• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Day 2 of Elite: Dangerous being out there in the real world, and we already have a little update for you all. See the full change log below:

• Removed "Elite: Dangerous 1.0.0.0" version text
1265.gif

• Fix one cause of infrequent disconnections during hyperspace when server load is high
• Fix an infrequent system map crash related to data associated with specific systems
• Fix some debug strings being shown in slave-related mission descriptions
• Fix some ambiguous galaxy data in a small number of regions
• Fix two different very rare networking crashes
• Diagnostics to help track down one cause of disconnections following server island migration
• Diagnostics to help understand some graphics memory allocation failures
• Diagnostics to help track down systems with possibly inconsistent minor faction data
• Diagnostics to help understand if some bounties aren't being awarded

Hope everyone's enjoying the game - thank you so much for playing! The development team are still hard at work, and appreciate every tiny bit of feedback seen on the forums. Thanks again.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That's why I picked up my eagle, grabbed a fuel scoop and headed to empire space so I can get rep and eventually get the clipper. Nobody's out here.

We could try coordinate some GAF goal, in some system and try to pile ourselves in the same general area.

Klyka

Banned
We could try coordinate some GAF goal, in some system and try to pile ourselves in the same general area.

Let me just repost my plea from earlier:

Hello fellow Commanders!
I write to you on behalf of the Jet Comms Limited Corporation based in the wonderful Ho Hsi System. Yes that's right, THE Jet Comms Limited, your favorite corporation of 3300 as voted in the Federation's top Corporate Magazine "Commu & Nist"!
If I could take a minute out of your busy time? Yes? Why thank you! You see I have a wonderful opportunity for ALL of you! Yes, even you! And you over there little one, don't worry!
Jet Comms Limited is currently engaged in fierce competition for mining rights and the high tech sector in the bountiful system of Ho Hsi against the old and stale Ho Hsi Corp. What a boring name, right?
Anyway, this is where YOU come in Commanders! You see, we have managed to procure 47% of Influence in the system compared to the 47.9% of Ho Hsi Corp.! Our PR people have been busy busy busy! Now we need YOU to push us over the magical 50% hurdle and allow us to...shall we say....engage into a (not so friendly) takeover of the system! All in the name of the Federation (and your friends at Jet Comms Limited) of course!
So fly on over to the Ho Hsi system and help Jet Comms limited any way you can! Missions, trading (fighting? sure!) will help us bring this system where it should be: The hands of the Federation and the embrace of Jet Comms Limited!
Safe Flight, Commanders!

Mik2121

I am personally looking for something that is relatively similar to eve without the time leveling and a more "skill" focused combat. I love space Sims but seem to have been burned a few times. Also I read in this thread about itbeing DayZ in space.
I'm up for some meeting near some station maybe in SOL, so we can take a photo of as many gaffers as we can.

I need to add you guys :) my Commander name is Mik2121

Edit: Or we can meet at Ho Hsi (where the hell is that...)

That actually sounds neat. I'll see if I can get it during some sort of discount, $70 is a bit out of my price range at the moment. Thanks for explaining things appreciate it. I just hope there will be enough to keep me continually interested in the game.

Kind of sucks everyone is saying it's not for me, it makes me reconsider getting into this or not... again. :/

Regarding your bolded. Not really. I mean you were using planned stock decreases due to tax issues as an "excuse" and explaining a game that is so completely opposite (storyline, cutscenes,etc...) That I still don't think it's for you.

That story above is great but the game really is just "text" regarding any storyline honestly. You'll see other ships of course. And the expansions are pretty far out.

The combat training will be a demo soon enough I assume, so I would wait.

la_briola

This game is something truly special with the Oculus Rift Dk2, I really feel like I'm in my spaceship cruising the stars... it's magical.

But I can't read shit with that resolution. I have to bend forward like I need glasses. Can't wait for the consumer version.

You should change the GUI color. The Rifts screen works best with Green.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2p3784/you_can_manually_customize_the_gui_colors/

CMDR Sofia v. Boergersatt here. Ready to be added to your contacts. Does this thread have one of these player spreadsheets for friendslists?

Sadly, I have to return and exchange my new laptop, hence I have to wait with my second play until christmas :(

However, I lost at least three times the server connection within in 2 hours. Does this happens regulary?

There is a link to a Google doc in the third post of this thread.

Mik2121

the Cmdr name is Klyka
Cool, I'll add you as soon as I can jump back to the game. Right now I can't access the matchmaking servers apparently.

Check the third post in the OT it has a link to a google doc where you can put your information and get others info.
Ah gotcha. Do we also have some GAF Group or something so we can all play together? Dunno how the group stuff works...

la_briola

Regarding slaves: places that sell slaves often have slave buy missions.

Step 1: Take a "bring us 2 slaves" mission.
Step 2: Buy slaves at their market.
Step 3: Turn the mission in.
Step 4: ?
Step 5: Profit! (Free 20k CR)

Is this intentionally? I don't mind to be honest. :p

Mik2121

Closest place near SOL that has slaves...?

Klyka

Banned

I think the whole slave commodity is still a little rough around the edges cause it's only been implemented like 1-2 weeks ago

ys45

So after spending 2 hour yesterday tweaking controls and practicing my piloting (which suck btw lol)
I did managed to do 2 combat missions (not counting the one with barrels) and I got destroyed the 1vs1 mission .

I completed the launch/dock and travel tutorial I felt like going back to driving school except with a space ship :p
I had a blast, I am probably going to start playing for real tonight .

I'm having a hard time in combat though I guess it's normal for beginner , I'm gonna try to find some good tutorial on combat and practice a lot.

like one guy who immediately voice called me, begging me not to kill him cause he had his cargo hold full of Gold. I just told him I am checking if he is on Santa's naughty list and then let him go when he was clean. :D

He told you his hold was full of Gold XD

JambiBum

I work third shift from home and this game has been great to play during that time but I normally go to bed around 10am and I stay up way longer than I mean to because I lose track of time :(

Are some of these assassination missions that are worth like 150k simply not worth it when you are rather new to the game? And if you die do you lose upgrades on ship and stuff?

mitchman

Gold Member
Oh dear, probably a good idea I abandon that then.

Use a pimped out Cobra at the minimum, and 2-3 fitted shield cell bank modules to keep your shields up and it shouldn't be that hard to do those.

Are some of these assassination missions that are worth like 150k simply not worth it when you are rather new to the game? And if you die do you lose upgrades on ship and stuff?

Depends on what you're flying, see my reply above. The insurance will cover the ship and all modules if you die, provided you got the credits to cover the insurance payment when you die.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm actually thinking of buying a joystick, in 2014. Dissuade me plz.

It's a game changer in this, feels so good. Also there's Star Citizen and Enemy Starfighter on the horizon, so it's not like you'll have nothing else to use it with.

Oh... dissuade. oops.

trillbo

Did my first smuggling run last night. Picked up some of that space weed onionhead from Harvestport and brought it to Dahan gateway. Made around 130k.

I lined myself up in supercruise to face the entrance of the port when i dropped out. Then I floated at max speed with FA off towards the port, Using my 3 heatsinks to keep temps low. Security ship started scanning me but I got through the entrance forcefield just in time. My heart was racing!

Not sure what exactly would have happened if they had caught me, since I could sell the onionhead on the regular commodities page as opposed to having to use the Black Market. Has anyone been caught by feds with onionhead?

I haven't attempted one my self yet, but I've heard they are quite tough. It's more than just a single target from what I know so gp in prepared to be fighting multiple targets simultaneously.

JambiBum

Unless I'm missing it somewhere, it doesn't seem like the kill warrant scanner tells you if there is a bounty on a person until after you kill them.

fanboi

Banned
Did my first smuggling run last night. Picked up some of that space weed onionhead from Harvestport and brought it to Dahan gateway. Made around 130k.

I lined myself up in supercruise to face the entrance of the port when i dropped out. Then I floated at max speed with FA off towards the port, Using my 3 heatsinks to keep temps low. Security ship started scanning me but I got through the entrance forcefield just in time. My heart was racing!

Not sure what exactly would have happened if they had caught me, since I could sell the onionhead on the regular commodities page as opposed to having to use the Black Market. Has anyone been caught by feds with onionhead?

You get a HUGE fine...

Man, I think I need to have actual spreadsheets and research materials next to me when playing.

I cannot find a worthwhile trade route to start making some quick credits.

Oh, and don't map "Jettison Cargo" next to your "Landing Gear" ... why I ever did that, I'll never know.

1) Spend 80% of my funds on 'expensive' cargo I can take to an Agriculture place to sell
2) Have no idea where or how to find an "Agriculture place" to sell
3) Leave hanger and flip the "Landing Gear" switch
3a) Weird, not working, hit a couple more times
4) Look at text and see "Cargo Jettisoned" 4 times
5) Look at text and see I'm fined for "littering" 4 times
6) I have 154 credits

moggio

Banned
Man, I think I need to have actual spreadsheets and research materials next to me when playing.

I cannot find a worthwhile trade route to start making some quick credits.

Oh, and don't map "Jettison Cargo" next to your "Landing Gear" ... why I ever did that, I'll never know.

1) Spend 80% of my funds on 'expensive' cargo I can take to an Agriculture place to sell
2) Have no idea where or how to find an "Agriculture place" to sell
3) Leave hanger and flip the "Landing Gear" switch
3a) Weird, not working, hit a couple more times
4) Look at text and see "Cargo Jettisoned" 4 times
5) Look at text and see I'm fined for "littering" 4 times
6) I have 154 credits

Did you look on the Map? It shows you the trade routes.

Listonosh

Not sure if anyone has tried out the Elite Dangerous Voice control pack with Voice Attack, but holy crap, is it amazing. Some of the commands are pretty minor, like setting your speed, but it's pretty awesome to be able to talk to your ship and have it respond. Now I just need that Oculus Rift...

Skyzard

Banned
^ looking forward to setting that up soon.

Fuck it, is amazon the cheapest place to get a thrustmaster warthog? This, Star Citizen, and il-2 are too much.

Do it.

Just a warning though. For Star Citizen, you'll need pedals.

In this, yaw is slow, you can do that with a binding. For SC you really ought to use pedals.

The thrustmaster warthog doesn't twist. But it is damn good!

I got the saitek combat pedals. I just use the toe-breaks to control yaw so I don't have to move my feet all over - I set the thing to max resistance so it stays firm. ... It needs a third party program to set that up though (UJR - combine toebreaks into a single axis - for star citizen). You don't need it for ED but it's better as it's analogue this way - don't think it would be otherwise. [Edit- Actually it's still digital here lol, need to check options for that]

been just doing the tutorials and watching the youtube videos (seriously they can't embed this stuff in game?).

Game seems pretty standard for the most part... Until you do the landing and traveling tutorial.

Thats when things click that this is something special o_O

That hyperdrive effect is fantastic.

Any tips on popping out of supercruise? Can't seem to get this down right.

Go full speed until the timer goes to 7/8 seconds remaining, then drop your throttle down to the blue region. Play with the throttle to keep it around 7 seconds and that will get you there with the best speed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So wow, fun and interesting first night for me in Elite.

Started out in the system LHS 3447, Trevithick Dock. Stayed up until 1:30 AM trading and exploring, doing a few missions, and learning. Made a few bad trades that I lost credits on, but also made a bunch of good trades and ended up the night with 28,000 credits to my name. The two pirates who interdicted me helped out too, got a few thousand credits in bounties for them. I'm finding that evading interdictions in a stock sidewinder isn't always easy, I'm guessing that better ships with upgrades makes evading easier. Also this 4 ton cargo hold is so damn limiting, lol.

Went out exploring new systems after a bit and almost ended up running out of fuel. I just barely made it back to a system with a station on my last jump, came THIS close to stranding myself in deep space! Cleve Hub was such a welcome sight, man the tension was so very palpable.

This game can be damn beautiful at times. It's like Space Engine with an actual game included. I'm finding exploration more fun than I anticipated, I just may end up going down the pure explorer road with occasional trading now and then. I particularly loved this scenic vista from Oleskiw Station, I honestly just sat and stared for a bit thinking about how awesome it's going to be when we get planetary landings in the game!

Saw this poor Commander get his Sidewinder destroyed by a station in the Erativa system. I guess he forgot to get docking clearance or something!

So after just one night, I'm hooked big time. It's Elite allright, as familiar as the game was on my C64 over 25 years ago. Once we actually get planet landings it will be a more fun and modern version of Frontier (Elite II). I really need to get out of this Sidewinder though, my ship is still bone stock and I've been debating on whether or not to upgrade the Sidewinder or just squirrel credits away for a Hauler. I need cargo space and more utility slots to mount fuel scoops and scanners. Too much fun though, my weekend is going to be spent flying Elite for certain.

la_briola

Regarding yaw: my CH Products Stick has no twist for yawing.
Two workarounds: mapping yaw left/right on one of the hats and/or setting "yaw on initial roll" in the settings.
Maybe this helps others with similar sticks.

This works pretty good, but I might consider buying the pedals in the future.

FSD Jumping out into a white star.

7qklaJP.gif

I love the online with this. The galaxy is so big that if you don't want to see people, chances are you won't. IT's so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom