• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought E:D last night and I've done a few of the training missions, right now I'm feeling very overwhelmed, can anyone point me towards stuff to do at the beginning?

I bought E:D last night and I've done a few of the training missions, right now I'm feeling very overwhelmed, can anyone point me towards stuff to do at the beginning?

In terms of just learning how to do stuff: check out a Bulletin Board at a station and pick up some missions. Be careful of picking up missions that are marked as an illegal activity--these aren't impossible, but stations will fine you if you're carrying or doing illegal acts.

Running a few BB missions will get you a handful of cash (it is not the most efficient way to make money, however) AND get you used to jumping to different systems, docking, and the day-to-day details of travel.

After that, I say hit up a Nav Beacon or Resource Extraction Site and help take down Wanted criminals. When you target a ship and you're in range (2-4km, depending on your sensors), you'll do a scan--the low left panel of your HUD displays details about the targeted pilot. If he's "Wanted", you can engage, but if you're new and in your Sidewinder, you may want to wait until the local Federal Security Service ships have already started attacking the pilot, and you can just piggyback off the kill.

Once you have some more money, the game starts to open up a bit more, as you can buy new ships.

In the very beginning, Bulletin Board missions can be a decent way to make some money and general trading is the least demanding way to make money.

I use this tool for locating trading routes and near by commodities:

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

I would limit combat while you are in a sidewinder but if you feel confident you can try some bounty hunting at nav beacons (these can be found near the star of inhabited systems).

Get out of the sidewinder when you can (just be sure you have money to cover your ship buy back, this can be seen on the right ui panel).

If you want to trade for a bit a Hauler or Adder are reasonable next steps.

If you want to focus on combat, the Eagle -> Viper is the natural progression from the sidewinder.

I feel like reaching a Cobra is kind of a game changer because it's by far the most versatile early ships.

elyetis

Okay, WTF.

When I started my Elite career I did a little of everything. I traded, I explored, I went mining, I bounty hunted, I did missions, yada yada yada. I seemed to like exploring the best, I loved it actually, so I gradually worked my way from Sidewinder to Eagle to Adder to Cobra to Type 6 (so I could trade like a crazed fiend) all the way to my dream ship the Asp. And I've been exploring ever since, and loving it.

SO, I decide to change gears for a little bit and put weapons back on my Asp and dabble a bit in bounty hunting since they made it more lucrative in the patch. And fuck me, I think I've now become addicted to slaughtering wanted ships. I'm having the time of my life dropping into nav beacons and RES's hunting down the scum of the galaxy who haven't paid their dues. And holy hell, they really did make it more profitable didn't they? I mean Damn, I've made some really good credits in two nights of blowing shit up.

I'm not saying I'm selling my Asp or anything, but I may just "rent" a Vyper and kit it out to see how a real fighting ship fares. I've not flown a Vyper yet, I think it's time to remedy that.

I still manage to do a bit of exploring while bounty hunting though, bopping around civilized systems scanning anything worth the time. And enjoying the view while doing it.
RES are definitely more lucrative now. My main gripe thought, is that it still has the same problem since the release, it doesn't really scale much as you get better ship ( or with wings ).
I don't know how they intend to tacle that problem, but I think the general idea is that we lack places were there is harder/in bigger number of wanted ennemie ( with bigger bounty ). That kind of balancing should really be a priority.

RES are definitely more lucrative now. My main gripe thought, is that it still has the same problem since the release, it doesn't really scale much as you get better ship ( or with wings ).
I don't know how they intend to tacle that problem, but I think the general idea is that we lack places were there is harder/in bigger number of wanted ennemie ( with bigger bounty ). That kind of balancing should really be a priority.

Strong Signal Sources are one of my favorite "Wing activities". Always somewhat challenging and a lot of fun.

I agree, though--it would be cool if big Wings/groups of pirates or criminals would jump into an RES and start wreaking havoc.

ALRIGHT!

So I made some good progress setting up my HOTAS. Feels pretty damn good, but I admit that getting used to 90 button commands on this stick and throttle took some time to get used to. Never having to reference the keyboard for anything (even the game menu options) is nice. I was going through the tutorial missions fairly smoothly, but I ran into some very real issues with the tutorial mission where enemies come in waves and all you have is the gimbaled gatling gun and the beam laser thing. Anyone else have trouble with that mission? I felt very held back by my weapon options. I found it difficult to maintain a good lock on the target for the beam laser damage to ramp up. I also had a bit of trouble getting the enemy in my sights when I was able to drop their shields.

I watched all the tutorial videos so I understand the whole optimal speed for turning stuff, and I was frequently toggling more power to engines to make my turning speed higher and faster. I would occasionally hit the booster to gain some distance then come around, but I found that tended to give the enemy more advantage than me with that beam laser vs their pulse lasers.

Is it as simple as needing to be able to aim better or is that particular tutorial just pretty hard? Is the beam laser kinda garbo for dog fighting small craft like it felt? Are there any dogfighting videos that are better than the tutorial videos you might recommend that may help improve my kill speed?

Also, am I not supposed to be landing manually? No auto pilot for this shit? I wanted to shoot myself. But I will say I improved my speed from getting into the station to landing from 9 minutes --> 5 minutes --> 1.5 minutes. But it never felt comfortable. Initially I just assumed I could come in from any angle to the landing platform and be good but nope! Gotta face the direction you came in.

Nymerio

ALRIGHT!

So I made some good progress setting up my HOTAS. Feels pretty damn good, but I admit that getting used to 90 button commands on this stick and throttle took some time to get used to. Never having to reference the keyboard for anything (even the game menu options) is nice. I was going through the tutorial missions fairly smoothly, but I ran into some very real issues with the tutorial mission where enemies come in waves and all you have is the gimbaled gatling gun and the beam laser thing. Anyone else have trouble with that mission? I felt very held back by my weapon options. I found it difficult to maintain a good lock on the target for the beam laser damage to ramp up. I also had a bit of trouble getting the enemy in my sights when I was able to drop their shields.

I watched all the tutorial videos so I understand the whole optimal speed for turning stuff, and I was frequently toggling more power to engines to make my turning speed higher and faster. I would occasionally hit the booster to gain some distance then come around, but I found that tended to give the enemy more advantage than me with that beam laser vs their pulse lasers.

Is it as simple as needing to be able to aim better or is that particular tutorial just pretty hard? Is the beam laser kinda garbo for dog fighting small craft like it felt? Are there any dogfighting videos that are better than the tutorial videos you might recommend that may help improve my kill speed?

Also, am I not supposed to be landing manually? No auto pilot for this shit? I wanted to shoot myself. But I will say I improved my speed from getting into the station to landing from 9 minutes --> 5 minutes --> 1.5 minutes. But it never felt comfortable. Initially I just assumed I could come in from any angle to the landing platform and be good but nope! Gotta face the direction you came in.

For nice turns you can disable flight assist while turning and enable it afterwards to line up your shots. Never did that particular tutorial though, if you have the basics down you may as well just jump into the game proper. If you absolutely can't stand docking there's a docking computer that does that for you.

Laser + multi-cannon is basically a staple for low-mid level combat, so I wouldn't say that setup is garbage necessary. However, hitting smaller ships, in general, is difficult, so you'll want to try and get a good angle on them, take out their shields, then pound them with your multi-cannon. Beam/thermal weapons are best against shields, while cannon/kinetic weapons are best against hulls. Of course, kinetic weapons DO still damage shields and thermal weapons damage hull, it's just not the most effective--however, if it's all you have, go for it.

Often time dogfights can turn into jousting matches--try to learn how to "break" the joust using your ship's maneuverability. If you time it right, you can flip your ship around just as the enemy is passing you, putting yourself right behind them or in a blindspot. Wait too long and they will be too far or starting their own turnaround maneuver; start too early, and they'll just slow down and fire on you.

Landing manually=the shit. Honestly, I had heard so much about how hard docking was, I was underwhelmed when I tried it. It's always felt pretty simple to me.

However, you CAN get a docking computer. It does cost money and it occupies an internal component slot.

EDIT: For MKB CMDRs:

0KwfPUR.jpg

I don't think I posted this in here. I'm Felix Lighter in game and anyone can add me if they'd like. If new players want some help, I'm willing to wing up and do whatever.

I don't think I posted this in here. I'm Felix Lighter in game and anyone can add me if they'd like. If new players want some help, I'm willing to wing up and do whatever.

I'll add you. I'm ANTON SUGAR in-game. Currently exploring, plan to be back at Tsu by 4/10, but happy to join up after that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, so I stored my Asp and bought a Vliper this morning, fitted it all out with Class A gear and beams w/ multicannons, then went out hunting. It's a fast ship, but I have to say I didn't like it much. Felt so underpowered and weak compared to my Asp, although with shield cells and boosters it can hold it's own, but I can't have them all turned on at the same time because they just draw too much power from even the best power plant and distributor the ship can take. And I can't even see that well out of it, I kept looking up during a turning fight but all I can see is my roof!

Nah, sold it back after an hour and took my Asp back out hunting. Felt so much better!

I love flying Eagles but man they are made of paper, lol.

Shifty76

Well, so I stored my Asp and bought a Vliper this morning, fitted it all out with Class A gear and beams w/ multicannons, then went out hunting. It's a fast ship, but I have to say I didn't like it much. Felt so underpowered and weak compared to my Asp, although with shield cells and boosters it can hold it's own, but I can't have them all turned on at the same time because they just draw too much power from even the best power plant and distributor the ship can take. And I can't even see that well out of it, I kept looking up during a turning fight but all I can see is my roof!

Nah, sold it back after an hour and took my Asp back out hunting. Felt so much better!

I love flying Eagles but man they are made of paper, lol.

Try a vulture instead. More expensive, but so good.

Just noticed there is an empire community goal where you hunt down pirates and turn the bounties into the station at Facece. I'm all over that! Grind your empire ranks for the permit to get there though :)

thanks for the responses. I'll keep playing that tutorial missions until I feel like a boss. Last thing I need is to find myself in a bad situation vs a human opponent with 90 damn buttons I'm new to and panicking.

I had a very hard time enjoying the constant beam laser weapon. the pulse fire laser weapon felt fine. But that damn beam weapon...just felt like something designed to drop the shields of less mobile ships rather than fighters. I guess I'll see when I decide to get into the real game.

Also nice to see the game runs on Ultra at like 100fps on my 2009 rig with just a GPU upgrade.

Some Imperial Justice is being served this weekend. I was hoping for a combat goal.

Come to think of it I have like 1 mil in Imperial Bounties to turn in already.

Er...that'd be an EMPIRE community goal, not Alliance. The same one I mentioned above actually :)

Note that you need to hold the rank of at least Count to be able to access Facece as it is a permit only system.

Damn it, I knew I should have ranked up for the Empire.

Shifty76

New Alliance Community Goal: http://i.imgur.com/ZDQgpw9.jpg

Basically, there was an assassination attempt on the Emperor's life this morning and if you sign up for this community goal, you'll be rewarded for killing criminals who are Wanted by the Empire.

Er...that'd be an EMPIRE community goal, not Alliance. The same one I mentioned above actually :)

Note that you need to hold the rank of at least Count to be able to access Facece as it is a permit only system.

Shifty76

Heh, had 980k in Imperial bounties saved up already so turned them in. Went from insufficient contribution to top 5%

Now to find a nice nearby system to hunt in. Othel is really nice, but it's 60 ly away.

Eight hours in and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Not really
. I've just been doing courier missions to start building up some money. I tried a combat one, but it didn't go so well. I had to destroy two traders or something. I went to that system, but I really didn't know what I was looking for. I saw some players attacking some ships so I joined in. I just ended up getting a bounty and the other players killed me. :(

Not really
. I've just been doing courier missions to start building up some money. I tried a combat one, but it didn't go so well. I had to destroy two traders or something. I went to that system, but I really didn't know what I was looking for. I saw some players attacking some ships so I joined in. I just ended up getting a bounty and the other players killed me. :(

For the kill missions, I'd stick to the ones that are for pirates, definitely in the beginning.

Not really

Haha, I stuck in Solo mode for a loooong time, until I felt very comfortable with the controls and what I was doing.

elyetis

Strong Signal Sources are one of my favorite "Wing activities". Always somewhat challenging and a lot of fun.

I agree, though--it would be cool if big Wings/groups of pirates or criminals would jump into an RES and start wreaking havoc.
My problem isn't specifically about RES, but the general balance ( reward wise ) of fighting/bounty hunting in the game. RES is the best way to make money, but you have no way of choosing harder ( but more rewarding ) RES ( or fighting place in general ), meaning as your ship get better ( and yourself too ), you don't even really make much more money out of it.

I'm happy I was able to go from make Viper to the Vulture while doing bounty hunting, but it really didn't change much about what I make out of bounty hunting reward wise. That's a real problem compared to trading.

I was thinking about playing solo, but that seems like it would take some of the fun out of it!

I do miss Open Play--haven't been able to get into it for a while now because I'm kinda babysitting some friends who just got the game and they don't feel confident enough to play with others...yet.

My problem isn't specifically about RES, but the general balance ( reward wise ) of fighting/bounty hunting in the game. RES is the best way to make money, but you have no way of choosing harder ( but more rewarding ) RES ( or fighting place in general ), meaning as your ship get better ( and yourself too ), you don't even really make much more money out of it.

I'm happy I was able to go from make Viper to the Vulture while doing bounty hunting, but it really didn't change much about what I make out of bounty hunting reward wise. That's a real problem compared to trading.

Ah, I see. Yeah, some variations of RES would be nice, like we have with Conflict Zones and Signal Sources.

Oh wow Count is the second to the last rank. Ugh. I don't know if I have it in me to grind that much rep. I've never since I started playing seen an Imperial progression mission.

Got enough money today to afford a Vulture + insurance. Tried it out with stock outfit and wow this thing is agile. I thought it is as good as a Viper in that but not at all. It even feels better than an Eagle.

Traded in my fully featured Viper to get the Vulture and I do not really miss it. The cockpit of the Vulture is so great with the Oculus Rift. It feels sooooo big and you can see all around it - I LOVE IT. Flew some more bounty hunting @ ressource extraction and upgraded some things - Power Plant, Distributor, Large Lasers and now I have a real Anaconda Killer :D

Vulture club what what

Keep an eye on those Vipers, though. They can be a pain in the ass in conflict zones when you're working on bigger ships--they buzz around and work on your shields then try to escape. I'm almost positive there is some kind of aggro factor based on the ship you're in.

It's funny, there are even Sidewinder wing groups who can be devastating :( The are aggro as fuck and you just have to run :( It was this way in my Viper as well. I'm more afraid of those small groups than Anacondas, Phythons, etc.

guys, I'm in the middle of this last tutorial (supercruise) and it says it's going to take 20 minutes to get to the destination.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?

Jedi2016

guys, I'm in the middle of this last tutorial (supercruise) and it says it's going to take 20 minutes to get to the destination.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?
I've never done the tutorials, but I've had supercruise trips take that long. Depends on how far away it is. Usually a problem in large binary systems with very distant stars, like Centauri.

I've never done the tutorials, but I've had supercruise trips take that long. Depends on how far away it is. Usually a problem in large binary systems with very distant stars, like Centauri.

well then.

yea the location is 3.15LY away. At first it was looking like it was going to be fast....then it hit me with a 24 minute timer.

still 15 minutes to go. I guess I'll go do something else and set an alarm. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DrBo42

well then.

yea the location is 3.15LY away. At first it was looking like it was going to be fast....then it hit me with a 24 minute timer.

still 15 minutes to go. I guess I'll go do something else and set an alarm. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That doesn't sound right to me. That's like a proper hyperspace jump. Ly (light years) are hyperspace jumps, Ls (light seconds) are supercruise ranges.

That doesn't sound right to me. That's like a proper hyperspace jump. Ly (light years) are hyperspace jumps, Ls (light seconds) are supercruise ranges.

IDK. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly. It is "Ly". Definitely lightyears. And it was a jump where I had to charge the frameshift drive and go max throttle, then set my destination on the star map thing. I'm just glad I have 2 computers.

DrBo42

IDK. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly. It is "Ly". Definitely lightyears. And it was a jump where I had to charge the frameshift drive and go max throttle, then set my destination on the star map thing. I'm just glad I have 2 computers.

Is your destination in the Navigation panel an orbit icon? Series of orbit circles with spheres of planets etc on them or does it look like a planet or station of some sort?

Jedi2016

No, something else going on there... anything over about a quarter of a light year requires a full-on hyperspace jump, and those take only seconds.

I'm not sure that "24" you're seeing is minutes.. that may be days. Supercruise is far too slow to travel interstellar distances.

A screenshot might be helpful here.

Oh, and bear in mind there are two different "frame shift drive" buttons.. one for supercruise and one for hyperspace. Make sure you've hit the right one.

Yeah, if it's light years away, you need to align with the destination and press your FSD button again. That should put you in hyperspace and jump you to the target.

I've had destinations within a system that are 30k light seconds (I think) away and yeah, they take a while to get to. Players have requested the ability to hyperjump between stars in a system to get around this--we'll see.

EDIT: Kinda bummed that I'm exploring while all these new gaffers are on--would love to tag along. Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom