• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clipper discount is up to 26%. The minimum reward is now 100k credits (all you have to do is drop off a single unit of cargo to qualify for this), and top 70% is 1.25 million.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's over. 29% discount!

pGlMnCK.png

My knee-jerk reaction would be to check for BIOS updates, if you upgraded or changed the motherboard.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough, it's a completely new system i.e nothing carried-over from previous rig. (but anyways BIOS already updated to latest version)

Looking more into it (ED forums as well) looks like there are lots of people using Z97 motherboards that face similar issues X52 issues.

Wonder if it's specific hardware/software combos that are doing this.

Kiyoshi

Recently upgraded my rig so I decided to revisit this, and I'm having some -strange- issues with my X52 Pro.

I'm certain it's not the game's fault (even happens while not in-game), but for the life of me I can't pin-point what's causing this strange behavior.
(and while not strictly ED-related I can't think of any other community around here that uses the X52 as much :p)

The most obvious issue is that while everything works fine, suddenly (and randomly?) the throttle will not back down to idle/0%, even if it's physically all the way back.

If I exit the game and check the X52's device properties they look something like this: (see that Z-Axis reading)

x52proq1k39.png

The only way to solve this is to disconnect/reconnect the USB cable at which point it will reset(?) it's position/calibration and work fine again, until the next time it will happen.

Also sometimes while playing, the "Mode" LED on the stick will change color, as if I turned the "Mode Change" knob and will not respond to any further inputs. (unless I repeat the disconnect/reconnect USB cable ritual)

What's bugging me is that the X52 was working perfectly fine on the old rig, so I don't think there's something wrong with it. (and I don't believe it's a coincidence that it happens with the new rig)

Been reading left and right about possible issues with the X52 on USB3 ports w/ certain chipsets (using an Asus Z97-A here) and some folks using X52 on Windows 8.1 having to downgrade to an older driver version.

Already tried/checked:
- Using a USB2 port
- PS2-ish cable connecting throttle<->stick looks fine
- Saitek calibration registry fix (from here)
- Of course axis deadzones look fine
- Windows USB power management disabled

Anyone faced a similar issue?

Yep, happens to me. I always re-plug the USB cable before I play just in case. I've lost a ship to this issue.

Shifty76

2000 LY from home on my exploration trip. Best find so far is 3 x water worlds in one system, all terraforming candidates.

No black holes, white dwarves or neutrons yet.

Lagamorph

They're pretty useless though really. Trying to use those just seems to make it take even longer finding things. Best way I've found is to try and find where any ships are on the radar and head for them since they'll probably be around the entry point.

But seriously, stations like that should have an entry port on at least two sides. More often than not you come out of Supercruise on the wrong side of the station.

Lagamorph

Nope. That should come in really useful...though those stations are still stupidly annoying. Whoever designed them needs a kick to the crotch.

Yup, as already mentioned, the entrance is almost always facing the planet the station orbits, and its always on the side that is rotating counter clockwise.

Even though you'll hit the gravity well and slow down, I find it's almost always faster to take the time to orient yourself to the proper side of the station before exiting Supercruise vs dropping and then taking the time to get there.

Unrelated, but bummed the CG is already over. Tonight might be the only time this week I can play and I don't feel like bounty hunting :(

Lagamorph

How do you use the external/debug camera?
It's bound to L-CTRL+L-ALT in my options, but if I hit those keys together nothing happens.

I'm playing using a combination of 360 Pad + Keyboard

Yep, happens to me. I always re-plug the USB cable before I play just in case. I've lost a ship to this issue.

Thanks man, almost lost a ship as well.

For now my only solution is to change the throttle behavior in-game from "Forward" to "Full Range" (I think that's the name of the setting).

That way when the throttle is centered thrust is idle. (I lose thrust when issue appears when reversing but I guess it's better than nothing)

Edit: OK I think I've solved it. It's silly but I was using an active USB extension cable that I got just the other day for my G27 (since it didn't like the old passive one I was using), but for some reason the X52 was -obviously- having problems with it. Re-connected the passive one and now everything works just fine.

Shifty76

Aww man. Spent the last two days traveling towards the first non-sequence star I managed to find on the map. Turns out someone had been there before me despite everything around it being undiscovered.

Scary as hell dropping out of hyperspace and seeing only black though!

Pic of the first neutron star I've found if anyone is interested:

Hylian7

Sweet, I'm only about 80 LY from that! Heading over there.

Just turned in one run of bounties and made it into the top 70%!

New dev update!

This week has seen the release of the latest Mac beta build. As always I&#8217;d like to thank everyone testing the build and providing feedback &#8211; it is much appreciated and please continue to do so! The Mac team are currently focused exclusively on the Mac build in isolation, but in a few weeks we&#8217;ll run a combined Mac and PC crossplay test. I&#8217;ll post more details on that as we approach that test.

We&#8217;re only one week away from the Powerplay announcement, but in the meantime I have more ancillary goodness that will form part of the update alongside the new features. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the new drones that are coming and I have one more to tell you about &#8211; the prospector drone. This can be fired off to investigate an asteroid and determine its metal/mineral composition. Like all of the other drones (and limpets) each unit occupies a cargo slot and requires an appropriate module to control the type. So you need a cargo hatch breaker module and a collection drone controller to deploy either of those types of drone. The drones are universal and it is up to the controller to determine the actions of the launched drone.

While it does make some of the mining gameplay easier the main reason for adding the drones is to provide scalability for mining (in particular) thus making the larger ships more useful in that role. I also mentioned that there would be more love for mining beyond the new drones and here it is. Two new mining minerals are being added &#8211; painite and osmium. There will also be a bonus in created minerals or metals when mining at resource extraction sites. Beyond that we will have low and high intensity resource extraction sites. At low intensity sites there is lower output for mining, but also a heavier system authority presence and lower pirate presence. For the high intensity sites this is reversed, so is more dangerous with more pirates and less security, but also greater rewards for mining there.

It&#8217;s not all about miners of course. Continuing from last week&#8217;s details on the new mission system there&#8217;s another change that I can tell you about. Currently targets for missions are found in USSs (Unidentified Signal Sources), this will remain the case for some targets, but others like assassination targets will have to be hunted down in supercruise before they can be taken out.

tl;dr

-New Mac beta build; crossplay tests coming in a few weeks
-Powerplay announcement coming next week
-Prospector drone: investigates composition of asteroid; each unit occupies cargo slot and requires a specific module
-Main reason for prospector drone is to make large ships more useful as mining ships
-Two new mining mats: painite and osmium
-Bonus in created minerals/metals when mining at RES
-High and low intensity RES: low intensity have less mining output but have more security; high intensity have more mining output but are less secure
-Assassination missions will no longer depend on USS--you'll have to find the target in Supercruise in the system

EDIT: The combat bond CG is already over--I don't think FD has been prepared for the influx of Steam players. There are supposed to be some new CGs in the next 24 hours, though.

Kinda frustrating--last night I spent an hour traveling to Tsu to pick up my Vulture, then traveled 200 ly to Mictlan and logged off for the night.

Are they still viewing the drones as a one-time use like limpets? Seems absolutely dumb.

Yup, they're sticking to that. Because they occupy cargo space, after they collect the cargo, there would be no room for them in the ship.

I felt the same way as you initially, but it makes sense, in a way. Still, I don't know why you couldn't have just a single, large drone that occupied an Internal Component space or something that just went to work for you for X amount of time, then deposited everything in your cargo rack, then returned to the internal component (or something).

EDIT: Additional updates via reddit:

Wait so if I understand these drone things right so if I have an asp I load up 60 collector drones 20 prospect drone and then I need to also sacrifice 2 module slots to be able to use them and then after a set amount of time they die and then I have to rebuy every single drone?
That's correct, but the cargo space used by the drones would be filled by whatever they are collecting - more if they are in area collect mode.

-Steam keys are still at least a few weeks a way from being "sorted out"
-Even Low Intensity RES will yield more minerals/metals than the normal RES in-game now
-Dropping into a ring cluster will be the same as it is today--only RES locations will have high/low intensity changes

DrBo42

Yup, they're sticking to that. Because they occupy cargo space, after they collect the cargo, there would be no room for them in the ship.

I felt the same way as you initially, but it makes sense, in a way. Still, I don't know why you couldn't have just a single, large drone that occupied an Internal Component space or something that just went to work for you for X amount of time, then deposited everything in your cargo rack, then returned to the internal component (or something).
No, it's still absolutely absurd. You wouldn't fill your hold in a Python for example with 200 drones. 2300 something or other is the year and we have drones that become inoperable after they scan an asteroid or scoop up cargo? I'm screaming internally right now, haha.

Shifty76

Hmm...might sell my clipper and buy a "mining" python...with 4 x gimballed pulse lasers for killing pesky wannabe pirates. Make money from bounties while my drones collect mining fragments for me. Sounds like a win win to me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Honestly, mining is sounding like a profession I'm going to enjoy the hell out of after the patch, as long as they design the drone usage in a good way. Quietly rock slicing in RES's with great views of planets surrounded by rings, occasionally needing to annihilate pirate scum with my weapons, sounds great to me. As long as they make it decently profitable and somewhat comparable to other means of earning credits. I'd really like it if they made deep space RES sites far away from civilization even more lucrative, but I doubt they will. Would give explorers reasons to stop and dig a bit now and then!

Honestly, mining is sounding like a profession I'm going to enjoy the hell out of after the patch, as long as they design the drone usage in a good way. Quietly rock slicing in RES's with great views of planets surrounded by rings, occasionally needing to annihilate pirate scum with my weapons, sounds great to me. As long as they make it decently profitable and somewhat comparable to other means of earning credits. I'd really like it if they made deep space RES sites far away from civilization even more lucrative, but I doubt they will. Would give explorers reasons to stop and dig a bit now and then!

I'm hoping they stick to their plans for mining. Both of these threads indicate that there will be an "exploration" phase where you scan/drone a system to find minding areas.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7007
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7196

I've had the game for a couple of weeks now. I've been mostly screwing around with my X55 setup and running the tutorials. I've been trying to do bulletin board missions, but they're so random I often find absolutely nothing.

I've got the stock Sidewinder and 35,000 credits. I currently suck at combat. Any suggestions on things I can do?

frontieruk

I've had the game for a couple of weeks now. I've been mostly screwing around with my X55 setup and running the tutorials. I've been trying to do bulletin board missions, but they're so random I often find absolutely nothing.

I've got the stock Sidewinder and 35,000 credits. I currently suck at combat. Any suggestions on things I can do?

Get out of the Sidey :(

A ship with more cargo and better range opens more up to you, the cobra is a great MP ship but you need the money to cover insurance on it and it'll need some upgrades, so I'd probably grab a hauler and run trade routes even a stock it has double the standard sidey cargo space, so you'll double your trade profit.

Also do the rank missions on the boards, you generally start getting higher payout missions as you get friendlier with the factions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom