• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

I never saw any bigger ships at the RES I visited beyond Cobras. I remember seeing a few pages back where it was mentioned that restarting to the main menu and logging back in resets the instance which could spawn Pythons and Anacondas. Does that work in any RES or just specific ones (the post was in reference to RES located at Jupiter)?
Should work in any RES

owlbeak

Why on earth would you log out of the game to reset an instance? Jump to SC, do a loop, hop back in.
It literally takes maybe 10 seconds (20 if you have to wait 15 sec to log). You just exit to main menu and hop back in. The load back in is practically instantaneous.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Why on earth would you log out of the game to reset an instance? Jump to SC, do a loop, hop back in.

It literally takes maybe 10 seconds (20 if you have to wait 15 sec to log). You just exit to main menu and hop back in. The load back in is practically instantaneous.

Yeah I agree, when I was bounty hunting in instances the best way I found to reset them was to simply log out and back in again. It might not be as much fun, but it's more efficient.

I'm almost at 8 mil for the Lugh event which was enough for 5% last night but I'm going out of town for the next few days so I expect that to drop significantly. I hope it's enough to stay in the top 15%.

eznark

Banned
So I bought the game basically because I bought a Saitek x52 and wanted a space game. I know literally nothing about it. Is there a dipshit's guide to the galaxy video that you all usually recommend?

Shifty76

I went to a nearby system to find a RES and did a bit of bounty hunting after seeing the increased income. I did make a decent amount but the one that I found was a 5 minute travel from the star so I might wait a while before I commit to them. I tried to find one in Lugh but either I've forgotten how to find them or they must not show up near ice rings. I did have some missiles shot at me while in the RES so I see the benefit of a point defense turret now too.

I never saw any bigger ships at the RES I visited beyond Cobras. I remember seeing a few pages back where it was mentioned that restarting to the main menu and logging back in resets the instance which could spawn Pythons and Anacondas. Does that work in any RES or just specific ones (the post was in reference to RES located at Jupiter)?

Try that Apam Napat or whatever it was in that vid I posted. It's reasonably close to Lugh - maybe 80 ly? It has 3-4 RES's that are really close to stations. I've always had good spawns there too.

Portman

Sounds like we might have another hotspot popping up for combat. I wonder if this will get as much attention as Lugh since it had a history with the player base.

Just wanted to post, I got a vulture and its the best thing ever yadda yadda

What I found while trying to deal with the shit energy levels of it is that, I was able to get about 5 sec. of fire from dual C3 Gimballed beams.

However, when I disabled one, I got closer to 20 sec of fire from one (instead of the expected 10 sec)
So running with one you actually get more DPS than running 2
I leave the 2nd disabled unless things turn dire or something, one is enough for my needs farming Operation Dullahan

Marking the occasion of my first Wing meet last night (I'm in the Cobra)

wing03lzu1p.jpg

wing024tuej.jpg

Pollux

Joystick came in the mail today, and HOLY SHIT this completely changes the game. Started flying around some mining sights and racked up over 100K in credits in 2 hours. The flight controls are so damn smooth. Can't wait to buy my next ship and start some bounty hunting and saving up for a good ship to explore in.

What's a good ship to buy after the sidewinder that will allow me to have enough cargo space to trade but also be able to fight?

Jedi2016

First "goal" stop on my voyage today.. made it to Betelgeuse!
oHvn5Ns.jpg

Ship's still in perfect shape, I haven't yet figured out how the folks in those videos wind up flying ships barely holding themselves together, cracks all over the canopy, etc. I have a field repair unit, but it's been collecting dust so far. Fine by me.

Although I did get uncomfortably close to this one in scanning its closest planet. Even in that picture, you can see the vents open on the top of the ship (it's that long slit right down the spine), dumping the excess heat. Those are normally closed, and I'm not really all that close to the star.. it's just really big. The first supergiant I've come across.. even while "far away" at the outermost planet, it still dominates the sky.

Cimarron

Finally dumped my docking computer. MY GOD! Docking your ship is so much more fun when you understand the controls. My first few days with this game terrified me into getting one.

Juicy Bob

Man I want to get this game so bad.

Frontier Elite II was the only video game I ever knew my Dad to play by his own choice and I'd love to somehow be able to play Dangerous with him.

Man I want to get this game so bad.

Frontier Elite II was the only video game I ever knew my Dad to play by his own choice and I'd love to somehow be able to play Dangerous with him.

I play ED with my dad - he's 60, I'm 30. As he is retired, he has so much more money than me! So he's rocking a spec-ed out Python, with about 150 million credits in assets.

Git.

owlbeak

Finally ticked over to combat rank Expert after being stuck at Competent for what seemed like an eternity!

Streamed some footage of me fighting in the Lugh system last night if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVNQvIqKTSk
You can actually see when I notice my rank changed to expert because I do a double take at the right menu. :)

1.2.05 update going live in a few minutes:

The Galaxy servers will be down from 2PM GMT for up to 30 minutes to allow us to update to Elite: Dangerous 1.2.05. See the full list of changes below:

- Fix crash when sending a wing invite
- Fix issue with starports being too far in deep space from their parent body
- Increase hardware detection timeout to prevent crash on start
- Fix stability issue when cancelling a wing invite
- Fix for crash in physics system for ship hulls
- Decrease chance for being scanned if you are in a low conspicuous rated ship – such as a Sidewinder
- Target leads for projectile weapons missing in any other firegroup than 1 fixed
- System Map now opens on correct star system
- Fixed keyboard problem on Report Player Screen
- Fix star visuals
- Fix timeout issue with some wing invites not arriving
- Added Pratchett's Disc starport
- Network fix to make sure that a disconnected machine is also released
- When listing modules - No longer show power priority on unpowered modules and make sure we show that priority for newly-bought module correctly
- Fix broken Russian text for dormant bounties
- Fix enabling wing beacon enabling voice comms as well
- Fixed: the Onion Head paint job had no icon in the outfitting menu
- Fix some errors in commodity descriptions

Server side changelog

- Fix friends location incorrectly showing 'Main Menu' when in a private group
- Fix data not propagating to wing members when scanning a body without a detailed surface scanner
- Fix a disconnect when entering outfitting screen

GeoGonzo

Also, I love this (via Reddit, again):

zU0g8uo.jpg
Kvk1 beat you to it, six posts up or so.

I may not be getting the joke, though? is it a reference to anything in particular or is it simply humorous due to the juxtaposition of newbie questions in a serious looking frame? Does it look like some particular movie poster maybe?

kvk1

I may not be getting the joke, though? is it a reference to anything in particular or is it simply humorous due to the juxtaposition of newbie questions in a serious looking frame? Does it look like some particular movie poster maybe?

It's a cheeky response to the influx of kitchy "faction propaganda" posters in Reddit the past few days.

Like these: http://imgur.com/a/EFiEk

Bought this a couple of hours ago. So lost.

Parked in front of a star in solo mode. I picked up a bounty a couple of solar systems away from my starting point. Had enough trouble getting there. Found the main star for the system, but nothing else in it.

DrBo42

Parked in front of a star in solo mode. I picked up a bounty a couple of solar systems away from my starting point. Had enough trouble getting there. Found the main star for the system, but nothing else in it.

Explain what you mean. One of the assassination missions from the bulletin board? Has a crosshair icon? The system you're in either has nothing else in it or you don't have the system data for it. You can go into the galaxy map and attempt to purchase the system data from there. Missions other than strict trading/message delivery all revolve around unidentified signal sources. So if you're in the destination system for that mission, start checking USS's.

Askani

I had 31% of my ship left but my thrusters were disabled in the fight and I just started drifting. The enemy changed targets or got picked off. So I have a 15 minute oxygen timer or whatever but I can't do crap I'm just spinning in space. For 15 minutes. So I self destructed. I didn't know about repair modules so I'm the dummy.

I just lost about 1 million in bounties. Sucks but I learned about a new module and I'll never not target a subsystem from now on.

Also though I will say there needs to be a mechanic to manually fix subsystems. That or being able to eject and drop a distress beacon in the middle of the, oh...10-12 System Defense ships on my radar.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I had 31% of my ship left but my thrusters were disabled in the fight and I just started drifting. The enemy changed targets or got picked off. So I have a 15 minute oxygen timer or whatever but I can't do crap I'm just spinning in space. For 15 minutes. So I self destructed. I didn't know about repair modules so I'm the dummy.

I just lost about 1 million in bounties. Sucks but I learned about a new module and I'll never not target a subsystem from now on.

Also though I will say there needs to be a mechanic to manually fix subsystems. That or being able to eject and drop a distress beacon in the middle of the, oh...10-12 System Defense ships on my radar.

You could have done an emergency reboot to fix them.

Askani

You could have done an emergency reboot to fix them.

There is. I would assume it's under your right panel menu (haven't used it myself)
You basically canabilise other components to fix the busted one

lol

Reading fail for me. I'm a dummy. I didn't even see the menu item when I went to Self Destruct. It's like, right on top of it in the menu. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the tip.

eznark

Banned
Is there a giant patch today or did something happen with my install? Seems like it is redownloading the entire thing. (Sync files not exactly helpful text, Frontier)

Explain what you mean. One of the assassination missions from the bulletin board? Has a crosshair icon? The system you're in either has nothing else in it or you don't have the system data for it. You can go into the galaxy map and attempt to purchase the system data from there. Missions other than strict trading/message delivery all revolve around unidentified signal sources. So if you're in the destination system for that mission, start checking USS's.

Thank you. It's an assassination mission with a crosshair icon. I have the system data for that system in terms of the two stars and a gas giant in the system. It's an anarchy system. I'll try to find a USS; I'm in the destination system, but I didn't notice anything on my radar.

Shifty76

Thank you. It's an assassination mission with a crosshair icon. I have the system data for that system in terms of the two stars and a gas giant in the system. It's an anarchy system. I'll try to find a USS; I'm in the destination system, but I didn't notice anything on my radar.
If you are new to the game I would strongly discourage attempting the 130k+ assassination missions. Your target (assuming the mission doesn't glitch out) is in an elite anaconda and can and will 1 shot your sidewinder.

DrBo42

USS won't show up on the radar, you'd have to keep your Navigation panel open. Anyway like Shifty says if you're in a Sidewinder trying to take down an assassination target, you're in for some pain.

Haha, I spent about 2 hours today walking a coworker through the game and configuring his HOTAS, showing him how to do everything.

Good luck!

If you are new to the game I would strongly discourage attempting the 130k+ assassination missions. Your target (assuming the mission doesn't glitch out) is in an elite anaconda and can and will 1 shot your sidewinder.

Yeah, I happened to coincidentally run into a pirate that killed me not long after.

Edit: Goddamn pirates. Another one got me as I carried scrap from one system to the next one over.

Figuring out the left and right panels made things a lot easier though.

Shifty76

Man I love Apam Napat. Other than the very bottom bounty, which I've had for about a month now, this was the result of an hours worth of bounty hunting at the RES. Constant stream of anacondas, pythons, clippers and dropships. I was at 600k after just 10 minutes!

Vulture setup used for it I should probably ditch the A grade FSD when sticking to the one system for hunting though - might be able to pop another shield booster on instead.

b2Njotj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom