• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Is there a trick to finding black boxes? I flew to the system, then flew to the unidentified ping, when I got there it was some dude telling me to bring it somewhere else if I find it. Now there is nothing else in the system. Do I just fly around hoping to stumbled into it in this system?

Shifty76

Finally found a bunch of undiscovered systems so have been cruising around tagging them. Considering heading for home, but I'd really like to be the first to discover a black hole / neutron star / white dwarf / earthlike world before I do that, so the exploration will continue.

Not even sure how far out I am right now...2-3k ly I would guess.

First Wing meet with a friend who just bought the game. We made him feel welcome.

9Byy9vk.jpg

2sV7hso.jpg

F2Zfasl.jpg

ifdHnQw.jpg

9GjjmM7.jpg

Uuuuuugh, so disappointed (in a way) that the Lugh war is over. I had JUST gotten there last night, did some combat (chose the Fed faction), BUT, I didn't know you had to accept the actual mission from the Bulletin Board to be included. No bonus pay for me :(

Danj

I've been doing this rare trading circuit in my Type 6.

In my most recent trip it's taken just over an hour to do the Zaonce -> Witchhaul leg, and I only made 800k. I can't do combat yet - as the reason I'm saving up is so I can get a Vulture in order to do that with, I tried it with my Cobra and got blown up a lot - so is there a better trading route I should be doing?

I remember making like 2.5-3 million a loop doing the rare trade route in a type 6. I didn't do it long because I found it kind of exhausting.

As for combat, how was your Cobra outfitted? I did the majority of my combat in a Viper before the Vulture was available and it did a pretty good job with 2 small fixed beams and 2 med gimballed multicannons and max shields, power plant, distributor, thrusters and some shield cells and military armor. I think it totalled right around 3 million to fully kit out. Most AI was very manageable except the Elite Anacondas you run into during assassination missions. Those were a chore after one of the patches.

Are things more interesting in the Lugh region of the universe in general?

I've almost got enough money saved up for a fuel scoop on my Cobra. Picking off small fries with one to four other humans vying for the bounties is getting old.

Danj

I remember making like 2.5-3 million a loop doing the rare trade route in a type 6. I didn't do it long because I found it kind of exhausting.

As for combat, how was your Cobra outfitted? I did the majority of my combat in a Viper before the Vulture was available and it did a pretty good job with 2 small fixed beams and 2 med gimballed multicannons and max shields, power plant, distributor, thrusters and some shield cells and military armor. I think it totalled right around 3 million to fully kit out. Most AI was very manageable except the Elite Anacondas you run into during assassination missions. Those were a chore after one of the patches.

I have 2 gimballed medium pulse lasers and 2 small gimballed multicannons. I can't hit anything with fixed weapons. The rest of my Cobra setup is maxed out as yours is.

Man, this game is awesome alone, but it's something else when in a Wing. Been playing with two friends all weekend and have had a blast. It makes combat a lot more interesting, too, as you can try and take on different roles based on your ship, the enemy's, AND the rest of your Wing.

Last night I dropped into a Strong Signal Source alone and two Anacondas were waiting. I told my Wing, set a beacon, and they arrived shortly after. We got our Viper to act as bait/harass the Anacondas, which would distract them and let us target them (in our Cobras).

Tonight, a friend and I were trying to find a pirate for the same mission. He found him, an Elite Anaconda, and stayed alive until I jumped in. Took us a little while to get him down and I cut it too close (9% hull at the end) but he was worth $350k Cr!

I wish that missions could be shared. At one point, my mission took a turn that was different from his (an opposing faction proposed that I destroy someone else; for him, a Hauler told him he just got out of a specific system because our pirate target had moved there), so maybe that's why, but I didn't get credit for finishing the actual mission, though I got my share of the bounty.

dsk1210

Picking up a 55" LG OLED on Tuesday. 55ec930v

Think it will look amazing with elite (dark souls as well) the blacks man. :)

I will let you know how I get on.

Lagamorph

Question.
When you buy a new ship and trade in your old one, does your equipment get transferred over? Does it go into your inventory to be equipped on the new one? Or do you just lose anything you don't unequip first? (Not that I can find a way to unequip things, only swap with other equipment...)

How are people getting those external screenshots too?

Question.
When you buy a new ship and trade in your old one, does your equipment get transferred over? Does it go into your inventory to be equipped on the new one? Or do you just lose anything you don't unequip first? (Not that I can find a way to unequip things, only swap with other equipment...)

How are people getting those external screenshots too?

There is a command for a debug camera in the options. I don't remember the default but it is configurable with the rest of the controls. As for equipment, sell off all the equipment for your ship before selling it. If you sell it with your ship you will lose 10% on the equipment. If you sell it by itself you get back the full value. Sell off the stuff you can and replace the required parts with the cheapest version at the station. Then sell the ship. When you buy a new one at that same station, you can rebuy the equipment you sold.

Lagamorph

There is a command for a debug camera in the options. I don't remember the default but it is configurable with the rest of the controls. As for equipment, sell off all the equipment for your ship before selling it. If you sell it with your ship you will lose 10% on the equipment. If you sell it by itself you get back the full value. Sell off the stuff you can and replace the required parts with the cheapest version at the station. Then sell the ship. When you buy a new one at that same station, you can rebuy the equipment you sold.

Hm, so basically you're always going to be stuck having to pay out for cheap throwaway equipment :S
I suppose as you work your way up to where you're buying equipment for several hundred thousand a piece then it's not making a huge difference.

Here I am thinking that a 30k haul at the black market from 4 pieces of illicit cargo is good money....

Going to need to look at getting a new ship from the starter one at some point though. Don't know how well I can handle only 2 weapon hardpoints. Got a gimballed Burst laser and a Gimballed Pulse laser at the moment, but have been actively avoiding combat so far.

If you find a ship that's wanted can you destroy it and you'll get the bounty automatically at the next station? Or do you need that insane expensive wanted scanner module first?

Jedi2016

If you find a ship that's wanted can you destroy it and you'll get the bounty automatically at the next station? Or do you need that insane expensive wanted scanner module first?
If he's wanted, that means you can kill him right away. The scanner is only useful for scanning for more warrants in other systems than the one you're in. There's some debate on whether it's worth it.

And it's not the "next station".. it has to be a station of the same allegiance as what the bounty is for. Your Transactions tab will tell you something like "5000 credit bounty in Federation", meaning you have to land at a Federation station to get paid. Granted, if they're Wanted in that system, chances are most of the stations will be of the same faction, but that's not guaranteed, there are often Independent stations in Federation or Alliance-controlled systems, and trying to cash in there won't get you squat. And it's not automatic, you have to manually cash it in at the local security office.

As for module cost.. yeah, it stops mattering once you get some money. When you're selling a 5 million credit component and replacing it with one that's only 5 thousand, that's not even worth crying over. The money you just saved is worth many times more than the cost of the cheap stuff.

The Vulture is something else. Even with Gimballed pulse lasers enemy shields go away quickly, and the stock category five shield generators can take a lot of punishment. I dread the day I get jumped by another player with this ship.

A category three plasma accelerator or rail gun would make unshielded targets dissappear quickly, yes?

The Vulture is something else. Even with Gimballed pulse lasers enemy shields go away quickly, and the stock category five shield generators can take a lot of punishment. I dread the day I get jumped by another player with this ship.

A category three plasma accelerator or rail gun would make unshielded targets dissappear quickly, yes?

I don't think there is a category 3 rail gun. The plasma accelerator is the most effective against large ships subsystems. It takes 2 landed hits to a Python's power plant for a kill and just a tiny bit more than 2 hits to an Anaconda's power plant for a kill. The trick is landing the hits on the subsystems. Anaconda's aren't bad but Python power plants seem much harder to hit, at least for me. I think 2 beams are more practical in the end but it's so satisfying melting an unshielded Anaconda in 2 or 3 hits.

Managing power is the other issue. I actually turn my beam off in combat to use my plasma accelerator (typically after I've removed the shield to save ammo, though the plasma accel strips shields away faster than anything I've seen). It was a hassle at first but I've gotten quick at it. I kind of like the added dynamic of managing systems mid fight.

Kiyoshi

Are there any conflict zones in systems around Lugh? I logged on today and I was disappointed to see that the war is apparently over.

The conflict zones are still there. They have to be because the Crimson State community goal is still running. The fed mission is complete because the highest reward tier was met, I assume that's what you mean when you say it's over. But you can still visit the conflict zones and earn combat bonds.

Jedi2016

Even with a maxed out power plant?
Oh, yeah. Just fiddle with the numbers on Elite Shipyard, the Vulture maxxes out really easily. I don't think it's possible to have this one "fully kitted" without having to do some power management or having half your systems cut out when you get into a fight. That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't pop up a big red warning message that it was cutting power to nonessential systems. IMO, it should only do that if it has to cut Priority 1 systems, P2 systems should cut automatically without warning.

Shifty76

Made it back from my exploration trip. Only found the one new earth-like, no new black holes or anything exciting like that.

Increased two ranks in the explorer tree.
186 systems scanned
458 "first discovery" tags
6m profit
Total distance out was only around 600 ly - felt like way more.

It did surprise me to still find signal sources out there, many of which were ships.

Not sure what I'll focus on now...

This is how I'm outfitted. I'm scraping by the skin of my teeth for power even though I only have one weapon powered at any given time.

Thank you for sharing.

Oh, yeah. Just fiddle with the numbers on Elite Shipyard, the Vulture maxxes out really easily. I don't think it's possible to have this one "fully kitted" without having to do some power management or having half your systems cut out when you get into a fight. That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't pop up a big red warning message that it was cutting power to nonessential systems. IMO, it should only do that if it has to cut Priority 1 systems, P2 systems should cut automatically without warning.

You should make a suggestion for it on the official forums. This developer seems to listen to the playerbase and implement well thought out ideas, which is both good and bad, I guess.

Regardless, this at least gives this beast some disadvantages to curb the sheer firepower it boasts.

Repair costs have gone down, too. Seven thousand for thirty percent hull. Almost trivial. Fuel costs too. Fuel scoops have been relegated to Explorers and for convenience while moving ships long distance.

Speaking of which, they probably should remove hydrogen fuel from the commodities market. The original design document had commanders able to carry more fuel in their cargo bay, but they eventually decided against it. Although this decision came before fuel costs were normalized, perhaps they may reverse this.

Just made 1.25 mil in about 1.5 hours at a High Intensity Conflict Zone by Lugh 11.

I had 6 million...couldn't help it, sold my Cobra, bought a Vulture. No ragrets.

Right on, commander.

Cheers!

Frontier has some amazing sound designers/engineers. I love how distinct every ship I've bought so far (Sidewinder, Eagle, Viper, Cobra, and now Vulture) has sounded and felt different.

Vulture sounds BEAST. I hope we get some paintjobs for it soon--probably the only thing I don't like about it at the moment.

EDIT: Sorry for jaggies--realized my Shadowplay record button is same as 10k screenshot button tonight, haha.

Burny

Finally managed to play this for about an hour with the X52 and TrackIR setup. On my Laptop and playing with low settings at 720p (on an 24'' monitor) nontheless. The setup of my choice would've involved playing it on my 55'' TV with the HOTAS mounted on a stand build from aluminium profiles. That stand only exists in my head, yet, but I'll build it eventually. Also, the TV was taken, but at least I know now, that I can get 60fps in low settings on a 2012 Notebook. ^^

Neverthelss, flying around with a proper HOTAS and headtracking is pure joy despite the low settings. ^^ Got some bounties in solo hardly worth mentioning and was killed a couple of times, but it was still stupidly fun. Now I'm looking at stuff that would probably result in my girlfriend killing me... ^^

Does anybody know where/how you can pay of debt after you took one to buy back your ship? And are there any better laser weapons for the Eagle than those whith which it is equipped by default?

GeoGonzo

Does anybody know where/how you can pay of debt after you took one to buy back your ship? And are there any better laser weapons for the Eagle than those whith which it is equipped by default?
If I'm not mistaken ~10% of your income while in debt goes towards paying it back, so you only need to keep making money.

As for the weapons, you start with two pulse lasers which aren't bad. I'd buy a gimballed multicannon for the third slot, to do more damage against ship hulls, then maybe consider switching the pulse lasers to burst or beam (those are more power hungry, though: you'll do more damage but you won't be able to shoot as much).

AJLma

Was having a hard time Pirate Lord hunting in my Cobra, swapped it out for a Viper and now it's a breeze.

Even though these 2 ships are ranked the same for maneuverability, the extra mass the Cobra's carrying around makes all the difference when trying to stay out of the Anaconda turret's line of fire.

Wreav

Banned
Having a hard time getting out of the top 40% for the Lugh Spear. Progress is going really slow on it too, I'm thinking it'll be around for a few more days at a minimum.

An extra 12mil is nothing to sneeze at though...I just want MORE.

Having a hard time getting out of the top 40% for the Lugh Spear. Progress is going really slow on it too, I'm thinking it'll be around for a few more days at a minimum.

I missed out on the Federation combat community goal. If I do Spear of Lugh for CSG, how much will it affect my standing with the Feds?

Kiyoshi

I missed out on the Federation combat community goal. If I do Spear of Lugh for CSG, how much will it affect my standing with the Feds?

I've earned 1.2m credits for the Crimson State and am now Allied with them, but my reputation with Lugh for Equality or the Feds hasn't noticeably changed. I'm still neutral with them and I've just actually flown to one of their stations to buy a Vulture and all was well. So either your reputation for the 'other side' doesn't change, or it's such a minor hit compared to the reputation gain on the side you're fighting for.

Shifty76

Just made 1.25 mil in about 1.5 hours at a High Intensity Conflict Zone by Lugh 11.

I had 6 million...couldn't help it, sold my Cobra, bought a Vulture. No ragrets.

I went there in my new python last night, just to test that "sit next to capital ship with turrets deployed" tactic.

1.5 hrs and 3m credits worth of combat bonds later I can confirm that it works very well, even if it carries a cheese factor of 100.

I could probably have left the game running overnight and woken up to 100m or so.

Kiyoshi

What have you contributed so far? I'm up to 2.8m so far and in the top 40%. Would be interested in knowing how much people in the next group have contributed too.

Wreav

Banned
Those are very helpful stats. In no way is it worth my time trying to get out of the top 40%, I'll hit up a RES instead.

Reddit reporting that CSG trade goal has been reached.

Go top 40% dude, there's plenty of time, and 12 is better than 6 =)

Fiiiiine! I guess I'll see how the rate of income goes. I made an easy 1.25 mil last night, but that was as a Fed, in a conflict zone with a capital ship helping.

I might head out there tonight if you want a wingman. I tend to stick to Mobius PVE group so there usually aren't too many people kill stealing / griefing.

I plan on hopping on for a little bit tonight, for sure. Can't remember if I have you added--what's your CMDR? I'm CMDR Anton Sugar.

Kiyoshi

I made 1.6 million for Crimson State in just over an hour; in a low intensity zone. That said, I was in a Vulture chewing through ships. You can take down Anacondas in two passes (2x pulse lasers); get their shields down on one pass then when your lasers get hot let them cool down; then target the power plant and they're toast before their hull gets down to 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom