• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Shields are WAY stronger than on the python. Haven't lost them yet, despite getting ganked by an anaconda, python and cobra all at once last night.

Might record another vid tonight showing it in action at my fave RES.

Please do.

In other news it's absurd how few people even know how to use the wings system or comms in general. Going through an RES right now popping Condas and this Viper shows up unable to last hit any of it so I offer a wing invite to at least give him some of the profits but he responds "How do I do that?" What?

Pomerlaw

w9YdE0F.jpg

Shields are WAY stronger than on the python. Haven't lost them yet, despite getting ganked by an anaconda, python and cobra all at once last night.

Might record another vid tonight showing it in action at my fave RES.

You're tempting me to replace my Vulture but I love the maneuverability. How is the FDL in that department? God I hate flying my Asp at this point because it carries so much momentum.

Shifty76

You're tempting me to replace my Vulture but I love the maneuverability. How is the FDL in that department? God I hate flying my Asp at this point because it carries so much momentum.

It's pretty tight. Mind you, FA off makes all PvE fights trivial.

Got some pretty good footage recorded. Just over 1m in bounties in around 25 mins, including a few really quick anaconda kills. Love it when the PA hits a power plant :D

Just encoding now then will let it upload overnight as my upload speed BLOWS (that 25m vid will take 4-5 hours to upload...yay Canadian "high speed" internet)

HelloMeow

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131659&p=2032104&viewfull=1#post2032104
We have received more than 5 entries. The first two prior to this current set were entirely bogus (it looks like). We're going to verify the entries this morning (GMT). Back with an update soon.

This was an exhilarating night to say the least. Someone posted on the official forums that he found the Titan cards. A while later he stated he found them by accident in his "home system". Some people, including me found the system he was talking about. He turned out to be legit.

I hope I'm with the first 5. This is nerve wrecking.

8bit

Knows the Score
Best of luck to you!

I didn't get a chance to look, but was it a random system or one that could have been guessed related to the prize somehow?

HelloMeow

Best of luck to you!

I didn't get a chance to look, but was it a random system or one that could have been guessed related to the prize somehow?

I think I've traveled over 2000ly going after hunches and clues, but in the end it seems to be completely random.

Repo Man

I'm still taking my baby steps with this game as I just don't have as much time to play as I'd like to have but I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm basically looking to get a few solid starter ships as I'm still zooming around in the sidey. I'm mainly interested in trading so should I just upgrade to the hauler or perhaps save up for something a bit better ? I'd also like to know what ship would be cheap but good enough to do some combat missions.

I don't have any good trade routes yet or anything, atm my main source of income is hauling missions and such.

Shifty76

I'm still taking my baby steps with this game as I just don't have as much time to play as I'd like to have but I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm basically looking to get a few solid starter ships as I'm still zooming around in the sidey. I'm mainly interested in trading so should I just upgrade to the hauler or perhaps save up for something a bit better ? I'd also like to know what ship would be cheap but good enough to do some combat missions.

I don't have any good trade routes yet or anything, atm my main source of income is hauling missions and such.

Adder is a solid choice that can trade and also do combat. At least until you can afford to outfit a cobra anyway.

Askani

I finally got wise last night and I realized that when I pop into a RES, I can see different groups of wanted ships. When I kill them, those are what the RES will continue to be repopulated with. As in, I fight Sidewinders and/or some Eagles and/or some Cobras, or I'll fight Cobras and Vipers, or I'll fight Cobras and Federal Dropships/Pythons or the occasional Anaconda.

So clearly I want the larger ships because it's much more money. To reset the RES do I just have to leave the RES and come back? Or fly to a different one? Or relog? I saw people on Reddit say relog but I wasn't sure if that was still the case.

I finally got wise last night and I realized that when I pop into a RES, I can see different groups of wanted ships. When I kill them, those are what the RES will continue to be repopulated with. As in, I fight Sidewinders and/or some Eagles and/or some Cobras, or I'll fight Cobras and Vipers, or I'll fight Cobras and Federal Dropships/Pythons or the occasional Anaconda.

So clearly I want the larger ships because it's much more money. To reset the RES do I just have to leave the RES and come back? Or fly to a different one? Or relog? I saw people on Reddit say relog but I wasn't sure if that was still the case.

It should reset your instance when you get to supercruise, so you can jump back into a "new" RES instance.

I think they are planning on doing something about the recharging shields by entering supercruise. I'm kind of torn on the issue. Waiting for a shield to recover is just frustrating when you've disengaged and are completely out of danger. However, I can see the potential issues with being able recharge shields with a quick jump out and back in.

Jedi2016

I think they are planning on doing something about the recharging shields by entering supercruise. I'm kind of torn on the issue. Waiting for a shield to recover is just frustrating when you've disengaged and are completely out of danger. However, I can see the potential issues with being able recharge shields with a quick jump out and back in.
Personally, I think the clock should continue to tick in supercruise. So when you exit, it's right where it's supposed to be based on how much time has passed and how many pips you had allocated to Systems before jumping.

Shifty76

Sweet thanks! I got the credits for it too so will be doing some shopping next time I play.

Just remember rule #1 of Elite Dangerous: Never ever ever EVER fly something you can't afford the insurance cost on.

I would also highly recommend visiting www.edshipyard.com and pricing out how much you'll need in order to fit it out the way you want it. Not much point upgrading if you have to fly it stock

Nymerio

My EDTracker is working again, turned out to be bad contact that somehow got worse when I removed it to flash the new firmware.

I hope I have some time after work to grind a bit more for my vulture

GeoGonzo

Personally, I think the clock should continue to tick in supercruise. So when you exit, it's right where it's supposed to be based on how much time has passed and how many pips you had allocated to Systems before jumping.
I agree the clock should continue to tick. If it were up to me (and I know it would be a huge change to the game) a different solution could be to not allow ships to fly without a shield and not allow them to supercruise while the shield is down.

Beginning my exploration trip! Got a Cobra outfitted to explore--getting 24 ly/jump.

I am enjoying it so far. It's kinda refreshing to just hop on for an hour and get some jumps in, then hop back off--nice and non-committal. Longer play periods will require a good book or podcast/tv show, though.

EDIT: Dev update is out:

Hi everyone,

I realise the date and this isn't an April Fools post!

The big release for this week is the Mac beta. If you have beta access then you can access the Mac beta by downloading the launcher from the store in the downloadable products page. You then install the launcher and the game as normal. Any issues found in the Mac beta should be reported in the Mac beta area of the bug reports forums here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112

General discussion on the Mac beta should take place in the Mac area of the forum here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113

We’re also working on the Powerplay update which is shaping up to be the biggest update so far. We know you’re all excited to learn the details and there will be a big announcement in around three weeks’ time. I can say that it will include a new method of interaction in the galaxy.

As well as the big ticket items we’re also working on smaller, but still important additions and improvements. A major part of this is balancing the different roles further and part of this is expanding the drones system. Collection drones will be added and will prove useful for pirates needing to gather cargo in a hurry and also to improve mining efficiency. Players will also be able to transfer fuel using the fuel transfer drones so players can act as buddy tankers for each other.

The collection drones have two modes of operation. The first is a targeted mode where you select something to collect and fire the drone which then collects the cargo or mining chunk and returns it to the ship – make sure that your cargo door is open! This will consume the drone. There’s also an area collection mode so when fired without a target the drone will collect what it can within a radius before it expires.

Last week we released the latest minor update (1.2.06) for the game which contained various fixes and tweaks. Two of the changes impacted the background sim in particular and knowing how many of you enjoy delving into the simulation here are a some details on those changes. Minor factions enter conflict in a few ways such as overtaking a rival minor faction’s influence or reaches 70% but isn’t the controlling minor faction. So once a conflict is declared it then enters one of three states: civil war, war and election. The state is selected from the following criteria:

- Election: two minor factions of the same type that isn't criminal, regardless of home star system
- Civil War: two minor factions of different types or are both criminals, with the same home star system
- War: two minor factions of different types from different home star systems

The conflict ends when the maximum duration is reached or their influence levels move too far apart in the daily update. The victor will the try to take ownership of the loser’s most important starport in the system.

Thanks!

Michael

I appreciate getting the details on how the sim stuff works, but wish we were getting Powerplay info sooner. Sounds like it could be big.

Mining sounds a lot more practical and lucrative with the addition of drones.

DrBo42

Yes! Bring on the drones. Hopefully they'll be used for those level 2 and 3 exploration scans as well. Progress is delicious.

Shifty76

Gotta admit, I have no fucking clue what Powerplay is, but I wonder if it has anything to do with those rumored additional PvP modes.

I don't believe it has anything to do with those.

From what I recall reading it's all to do with the faction influence system, faction missions etc.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I appreciate getting the details on how the sim stuff works, but wish we were getting Powerplay info sooner. Sounds like it could be big.

Mining sounds a lot more practical and lucrative with the addition of drones.

Yeah, once drones are in I'll try mining out again. I love flying within asteroid belts and planetary rings, but mining currently is just the worst way of making credits by far. I actually think I'll enjoy it greatly once the tedium of manually scooping everything up is lessened. I still feel they should increase the rate of processing ore too, maybe double the ore percentage per chunk, anything to make it more profitable per hour as it's so far and away the worst right now.

I've actually come back to civilization from a decent exploration trip and re-armed my Asp for combat. Decided I wanted a change of pace so I bought some pulse lasers and multi cannons, equipped a kill warrant scanner, and went out hunting bounties for a couple hours last night. Had a lot of fun blowing shit up! Four gimballed multi cannons sure can tear through a hull like a hot knife through butter. I had to run away from a wing of three pirates though, found myself much more outmatched than I expected. I think I'm going to keep bounty hunting for a bit and upgrade a few modules to the good ole Asp before I head out into deep space again.

Burny

Gotta admit, I have no fucking clue what Powerplay is, but I wonder if it has anything to do with those rumored additional PvP modes.

Someone from Frontier stated in the official forum that it hasn't anything to do with those.

Edit: Uhhh, drones. :D I can imagine a number of game mechanics build around drones. Shield drones, weapon platform drones, repair drones, drones attaching to a ship and making it trackable to the drone's owner... This is not an april fool's is it? :p

I find myself looking at the Warthog HOTAS/CH Pedals on Amazon far too much. The X55 has been very good for me and I'm not sure I like the idea of pedals instead of a twist rudder but the solid construction is so tempting. I should wait and see what the Star Citizen stick turns out to be, really.

I've actually come back to civilization from a decent exploration trip and re-armed my Asp for combat. Decided I wanted a change of pace so I bought some pulse lasers and multi cannons, equipped a kill warrant scanner, and went out hunting bounties for a couple hours last night. Had a lot of fun blowing shit up! Four gimballed multi cannons sure can tear through a hull like a hot knife through butter. I had to run away from a wing of three pirates though, found myself much more outmatched than I expected. I think I'm going to keep bounty hunting for a bit and upgrade a few modules to the good ole Asp before I head out into deep space again.

Did you turn in your exploration data at Tsu for the community goal? I wonder if it would be worth it for you, once the goal reaches success, to sell your current Asp and then buy one of the discounted ones. It's already at a 15% discount.

Looking forward to getting an Asp of my own once this goal is over! I've dumped a few million into my exploration Cobra, so I figure I'll sell that + its parts and use that + my exploration money to get an Asp. I'll mostly use it for exploration but want to try combat with it, too.

I think the Asp with the white paint job is one of the best looking ships in the game, TBH.

I don't believe it has anything to do with those.

From what I recall reading it's all to do with the faction influence system, faction missions etc.

Someone from Frontier stated in the official forum that it hasn't anything to do with those.

Edit: Uhhh, drones. :D I can imagine a number of game mechanics build around drones. Shield drones, weapon platform drones, repair drones, drones attaching to a ship and making it trackable to the drone's owner... This is not an april fool's is it? :p

Good points. It sounds like a big feature, whatever it is.

Re: drones, hopefully this is the beginning of their implementation of drones and probes. I know they wanted to have probes you could launch for exploration that provide more information on systems, highlight points of interest, etc.

I, personally, am really looking forward to NPC wingmen that can be hired. I really love those sort of micro-management systems, building relationships with "characters", etc. One of my favorites parts of FTL was managing your crew (which isn't the same as wingmen, but that will also come later...).

Unrelated: I hope motion blur is implemented as an option. Nothing obnoxious, but a slight amount of blur would be nice.

DrBo42

Now that would be cool.

With all this drones talk...we all Gallente now boys.

Nymerio

Anyone here playing with flight assist always off? I usually only deactivate it for tight turns but I'm wondering if I should try to get used to always playing without it.

Anyone here playing with flight assist always off? I usually only deactivate it for tight turns but I'm wondering if I should try to get used to always playing without it.

No way, you lose way too much fine control to maintain shots in a fire-fight. It's a lot of fun to play around with but it's no good in tense situations.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Did you turn in your exploration data at Tsu for the community goal? I wonder if it would be worth it for you, once the goal reaches success, to sell your current Asp and then buy one of the discounted ones. It's already at a 15% discount.

What community goal are you talking about? I just turned the data in at the first station I came upon, which was some HIP number system on the outer fringes of Empire space.

I haven't read a Gal News feed in over a month, LOL.

WOAH, I didn't expect that, they finally came to their senses!!!!!!

That CGI trailer is far more fitting for Star Citizen than Elite Dangerous.

Fan trailers are better.

What community goal are you talking about? I just turned the data in at the first station I came upon, which was some HIP number system on the outer fringes of Empire space.

I haven't read a Gal News feed in over a month, LOL.

Oh, haha, there is an exploration community goal in Tsu for the Alliance: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113495

Reward is, aside from the money, a 15% discount on the Asp (although it's only at Tier 6 now, so rewards can still get better).

Hi Macro, thanks for the question. We don't have any plans to do this at the moment, but we'll be listening to player feedback and looking to see how much demand there is.

Just an FYI - there's no functional difference between the Steam and our website version of the game. You can add the game to your existing Steam library. See the instructions below:

We have no plans to do so but we will of course listen to player feedback and assess demand.
Click Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library and add EDLaunch.exe, ordinarily located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\ on a PC.

That seems to be Frontier's official response when asked if they will provide keys to backers.

Hopefully they will reconsider shortly, if I'd known that the game would ever launch on Steam and that they wouldn't provide keys to backers I'd have waited.

Repo Man

Damn it! At work on my break and reading Elite stuff makes me want to play so badly but I just ain't got the time later on. Weekend is here soon but then my missus wants me to level up alts in WoW with her. :(

Sarcasm

Yea I can foresee a shit storm coming over the no keys given thing.

I mean when I see launcher I think of (generic andtypically shitty) MMO or uPlay. And their launcher (Frontiers) is VERY barebones. And my autopilot doesn't work for it cause it only launches one game, unless there is a patch where you have to click on "upgrade".

kvk1

yeah, i would be the saddest panda if we didn't get steam keys

pretty please frontier. with onionhead on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom