• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

I've run a few small trade missions and earned approximately 8k. It's going to be a long grind toward better ships.

Do you really want to do that to yourself? Try bounty hunting "small fries" e.g. at a nav beacon and you'll get that much credits from a single kill. Even if trade is the route you want to go, that'll get you quicker into more appropriate ships.

Someone posted a nice imgur collection of concept art: https://imgur.com/a/x0vWb#3

I've run a few small trade missions and earned approximately 8k. It's going to be a long grind toward better ships.

I got my friend 80k credits at a resource extraction site in about 20 minutes, in a Sidewinder, just by leeching off targets that the security ships were already attacking. It's actually kinda broken--you can often just get a few shots in when the ship is around 20% and you'll still get money/credit. Just be careful that they don't aggro to you too much.

Oh, and this post might be useful to you: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger..._to_elite_dangerous_here_is_a_lot_of_getting/

Add me: CMDR Anton Sugar

Wreav

Banned
Yep, it's counter intuitive, but doing missions right out the gate is the worst option.

You're best off hitting up Resource Extraction Points or Nav Beacons like Anton said, and popping other wanted Sidewinders or Adders.

Thanks, guys. I read that strategy when I was lurking in this thread, but couldn't remember exactly what to do. Are nav beacons and resource extraction points listed on the left panel?

Thanks, guys. I read that strategy when I was lurking in this thread, but couldn't remember exactly what to do. Are nav beacons and resource extraction points listed on the left panel?

Yes. Nav beacons can be locked from anywhere in the system, but sometimes RES don't show up until you're near the asteroid belt or ringed planet.

EDIT: Dev update is out and focuses on the Mac port:

With our next major release being the Mac beta this week’s dev update will focus on this new platform. The beta is planned to start on March 31st and will be available to anyone who already has beta access. It won’t be possible to purchase beta access at this time.

The beta test process will follow the same procedure as the PC beta tests, although for this a new Mac launcher will need to be downloaded from the store. We’ll provide the details when the build is available. We’ll set up a new bug reporting and beta discussion forum for the beta players to use, although we won’t restrict access to those forums.

We don’t have a minimum spec as yet, however here are the recommended specs for the Mac beta based upon our development machines:

27-inch iMac (Purchased in 2015 - Current Line)
3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory / AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory
Mac OS 10.10.x (10.10.03 rec)

As with the PC beta there are a number of optimisations planned so the final minimum spec is expected to be lower than this.

The Mac version will connect to the same universe and gameplay sessions as the PC, during the beta phase that will be the test servers we use for the beta test, not the public servers. The crossplay functionality will need testing so at some stage during the beta an equivalent PC beta build will be available to test PC and Mac players together.

Also, there will be a slight change to how bounties are handled:

It’s not all about the Mac version! We also have a change in the bounty system coming – it’s planned for a minor update so should be with us soon, but bounties cannot be paid off immediately. There will be a cooldown time of a few days before the bounty can be paid off.

I'd like this change more if there were more ways to interact with the bounty system--it sucks to accidentally shoot another ship and immediately be Wanted.

Kiyoshi

They changed that in 1.2. You have to repeatedly fire at a ship now for it to count as a hostile act, so you shouldn't pick up any bounties by accident anymore.

They changed that in 1.2. You have to repeatedly fire at a ship now for it to count as a hostile act, so you shouldn't pick up any bounties by accident anymore.

Oh, really? Coulda sworn I was in a conflict zone, post 1.2, and suddenly had every CMDR after me because I accidentally shot one of them.

Askani

I'd like this change more if there were more ways to interact with the bounty system--it sucks to accidentally shoot another ship and immediately be Wanted.

Agreed. I'm currently, and I'm going to use the wrong term here I'm sure, 'Hated' by a faction. So when they come into the RES I'm at, they have a chance to auto attack me. That's usually fine because I'm looking to kill them anyway and all it does is make it easier to find them. What sucks is when enemies are in a wing together and there are System Defense ships fighting with me and one crosses my line of fine. I immediately go from having 2-3 ships firing at me to 6-7. I can escape, but you can't pay your bounty from space which seems crazy, only at a port. So then you have to jump to a port. Also I think it should build up. I don't know why they auto target me for my 430 credit bounty when there are more wanted people in the area for 50-100k. They're clearly more wanted than I am.

I'm wondering if it's also a case of hitting a ship that's shielded and one that's unshielded. Seems like I can hit an shielded ship once and it's fine, but if they cross and are unshielded then everyone is after me.

Yeah, someone in reddit posted about a scummy tactic some CMDRs use to induce a bounty by purposely flying in front of other CMDR's shots:

When you go bounty hunting in resource extraction sites, keep a good eye on other commanders. Recently, a commander in a wing flew very purposefully into my beam laser, which I had aimed at a NPC bounty target, to trigger a bounty on my head. Then, his wing and all of the security ships in the area proceeded to attack me.
I immediately broke off and engaged my FSD, but still they kept on chasing me. I came out with ~5% hull left. Beware of this nasty tactic! Fly safe, commanders.

Are there any notes from 1.2 that detail how exactly it works?

EDIT: Add this to the "disposable income" shopping list: custom Elite: Dangerous control panel.

muUIvwF.jpg

Kiyoshi

It seems it was actually 1.1 that the friendly fire changes were made...

When the player accidentally hits an AI ship damage is accumulated. If a threshold is exceeded (by multiple hits or a powerful weapon like a rail-run), the ship turns hostile. The AI ship will "forget" the damage before it turns hostile:

1) if the AI ship recharges its shield to 100%.
2) if a (currently 30 sec) timer runs out.

I have also read that it doesn't apply to un-shielded ships though, which backs up what you guys are saying above.

I have also read that it doesn't apply to un-shielded ships though, which backs up what you guys are saying above.

Does that apply only to NPC/AI though? There should be a forgive system for CMDRs.

Portman

Man I love Apam Napat. Other than the very bottom bounty, which I've had for about a month now, this was the result of an hours worth of bounty hunting at the RES. Constant stream of anacondas, pythons, clippers and dropships. I was at 600k after just 10 minutes!

Vulture setup used for it I should probably ditch the A grade FSD when sticking to the one system for hunting though - might be able to pop another shield booster on instead.

I will have to investigate this place for a change of pace from conflict zones. I'm thinking you mentioned it a few posts back saying that it wasn't far away from Lugh. I will have to look at my loadout too to see if I can come up with something similar although I'm thinking my power is already over the limit right not and I don't have as many modules installed as you do. I'm guessing I can fit a larger power supply and just haven't seen it but will report back on that if I run into issues finding one.

I started going to high intensity conflict zones last night and they seem to bring in more combat bonds but the risk of attracting attention seems higher. I lost 2 ships there with one of them being do to an unshielded collision. I did have an intense moment though where I was down to 1% hull strength with damaged modules and manage to escape somehow with 720k in bonds! I won't even take that big of a risk again that's for sure since I could have left in better shape but I got greedy.

EDIT: Add this to the "disposable income" shopping list: custom Elite: Dangerous control panel.

I had seen that a few times while wandering around on eBay and while it looked tempting I'm worried that it would be a huge pain to get it working. As hard as it is to get the game to work with multiple inputs and devices already I see that being an issue although if they are just switches it might work out okay. Speaking of that I need to sit down and get my throttle configured so the game will see it but I stop every time due to how long it will take.

I can confirm the un-shielded ships being an instant wanted status. I was sitting powered down outside of a station and my friend came tearing out and shot at me to test my new Vulture. He didn't realize I was unshielded but even that one shot caused the station and all the patrol craft to open fire on him.

Askani

img http://i.imgur.com/muUIvwF.jpg /img

While I will admit that's super cool look and feel wise, why wouldn't you just get a Logitech G13 or something? Seems like way more functionality for the less price. But then again if people are spending +$400 for that Warthog HOTAS stick then who am I to question. It would look pretty awesome in a full cockpit setup. Maybe I'm just speaking from a place of jealousy. Heh

Portman

So much fun tonight.

Awesome pictures! I can't wait to see one of those in person.

If you don't mind my asking where was this and do you have to do anything special to make it show up? I'm still hanging out in Lugh because I am determined to get to see a capital ship at some point and I have seen people mention one being in Lugh 11 but I have never seen anything to indicate it. I'm guessing I will need to stick around for a while based on the news but I also didn't know if they are always in a location at a set time or are they random in certain conflict zones for example?

Shifty76

Trying to dock and there is another ship at the landing pad. The heck am I supposed to do?

It won't be on your landing pad, so find yours and dock on it. You did request permission to dock, correct?

Re: Capital ship.

Pfft...typical federation flying lego brick. Behold the majesty that is the Imperial Interdictor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSD-rNXgFs

In other news, I finally hit "dangerous" rank in combat. Two ranks to go!
1736 bounties claimed, 890 combat bonds. Around 32m in rewards from combat.

Damn, this game can look good. How do I take the downsampled shots, though?

Also used Wings for the first time with a friend (the one I introduced ED to yesterday). He is HOOKED--Wings took a few tries/searches to figure out, but the functionality is great.

Atrophis

Took my wing to Lugh yesterday to try this community goals stuff. Was actually a lot of fun. Got to 70% contribution after just two runs which I'm pretty excited about because that's more than I've earned in my entire playtime in the game.

Portman

Re: Capital ship.

Pfft...typical federation flying lego brick. Behold the majesty that is the Imperial Interdictor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSD-rNXgFs

In other news, I finally hit "dangerous" rank in combat. Two ranks to go!
1736 bounties claimed, 890 combat bonds. Around 32m in rewards from combat.

I feel dumb for not realizing there were other capital ships. My friend had sent me a video with one the looks really elegant and makes us think of a giant Anaconda shape. It is neat to see the different types of ships (are the multiple capital class ships even?) for each faction. I believe the one I'm referencing is an Empire one based on the location in the video but I'm not 100% sure.

I was going to head to the location you had mentioned for bounty hunting in your video but since it was getting late I decided to check off an item on my to-do list and visit Sol since I was close. I have wanted to see that system since I started and the bonus was a capital ship in orbit around Earth! Granted it's just sitting there but neat to see regardless. Speaking of capital ships do we know why they appear to "tear" space as they appear? Is that their Frame Shift Drive working and it creates that effect due to their size and mass?

Thanks for posting your Vulture outfitting Shifty76. I used it as a guide to tweak mine and also learned how to manage power systems after looking at it too. I keep forgetting to look into higher modules so that gave me a better understanding of how the class and rating impact the ship as a whole. Before I had just played with the priority settings in the module screen but now that I know how that works too I expect it will come in handy for when I upgrade to bigger ships and want to adjust their outfitting.

A freelance/mercenary question for everyone: Is it possible to do work for each of the factions without having a negative impact on your reputation with the others or do you have to focus on one or two? I would like to operate for each of them if possible to get to see their ships and systems but I didn't know if working my way up in the Federation so that I earned my Sol permit might prevent me from doing that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Damn, this game can look good. How do I take the downsampled shots, though?

Also used Wings for the first time with a friend (the one I introduced ED to yesterday). He is HOOKED--Wings took a few tries/searches to figure out, but the functionality is great.

Gotta be in offline mode, then ALT+F10 will take insanely super high res shots (like 10k resolution).

Shifty76

A freelance/mercenary question for everyone: Is it possible to do work for each of the factions without having a negative impact on your reputation with the others or do you have to focus on one or two? I would like to operate for each of them if possible to get to see their ships and systems but I didn't know if working my way up in the Federation so that I earned my Sol permit might prevent me from doing that.

Provided the rank missions you've been doing don't get you a hostile rating with that faction, absolutely. I think I'm Earl or Viscount with the Empire, but happened upon a couple of Fed ranking missions so I did those too.

This game is Poverty Simulator 3300. After a small success at a nav beacon (1.5k) I've spent hours waiting in systems for various criminals.

Currently, I've been at V1688 Aquilae's beacon for two hours and a grand total of three criminals have passed through. I can't remember the last time I saw a human player even though I'm in Open Play.

Fake edit: While I was typing this, three criminals showed up. I was able to score 33k. Still no humans, but my mood's improved.

This game is Poverty Simulator 3300. After a small success at a nav beacon (1.5k) I've spent hours waiting in systems for various criminals.

Currently, I've been at V1688 Aquilae's beacon for two hours and a grand total of three criminals have passed through. I can't remember the last time I saw a human player even though I'm in Open Play.

Fake edit: While I was typing this, three criminals showed up. I was able to score 33k. Still no humans, but my mood's improved.

I've found that it can depend on the system. Right now a friend and I are in 42 Aquilae and have had horrible luck finding Wanted criminals to take down. However, 42 Aquilae is a very wealthy system overseen by the Federation, so maybe that deters criminals.

When I was in an Anarchy system, it seemed like I had much better luck.

I've found that it can depend on the system. Right now a friend and I are in 42 Aquilae and have had horrible luck finding Wanted criminals to take down. However, 42 Aquilae is a very wealthy system overseen by the Federation, so maybe that deters criminals.

When I was in an Anarchy system, it seemed like I had much better luck.

I don't like to get too far away from populated systems and stations in my Sidewinder.

Good news is that I scored a 116k bounty after my last post. Then I was killed right before destroying an Anaconda with the system authorities. Still, I can finally upgrade my parts.

Edit: Nope, apparently I need to make it back to the station in one piece.

Good news is that I scored a 116k bounty after my last post. Then I was killed right before destroying an Anaconda with the system authorities. Still, I can finally upgrade my parts.

You did turn in that bounty before you died, right?

EDIT: nooooooooooo

My friends and I will likely be on tonight. I'm with a noob player in 42 Aquilae right now, I think, but I'm gonna see if I can convince him to head to Lugh with me. FOR THE FEDERATION!

You did turn in that bounty before you died, right?

EDIT: nooooooooooo

My friends and I will likely be on tonight. I'm with a noob player in 42 Aquilae right now, I think, but I'm gonna see if I can convince him to head to Lugh with me. FOR THE FEDERATION!

lol I'm just happy to make some progress and learn how to better play the game.

Seeing people talk about Lugh in this thread is what got me to leave the starter region and get this far.

Shifty76

Decided to do some exploration for a change of pace, so parked my vulture and kitted out an asp. Currently in the Pleiades nebula (sp?) about to visit Maia and the black hole there. Didn't take long at all to get out there, so think I'll head out further to try to tag my name on some systems.

So I've made over 200k since my last post; I have some decent upgrades on my Sidewinder now. I'm hoping to make enough to purchase a Cobra tonight.

The nav beacon's been fruitful, though there are periods of inactivity.

Edit: Just purchased my Cobra. Feels good. Thanks for the help, guys.

One of my last Sidewinder upgrades was a docking computer. The music that plays while it's working had me laughing so hard - very unexpected.

DrBo42

So I've made over 200k since my last post; I have some decent upgrades on my Sidewinder now. I'm hoping to make enough to purchase a Cobra tonight.

The nav beacon's been fruitful, though there are periods of inactivity.

Edit: Just purchased my Cobra. Feels good. Thanks for the help, guys.

One of my last Sidewinder upgrades was a docking computer. The music that plays while it's working had me laughing so hard - very unexpected.

Congrats. Your options really open up from Cobra and up.

Just launched the game after 3 days in Baltimore and boom 17.5 mil cr from the Lugh event. A FDL is actually something I can see in my not too distant future.

I just made a big mistake while bounty hunting and if the new bounty system was in place I'd be screwed. I saw security forces attacking a Viper, which was near death and what must have been a quarter second before my scanner reported the wanted status, I fired my beam cannon and destroyed it, instantly getting a bounty for murder. It was wanted but because I didn't wait to confirm it with my sensor, I would have been stuck with a 6000 cr bounty for, what is it supposed to be? like a week?

Wreav

Banned
I put the game down for a few days, only to find out that the Lugh Reclamation mission is now over, even though it said it had 2 weeks remaining?

Is there a new Federal mission now?

JoeMartin

Heh.. I ran the numbers on a Vulture yesterday on Elite Shipyard, came out to over 15M. No idea how much I have right now, though.. there's no tally of exploration data until you turn it in.

[Vulture]
L: 3D/F Pulse Laser
L: 3D/F Pulse Laser
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0E Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0I Chaff Launcher

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 4A Power Plant
TM: 5D Thrusters
FH: 4A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 3A Life Support
PC: 5A Power Distributor
SS: 4D Sensors
FS: 3C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 8)

5: 5D Shield Generator
4: 4A Shield Cell Bank
2: 2A Fuel Scoop
1: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
1: 1A Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
---
Shield: 447.94 MJ
Power : 14.44 MW retracted (93%)
16.44 MW deployed (105%)
15.60 MW available
Cargo : 0 T
Fuel : 8 T
Mass : 328.9 T empty
336.9 T full
Range : 17.19 LY unladen
17.19 LY laden
Price : 13,692,959 CR
Re-Buy: 684,648 CR @ 95% insurance

Realistically you just need to get yourself 2 large pulse lasers (dirt cheap) & 5A power distributor (1.2m) which allows you to engage more or less anything (and only at like 6.3m space dollars total), then you can pretty much incrementally upgrade everything else for quality of life as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom