RES like the Jupiter one mentioned preferred over just going to a random one in a system or do they all spawn big ships eventually?

Not yet. Will this evening. Thanks!

And unfortunately, did not back this so Shinrarta Dezhra is out.
I took the easy way out and looked up where to buy mine on the wiki. Now the downside to that is that the station I got mine at in LHS 3447 (Dalton Gateway) was a loooooong way away from the star so I am going to regret it when I go back to get my Type-6. That one is closer to where I remember starting so I'm not sure how close to Sol that is.

Seeing everyone on here talk about doing all this stuff at Sol makes me want to get my permit. I'm wanting to get it just to see the system and to try out this Jupiter RES. I guess I should look into getting some more rank with the Federation. Does anyone have any tips or generic advice (I may have asked this a while back)? I have been running trade missions for the past few weeks so that may have worked against me if kills are needed to help trigger missions. I'm working in the conflict zone on the side that is alligned with them currently so hopefully that will help out (and crossing my fingers to see a capital ship at some point!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom