• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

I'm in Sol currently. Sorry for missing the action but didn't expect that kind of timing and location so I called it a night. I can try to make it to a wing sometime though.

Okay, I'm thinking Apam Napat is the place you'd mentioned before. Maybe I was thinking of another one that was in a permit. I'll stay in Sol for now unless I need to head to a midway point or a meeting place sometime.

Still on if you are. what's your in game name?

No cheap python in Facece makes me sad. 8% ship discount and nothing there worth buying :/

My Thrustmaster arrived. Anyone have some tips? It's definitely something to get used to coming from a 360 controller.

With the latest update, I have no idea how I'm supposed to pay off my bounties since as soon as security scans me, docking will be locked off.

Still not convinced on the need for a joystick myself.

With the bounties do you not just pop into the system next door and pay it off in the system where you are not wanted? That's what I had to do the other night when a police ship got between my and the target.

GeoGonzo

I still wonder why these stations in the future have just one tiny mail slot entrance.
From a gameplay perspective it is engaging and going through them helps showcase how large they are once inside. From a lore perspective stations are actually filled with air and you need huge forcefields to provent the air from flying out of the station (the ones you fly through when going in). Probably building these forcefields even larger is deemed prohibitively expensive.

Nymerio

With the bounties do you not just pop into the system next door and pay it off in the system where you are not wanted? That's what I had to do the other night when a police ship got between my and the target.

I don't think you need a stick per se as the game is perfectly playable with a controller or kb/m but I find it far more enjoyable with a hotas.

From a gameplay perspective it is engaging and going through them helps showcase how large they are once inside. From a lore perspective stations are actually filled with air and you need huge forcefields to provent the air from flying out of the station (the ones you fly through when going in). Probably building these forcefields even larger is deemed prohibitively expensive.

You also have to consider the real estate you'd lose if you either make more entrances or make the existing entrance bigger. It somehow always made sense to me how the stations where setup.

Jedi2016

... From a lore perspective stations are actually filled with air and you need huge forcefields to provent the air from flying out of the station (the ones you fly through when going in).
That works in gameplay, too. If you have a busted canopy, your life support turns off the moment you pass the forcefields, because your cockpit fills with air from the station. Nice little touch.

Wreav

Banned
If you fuck this up at all you could be scrap metal on the side of the station.

Safest way to do it is pop silent running from a few KM out. Unless you were already at 80% heat, you should be fine. You can usually turn it off when you are over the pad and shouldn't get scanned, and complete your landing safely.

Plus your boost method may not work for larger, slower ships.

I still wonder why these stations in the future have just one tiny mail slot entrance.
You can't get scanned once you pass through the slot, so no reason to leave it on all the way to the pad.

Clipper discount with a new community goal at Nu. I'm just going for a quick trip to get the global reward. Take any metal to Syromyatnikov station in Nu. I'm only in for the Clipper discount. I'd like to replace my Asp.

Clipper discount with a new community goal at Nu. I'm just going for a quick trip to get the global reward. Take any metal to Syromyatnikov station in Nu. I'm only in for the Clipper discount. I'd like to replace my Asp.

How much is it on discount?

Also, LOL @ Burst Laser damage. Popping Anacondas in 7 or 8 shots by targeting the power plant?

ok.

Shifty76

I just wish Facece had something worth buying :/

Already have a FDL which is the pick of the ships they sell, so that ship discount is wasted for me.

Yes!

But be careful not to hit anything as your shields are completely down in silent running.

Outposts often have zero security.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

There is literally no reason to play all these games to avoid getting scanned. Line yourself up with the slot from about 8km out, and boost your way through the maelstrom.

Isn't that what these new "fixes" are aiming to prevent? The second you're being scanned, you're not going to be able to dock anymore. In my most recent experience with this, the security ships were still firing into the dock even after I had paid my fines.

A joystick isn't needed, but it does add to the experience. I had been playing with a controller and had mastered its controls as much as one can.

There's an adjustment period after switching to a hotas, but I believe it's an improvement. Easier to control your speed during battle and added maneuverability. When I was using my controller, there would be times in the midst of battle where I would have trouble constantly adjusting for the optimal speed. Minute course adjustments feel more authentic and you can manage power adjustments on the joystick of the Thrustmaster as opposed to taking my thumb off of the left analog stick.

I honestly hadn't thought to do that before. Is it possible to end up with a bounty placed upon you by both the affiliated government and system? That would seem likely in independent systems, unless I'm wrong.

Jedi2016

The second you're being scanned, you're not going to be able to dock anymore.
The second the scan is finished, if I understand the mechanics correctly. And doesn't chaff still work to throw off a scan? I know some people were bitching that they were still getting scanned, but the mechanics doesn't stop them from scanning you (so you'll still see the warning), it just stops them from actually getting anything from the scan, so they won't start shooting at you.

As for the people bitching about how hard it is to avoid the cops:

giphy.gif

Because seriously, if you're going to make a living being a smuggler or a pirate, then you can't have a reasonable expectation to just go about willy-nilly without any kind of repercussions. That big "WANTED" bar on your ship's display is there for a reason.

Unless they changed it recently, being scanned doesn't prevent you from docking. I used the "fuck it, let's boost in" method successfully all the time, even when a scan started as I was flying through the mailslot.

Hylian7

The second the scan is finished, if I understand the mechanics correctly. And doesn't chaff still work to throw off a scan? I know some people were bitching that they were still getting scanned, but the mechanics doesn't stop them from scanning you (so you'll still see the warning), it just stops them from actually getting anything from the scan, so they won't start shooting at you.

giphy.gif

Because seriously, if you're going to make a living being a smuggler or a pirate, then you can't have a reasonable expectation to just go about willy-nilly without any kind of repercussions. That big "WANTED" bar on your ship's display is there for a reason.
You say that last bit, but forget about the times you are shooting a wanted Anaconda and then a cop decides "I'm just gonna fly right into the line of fire, because fuck you!"

Shifty76

You say that last bit, but forget about the times you are shooting a wanted Anaconda and then a cop decides "I'm just gonna fly right into the line of fire, because fuck you!"

I've been playing this since beta, the majority of that time bounty hunting and I can honestly say that in that thousand or so hours this has happened to me exactly once.

Always blows my mind that so many people have that complaint. It's really not difficult to quit firing as soon as you hear or see (use your radar!) someone approaching your line of fire.

I've been playing this since beta, the majority of that time bounty hunting and I can honestly say that in that thousand or so hours this has happened to me exactly once.

Always blows my mind that so many people have that complaint. It's really not difficult to quit firing as soon as you hear or see (use your radar!) someone approaching your line of fire.

It definitely happened to me a LOT when I first started playing. It's difficult to realize that you can be kilometers away from an enemy, where it can be hard to differentiate between distant targets, or even to realize how long your kinetic rounds take to reach the target.

In some weird way, I like it now--forces you to be careful with your fire. Feels much less "gamey" like this. Having said that, I still think they need to ease up on penalties for mistakes, especially to other CMDRs.

Hylian7

It has only happened to me a few times, however it can still happen.

Probably the worst one was the time was in my Vulture and some asshole labled Clean flew down into me and rammed me as I was chasing and shooting someone. Of course he rammed into the front part of my ship, keep in mind the Vulture's hardpoints are on the top of the ship, so of course that put him taking point blank laser fire. The ram itself only heavily damaged shields fortunately, but what wasn't so fortunate was that now every security ship in the RES had their hardpoints turned toward me. So that left my only option to finish off my target and then get the hell out of there and sneak into the station.

Plus you forget that there are some CMDRs out there that will use the tactic of flying into for line of fire intentionally and then be able to blow you up without it being a crime.

giphy.gif

As it has been said already, use Chaffs to prevent the scan from finishing. Until it's finished all is good.

Thanks for the tip regarding chaffs.

To reiterate, I'm not a smuggler or pirate, Jedi - just an occasionally unlucky bounty hunter. Anton's right in that it's an easy mistake to make early on; it's occurring far less frequently now.

I know the new mechanic is that docking's prevented once the scan's finished, but I thought that was inevitable because I didn't know about the chaff trick.

Unless they changed it recently, being scanned doesn't prevent you from docking. I used the "fuck it, let's boost in" method successfully all the time, even when a scan started as I was flying through the mailslot.

I should probably also state that I mainly use the docking computer because I got fed up with docking early on. The idea that I could boost through to dock before I could be scanned never occurred to me. To be clear, as I understand it, the latest patch changed the way docking works at stations. If you have a bounty for whatever reason, you are no longer able to dock once a scan by security is successfully completed.

Plus you forget that there are some CMDRs out there that will use the tactic of flying into for line of fire intentionally and then be able to blow you up without it being a crime.

That's a great idea for getting rid of other players where you're bounty hunting.

Flying around RES which is on the dark side of the planet is kinda risky. Doing this with Oculus Rift is even more risky :D I wasn't able to see ANY asteroids but managed to collect 1.2mio credits nevertheless :)

The Planet seemed to spin quite fast. After 40min the RES was clearly in the dark. When I got there it was barely in the day area. It's so great they implemented all this.

The Vulture is a great ship to play with OR though. I always fly out of the Asteroid belt and use the big ass front window to visually scan the area for vessels. So so great :)

Lagamorph

So...I'm starting to get the hang of this I think.
I ended up finding some 'illegal' goods floating around in space and sold them on the Black Market to net me a good chunk of credits, which I used to upgrade most of the internal equipment in my ship, and swap out my two basic Pulse lasers, so now I've got a Gimballed Pulse laser and a Gimballed Burst laser, along with a Point Defence system in one of my utility slots.

I'm gradually working my way towards the Sol system, just to check it out, though I think I need some kind of pass to enter the system don't I? I think to get that I just need to increase my reputation with the Federation don't I? Or do I need high reputation and then go buy the pass?

I think I'm also aiming to purchase an Adder as my next ship. Seems to be an all around improvement on the starter ship. Same manoeuvrability, higher shields, higher armour, more hardpoints. Though my eventual goal I think is going to be a Viper.

GeoGonzo

You earn permits by ranking up with the military of the Feds/Empire, so yes, you'll want to do missions for Federation aligned factions if you want to visit Sol, specially the ones coming directly from their navy.

So yeah, you seem to be doing alright!

So I'm trying to up my rep with the Federation so I take a contract for a Federation faction to kill targets in a warzone.

I go to the warzone, align myself with the Federation faction, get all my kills/bonds, then go back and hand it in.

My rep with the Federation went down.

Either I did something wrong or a bug?

Jedi2016

Another thing to remember regarding idiotic local security (happened to me tonight, incidentally) is that there is a sort of "grace period", where if you pay the fine off within a short time period there's basically no other penalty and no "we'll kill you as soon as we see you" sort of thing. Since most of the local fuzz turns on you as soon as you cross that invisible line, the best thing to do is just bug out and head for the nearest station to pay off the fine. No fuss, no muss.

Ugh. Virtually every ship I've lost has been a result of me going into autopilot after a long session and just not paying attention. I just lost my FDL for the first time. I was bounty hunting for like 2 hours. I looked away for a few seconds to see a video, I look back at the screen and I smash directly into an asteroid and immediately exploded. I was a little surprised that I didn't survive because I didn't appear to be moving that fast but boom. 5.5 mil cr in bounties and 4.5 million buy back. What a boneheaded waste of time.

Shifty76

Ugh. Virtually every ship I've lost has been a result of me going into autopilot after a long session and just not paying attention. I just lost my FDL for the first time. I was bounty hunting for like 2 hours. I looked away for a few seconds to see a video, I look back at the screen and I smash directly into an asteroid and immediately exploded. I was a little surprised that I didn't survive because I didn't appear to be moving that fast but boom. 5.5 mil cr in bounties and 4.5 million buy back. What a boneheaded waste of time.
Ouch!

Parked my FDL and bought a clipper. Outfitted it for exploration and mining and headed towards the center of the galaxy. Yeah an asp is a better exploration ship, but I like to travel in style :)

Last trip I came across a ton of pristine metallic rings so I figured I'd bring a refinery and mining lasers this time. 180-odd tonnes cargo space will take forever to fill up, but whatever - no rush.

not sure how I hadn't heard about this game until today. I love space and sci fi books and have never found a game that successfully merged my two favorite things (space and video games).

I dont have a joystick and I'm not sure I want to learn to use one, is playing this with a controller or MKB worth it?

Also is it worth getting on a limited playtime budget (wife+kid). all the reviews ive seen say its awesome but a huge time sink. any thoughts? you guys who bought it, is it tons o fun?

not sure how I hadn't heard about this game until today. I love space and sci fi books and have never found a game that successfully merged my two favorite things (space and video games).

I dont have a joystick and I'm not sure I want to learn to use one, is playing this with a controller or MKB worth it?

Also is it worth getting on a limited playtime budget (wife+kid). all the reviews ive seen say its awesome but a huge time sink. any thoughts? you guys who bought it, is it tons o fun?

If you can get into it, it's a lot of fun. However, it does take many hours to progress to the point that someone like Felix Lighter is at.

The 360 controller plus kb/m is a good combination.

hey guys, any tips for upping rank in the Empire. I've been doing random Bulletin Board missions for like a day and a half of play and am just "Friendly" with most Empire factions or whatever.

Also, with regard to finding a specific mark for an assassination mission...I've been just sort of wandering around the systems they may spawn in, going to the random unidentified/weak/strong signals that randomly appear. Nothing, bros. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. It just feels like a lot of time being wasted where I could be bounty hunting in planetary rings making a couple million a day. Feeling unproductive is very unsatisfying, and feeling like I'm "fishing", or otherwise wandering is not enjoyable at all. Especially when my playtime is so limited. I really need to feel like I'm making some sort of progress. Seeing bounty money come in and being able to slowly upgrade my weapons and shit on my Vulture means I can very easily see my progress. This mission shit? IDK.

I should probably also state that I mainly use the docking computer because I got fed up with docking early on. The idea that I could boost through to dock before I could be scanned never occurred to me. To be clear, as I understand it, the latest patch changed the way docking works at stations. If you have a bounty for whatever reason, you are no longer able to dock once a scan by security is successfully completed.

Yes, correct--if the scan FINISHES before you make it into the station, you're fucked. But if they START scanning you, you can still enter the station as long as you make it in before it's done.

hey guys, any tips for upping rank in the Empire. I've been doing random Bulletin Board missions for like a day and a half of play and am just "Friendly" with most Empire factions or whatever.

Also, with regard to finding a specific mark for an assassination mission...I've been just sort of wandering around the systems they may spawn in, going to the random unidentified/weak/strong signals that randomly appear. Nothing, bros. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. It just feels like a lot of time being wasted where I could be bounty hunting in planetary rings making a couple million a day. Feeling unproductive is very unsatisfying, and feeling like I'm "fishing", or otherwise wandering is not enjoyable at all. Especially when my playtime is so limited. I really need to feel like I'm making some sort of progress. Seeing bounty money come in and being able to slowly upgrade my weapons and shit on my Vulture means I can very easily see my progress. This mission shit? IDK.

I don't know if it's anything like Federation progression, but with Fed, you just do a bunch of missions that list influence (or faction?) rep gain as the reward until you finally see missions from the Federal (or Imperial, in your case) Navy directly.

For assassination missions, don't bother with strong or weak signal sources--I've only ever found the pirate at unknown signal sources. It is a bit like fishing, but I always find the first clue about their location in the system where I picked up the mission, usually.

Shifty76

Just keep up with missions. The relationship increase ones preferably (donate x number of items)

Assassination missions: Keep checking USS. You'll eventually get an npc telling you where your target is. That or an unnamed dropship which is your target. You may also come across an alternate mission giver. Just ignore them and stick with the mission.

Check your current worth on the side panel for an indication of progress. That and your combat/trade/exploration rankings anyway.

Lagamorph

Been trying out the Adder but it's pretty rubbish for combat. The small hardpoints are oriented on the underside and set a good bit back, meaning that as soon as an enemy ship pulls around halfway above the screen, gimballed small weapons can no longer target them. Seeing as how that's where the enemy ship seems to spend most of the time when I'm in combat (since that's where I can, y'know, see them), I'm rather tempted to go back to the Sidewinder for now and just save up for a Cobra by doing various black market missions and the occasional bit of bounty hunting.
Was looking at the Viper, but it seems that once you outfit it for combat it pretty much cripples many other roles and gives you severely limited range, so the Cobra seems a better all-rounder, which suits my play style a bit better.

The eventual dream is the Anaconda though.

Skyzard

Banned
Starting to miss this again.

Definitely picking up the expansions when they land, hopefully that will stop me from burning out next time.
Bit sour about no steam key yet, at least they're apparently supposedly looking into it but yeah I want it attached to my main game account for sure.

Have people been enjoying the wings update (came out a while ago right)?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Have people been enjoying the wings update (came out a while ago right)?

I have yet to be in an actual wing myself, but it's very fun attacking pirate wings of 2 or 3 ships, makes bounty hunting much more interesting. It was a good update though, many little improvements that were great. They continue to slowly polish this game into an even better game, I've been happy with all of the updates so far.

Wings, and the Community Goals that came with a patch right before it (I think), definitely rejuvenated the game for me. Each week or so there tend to be a handful of community goals, and while there are a limited number of actions you can possibly take, the actions at least have consequences in the game world AND have great rewards. Community Goals are a legit way of progressing through the game pretty naturally, both in terms of money and ranks.

Wreav

Banned
I bought a Type 7 last night to help with the Clipper goal in Nu, and my goodness, what a bus. I have never felt more vulnerable.

Shifty76

I bought a Type 7 last night to help with the Clipper goal in Nu, and my goodness, what a bus. I have never felt more vulnerable.
Bus is right. Grind empire rep and get yourself a clipper instead. More cargo space, way faster, turns faster, plus if you get bored of trading you can stick big guns on it and kill stuff.

Wreav

Banned
Bus is right. Grind empire rep and get yourself a clipper instead. More cargo space, way faster, turns faster, plus if you get bored of trading you can stick big guns on it and kill stuff.

Yep, that's the hope, and why I'm doing this community goal.

Maybe this explains why I felt vulnerable in my new Vulture despite it having the same shield strength as the Python:

One caveat, shield damage is NOT scaled by Class size.
C1 lasers do the same damage to anaconda shields as they do to sidewinder shields (tiny damage, but not reduced.)
All class penalties are applied only to HULL. so if you can help it, make your high class slots kinetic and lower class lasers as they wont be nerfed against bigger target's shields, IE 4 small laser+2 med multicannons on an asp

Maybe I'll sell my clipper and rebuy it at a discount if it gets low enough
I've got 85 mil in assets but cant decide whether to get a t9, a python, an FDL, pimp out my clipper, etc.

I've got 85 mil in assets but cant decide whether to get a t9, a python, an FDL, pimp out my clipper, etc.

If you first sell the parts (parts sold individual sell at 100% the purchase price so you lose nothing there) and then sell the ship you lose 10% of the ship value. Then rebuy at a 20% discount you'd be up 10% of the Clipper's cost, which would make you 2.2 mil cr. I believe. You can then rebuy the parts you sold. Also, insurance rebuy cost is dependent on purchase price, so your rebuy cost will decrease a bit as well.

Shifty76

If purely combat: FDL
Multirole: Python
Trading: Python
Pimped out multirole: Clipper

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Has anyone been playing with a PS4 controller instead of 360? I read that the deadzone is significantly improved. (not sure how it compares with the Xbox One version)

Edit: here it is. The PS4 and Xbox One versions were both a lot better than the 360.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158378773

What I have:
X360 - 0.06 - 0.08
XO - 0.01 - 0.02
DS4 - 0.00 - 0.01 (original, worn down left analog stick hahahaha) haven't tested a new one.

Traveled to GCRV 4981. I'm rather hesitant to get closer then 263km from the black hole. Shouldn't that be past the event horizon?

Look up CMDR Andrew Creeves if you ever need help, or a Fed to beat up.

Recently upgraded my rig so I decided to revisit this, and I'm having some -strange- issues with my X52 Pro.

I'm certain it's not the game's fault (even happens while not in-game), but for the life of me I can't pin-point what's causing this strange behavior.
(and while not strictly ED-related I can't think of any other community around here that uses the X52 as much :p)

The most obvious issue is that while everything works fine, suddenly (and randomly?) the throttle will not back down to idle/0%, even if it's physically all the way back.

If I exit the game and check the X52's device properties they look something like this: (see that Z-Axis reading)

x52proq1k39.png

The only way to solve this is to disconnect/reconnect the USB cable at which point it will reset(?) it's position/calibration and work fine again, until the next time it will happen.

Also sometimes while playing, the "Mode" LED on the stick will change color, as if I turned the "Mode Change" knob and will not respond to any further inputs. (unless I repeat the disconnect/reconnect USB cable ritual)

What's bugging me is that the X52 was working perfectly fine on the old rig, so I don't think there's something wrong with it. (and I don't believe it's a coincidence that it happens with the new rig)

Been reading left and right about possible issues with the X52 on USB3 ports w/ certain chipsets (using an Asus Z97-A here) and some folks using X52 on Windows 8.1 having to downgrade to an older driver version.

Already tried/checked:
- Using a USB2 port
- PS2-ish cable connecting throttle<->stick looks fine
- Saitek calibration registry fix (from here)
- Of course axis deadzones look fine
- Windows USB power management disabled

Anyone faced a similar issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom