• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

Yeah I've mapped next/prev subsystem to keyboard and it really helps. I did have it on one of my hat switches but really pretty much none of the buttons nor switches are any good for anything that you are going to want to hit somewhat rapidly. Targetting power plants on Anacondas is a must. Seems like it doesn't accomplish nearly as much against anything smaller though, certainly not if you're at an RES and other people are pounding the hull.

Really the pulse beams drain power plenty fast enough, for a big target at 4 pips I'm still going to run low on juice. Maybe if I did more hit and run tactics I could see wanting better DPS.

Anyway, this is what I have now: EDShipyard
Code:
[Vulture]
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
U: 0C Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0A Shield Booster

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 4A Power Plant
TM: 5E Thrusters
FH: 4A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 3B Life Support
PC: 5A Power Distributor
SS: 4B Sensors
FS: 3C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 8)

5: 5B Shield Generator
4: 4C Shield Cell Bank
2: 2D Hull Reinforcement Package
1: 1D Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
1: 1D Hull Reinforcement Package

Now that I've built up a few million in the bank I think it's time for me to start thinking of what to upgrade, but this has been working pretty well for me.

Better thrusters for sure. D class is sufficient though since the vulture is so agile anyway. D class life support too - less weight and 10 mins should be plenty of time to rtb. Same with sensors - D class is plenty. Downgrading those should give you the power capacity to run a 4B SCB

mitchman

Gold Member
I've started fitting shield cell banks as priority 2 on the Vulture and FdL, meaning I have to stow the weapons to fire it. It means I can fit 4 shield boosters on the FdL and a better fitting otherwise. I rarely need to fire a SCB, so it seems to work out ok.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I read somewhere that you shouldn't bother to upgrade the thrusters if your mass is below the optimum rated mass. Apparently that gives you optimal turn speed regardless of thruster class. I guess I could test it out, but this Vulture feels pretty agile to me.

Guys, 2 quick questions:

1.) I got 2 naval ascension missions that spawned at the same time. I should only accept one of those right? I think I read that taking more than one mission at a time does nothing for you.

2.) Both ascension missions are assassination missions. So far in this game I've had a very bad experience with assassination missions (the targets not spawning after several hours or never). Can I pass on these missions entirely? Might there be a different ascension mission at a different station if I go somewhere else? If I exit and restart, might I see a different ascension mission?

edit:

3.) Or is it easier to find ascension mission assassination targets? Seems there's only one location he may spawn in like other assassination missions where there are like 3

Shifty76

I read somewhere that you shouldn't bother to upgrade the thrusters if your mass is below the optimum rated mass. Apparently that gives you optimal turn speed regardless of thruster class. I guess I could test it out, but this Vulture feels pretty agile to me.

It's purely to reduce weight for more jump distance really.

@Dreams: Correct for #1
#2 you should be fine.

GeoGonzo

Guys, 2 quick questions:

1.) I got 2 naval ascension missions that spawned at the same time. I should only accept one of those right? I think I read that taking more than one mission at a time does nothing for you.

2.) Both ascension missions are assassination missions. So far in this game I've had a very bad experience with assassination missions (the targets not spawning after several hours or never). Can I pass on these missions entirely? Might there be a different ascension mission at a different station if I go somewhere else? If I exit and restart, might I see a different ascension mission?

edit:

3.) Or is it easier to find ascension mission assassination targets? Seems there's only one location he may spawn in like other assassination missions where there are like 3

1) correct, do only one of them. The second one wont rank you up.
2) dont worry, these are much easier than an elite pirate. Consider bringing some chaff maybe.
2b) plus you dont have a choice: every rank is reached doing a very particular mission, and this is the one you have to do next.

Jedi2016

I mean overall ship power. Running pulses will let you run things like more shield boosters and shield cell banks.
Do shield boosters affect cell bank charge time like they do regular charge time?

Shield boosters do suck up a LOT of power. The only ship I ever fitted them on was my trader, since it had no weapons.. just designed to soak as much damage as possible until I can run. I kinda sold that ship to buy my Vulture.. lol.

Shifty76

Do shield boosters affect cell bank charge time like they do regular charge time?

Shield boosters do suck up a LOT of power. The only ship I ever fitted them on was my trader, since it had no weapons.. just designed to soak as much damage as possible until I can run. I kinda sold that ship to buy my Vulture.. lol.
Not sure sorry.

Finally finding some good stuff on my exploration journey. 8 terraforming candidates in one system including two water worlds. Same system had an earth-like too. Estimating I have first discoveries on 30 water worlds and 10 earth-likes now. Oh, and two neutron stars from this afternoon.

Approaching the outside edge of the galaxy centre now so looking forward to neutrons and black holes becoming more common. Still haven't found any undiscovered black holes :/

DrBo42

Wow these combat community goals are getting SLAUGHTERED by the amount of people playing. Checked last night and it was at tier 4 with a week remaining. Tonight? Over. Steam really must have driven the sales. Hopefully powerplay gets more people in the game and brings back the burnt out players. Better be good.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow these combat community goals are getting SLAUGHTERED by the amount of people playing. Checked last night and it was at tier 4 with a week remaining. Tonight? Over. Steam really must have driven the sales. Hopefully powerplay gets more people in the game and brings back the burnt out players. Better be good.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. I've been out exploring again but I wouldn't mind flying it to partake in one of these combat goals. Problem is that by the time I read about them they are already over, lol. I really hope they change them somehow to make them more accessible to the players who don't play 10 hours a day.

Shifty76

Reached the edge of the galaxy centre. Man there are a lot of undiscovered neutron stars and white dwarves. Every second jump it seems like I hit one. Still no black holes though :(

1) correct, do only one of them. The second one wont rank you up.
2) dont worry, these are much easier than an elite pirate. Consider bringing some chaff maybe.
2b) plus you dont have a choice: every rank is reached doing a very particular mission, and this is the one you have to do next.

ty for the insights on this. they were indeed laughably easy compared to the regular assassination missions. no more than 5 minutes went by in the system before they popped. Went from the second Imperial rank up to Lord before passing out last night.

Anyway, another question for anyone:

I'm sort of floating around to different systems trying to find some that are not listed as "Allied" and am having a bit of trouble. Should I go back to systems that are already "Allied" and do more missions? Can I get a chance to level up one more time in systems in which all Empire factions are "Allied"? Or should I fly out to some system under Empire control like 100LY away to try to find a few factions that are still just "Friendly"?

Also, that discount imperial clipper goal still says "14 days" on the Transactions tab. Obviously that's no longer accurate. Does anyone know how many days there really are left? So that I know if I need to sell some ships to buy it or if I still have quite a bit of time to make some more money.

Shifty76

ty for the insights on this. they were indeed laughably easy compared to the regular assassination missions. no more than 5 minutes went by in the system before they popped. Went from the second Imperial rank up to Lord before passing out last night.

Anyway, another question for anyone:

I'm sort of floating around to different systems trying to find some that are not listed as "Allied" and am having a bit of trouble. Should I go back to systems that are already "Allied" and do more missions? Can I get a chance to level up one more time in systems in which all Empire factions are "Allied"? Or should I fly out to some system under Empire control like 100LY away to try to find a few factions that are still just "Friendly"?

Also, that discount imperial clipper goal still says "14 days" on the Transactions tab. Obviously that's no longer accurate. Does anyone know how many days there really are left? So that I know if I need to sell some ships to buy it or if I still have quite a bit of time to make some more money.
There is also a hidden reputation ranking with each subfaction in behind the generic "allied" rating. Try to move around a bit so you can do missions for different subfactions in order to generate more rank missions.

Pomerlaw

ZIqkSKm.png

There is also a hidden reputation ranking with each subfaction in behind the generic "allied" rating. Try to move around a bit so you can do missions for different subfactions in order to generate more rank missions.

roger that. I really just need to generate that one more rank mission, so I'm hopeful it'll happen today.

DrBo42

So even if this thing is player alliances, what change could that possibly make in the galaxy? They're already said no player owned areas or stations or player driven economy, no? Seems silly to think it'd change much in the grand scheme of things.

Finally had a chance to play again after over a week, and I started off by making that first major purchase I'd been debating. Sold my little Sidewinder and jumped into a Cobra. Had enough leftover cash to outfit it with gimballed pulse lasers on all four hardpoints, two 1Fs and two 2Fs. The bottom-of-the-line Kill Warrant Scanner left me with under 1,000 credits. Dangerous.

I jumped to a nearby belt cluster just to see what those were all about--my first time visiting one--not expecting anything but a quick sight-seeing trip. Upon arrival I was immediately cargo-scanned by a competent pirate in a Python. I returned the favor with a kill warrant scan. He was wanted, of course, with a bounty of 141k--highest single bounty I'd yet seen, and I was all alone out there with him. I had no cargo, and he made a disparaging remark about my inability to furnish a living for myself. Then he deployed his hardpoints. Now, at this time, I hadn't tested my new Cobra's flight or combat capabilities whatsoever, so to say I was nervous would be one hell of an understatement. I almost jumped away, but my adrenaline and desire to take risks got the best of me. Besides, he was talking shit, and I don't take kindly to that. I targeted his power plant and deployed all four of my Cobra's hardpoints for the first time.

2 minutes later I had a voucher for 141k and a Cobra still in showroom shape--not a single scratch on it. Along with the fragments of his ship, he left behind several containers of liquor, so I snatched those up and sold them on the black market for another 5k. That's how I make a living, Mr. Mean (and very dead) Pirate Man.

I think I'm going to enjoy this Cobra very, very much.

Houndi101

So got my Tflight Hotas yesterday and been playing around with the demo, trying to figure out sufficient control bindings, so far no luck.
One problem I have is that even though I think my english vocabulary is pretty good I'm having problems with the terms in the controls.

I'm thinking I have some problems since the first combat training mission took me like 20 minutes and wasn't especially exciting.
Any suggestions on good control schemes?

Nymerio

So got my Tflight Hotas yesterday and been playing around with the demo, trying to figure out sufficient control bindings, so far no luck.
One problem I have is that even though I think my english vocabulary is pretty good I'm having problems with the terms in the controls.

I'm thinking I have some problems since the first combat training mission took me like 20 minutes and wasn't especially exciting.
Any suggestions on good control schemes?

Click the image to get to the thread. It's a great layout and I think a lot of the people in this thread use it as well.

Pomerlaw

You should have seen it in real time, full HD... :) That is why I like exploration in this game. It doesn't pay, but you always fall into something beautiful when you least expect it.

Here is another pic of the same planet.

cg8cNPW.png

Also, I noticed the Galaxy core is a light source, you can see the reflection on the top of the asteroid. :)

tfw0nS9.png

Nymerio

Thanks alot, looks legit, I went through some of these last night trying to figure out one that fits me.

Be sure to read his thoughts on logic, it helped me a lot. What I mean is: There's a button for boost and to enter supercruise you use the shift key + boost and to enter hyperspace you use the second shift key + boost. There's a couple more combinations like using chaff and shield banks that make it easier to remember if you get the logic behind the bindings.

Houndi101

Be sure to read his thoughts on logic, it helped me a lot. What I mean is: There's a button for boost and to enter supercruise you use the shift key + boost and to enter hyperspace you use the second shift key + boost. There's a couple more combinations like using chaff and shield banks that make it easier to remember if you get the logic behind the bindings.

Yeah I was trying to figure out how shift key + works in Elite dangerous? Or is it T.flight specific function?

Shifty76

Yeah I was trying to figure out how shift key + works in Elite dangerous? Or is it T.flight specific function?

Pretty sure it'd work with any setup. Just need to have 1-2 buttons used solely for shift-1 and shift-2.

I'm using a modified version of that crab config and love it.

Houndi101

So it's a modifier key in the control options? Never found it so ended up just downloading the configs from the thread.

Tried some demo missions again and I really need to look into basics and theory of dog fighting because it feels like I always turn too slow.

Nymerio

So it's a modifier key in the control options? Never found it so ended up just downloading the configs from the thread.
No, you just dedicate a key to act as shift. You can set combinations of keys for your bindings, so if you dedicate key1 to act as shift you just have to only use key1 in combination with other keys and not use key1 as a single binding for any function. That way when you press key1 nothing happens, but if you press another key that is bound in combination with your shift key you get the desired function. Hope that makes sense.
Tried some demo missions again and I really need to look into basics and theory of dog fighting because it feels like I always turn too slow.

Keep your thrusters in the blue area for the best turn rate. You can also deactivate flight assist for turns.

Pomerlaw

Don't yaw for fast turning, use pitch and roll, learn to use lateral trusters, pips to engine and always in the blue zone.

a4rfmfo.jpg

Shifty76

Good Lord Sag A is a long way out. I'm 11,500 LY from Sol so figured I might as well check it out since I'm nearly there anyway.

Yeah...turns out I'm nowhere near "nearly there." Sag A is another 15,000 LY towards the core so I'm not even half way there yet!

Ah well...since I'm out this far anyway I might as well carry on all the way. So many undiscovered white dwarves and neutrons now, but still no black holes :/

Pomerlaw

Good Lord Sag A is a long way out. I'm 11,500 LY from Sol so figured I might as well check it out since I'm nearly there anyway.

Yeah...turns out I'm nowhere near "nearly there." Sag A is another 15,000 LY towards the core so I'm not even half way there yet!

Ah well...since I'm out this far anyway I might as well carry on all the way. So many undiscovered white dwarves and neutrons now, but still no black holes :/

This game is BIG.

DrBo42

This game is BIG.
And mostly empty, sadly. Really need to add self contained stories in the random outer systems etc. Would be awesome to come across a distress beacon of an NPC explorer out there in need of fuel. Or better yet coming across derelict ships recovering their data and investigating what happened to them. The generated systems etc can be super beautiful but it's such a shallow galaxy at the moment.

Ronnie

Banned
Are there any community goals around the Sol region at the moment?

Also, I seem to have stopped getting rank progression missions since getting my Sol permit. I'll get unavailable missions on the bulletin board that reward with a Sol permit but it says (You already have this). Is this a bug?

DrBo42

At work at the moment or I'd give you a link to the thread. Check out the Elite Dangerous official forum, Dangerous Discussion area. Community goal thread is stickied. Yeah the permit thing is a common "issue". Should just be removed from the list once you earn it but it doesn't.

Ronnie

Banned
At work at the moment or I'd give you a link to the thread. Check out the Elite Dangerous official forum, Dangerous Discussion area. Community goal thread is stickied. Yeah the permit thing is a common "issue". Should just be removed from the list once you earn it but it doesn't.

Thanks will do.

Hope they fix the permit issue soon, been there for months!

Askani

Are there any community goals around the Sol region at the moment?

Also, I seem to have stopped getting rank progression missions since getting my Sol permit. I'll get unavailable missions on the bulletin board that reward with a Sol permit but it says (You already have this). Is this a bug?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113495

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom