• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JambiBum

Anyone know of a way to tell what system/station a corportaion belongs to? I collected a bounty for blue public corp but don't know where to take it.

Yeah, know about the star classification, but that guide... I just don't know how to read it, lol. What am I looking at?

Either way, I was able to reach Earth but I will definitely want to go and find more planets later on. Neither the Sidewinder nor the Eagle have space for both the scanner and the fuel scoop. Wonder what's the cheapest ship that lets you have both.

Edit: I see you changed the pic. I assume the hypergiants, supergiants and maybe some more can be scooped, but what's the actual bottom limit for scoop-able stars?

I'm investigating that now, I'll attempt to create a guide after a bit.

OK I am sorry to sound like a total noob here, but can someone please answer this for me.

What kind of space combat fan will this appeal to? I am a HUGE fan of the old space combat shooters like X-Wing, Wing Commander, Freespace, etc.

I've been DESPERATELY looking for a new space combat game to satisfy my voracious appetite for a new game in the genre. However, I have has numerous people on here tell me this isn't really much like those games. Its clearly more MP focused than SP focused.

I can clearly see this isn't some narrative campaign driven product. However, does that mean it has no appeal? Is anyone who is a fan of those games playing this and enjoying it?

Even if it did appeal to me, I may be screwed anyway, as the system requirements would make my system balk.

"I've been DESPERATELY looking for a new space combat game to satisfy my voracious appetite for a new game in the genre. However, I have has numerous people on here tell me this isn't really much like those games. Its clearly more MP focused than SP focused.

I can clearly see this isn't some narrative campaign driven product. However, does that mean it has no appeal? Is anyone who is a fan of those games playing this and enjoying it?"

I wouldn't say it's MP focused. It's really not, at all. The size of the game means that you're not actually encountering players that often. However, it is not a story or campaign driven game. It is a sandbox game. Elite is/was one of the "original" sandbox games. It basically drops you in the middle of nowhere with a ship and some money and says "Go!"

I mean, you can play a very combat oriented game just running around and being a bounty hunter, working for one of the factions in conflict zones, or maybe interdicting NPCs/players (pirating). So if you just want combat, you can do that. But the structure of the game isn't similar to the North American space sims.

wsippel

Banned
Hey I'm in Eravati too I think it at least I was there yesterday. I'm not 100 LYs from every GAFer! ^^ (Cmdr Tunesmith). Thinking of heading to Ho Shi though, that sounds like a fun idea working for Jet Comms and making a civil war.
I started in LHS 3447, right next to Eravate. Still there trading meat to eventually afford better weapons and head out.

Hellers

I started in LHS 3447 too.

You know what annoys me? Having to fly to one of those very small stations (With only two docking bays) on a mission to have to sit there ages because there's a load of NPCs and players all wanting to dock. They should implement a docking clearance queue so you don't have to sit there spamming the request docking command.

I started in LHS 3447 too.

You know what annoys me? Having to fly to one of those very small stations (With only two docking bays) on a mission to have to sit there ages because there's a load of NPCs and players all wanting to dock. They should implement a docking clearance queue so you don't have to sit there spamming the request docking command.

That's why I picked up my eagle, grabbed a fuel scoop and headed to empire space so I can get rep and eventually get the clipper. Nobody's out here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scanning is kind of pain, having to train your ship's reticle overmoving targets in cruising mode seems... kind of convoluted? Is there any easier way to scan a system than manually moving around it to look at things like a certain North Korean dictator?

Also why is it stealing if I loot stuff free floating on space? Why is it illegal being a trash collector?

JambiBum

Scanning is kind of pain, having to train your ship's reticle overmoving targets in cruising mode seems... kind of convoluted? Is there any easier way to scan a system than manually moving around it to look at things like a certain North Korean dictator?

Also why is it stealing if I loot stuff free floating on space? Why is it illegal being a trash collector?

There should be a key that lets you switch to the next target ahead so that you don't have to try to line them up like that. And it might not have been free at one point, that's why it's illegal. It ended up there for some reason. Especially if it isn't a mineral.

Orgun

That's why I picked up my eagle, grabbed a fuel scoop and headed to empire space so I can get rep and eventually get the clipper. Nobody's out here.

this guy. this guy gets it.

Everyone appears to be starting around LHS 3447 and Eravate. gtfo of there asap :)

Keasar

Is there an explanation why Federal ships can start suddenly to attack one? I was out bounty hunting, shooting some wanted ships and suddenly without warning the Feds were attacking me as well, I had not hit them by accident during the fight and I was not carrying anything illegal.

DrBo42

Is there an explanation why Federal ships can start suddenly to attack one? I was out bounty hunting, shooting some wanted ships and suddenly without warning the Feds were attacking me as well, I had not hit them by accident during the fight and I was not carrying anything illegal.

It's a bug that's existed since Beta. Not sure how it happens. If you leave that instance and go back in it should rectify.

Dougald

I've been slowly heading towards imperial space every time I play, going over 20 light years to cash in on any exploration data, doing some missions, then moving on the next time I play.

I want to see as much of the Galaxy as I can, and visit all 3 main factions, having only really seen the Federation so far

"I've been DESPERATELY looking for a new space combat game to satisfy my voracious appetite for a new game in the genre. However, I have has numerous people on here tell me this isn't really much like those games. Its clearly more MP focused than SP focused.

I can clearly see this isn't some narrative campaign driven product. However, does that mean it has no appeal? Is anyone who is a fan of those games playing this and enjoying it?"

I wouldn't say it's MP focused. It's really not, at all. The size of the game means that you're not actually encountering players that often. However, it is not a story or campaign driven game. It is a sandbox game. Elite is/was one of the "original" sandbox games. It basically drops you in the middle of nowhere with a ship and some money and says "Go!"

I mean, you can play a very combat oriented game just running around and being a bounty hunter, working for one of the factions in conflict zones, or maybe interdicting NPCs/players (pirating). So if you just want combat, you can do that. But the structure of the game isn't similar to the North American space sims.

I am quoting you because you seem to know exactly what I want to know. Can you compare this to EVE at all? What I have been reading/hearing is that this is basically DayZ in space? I am perfectly happy with that, but I do not want to buy this and then it not be what expected. I really want to get this game, but I have been disappointed so much recently :/

JambiBum

I am quoting you because you seem to know exactly what I want to know. Can you compare this to EVE at all? What I have been reading/hearing is that this is basically DayZ in space? I am perfectly happy with that, but I do not want to buy this and then it not be what expected. I really want to get this game, but I have been disappointed so much recently :/

What have you read that makes you think that this is DayZ in space? What are you looking for in the game? Details help us give you the info you need.

2-3 weeks ago Newegg had some bundles with Warthog + Saitek Pedals for $483.

That's one very important thing to note if you don't already know... The warthog does not have twist on the stick. You NEED pedals in addition to the Warthog.
Bummer, would cost 599 not including tax for the combination now. Are there any cheaper pedals of similar quality that you can recommend? Paying for these at least partially with my 500 dollar Christmas bonus so it doesn't really matter but any savings are good.

Cesky

Neo Member
How many of you are currently playing in the "single mode" (the one with just the NPCs)?
Just curiosity.

What have you read that makes you think that this is DayZ in space? What are you looking for in the game? Details help us give you the info you need.

I am personally looking for something that is relatively similar to eve without the time leveling and a more "skill" focused combat. I love space Sims but seem to have been burned a few times. Also I read in this thread about itbeing DayZ in space.

How many of you are currently playing in the "single mode" (the one with just the NPCs)?
Just curiosity.

Ill probably do that just until i get to grips with the whole thing. Then dive into open play. Dont want to risk having the game ruined by getting griefed while still struggling to get the hang of the game.

"I am personally looking for something that is relatively similar to eve without the time leveling and a more "skill" focused combat. I love space Sims but seem to have been burned a few times. Also I read in this thread about itbeing DayZ in space."

I've not really played DayZ but I don't really see any similarity other than both being sandbox games. It's definitely more like Eve, but it doesn't have any of the corporation/alliance/multiplayer interaction that Eve does. The economic side of it is also a bit less complex since there's none of the industrial side of Eve like factories or making work orders and contracts for other players. The economy part of the game is simple buy-here-sell-there trading.

AJLma

While it's nothing like DayZ, I'd say a game like this appeals to a similar audience that a game like DayZ would. It's a relatively slow paced exploration game where you can lose a lot due to circumstances that may be beyond your control. There's definitely a survival aspect and a feeling of being alone in this huge galaxy. "Grinding" in this game is pretty much always a risk. As a bounty hunter I've accidentally shot a Fed ship, end up Wanted and had to search systems to find an outpost where I could pay my bounty while avoiding high traffic systems where other bounty hunters, both NPC and PC are present.

Trading/Mining is also risk/reward. Smuggling, pirating, etc. It's definitely a game where you make your own fun like most survival games.

Cirruss

Decide to buy it just now but I Have one quick question before I install.

Do you think this game benefits a lot from being installed on an SSD? Are there multiple load screens for each different system or is it just one load when i start the game?

mitchman

Gold Member
Don't forget that ED can be played in Solo mode just fine. Solo might be an idea in the beginning until you can afford to do pvp (and lose a ship or two).

Orgun

Just curiosity.

I always choose Open Play, unless i'm trying to meet up with people; then i choose Group Play just because it means were are definitely going to see each other.

Klyka

Banned

It's because the wanted guy you attacked belonged to the same system faction as the security service.

JambiBum

I really need to buy a kill warrant scanner since I am murdering all of these pirates in places where they don't have bounties.

Your best bet is to find a system in the Galaxy Map with a High Tech economy. If you can't immediately see them, turn on the trade routes for technology.

Ah right, cheers. Got this mission to hunt down a Lord Johnson and 28 hours to do so. Though I think I need an interdictor and probably a kill warrant scanner to do this properly.

Goddamn it this game is the tits. My biggest complaint with it has to be the lack of group play but otherwise this is absolutely one of those games you sink half a day into without noticing it.

Oh, and a Mass Effect playlist on Spotify seals the deal

Klyka

Banned
Ah right, cheers. Got this mission to hunt down a Lord Johnson and 28 hours to do so. Though I think I need an interdictor and probably a kill warrant scanner to do this properly.

Actually you don't. You will find him in Unidentified Signal Sources.
He will also be flying a fully decked out Python or Anaconda. Depending on what you are bringing, he will probably blow you straight out of the sky.

Patch Notes:

Hi everyone,

Day 2 of Elite: Dangerous being out there in the real world, and we already have a little update for you all. See the full change log below:

• Removed "Elite: Dangerous 1.0.0.0" version text
• Fix one cause of disconnections during hyperspace when server load is high
• Fix a system map crash related to data associates with specific systems
• Fix some debug strings being shown in slave-related mission descriptions
• Fix some ambiguous galaxy data in a small number of regions
• Fix two different very rare networking crashes
• Diagnostics to help track down one cause of disconnections following server island migration
• Diagnostics to help understand some graphics memory allocation failures
• Diagnostics to help track down systems with possibly inconsistent minor faction data
• Diagnostics to help understand if some bounties aren't being awarded

Hope everyone's enjoying the game - thank you so much for playing! The development team are still hard at work, and appreciate every tiny bit of feedback seen on the forums. Thanks again.

Actually you don't. You will find him in Unidentified Signal Sources.
He will also be flying a fully decked out Python or Anaconda. Depending on what you are bringing, he will probably blow you straight out of the sky.

Patch Notes:

Oh dear, probably a good idea I abandon that then.

Darklord

Banned
Since it got buried on the last page, how often do you run into other players? Is it like EVE where there are major trade hubs of players or is it just running across a person now and then?

Mik2121

Since it got buried on the last page, how often do you run into other players? Is it like EVE where there are major trade hubs of players or is it just running across a person now and then?

I will have to take a look but I don't think that many. Maybe during the first few weeks when lots of people decide to go and visit Earth, you can meet some over there, but once people start to spread around.... good luck finding anyone flying through 400 billion stars :p

DrBo42

Depends on time of day and such but places like Sol usually have a decent amount of people coming and going. Now with hotspots via the GalNet News section those will be high population areas. We won't see anything on the EVE level until social features are added.

Klyka

Banned

It depends if you are close to the starter/popular systems. It also depends on how well your connection works out. Sometimes you might be in a system with tons of people but can't actually see anyone.

I usually hang out in systems were the traffic reports show less than 100 people in 24 hours.
Go to one where it's like 3000+ and you'll always see Cmdrs fly around.

Talking about other players, yesterday I took my Bounty Hunter Eagle (before i traded it in for my Viper) and interdicted Cmdrs. I sent them a text beforehand saying "Hello Commander, please prepare for interdiction and standard bounty scan! Thank you!" Then dropped them into normal space and scanned them. Quite a few fun interactions out of that, like one guy who immediately voice called me, begging me not to kill him cause he had his cargo hold full of Gold. I just told him I am checking if he is on Santa's naughty list and then let him go when he was clean. :D

Mik2121

What this game needs now is a radio inside the ship so you can play online radios or your own playlists. I would love playing some cool 70's or 80's music like in Guardians of the Galaxy while "trucking" towards the next star to deliver some goods or something :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom