• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill probably do that just until i get to grips with the whole thing. Then dive into open play. Dont want to risk having the game ruined by getting griefed while still struggling to get the hang of the game.

I wouldn't worry about this all that much. I played "Solo" the entire beta except for a few a times and decided on a whim to only play in Open since launch. You can switch out and in fairly quickly too so if some area is giving you issue, just log out and back in as solo.

Did you look on the Map? It shows you the trade routes.

I did, but it was like reading ancient Egyptian. I turned off all but the product I had and tried to find a system that was taking it, showed up and it was cheaper to buy than it was to sell so I'd lose money.

I really don't understand some of the mechanics and will just have to spend more time with them.

Quick questions for the new page!

Trade Routes - Double rainbows, but what does it mean? (I must have read them wrong, seriously, how do you interpret any of this?)
How can you tell if a system is "Agriculture" or "Industrial"? Do you have to have gone there or buy system data first?

Some clarifications:

HUD Targets:

Square Solid = NPC
Triangle Solid = NPC with deployed Hardpoints
Square Outline = Player
Triangle Outline = Player with deployed Hardpoints

What do the different colors mean?

I think I just have to find a decent trade jump between two close systems and do some 'grinding' until I can get a bigger ship. Might just sell the Freagle and use that to fund my trading. This will probably help and I'll have to grab my laptop or something as it wasn't working well on the iPad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Finished off last night with my net value hitting 5 million credits. That Asp will be mine soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can you sell or somehow use black boxes or navigation info canisters you find floating around in space if you don't have a mission for them? Or are they useless unless you have a mission?

la_briola

Can you sell or somehow use black boxes or navigation info canisters you find floating around in space if you don't have a mission for them? Or are they useless unless you have a mission?

Yes, at a Black Market (its under contacts, if the space station has one).
They net you 3k a pop, I think.

Anyone found a good AA solution with this?

Downsampling works great.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yes, at a Black Market (its under contacts, if the space station has one).

Is there a way to tell if a station has a black market from the system map?

Do stations in Federation systems ever have them?

Also, if I'm carting around "stolen" goods I've salvaged off a pirate, will stations scanning me generate a fine?

LogicStep

So is this similar to no mans sky? It looks much more ambitious. It also looks fucking incredible. Looks like there are many different things you can do and have the freedom to do so.

Downsampling seems to be the best option since injecting things (like SMAA) might cause issues due to it's online component though I don't recall seeing anything official.

The fact they banned the use of the commodity tools that injected to the games means you might want to play it safe

Sinatar

You can sell them at a black market, but they aren't worth much.

The hell did you do to get your credits that high lol

I've been doing trading runs non stop since Gamma went live 2ish weeks ago.

The hell did you do to get your credits that high lol

Trading, I think he's been hauling alot of goods and establishing a solid trade route. I just bought a viper and I'm just taking peanuts from bounties. But I haven't played a ton. I'll really get into it later today.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So is this similar to no mans sky? It looks much more ambitious. It also looks fucking incredible. Looks like there are many different things you can do and have the freedom to do so.

This is basically the sequel to Elite we've all been waiting 20 years for, and that somehow every single developer trying the formula has failed to deliver.

It's amazing.

moggio

Banned
I wouldn't worry about this all that much. I played "Solo" the entire beta except for a few a times and decided on a whim to only play in Open since launch. You can switch out and in fairly quickly too so if some area is giving you issue, just log out and back in as solo.

I did, but it was like reading ancient Egyptian. I turned off all but the product I had and tried to find a system that was taking it, showed up and it was cheaper to buy than it was to sell so I'd lose money.

I really don't understand some of the mechanics and will just have to spend more time with them.

This might help maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WH-SVh6kjM

LogicStep

This is basically the sequel to Elite we've all been waiting 20 years for, and that somehow every single developer trying the formula has failed to deliver.

It's amazing.

Well I've never played any of these games before and this is looking mighty tempting right now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Finished off last night with my net value hitting 5 million credits. That Asp will be mine soon.

Holy Frack, I was proud of my 28K credits! How in the 'verse did you accomplish that??? O_O

I've been doing trading runs non stop since Gamma went live 2ish weeks ago.

Ah, that makes more sense, LOL!

I was thinking last night the game could use a bit better AA. I might play around with Nvidia Inspector some tonight.

Skyzard

Banned
Downsampling works great.

I'm already playing at 2560x1440 but it doesn't look that good in terms of jaggies... it does affect perception a bit too, could do with a lot less tbh.

I tried 4K (which was mostly a lot better, and looked incredible) but it dropped to 30fps from 60... not great for head tracking. I guess I could try tampering the settings but that sounds loooooonngg.

I wish games would let you downsample like DA:I.

DSR only lets you downsample above your native resolution, doesn't help for 4K screens. Custom resolutions below don't stretch to the full screen.

Downsampling seems to be the best option since injecting things (like SMAA) might cause issues due to it's online component though I don't recall seeing anything official.

The fact they banned the use of the commodity tools that injected to the games means you might want to play it safe

Ah wow, okay thanks for the headsup...I use sweetfx quite a bit even with online games, forgot I could be banned!

I was thinking last night the game could use a bit better AA. I might play around with Nvidia Inspector some tonight.

Think I'll do the same though I'm not great with the AA, so many different options with transparency and multisampling and super sampling, I'm pretty lost. Let us know if you have any luck please.

la_briola

I'm already playing at 2560x1440 but it doesn't look that good... it does affect perception a bit too, could do with a lot less tbh.

I tried 4K but it dropped to 30fps from 60...

[...]

I'm currently playing at native res, but with 120fps.
It just feels so fluid, which is more important to me...

I only enable downsampling when playing with the Rift, hitting 75fps is a lot easier.

Sinatar

What have you been trading? I haven't been able to find a decent run yet.

Trading Progenitor Cells from a high tech to a Agriculteral station, then fish from the agri station to a industrial station, then superconductors from the ind station back to the high tech.

Round trip takes about 15 mins, and I pull in 150k profit per run in my Type 6.

Starviper

Throttle all the way up? Starts off slow but you should get inertia build up pretty quick in cruise mode. Slight changes in your thrust change the speed massively. Are you doing it manually or going to the panel and targeting the station to supercruise from there?

I realized what I did wrong, lol. I went to another star system and then supercruised to Dalton Gateway from there.

fanboi

Banned
My tactics is:

1) Fly around in a system without planets and/or without stations and platforms
2) Wait for USS to appear
3) Jump into USS, if cargo, scope it up, if NPC:s RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
4) Rinse repeat
5) Return to a system with outpost and with a black market

Each run nets around 20-30 k... I have even made a list of black market goods and their value.

la_briola

Trading Progenitor Cells from a high tech to a Agriculteral station, then fish from the agri station to a industrial station, then superconductors from the ind station back to the high tech.

Round trip takes about 15 mins, and I pull in 150k profit per run in my Type 6.

I guess he wanted to know how you got your Type 6 to begin with. ;-)

Mengy

It just feels so fluid, which is more important to me... .

Yeah, I have the game maxed to ultra settings at 1080p and it ran really fast and fluid for me too. TrackIR is fucking awesome in this game, and I'm sure the rift is even better (I ain't buying one until they officially release though!). I only had one moment of stutters once last night around a planet, but the game disconnected me soon afterwards so I have to wonder if it wasn't server issues anyway. Had two disconnects last night: one during the docking tutorial of all things, and the other around that planet. Both times it was quick to get back in though, so all in all it was an extremely smooth release day from the looks of it! Much, MUCH better than I expected.

Wreav

Banned
It's awesome seeing so many positive reactions to the game. It's been a hard one to evangelize because until you get in that cockpit with a joystick in your hand, you can't really appreciate it.

la_briola

Ok. I'm just a dirty slave trader, but it pays sooooo good. Need a bigger ship though! Hauler with a nice FSD and ~300k CR at the moment.

Mengy

Sold my freagle for a hauler and did trades until I could afford a cobra, then traded in that until I got my Type 6.

Yeah I've not even flown my Freagle yet. I visited the station it's docked at but got caught up doing trade runs in the Sidewinder and never even took the Freagle out for a test spin! I may just sell it to in order to get my Hauler sooner. Trading in the Sidewinder is so limiting.

I would like to own one of every ship someday, but it will be much easier to buy a new Eagle down the road after I have my Asp or Lakon 7...

Wreav

Banned
I wish the Freagle had some cool unique characteristic to it that would prevent me from wanting to just trade it in for cash. Right now the 40k seed money is way more valuable to me than a stock generic Eagle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHAIY72/

Worth getting this for the game or better in price range?

Do it, I have it and love it. ProTip: Do not assign "Jettison Cargo" close to your "Landing Gear".

Cool, will watch at work and get fired which will give me more time to play.

It's awesome seeing so many positive reactions to the game. It's been a hard one to evangelize because until you get in that cockpit with a joystick in your hand, you can't really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's tough selling the game. Like the one user here who was looking for a cinematic experience. It's just not that. There's no hand-holding (even though some on the official forum say there is ... wtf?), there's no direct "you should do this now" type of direction. It's just what you want to do.

I may get frustrated at having 4-5 hours of 'work' all jettison'd by my idiotic fat fingers ... but I'm having a lot of fun in the game, I keep going back for more. The main problem I have is they don't explain many of the mechanics in a straightforward way. Or maybe I'm just missing it. Like, where is actually "written" about the Galaxy Map trade routes or icons on your radar? Did I just skip over shit to get to the action?

Dougald

I wish the Freagle had some cool unique characteristic to it that would prevent me from wanting to just trade it in for cash. Right now the 40k seed money is way more valuable to me than a stock generic Eagle.

Yep, in my Gamma "mess around" and my current save, I ended up just immediately selling it for the 40 grand both times. Especially as I have the "imperial bounty hunter" kickstarter tier that lets me start in an Eagle if I actually wanted to anyway

Skyzard

Banned
It just feels so fluid, which is more important to me...

I only enable downsampling when playing with the Rift, hitting 75fps is a lot easier.

Ah that would be nice to try!

The jaggies aren't too bad as is but could be a little better.

Corgi

Banned
woah. the advance controller controls should be default. So much finer controls... and i think you can do everything without a keyboard.

Kind of weird for a game in 2014 not to have 360 button icons in the game though.

Surprised the game doesn't have native windowed fullscreen mode. Wonder if I can force it with that app.

ObsidianAnt posted a nice little gameplay guide.

I didn't get to play at all last night :( Had to work. Bummed.

Holy shit when that capital ship comes into view. Amazing.

That was absolutely Incredible. Imagine playing that in the rift Oh my god.

Yeah, in case anyone missed it: we need to discuss how fucking amazing this space battle looks.

I realize most of the game isn't like this, but I'm really happy "big" moments happen. Some other CMDRs show up in the vid, too.

Ah wow, okay thanks for the headsup...I use sweetfx quite a bit even with online games, forgot I could be banned!
From what I've seen they haven't said anything official about SweetFX but I'd rather ere on the side of caution until they do since they banned those other tools that injected stuff in to the game to read commodity prices, etc...

Might ask on the forums about it, hope to at least get official confirmation either way
Better yet, don't assign jettison cargo at all!

I agree, using the cargo screen to jettison seems to be the best way, though not the fastest.

My tactics is:

1) Fly around in a system without planets and/or without stations and platforms
2) Wait for USS to appear
3) Jump into USS, if cargo, scope it up, if NPC:s RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
4) Rinse repeat
5) Return to a system with outpost and with a black market

Each run nets around 20-30 k... I have even made a list of black market goods and their value.

Currently needing to do the same, but for traders, who need shooting. I feel it's a bit annoying to find USS when you're wandering aimlessly, rather than when going to a specific place. Especially since the systems I've to find them in are godforsaken empty space.

JambiBum

Does anyone know how to get the hatch breaker/heat sink ammo count off of your screen after you assign it to a fire group? It's not like weapons groups that go away after they have been undeployed.

Bah, I keep fucking things up when I get an alternative offer on a mission. Accidentally abandoned the whole thing. What's the proper way of going about this? I had a mission to kill 2 traders, but was then offered the alternative of killing 5 pirates instead.

Klyka

Banned
Does anyone know how to get the hatch breaker/heat sink ammo count off of your screen after you assign it to a fire group? It's not like weapons groups that go away after they have been undeployed.

Switch to a firegroup that it's not in. That should work.

So,who is going to try and help me in Ho Hsi? I think managing to start a civil war would be awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom