• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGonzo

I've been playing the past couple days fumbling my way through. Really fun game but pretty overwhelming with the complexity it offers. Couple questions of things I keep running in to:

While flying around I find lots of things like beacons, and signals, 90% of the time I enter one of these there doesn't seem to be anything there or going on. For instance last night I found a beacon that had some traders inside, when I jumped in they were just floating there and I couldn't see anyway to interact with them. Is this just one of those things were I could pirate them if I wanted or move on?

Yup, that's exactly it. It is also the biggest complain with the Unidentified Signal Source. Randomness is good for variety, but it is frustrating to drop in, roll your eyes and FSD out again and again, looking for a particular kind of encounter.

Is there a way to see what is on a bulletin board at a station before docking there? I keep jumping to different stations looking for missions only to find I can't actually take any of them.

Nope, that's how it is done.

okay guys. I now have 1.5 million credits and a very modestly equipped Cobra. It has the 76k CR beam lasers on the medium hard points and I think I put some midrange gimbaled cannons on the small hard points. I haven't really upgarded anything else.

Some basic questions:

1.) What should I look to add or upgrade if my primary goal for the foreseeable future is fighting with a bit of transporting when I need a break from fighting?

2.) Are there any items that make it so I can shoot longer without running low on power (aside from pushing more power to weapons, of course)?

3.) Also, do shield boosters and the other shield item make them recharge faster?

4.) Do the higher quality interdiction devices (the things that pull people out of hyperspace) increase the likelihood of a successful interdiction?

5.) Should I get a kill warrant scanner?

6.) Generally speaking, what should I look to upgrade first? Or, what parts of a vehicle that will be used maybe 80% fighting and 20% transporting cargo should be my primary upgrades? At what point does spending $500,000 on each cannon/laser begin to make sense, vs maxing out the hull or shield cells or whatever?

ty for all the help, guys.

DrBo42

okay guys. I now have 1.5 million credits and a very modestly equipped Cobra. It has the 76k CR beam lasers on the medium hard points and I think I put some midrange gimbaled cannons on the small hard points. I haven't really upgarded anything else.

Some basic questions:

1.) What should I look to add or upgrade if my primary goal for the foreseeable future is fighting with a bit of transporting when I need a break from fighting?

2.) Are there any items that make it so I can shoot longer without running low on power (aside from pushing more power to weapons, of course)?

3.) Also, do shield boosters and the other shield item make them recharge faster?

4.) Do the higher quality interdiction devices (the things that pull people out of hyperspace) increase the likelihood of a successful interdiction?

5.) Should I get a kill warrant scanner?

6.) Generally speaking, what should I look to upgrade first? Or, what parts of a vehicle that will be used maybe 80% fighting and 20% transporting cargo should be my primary upgrades? At what point does spending $500,000 on each cannon/laser begin to make sense, vs maxing out the hull or shield cells or whatever?

ty for all the help, guys.

1 & 2: Probably a better power distributor if you're running low on wep charge.

3: Shield boosters add a multiplier to your shield strength but as a result keep your shields in a constant state of regeneration, takes fooooorreeeevvveeerrrr to recharge them. Shield cell is a consumable that dumps its power into your shields after a brief start-up time. Only works while shields are still online.

4: I would assume so but honestly I don't waste money on them as I don't go after players.

5: YES. Pays for itself in a very short amount of time.

6: I would say invest in what keeps you combat capable for a longer amount of time, so mainly survivability, maneuvering and power distribution. Get a shield cell now if you plan on doing a sizable amount of hunting. Kill warrant scanner too. Fill any other available utility slot with shield boosters if you have the power.

If you're going to be on today we can wing up and get you some fast credits to fund all your upgrades.

TYTY!

I was watching a stream and a guy had like 3 shield boosters and 2 shield cells or some such. I was just sitting there wondering what the hell they do.

Do you have to manually activate consumables like shield cells or the heat dump things via control groups or do they work automatically?

DrBo42

TYTY!

I was watching a stream and a guy had like 3 shield boosters and 2 shield cells or some such. I was just sitting there wondering what the hell they do.

Do you have to manually activate consumables like shield cells or the heat dump things via control groups or do they work automatically?

Consumables like heat sinks, chaff, ecm, shield cells, limpets will always be a manual activation. Boosters are just a passive thing along with the hull packages.

Jedi2016

I should get shield boosters for my cargo ship. Even when I get interdicted, they still won't be able to chip through my shields before I jump away. :)

DrBo42

I should get shield boosters for my cargo ship. Even when I get interdicted, they still won't be able to chip through my shields before I jump away. :)

It's pretty worth it but if your shields are a pretty low class already it might not save you, unless you immediately submit and start boosting.

Jedi2016

It's pretty worth it but if your shields are a pretty low class already it might not save you, unless you immediately submit and start boosting.
No, my shields are pretty beefy.. hehe. It's just for hauling, so it has no weapons, but I don't like flying without any form of defense, so it still has shields.

Shifty76

Wow, 15m in bounties turned in over 2 days and I'm only top 15% on that Empire community goal.

*Edit. Just had a DREAM RES spawn. Anaconda after Anaconda after Anaconda. Came away with 3.3m in just over an hour. Smallest ship I killed was a clipper/dropship.
Would have stayed but the old PA was outta ammo. 2 shotting Anacondas with that thing never gets old.

Back in the top 5% now :D

Wow, 15m in bounties turned in over 2 days and I'm only top 15% on that Empire community goal.

*Edit. Just had a DREAM RES spawn. Anaconda after Anaconda after Anaconda. Came away with 3.3m in just over an hour. Smallest ship I killed was a clipper/dropship.
Would have stayed but the old PA was outta ammo. 2 shotting Anacondas with that thing never gets old.

Back in the top 5% now :D

Ha, over the weekend, after tons of grinding, I've reached Baron. By the time I reach Count it will be over. At least I'll have all systems except for Founders World available to me and I can buy one of those fancy Imperial Clippers.

DrBo42

Ha, over the weekend, after tons of grinding, I've reached Baron. By the time I reach Count it will be over. At least I'll have all systems except for Founders World available to me and I can buy one of those fancy Imperial Clippers.

Is it true you gain access to Founders World when you hit Elite status?

I believe so but that's a long way off for me. My highest rank is Dangerous in combat but it's my understanding that Deadly requires like twice as many kills as Dangerous and Elite is twice as many kills as Deadly. I don't see myself doing much trading anymore and I'm only at Trailblazer in Exploration.

DrBo42

Traded in my Python for a Type 9... I've made a huge mistake. Thing controls like the Titanic. Massive heat issues even trying to jump, junk shields. Ugh.

Shifty76

Hit the jackpot again. I was curious exactly how much an hour I was pulling in bounty hunting so I timed an hour and stopped as soon as it was done.

This was the result (doesn't show ~200k worth of redeemable fed/alliance bounties I also earned) Would have earned more but my PA ran outta ammo which slowed things down a bit.

Current FDL setup

1uI9CzG.jpg

DrBo42

Hit the jackpot again. I was curious exactly how much an hour I was pulling in bounty hunting so I timed an hour and stopped as soon as it was done.

This was the result (doesn't show ~200k worth of redeemable fed/alliance bounties I also earned) Would have earned more but my PA ran outta ammo which slowed things down a bit.

Current FDL setup

Gat damn. That Apam Napat farm?

Shifty76

Gat damn. That Apam Napat farm?

Nope, Facece.

I pissed off the locals too much at Apam Napat and they kept sending pirate wings to kill me so I figured it was time to find a new hunting ground. The empire community goal requires turning in bounties at Simpson Depot in Facece, so I've been making my presence known in the RES sites on Facece 6 & 7.

Danj

Traded in my Python for a Type 9... I've made a huge mistake. Thing controls like the Titanic. Massive heat issues even trying to jump, junk shields. Ugh.

If you upgrade it it's fine, but yeah with the stock parts it has big heat problems. If you're doing rare trading you'll want to upgrade anyway to up the range.

Nymerio

Do systems have an inherent difficulty assigned to them? Made my way from fed space to imperial space and found a system with a RES but the quality of ships that turned up was way better than the previous res I was farming.

DrBo42

Do systems have an inherent difficulty assigned to them? Made my way from fed space to imperial space and found a system with a RES but the quality of ships that turned up was way better than the previous res I was farming.

They won't have an inherent difficulty per se but wealth and population make a difference in traffic/ship types.

Nymerio

They won't have an inherent difficulty per se but wealth and population make a difference in traffic/ship types.

ooooh, good to know. I think the population of my new system is a lot higher than the old one, so that's the reason there were a lot of large ships. There also wasn't any downtime where no ships at all were around.

I also found out yesterday that I already have a sol permit and I don't even know when I got that. Doesn't matter though, I'm starting to grind Empire rep now.

goonergaz

So what's the general consensus on using a 360 controller? What's the best 'setup' for pitch/yaw/roll etc? Is it worth the extra effort involved getting a DS4 connected up or should I just stick to the 360 controller?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pomerlaw

So what's the general consensus on using a 360 controller? What's the best 'setup' for pick/yaw/roll etc? Is it worth the extra effort involved getting a DS4 connected up or should I just stick to the 360 controller?

I use one and it is fine!

IMO, you need to use yaw. I use it all the time even if it is pretty slow... You can search the Frontier forums for some good setups.

goonergaz

Yeah, I found a youtube tutorial but having set it all up it felt 'wrong' - doing a bit of digging it seems I should switch the L & R stick setups so it better represents an FPS - so I'll try that...I was just after a few more tips/setup suggestions.

The stuttering I get while approaching new planets seems to be worse than ever lately. Maybe it's because I'm doing Bulletin Board missions which is sending me to all kinds of new planets but at times I expect the game to just crash with the massive hitching. This is still my biggest complaint with the game. It performs so well in every other scenario but approaching a new planet in supercruise is brutal.

The stuttering I get while approaching new planets seems to be worse than ever lately. Maybe it's because I'm doing Bulletin Board missions which is sending me to all kinds of new planets but at times I expect the game to just crash with the massive hitching. This is still my biggest complaint with the game. It performs so well in every other scenario but approaching a new planet in supercruise is brutal.

I don't know if it was my new Nvidia driver or the latest patch, but stuttering was RARELY an issue for me before--now, it's common. Even the main menu/splash screen stutters!

Wreav

Banned
That's weird. I haven't seen the stuttering since early in the private beta days. Always keep my nVidia drivers up to date as well.

So what's the general consensus on using a 360 controller? What's the best 'setup' for pitch/yaw/roll etc? Is it worth the extra effort involved getting a DS4 connected up or should I just stick to the 360 controller?

I used a 360 Controller for a few months and it actually felt great; google the "Crab" setup that some guy made. It's awesome.

I just switched over to a HOTAS and hooo-boy is there a learning curve. It's way more immersive, but I feel like I was actually more accurate with the 360 controller for fine-tuned controls.

kvk1

You know, I've heard several people say that there is a distinct advantage for the KB/M and gamepad people in certain things requiring fast and fine movements, like interdictions and such.

That's weird. I haven't seen the stuttering since early in the private beta days. Always keep my nVidia drivers up to date as well.

Yeah, I'm afraid that my situation is particularly bad even though I have a very capable machine and my internet connection is quite good. I even have the game installed on an SSD. I've finally made a support ticket though I don't have much hope.

You know, I've heard several people say that there is a distinct advantage for the KB/M and gamepad people in certain things requiring fast and fine movements, like interdictions and such.

Without a doubt, evading interdiction was easier during the short time I was playing with keyboard and mouse. It was as if the turning rate was much faster. With my stick, I simply cannot evade interdiction. It just feels like the turning rate of my ship can't keep up. I pull as hard as I can but the escape vector just goes right off screen. I'm sure I just suck at it because I've seen people streaming, using a stick and evading it with no problem. I just can't make sense of it to be honest. With keyboard an mouse it felt like the ship behaved completely differently, at least in supercruise.

goonergaz

I used a 360 Controller for a few months and it actually felt great; google the "Crab" setup that some guy made. It's awesome.

I just switched over to a HOTAS and hooo-boy is there a learning curve. It's way more immersive, but I feel like I was actually more accurate with the 360 controller for fine-tuned controls.

cheers, I'll read up - here's the link for anyone else interested;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140&page=13&p=1185166&viewfull=1#post1185166

Shifty76

It finally dawned on me why Facece is such a fantastic bounty hunting spot.

Obviously #1 reason is the continual anaconda/python/dropship/clipper spawns, but the second reason is that there is no pirate faction present that gets upset when you slaughter hundreds of their ships.

The wanted guys are a mix of the various factions in the system, so at worst I get to "unfriendly" rank, but then when I'm done for the session and turn in my bounty rewards I'm turning in bounties for those same factions. This of course restores my relationship with them to friendly/allied and the cycle resets.

Made another 4m or so in just over an hour tonight before returning to rearm my PA.

3.3 million in bounties, I have some catching up to do. Using my Vulture, leaving the FDL in hanger for now. I need to build my bank back up before I risk losing 5 million for a rebuy.

Shifty76

77m in bounties/combat bonds combined and I'm still ranked Dangerous. Wonder how much more is needed to hit Deadly :/

e: Quick google-fu tells me I need to hit up combat zones to kill elite ranked pilots in order to move my ranking quicker. So be it. Will track one down once this current bounty hunting goal is complete (25m has me sitting top 5% right now)

77m in bounties/combat bonds combined and I'm still ranked Dangerous. Wonder how much more is needed to hit Deadly :/

e: Quick google-fu tells me I need to hit up combat zones to kill elite ranked pilots in order to move my ranking quicker. So be it. Will track one down once this current bounty hunting goal is complete (25m has me sitting top 5% right now)

I have 71 mil in bounties/combat bounds and 3800 kills and I'm Dangerous as well. It's my understanding that it takes double the kills to reach Deadly as it does to get to Dangerous and then double again to reach Elite.

Nymerio

Bought a Vulture yesterday. Wow, what a ship! I'm still running a pretty basic kit with gimbaled pulse lasers and a couple of upgraded parts (power plant, distributor, shields and some minor stuff) but it shits all over my previous viper. I'm now saving up for a plasma accelerator and beam laser. Though I really like going into combat without having to worry about ammunition.

Wreav

Banned

Where is the current bounty goal taking place?

Shifty76

Bought a Vulture yesterday. Wow, what a ship! I'm still running a pretty basic kit with gimbaled pulse lasers and a couple of upgraded parts (power plant, distributor, shields and some minor stuff) but it shits all over my previous viper. I'm now saving up for a plasma accelerator and beam laser. Though I really like going into combat without having to worry about ammunition.
Keep the pulse lasers or run 1 x beam 1 x pulse imo.

Pomerlaw

It finally dawned on me why Facece is such a fantastic bounty hunting spot.

Obviously #1 reason is the continual anaconda/python/dropship/clipper spawns, but the second reason is that there is no pirate faction present that gets upset when you slaughter hundreds of their ships.

The wanted guys are a mix of the various factions in the system, so at worst I get to "unfriendly" rank, but then when I'm done for the session and turn in my bounty rewards I'm turning in bounties for those same factions. This of course restores my relationship with them to friendly/allied and the cycle resets.

Made another 4m or so in just over an hour tonight before returning to rearm my PA.

How far is it from Sol? You are tempting me to join the fun.

Aaaah forget it, just saw that I need a permit.

Shifty76

Is there a particular reason to mix pulse and beam?

Balancing dmg and power draw/heat. Dual beam is high dmg but high power draw and heat. One of each still gives good dmg (beam for shields, pulse for hull) and frees up power for other components.

Seconded. I'm rocking C3G Pulse and Burst lasers on my Vulture.

Once I dive back into PvP, I'm tempted to use fixed versions, as I see most PvPers using those--but I'll be damned if the Vulture doesn't seem like THE ship to used gimballed weapons with. Those high mounted hardpoints make target tracking/locking that much easier.

I'm finally getting back into this after dropping it for a couple months. I'm very glad they've upped the bounties you can find. I was able to make a million credits just cruising around Jupiter's rings. Much, much more viable than it was before.

One thing, I'm flying a Viper currently and I love it. What's the next logical step for a combat fighter? I love the maneuverability of the Viper and would love something similar to upgrade to next.

I'm finally getting back into this after dropping it for a couple months. I'm very glad they've upped the bounties you can find. I was able to make a million credits just cruising around Jupiter's rings. Much, much more viable than it was before.

One thing, I'm flying a Viper currently and I love it. What's the next logical step for a combat fighter? I love the maneuverability of the Viper and would love something similar to upgrade to next.

Based on what you're looking for, the Vulture. Just as maneuverable as the Viper, if not more so (though it's slower, overall), the damage upgrade w/large hardpoints is HUGE, and shields that match the Python's. However, it has the same power management issues as the Viper and 2 hardpoints limits your creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom