• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

I didn't play Elite for some weeks. Can someone please explain what this is all about?

Community goals, news breaks on GalNET regarding civil uprising or some corporate event requiring commanders to either fight to forward the story moving or to transport goods like food to a war torn area or tech to help develop a new technology.

These are set as community goals, you select them from the bulletin boards as a normal more ssion, you get shown the rewards as set at the % as quoted by you, there's a bar chart showing how far to goal completion and different tiers which when reached can increase the rewards.

Shifty76

Took my python to an anarchy system to do some bounty hunting / pirating. Found a type 9 with 250t of gold on board. Jackpot!

Was only able to relieve him of 30t or so of it before he bailed though (tried to kill his thrusters but thrusters were at 5% hull at 1%) so didn't want to risk it.

Took my python to an anarchy system to do some bounty hunting / pirating. Found a type 9 with 250t of gold on board. Jackpot!

Was only able to relieve him of 30t or so of it before he bailed though (tried to kill his thrusters but thrusters were at 5% hull at 1%) so didn't want to risk it.

Shooting the hatch or using limpets? I tried limpets once and they worked pretty well but it wasn't really worth the effort.

Nymerio

Is cargo you get from pirates or other wanted ships still considered stolen?

Pomerlaw

jLZT54b.png

Thinking about deploying my Vulture as a cargo/transport defense for players doing the Khaka/Qureshi goal. If I Wing up with a transport ship, do I get any credit towards the community goal when s/he turns it in at the station?

Thread on modifying ED to allow higher res textures:

Anyway, so in there is a set of settings for the Planet Textures, I could see LOW, MID, HIGH and ULTRA presets.

So I tweaked this. I think the default texture res is....

LOW 512
MID 1024
HIGH 1536
ULTRA 2048

(or something like that) Anyway, I changed these settings to

LOW 512 (to keep as a baseline)
MID 2048
HIGH 4096
ULTRA 8192

I then loaded the game, and I was testing using a Mac Pro, so the GFX cards have 6GB of vid mem.

Anyway, of most interest of course were the HIGH 4096 and ULTRA:8192 modes, bear in mind, when you switch modes, its NOT just the bitmap resolutions that change, other fx are disabled / enabled as well.

Here are the pics, showing my results

nLnUa4u.jpg
PBVLKMs.jpg
VG4qyhW.jpg
xPDKVBl.jpg

So the images are from left to right LOW, MID, HIGH and ULTRA

Things of note

LOW:
Cripes, really!! I pity the man that has to run at this setting. One pixel per country, clouds are total blur and no parallax mapping, no DSP effect on ground either. There ARE mountains below, but you cant tell really.

MID:
As this is the normal HIGH texture setting, it actually looks pretty decent. However, at this low altitude those mountains are very pixelated. Clouds ARE looking a lot better as well.

HIGH:
OK, so this is 2x normal ULTRA resolution at 4096. Now the mountains look pretty epic, and coasts have a LOT more detail.

ULTRA:
Now using 8192 for the texture, means even "zoomed" in at low altitude, it looks pretty sweet. The ground gets another finer level of bump, and coasts are REALLY detailed now.

So, thats a big WIN in terms of planet render quality. What about speed?

Well at the bottom of each Planet quality setting, was a mysterious setting, something about grids as I recall. Its never set very high, even on Ultra.

So I tweaked this as well, on Ultra from 128 (I think...) to 256, 512 and then 1024. I think it grids the planets diameter (think of it as a disc) and then updates the texture once a grid of that size has moved into view.

What does this mean, well at 128, quite a big grid square has to move into view before it is painted. This sucks as it leads to the texture having streaks at its edges.

With a setting of 256, it was already a lot better, much more frequent updates = less streaking.

512 I could only see a very small edge of streaking if I concentrated on it, and at 1024 not at all.

Im guessing the sweet spot here for me would be 512, decent performance no noticeable streaks.

Interesting. I wonder what FD's reasons are for holding back.

Someone noted that the ship's LOD seems to change--the OP thinks the new settings may be confusing the LOD system or something.

Burny

I'd like to see the night side of an inhabited planet with that ultra settings. The city lights always seem pretty "muddy" in screenshots.

Newsletter is out. Pretty boring. New skins coming soon.

Look fabulous in our new Vibrant skin pack, or put on a moody face for spring with our new Tactical skin pack, available on the Elite: Dangerous store for a variety of ships soon.

Vibrant:
41f3a270-c7e0-4c94-a607-d55aabc0ce7c.jpg

Tactical:
9ea6b97b-1445-4ec6-8da0-d05e034be53c.jpg

Details on Nvidia Titan Black search:

So starting at 5PM GMT today, you'll find Nvidia GeForce Titan Black Prototypes in stock at one mystery starport in Elite: Dangerous' galaxy.

The Titan Blacks are a rare good available in unlimited supply, and the first five players to retrieve and sell a canister of the Titan Black prototypes at Godel Ring in the Ededleen system will be rewarded with a real Titan Black, with an RRP of £899.

Crucially, the entire objective, from collection to sale of the canisters MUST happen in Open Play. That means the collection must be made in Open Play, the journey to Godel Ring must be made in Open Play, and the sale must be made in Open Play.

Remember: you don't have to BUY the canister, only retrieve and SELL the canister. And so the question is: will you go hunting across the galaxy for the one starport selling Titan Blacks? Or will you blockade Godel Ring and lie in wait?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
lol, I hope someone makes a video of their attempted run to the station with that cargo. That station is going to be a mess. Insta-gib and then everyone scrambles to scoop the cargo, repeat a few dozen times.

I hope the station's name or location at least makes some sense and is not completely random.

Really. If they're available at just one random starport in the whole galaxy, how the hell is anyone to ever find one? On that note, are there any stats available anywhere of just how much of the galaxy has currently been explored/discovered?

I just picked this game up a couple days ago and have a whole hell of a lot to learn, but I think my main point of interest will be scooping fuel from stars and heading off into the great unknown. No idea how long it will take me to actually get to parts currently unknown, though. Quite a while, I imagine.

Really. If they're available at just one random starport in the whole galaxy, how the hell is anyone to ever find one? On that note, are there any stats available anywhere of just how much of the galaxy has currently been explored/discovered?

I just picked this game up a couple days ago and have a whole hell of a lot to learn, but I think my main point of interest will be scooping fuel from stars and heading off into the great unknown. No idea how long it will take me to actually get to parts currently unknown, though. Quite a while, I imagine.

Frontier has given some specific figures in past newsletters, but from the Race to Elite announcement:

Frontier has crunched the numbers and said that, at the current rate of player exploration, the game's 400 billion unique star systems will take around 150,000 years to explore in-game.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm impressed by the almost-compulsion-driven exploration people are doing in this game..

For some reason I decided to go from Sol to visit the Horsehead nebula.. And thought to scan some systems on my way. But I've already passed the Running Man nebula and not a single system on the way isn't explored already.. I even changed course to see if I had accidentally overlapped a popular route to the nebula. But no.. lol.

Did Frontier make a visual representation of the exploration in the game yet, would be fun to see.

Jedi2016

I'm impressed by the almost-compulsion-driven exploration people are doing in this game..

For some reason I decided to go from Sol to visit the Horsehead nebula.. And thought to scan some systems on my way. But I've already passed the Running Man nebula and not a single system on the way isn't explored already.. I even changed course to see if I had accidentally overlapped a popular route to the nebula. But no.. lol.
Yeah, that's my biggest problem right now. I've gotten.. I think two systems with my name on them, and maybe a few more odd planets that no one bothered to scan. That's out of at least two hundred systems.

Granted, I'm headed in a popular direction, more or less where you're going. Round trip from Sol to Betelgeuse to Rigel and back to Sol. I think next time I'm just going to pick some random direction without any kind of popular goal at the end.

The increased demand for the CH Products stick and throttle has been interesting to see. The price is now 50% higher than it was when I was first considering them. I'd love to see a graph that shows the increase in sales. Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen really are tapping a starved demographic. So much money just waiting to be spent.

So my EDTracker is working great now (non-mag version).

I had previously complained about it constantly drifting, but I realized I had disabled the auto-centre option, which they recommend you enable. Works great now! Seems like the fov in head look mode is a lot wider.

Slowly making my way towards a vulture and I'm finally comfortable with the crab t. flight hotas setup.

Loooove my Vulture. First ship I'm going to keep whenever I buy another--very fun to fly but requires constant maneuvering to stay alive.

Nymerio

I got a Beta Hydri permit from the feds, what do I do there? I jumped over but there was no mission or anything...

Oh, and how do I find systems with resource extraction sites? Is there a particular filter I can use in the galaxy map to find them?

So my EDTracker is working great now (non-mag version).

I had previously complained about it constantly drifting, but I realized I had disabled the auto-centre option, which they recommend you enable. Works great now! Seems like the fov in head look mode is a lot wider.

Loooove my Vulture. First ship I'm going to keep whenever I buy another--very fun to fly but requires constant maneuvering to stay alive.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting this :)

The increased demand for the CH Products stick and throttle has been interesting to see. The price is now 50% higher than it was when I was first considering them. I'd love to see a graph that shows the increase in sales. Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen really are tapping a starved demographic. So much money just waiting to be spent.

got my Fighterstick for < $100. waiting for the throttle pro to get to me (shipped yesterday). My total will be about $225 for both. If Amazon comes through with the $110 price on the throttle stick, I'll be sending the one in transit back.

I got a Beta Hydri permit from the feds, what do I do there? I jumped over but there was no mission or anything...

Oh, and how do I find systems with resource extraction sites? Is there a particular filter I can use in the galaxy map to find them?

I'm stuck here too. People told me that it's bugged but you'll eventually get a different Federal mission--I haven't yet, and it's been weeks. The only Fed missions I get are invite to Beta Hydri, which I can't do because I already have it. This one station I was at today had TWO Federal Invtations to Beta Hydri, both unable to be accepted.

Then:
QEa3UkK.png

Now:
2VmW7uk.png

Nymerio

I seem to somehow have fucked up my EDTracker. Wanted to flash the new firmware (4.0.3 for the 9150 version). The GUI recognized the tracker before I flashed but after I flashed the new version it doesn't connect to the tracker anymore. The only thing that works now is the non magnetometer version.

Shifty76

I'm stuck here too. People told me that it's bugged but you'll eventually get a different Federal mission--I haven't yet, and it's been weeks. The only Fed missions I get are invite to Beta Hydri, which I can't do because I already have it. This one station I was at today had TWO Federal Invtations to Beta Hydri, both unable to be accepted.
Just keep grinding faction missions for Fed aligned parties and you'll get another progression mission eventually. There is nothing at Beta Hydrae for you.

Shifty76

Man your trading profits multiply quick once you get the bigger ships.

Did some trading for a few hours last night in my python and went from 90m in assets to 110m. Now I'm debating selling off the python for a type 9.

2900/t profit round trip x 500T cargo = nearly 1.5m profit per trip. That'd earn me enough to kit out another vulture for combat in no time.

Just keep grinding faction missions for Fed aligned parties and you'll get another progression mission eventually. There is nothing at Beta Hydrae for you.

Yeah, I actually saw a new Fed Navy mission yesterday...after I had already bought and was flying a Cobra for exploration. However, 130 ly into our exploration trip, a few members of the Wing realized they had bad builds for exploring and so we turned back to earn more money.

Still, from just that short trip, I scored 250k upon returning. Only in the top 70% of the Tsu goal, though.

EDIT: Current discount the reward provides is 15% off an Asp for 7 days. That's about a million off the total cost, and still two more tiers to go. Wonder if it can get down to 25% off.

EDIT 21: Very cool post that reminds us about the plans for EVA/pilot features: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/30o158/the_future_of_elite_dangerous_pilots/

Shifty76

So I sold my python. Bought a FDL and kitted it out in all A grade components, including a huge plasma accelerator. I'm in love!

Doesn't have the multi-role capability of the python but holy hell does it shred large ships fast.

DrBo42

So I sold my python. Bought a FDL and kitted it out in all A grade components, including a huge plasma accelerator. I'm in love!

Doesn't have the multi-role capability of the python but holy hell does it shred large ships fast.

How much did that run you?

Let me guess, you paired that plasma accelerator with 4 multi-cannons?

DrBo42

Shifty76

Cheers. I'd like to try it but I'm kinda scared the hardpoint placement is something I won't like. How would you compare the shields vs Python? I feel like my shields are paper thin without stacked boosters.
Shields are WAY stronger than on the python. Haven't lost them yet, despite getting ganked by an anaconda, python and cobra all at once last night.

Might record another vid tonight showing it in action at my fave RES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom