• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portman

I just noticed in the newsletter that the soundtrack is up on the store for anyone that is interested. Digital and Physical (3 disc) releases and a fair price for that much music in my opinion.

fishbang

Alright, my Thrust Up button on my throttle is broken and it's kinda crucial to combat--I won't even venture into Open mode without it.

I think I'll upgrade, though--I'm familiar enough with the game and using HOTAS that I'd like the additional buttons and build quality.

So, X52 vs X55--go! Is the X55 worth the extra money? If it is, I'm willing to shell it out, but otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy with the X52.

I'm reasonably happy with my X55, but if I had it to do again (and if HOTAS pricing and availability had been favorable) I'd get the X52, or maybe wait out the supply problems with the CH products.

The X55 has loads of inputs, sure, and I've got well-above-average sized hands with finger length enough to reach them all, but I can't get past the feeling that (almost) nothing on the stick or throttle is easy enough to reach or quite where it should be. The ergonomics aren't quite right, and it feels like there was plenty of interest in how many buttons to add and little regard for their placement.

I'm also not entirely happy with the build quality. My set is fully functional (aside from one issue that I may have caused through carelessness), but I don't particularly like the way the buttons feel, and the hat switches are too loose and rattly for my liking. The stick is a bit creaky in the Z-axis, and the throttle assembly is far too tight, even at the lowest friction setting. These are smallish issues and ymmv, I know, but they were enough to motivate me to do some minor modding, and there are plenty of people out there who seem to have had far bigger problems with their X55s.

Like I said, though, I'm reasonably happy, but I just don't quite think it was the right value for me.

My dig into ED concept art has gotten deep. Really hope we get to see some of this stuff:

oFu95K4.jpg

SSFMPaQ.jpg

tnWmRXE.jpg

2I3GF6E.jpg

XWcbbux.jpg

jVaiPTR.jpg

sUc0ffr.jpg

BOPVAk5.jpg

I wish Fed capital ships looked more like this:

Black is the pro, no?

Wow, didn't even realize the difference there. Good call.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow it's the top seller on steam right now.

That many people care about what store they buy games from? People are ridiculous.

I knew I should've waited for a Steam release. sigh

I better get a damn Steam key.

Some reddit insight:

Everyone calm your tits.

This type of situation has happened in the past with games that have been added to Steam after the initial launch of the game. There is no limitation from a technical standpoint, this is purely a business negotiation/legal-level discussion between Valve and Frontier. It would most likely require Frontier to share their database of activated product keys with Valve so Valve can use it to properly authenticate existing customers when they go to activate their product key on Steam.

The most recent example that comes to my mind is when SCS Software got Euro Truck Simulator 2 greenlit on Steam. SCS made the necessary arrangements/negotiations/ritual sacrifices to Lord Gaben to allow existing owners of ETS2 the ability to activate their copy on Steam using their original product keys. There was no issuing of secondary keys for use specifically on Steam, so this talk of Frontier having to issue secondary keys to existing customers that could potentially be misused is pure FUD.

I purchased ETS2 originally from Amazon, and was able to activate it on Steam using the same key issued to me at the time of purchase once the game became available on Steam.

Here's proof from SCS for those that need it: http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=165173

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Wow it's the top seller on steam right now.

That many people care about what store they buy games from? People are ridiculous.

Of course we do. Who wants games scattered across all kinds of different sites and programs?

Of course we do. Who wants games scattered across all kinds of different sites and programs?

I'm with Sinatar on this. If the game is good, and I want it, I wouldn't let the release platform prevent it. I've always found that weird BUT to each their own.

fantomena

Since the game came out on Steam today Im heavily considering buying it.

But I have some questions I hope someone will answer:

1) How frequently are the devs updating the game with content?
2) What are their plans for future updates?
3) Is it a very good space ship simulator?
4) How big is the game? Like, what do I do?
5) Is there any story here or just "free to play"/sandbox?
6) Im hearing about online only, will there be an offline mode in the future?

And obviously, beginner tips are appreciated. :)

Shifty76

1) Very frequently
2) Planetary landings is a biggie
3) Yes, fantastic at that
4) 400b systems to visit. Do what you like.
5) Sandbox. If you want defined goals you will be disappointed
6) Likely not

GeoGonzo

1) We've had two very large content patches and at least one (even larger) is coming, but that one will probably take at least a month.

2) Their plan is to have both free patches (fixing stuff and adding some content) and paid expansions, for the largest changes such as leaving our ship or planetary landings.

3) It's probably the best, as long as you are looking for fun gameplay instead of realism. Best space ship simulator is actually Kerbal Space Program, actually.

4) Game world is huge, game content not as much. You trade, pirate, hunt pirates and explore, on your own or while meeting other players.

5) No campaign story. Its all about getting wealthier, raising your exploration/combat/trading ranks, improving your reputation with minor and large factions and simply enjoying the process of actually playing the game.

6) I wouldn't count on it.

Lots of this has been covered, but regardless:

1) Frequent! There is a patch every other week or so (and these aren't just bug fixes--some of them can be important changes, usually based on player feedback), and seems to be a significant content update every other month or so. April/May's update will be their biggest yet, they say
2) Check this FAQ--the scope is huge: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ#What_are_the_expansions.3F
3) I haven't played many ship sims but it seems amazing to me. Watching dev diaries, they understand the importance of creating the feeling of a cockpit, especially in regards to input. Unless you are, of course, controlling with a mouse and keyboard, you'll never see a mouse cursor except when you're using in-game terminals
4) You'll hear disparaging descriptions like "a mile wide but an inch deep", which isn't completely fair, but it is in some regards. I think your enjoyment will largely be determined by how attracted you are to space sims, how much you like sandbox games, and whether or not you're okay with creating your "own" storyline. The Community Goals are the highlight of "things to do" for me, and there are usually multiple goals. These goals also influence the factions and world simulation, as well.
5) See above--there is a large, persistent, and ever-changing galaxy. News updates appear daily or every other day.
6) Online only, unfortunately.

It can be intimidating to get into but it's a blast, IMO. The game treats you like you've just left the academy and know how to do everything in your ship, so getting over that hump alone takes time.

My in-game name is ANTON SUGAR, if you end up buying.

It's truly baffling.

People want their toys in the same toybox.

And likely want to spend their already bought Steambucks on DLC and future expansions. Or wait for a sale.

I'm not fully convinced we would be rid of their proprietary launcher even if it gets bought on Steam anyways.

Sarcasm

Even with a secondary launcher its still better on steam, as in more feature rich + in one spot.

Don't really understand what is so baffling about this. If small time/no names can do this, Frontier can. I mean look at Kerbal Space Program. They gave out keys.

This is the real motive:

iAisQ8OLktKCs.gif

DrBo42

Top seller on Steam right now. Whatever Steam's cut of the profit is, I have no doubt the sales will be well worth it.

Edit: 1 fucking minute late. Haha.

Just pulled the trigger on the FDL but I couldn't bring myself to sell the Vulture. Kind of redundant.

14 mil for a A4 Plasma Accelerator? Couldn't resist. From 90 mil all the way back to 7 mil after outfitting the FDL. Still have a 30 mil Asp and a 30 mil Vulture though.

Shifty76

Just pulled the trigger on the FDL but I couldn't bring myself to sell the Vulture. Kind of redundant.

14 mil for a A4 Plasma Accelerator? Couldn't resist. From 90 mil all the way back to 7 mil after outfitting the FDL. Still have a 30 mil Asp and a 30 mil Vulture though.

My new hobby is 1 shotting pirate sidewinders/eagles with my PA as they scan me for cargo

Hey guys,

I was debating on this and Star Citizen, since ED is now on Steam, I went with it. I just have a quick question. Do I need a joystick or is keyboard/mouse adequate?

Shifty76

Hey guys,

I was debating on this and Star Citizen, since ED is now on Steam, I went with it. I just have a quick question. Do I need a joystick or is keyboard/mouse adequate?

Stick is preferable, but it plays absolutely fine with mouse/kb.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS or T16000m are both solid affordable options if looking at sticks.

Stick is preferable, but it plays absolutely fine with mouse/kb.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS or T16000m are both solid affordable options if looking at sticks.

Ok cool. I'll just use m/k for the moment. If I end up really enjoying the game, I'll drop some money on a stick later. Probably the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS, since they're only $50.

Danj

Yeah uh I backed the Kickstarter so there was no product key, it was just an account that was created on Frontier's servers. So that's not gonna work. Maybe they could make a form where you could log in to your Frontier account, and then log in again with Steam to link the two accounts?

Ok cool. I'll just use m/k for the moment. If I end up really enjoying the game, I'll drop some money on a stick later. Probably the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS, since they're only $50.

I have the T-Flight HOTAS and it's great. Unlike some of the more expensive HOTAS units there isn't quite enough buttons to fit everything on the throttle and stick, but it works pretty well anyway.

fleck0

Yeah uh I backed the Kickstarter so there was no product key, it was just an account that was created on Frontier's servers. So that's not gonna work. Maybe they could make a form where you could log in to your Frontier account, and then log in again with Steam to link the two accounts?

Many games have merged/linked proprietary accounts with steam accounts when they get listed. Sometimes you lose access to the old launcher, sometimes you can log in into both. It's been a pretty common practice for years.

Doing a spot of human bounty hunting last night, come across CMDR Majinvash in Lave, in a Wing of 2. However, his wingman is a fair distance from him, so I interdict him. He had a 3 million credit bounty in that system alone.

He submits, immediately comes about and opens fire. My wingman drops in, and he cuts and runs. Was pretty intense to come across a huge bounty like that.

What was even more amusing is that I've seen him post on the FD forums and told him I'd keep an eye out for him.

Small Galaxy!

Next time!

Wow, this game is a lot to take in. Played for around four hours, most of it was training. Then I decided to start and I was completely lost. Watched a few videos and guides, so I have a bit of an understanding of what to do now. I wasn't really liking the m/k control either. Luckily I went through my closet, and I found an old Saitek ST290. This thing is like seven years old, and one of the buttons don't work on it lol. However, I ordered a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas, so this will work until it gets here.

I'm liking it so far, it's just somewhat overwhelming at first. However, just have to get past the learning curve and I should really start enjoying it.

Zemm

How easy is this game to get into for someone that hasn't played something like this before? I'll only be able to use mouse and keyboard or a 360 pad.

frontieruk

How easy is this game to get into for someone that hasn't played something like this before? I'll only be able to use mouse and keyboard or a 360 pad.

East enough, just be prepared to be overwhelmed with the interface there's a lot going on, but it gets easier as you play

Zemm

Thanks, it's really really tempting. Seen quite a few videos of it a while ago and t coming on steam just reminded me of the game.

frontieruk

Thanks, it's really really tempting. Seen quite a few videos of it a while ago and t coming on steam just reminded me of the game.

Now's probably a good time to jump in, get used to the systems as the next update sounds like it's expanding the game a lot.

They really made a mistake not having Steam keys ready for current users out of the gate. The game is getting a good number of negative reviews. Denying their already establish experienced user base the ability to review the game on Steam is a mistake. The game certainly has plenty to criticize but a lot of the negative reviews based on a hour or 2 of game play are ridiculous.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, WTF.

When I started my Elite career I did a little of everything. I traded, I explored, I went mining, I bounty hunted, I did missions, yada yada yada. I seemed to like exploring the best, I loved it actually, so I gradually worked my way from Sidewinder to Eagle to Adder to Cobra to Type 6 (so I could trade like a crazed fiend) all the way to my dream ship the Asp. And I've been exploring ever since, and loving it.

SO, I decide to change gears for a little bit and put weapons back on my Asp and dabble a bit in bounty hunting since they made it more lucrative in the patch. And fuck me, I think I've now become addicted to slaughtering wanted ships. I'm having the time of my life dropping into nav beacons and RES's hunting down the scum of the galaxy who haven't paid their dues. And holy hell, they really did make it more profitable didn't they? I mean Damn, I've made some really good credits in two nights of blowing shit up.

I'm not saying I'm selling my Asp or anything, but I may just "rent" a Vyper and kit it out to see how a real fighting ship fares. I've not flown a Vyper yet, I think it's time to remedy that.

I still manage to do a bit of exploring while bounty hunting though, bopping around civilized systems scanning anything worth the time. And enjoying the view while doing it.

The combat is just that good, Mengy. Embrace it!

Wow, this game is a lot to take in. Played for around four hours, most of it was training. Then I decided to start and I was completely lost. Watched a few videos and guides, so I have a bit of an understanding of what to do now. I wasn't really liking the m/k control either. Luckily I went through my closet, and I found an old Saitek ST290. This thing is like seven years old, and one of the buttons don't work on it lol. However, I ordered a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas, so this will work until it gets here.

I'm liking it so far, it's just somewhat overwhelming at first. However, just have to get past the learning curve and I should really start enjoying it.

It can be overwhelming at first, but after that initial steep learning curve, I wanna say it's pretty easy going. The main obstacle is the game treating new players like trained academy pilots who know the nuances of the universe and their ship.

My suggestion? Watch FD's training videos. Do all the training missions. Maybe find a good ED player and watch some of his videos/stream. Just being familiar with routine actions (docking/landing gear, requesting permission to land at a station, using supercruise and throttling, etc.) can be a huge help.

ED-GAF is great, too :D

EDIT: A Youtuber I like, ObsidianAnt, is live-streaming now: http://www.twitch.tv/obsidianant

They really made a mistake not having Steam keys ready for current users out of the gate. The game is getting a good number of negative reviews. Denying their already establish experienced user base the ability to review the game on Steam is a mistake. The game certainly has plenty to criticize but a lot of the negative reviews based on a hour or 2 of game play are ridiculous.

You can't review the game on Steam if you don't own it on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom