• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
And mostly empty, sadly. Really need to add self contained stories in the random outer systems etc. Would be awesome to come across a distress beacon of an NPC explorer out there in need of fuel. Or better yet coming across derelict ships recovering their data and investigating what happened to them. The generated systems etc can be super beautiful but it's such a shallow galaxy at the moment.

Very much wanting this.

I haven't made my way outside of colonized space yet--are there still signal sources floating about when supercruising out in those distant systems? Any additional procedurally generated narrative "flavor" bits like you described should just be random signal sources to stumble upon, like any others out there at the moment. Hard to believe this sort of stuff wouldn't have been in the game sooner.

Pomerlaw

And mostly empty, sadly. Really need to add self contained stories in the random outer systems etc. Would be awesome to come across a distress beacon of an NPC explorer out there in need of fuel. Or better yet coming across derelict ships recovering their data and investigating what happened to them. The generated systems etc can be super beautiful but it's such a shallow galaxy at the moment.

We are supposed to get a mission system overhaul in 1.3.

Maybe it will make it all feel more alive.

DrBo42

Yeah I get the sense they've been waiting for some very specific tech creation like the wing beacon system, comms overhaul and now the mission changes to put more content in. Seems very reasonable to expect a system-wide broadcast that leads into a mission with an associated beacon nav point in the near future.

frontieruk

Yeah I get the sense they've been waiting for some very specific tech creation like the wing beacon system, comms overhaul and now the mission changes to put more content in. Seems very reasonable to expect a system-wide broadcast that leads into a mission with an associated beacon nav point in the near future.

They are potentially building the game out quite nicely, is always moving forward with what becomes available, I just hope they start bug squashing

LeBart

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE 1.3

I woke up this morning convinced it was thursday. I checked the official forums for the dev update every 10 minutes for the whole day.
iamnotasmartman.jpeg

On the plus side, it's just past midnight here, so YEAH IT'S DEV UPDATE DAY!
Hopefully they won't hold until the newsletter...

I'll be shocked if the info on powerplay is unveiled via newsletter or dev update before a press exclusive.

Fair point, but remember that Wings/1.2 details were all detailed in a Dev Update prior to the Newsletter. It's possible!

Don't ruin this for me

LeBart

I'm pretty happy with where the game is at since 1.2, but you're right about gamma.
I was still very hyped to finally see the final game.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5-qBUhaeY

Do you guys consider this an exploit?
I smashed my Vulture the other day, 800k+ rebuy plus at least 700k in bounties lost. Definitely an exploit, I would have done it though, I just didn't have enough time. I did realize that my only hope was to kill the game, but I only had enough time to try alt+f4. Turns out this game ignores alt+f4.

We are supposed to get a mission system overhaul in 1.3.

Maybe it will make it all feel more alive.

The mission system is a nightmare. I've been grinding Empire rep so I can buy that discounted Clipper. Nothing about it is fun.

Pretty much the whole UI is a nightmare, not just the mission stuff. The commodities screen sucks. The map sucks. The navigation panel sucks. The contacts panel sucks. The HUD sucks. The radar sucks. The ETA when you're in supercruise sucks. Power management sucks.

Shifty76

I actually like the UI, particularly the radar which I think is really well done.

Curious what specifically about all those things you mentioned you don't like and how you would change them.

well I did it boys. I did enough missions to get Baron status in the Empire and enough bounty runs at local RES sites to get enough money to buy a Clipper.

I am now the proud owner of the most under-equipped Imperial Clipper in the universe. I feel like I just bought a BMW 7-Series with no A/C, no CD, no Cruise Control, no Power Windows or Locks. Just the car and AM/FM.

I need another 3.5M just to have a respectable powerplant and FSD...and another 6 mill away from having quality weapons on it.

but I did it. I'm styish as fuck...and broke as fuck.

DrBo42

Pretty much the whole UI is a nightmare, not just the mission stuff. The commodities screen sucks. The map sucks. The navigation panel sucks. The contacts panel sucks. The HUD sucks. The radar sucks. The ETA when you're in supercruise sucks. Power management sucks.
You're nuts. The UI is one of the greatest bits of E:D.

well I did it boys. I did enough missions to get Baron status in the Empire and enough bounty runs at local RES sites to get enough money to buy a Clipper.

I am now the proud owner of the most under-equipped Imperial Clipper in the universe. I feel like I just bought a BMW 7-Series with no A/C, no CD, no Cruise Control, no Power Windows or Locks. Just the car and AM/FM.

I need another 3.5M just to have a respectable powerplant and FSD...and another 6 mill away from having quality weapons on it.

Congrats.

Shifty76

Sure hope you left enough cash to cover the insurance cost!

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I actually like the UI, particularly the radar which I think is really well done.

Curious what specifically about all those things you mentioned you don't like and how you would change them.
Well, let's see, the radar doesn't differentiate ships by size. It would also be nice if unclassified contacts were distinct from other contacts. If system authority ships were green unless hostile, rather than green only when allied. If ships classified as wanted showed up as say a lighter red or something. It would be nice if the currently targeted contact was more distinct. It's fine if there are like three ships, but anytime you're at an active site it's easy to lose track of them. The navigation thing to the side could be used for that purpose. Add a red dot that follows the same conventions, hollow if behind, solid if in front.

As for other stuff... I mean... are you serious? You play this game and aren't constantly baffled by the interface? Ok, let's look at the map. You can't lay in a course for a station. Any sane designer would have just had the station names pop up when you highlight a system on the galaxy map and let you plot a course. The little popups in the galaxy map have really poor descriptions and are cut off, so half the time I can't tell what I'm supposed to do in that system from the map screen. And of course I can't just click the mission in the map screen to bring up the full detail screen because... why? Or for that matter why can't you plot a course from the transactions screen when you click on a mission? Also the transactions screen could provide MUCH more useful info at a glance. System(s), mission type, cargo type including if you are carrying it or still have to find it. Maybe some color coding would help with that.

When you dock at a station for the love of god, why can't it just highlight "contacts" if you have bonds or bounties to redeem? Or if you have illegal cargo and there's a black market. The commodities screen should probably just put everything you can sell at the top, instead of forcing you to scroll through the screen checking the cargo column. It's not so bad when you're just carrying one thing, but if you're going for a little variety it's such a pain. Or just highlight the rows. I mean seriously, the whole interface is so monotone it's painful.

I mean, c'mon, when doing missions it's easier to just alt+tab to notepad to keep track of what you're doing. And it's not a good sign that instead of using the game to find trade routes you go to a freaking website to figure out routes. I mean, even if the interface was good a lot of people would go that route I'm sure, but right now it feels pointless to try to find trade routes in game.

well I did it boys. I did enough missions to get Baron status in the Empire and enough bounty runs at local RES to get enough money to buy a Clipper.

I know that feel, I pretty much just did the same. It's a sexy ass ship. But really if I had just grinded out bounties instead of grinding empire rep I probably would be up to a Python by now.

Askani

So I'm doing this combat thing in BV Phoenicis. Commanders in FDLs come in wings and align with the other side and start taking out Commanders. They get nothing out of this, right? They're just griefing just because? Are they getting bounties to turn in somewhere?

I just lost a million for a rebuy cost. Not the end of the world since I have enough to cover it, but I don't understand it.

Shifty76

Well, let's see, the radar doesn't differentiate ships by size. It would also be nice if unclassified contacts were distinct from other contacts.

I guess. Only takes a couple of seconds to look through your contacts tab on the left menu though, which I find works just fine for me.

If system authority ships were green unless hostile, rather than green only when allied. If ships classified as wanted showed up as say a lighter red or something. It would be nice if the currently targeted contact was more distinct. It's fine if there are like three ships, but anytime you're at an active site it's easy to lose track of them. The navigation thing to the side could be used for that purpose. Add a red dot that follows the same conventions, hollow if behind, solid if in front.
If it only showed wanted ships that you'd already quick scanned I'd be fine with that, but it shouldn't automagically show any wanted targets whether you've quick scanned them or not. I've never had issues with tracking current targets via the current bracket around target, even in busy CZ's with 30 or more ships.

Regarding not knowing whether a target is in front of or behind you, the map shows that perfectly already. Bar below the middle of the radar? it's behind you. Tall stalk with the horizontal bit at the top? Target is behind and above you. Short stalk with the horizontal bit at the bottom? Target is behind and just below you. Longer stalk = more distance up or down.

As for other stuff... I mean... are you serious? You play this game and aren't constantly baffled by the interface?
Nope, not at all.

Ok, let's look at the map. You can't lay in a course for a station.
In 1.3 you will be able to plot a course to a station from the system map. Not galaxy map, but it's something.

The little popups in the galaxy map have really poor descriptions and are cut off, so half the time I can't tell what I'm supposed to do in that system from the map screen.
Can't say I've ever come across that. Could you post a screenie with an example? Why not just look in your mission log for what you're supposed to do?

And of course I can't just click the mission in the map screen to bring up the full detail screen because... why?
Again, why not use the mission screen? Being able to track the mission via clicking on the map icon would be a nice QoL improvement sure, but it's not like it's impossible to track without it.

Or for that matter why can't you plot a course from the transactions screen when you click on a mission?
Agreed, would be handy. Lets hope it's part of the improvements in 1.3.

Also the transactions screen could provide MUCH more useful info at a glance. System(s), mission type, cargo type including if you are carrying it or still have to find it. Maybe some color coding would help with that.
It does provide info on system, mission type and cargo type. Not sure what you mean there. Missions also state when you pick them up whether they will give you the cargo to deliver or if you need to obtain it yourself. Of course you can always check your cargo slot too...

When you dock at a station for the love of god, why can't it just highlight "contacts" if you have bonds or bounties to redeem? Or if you have illegal cargo and there's a black market.
Meh, has never bothered me. I'm always aware via my transactions menu if I have bounties, combat bonds etc that I can cash in. I also tend to know if I'm carrying illicit cargo. Sure, it'd be nice to know if the station had a black market ahead of time, but I tend to think that is the type of thing that the black market operators wouldn't advertise ;)

The commodities screen should probably just put everything you can sell at the top, instead of forcing you to scroll through the screen checking the cargo column. It's not so bad when you're just carrying one thing, but if you're going for a little variety it's such a pain. Or just highlight the rows.
Can you sort by that column? I'd check but am a little too far away from civilization to check right now.

I mean seriously, the whole interface is so monotone it's painful.
Easy enough to modify your GUI colour. FD has also stated that they want to implement different colour screens as an option from in game in the future.

I mean, c'mon, when doing missions it's easier to just alt+tab to notepad to keep track of what you're doing.
How many missions are you taking on at once? I guess if you're doing 10+, but again, they're all listed in your transactions tab. Why would you need to go with pen & paper?

And it's not a good sign that instead of using the game to find trade routes you go to a freaking website to figure out routes. I mean, even if the interface was good a lot of people would go that route I'm sure, but right now it feels pointless to try to find trade routes in game.

Eh, all the best trade routes I've found have been using the in game tools. Sure, I've used Thrudds etc, but if a trade route is findable on there then anyone can stumble across it and run it dry.
There are only maybe 10 commodities with the big profit margins. Go into commodities market and check the imported from / sell to systems listed for those items. Head to the systems listed and check if they have a sell to commodity from the system you were at. Find two systems with compatible buy/sell products and there's your route.

I've found several routes that give profits in the range of 1400 one way, 1300 return from doing just that. Yes, it takes some time to find a good one, but it's so insanely profitable that if it were too easy then everyone would be flying anacondas after a week.

I do like some of your ideas. Why not head to the FD website and post them? Who knows, maybe they're already working on some of the things you mention. It does sound like 1.3 will be a big update.

Shifty76

So I'm doing this combat thing in BV Phoenicis. Commanders in FDLs come in wings and align with the other side and start taking out Commanders. They get nothing out of this, right? They're just griefing just because? Are they getting bounties to turn in somewhere?

I just lost a million for a rebuy cost. Not the end of the world since I have enough to cover it, but I don't understand it.

I'm assuming they're anti-Empire so are doing their best to disrupt the empire CG.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I do like some of your ideas. Why not head to the FD website and post them? Who knows, maybe they're already working on some of the things you mention. It does sound like 1.3 will be a big update.
I think I've reached my limit on sites I'm going to sign up for to talk about video games.

Just for clarification, I understand how the radar positioning works, I'm just saying a dedicated view for your current target would help. I guess I don't have that much trouble tracking a target once I see where it is, the problem is more when I'm cycling contacts and trying to figure out where the hell it is. It gets lost in a sea of yellow. Speaking of cycling contacts, what I really want more than anything is a 'cycle to next unclassified target' button. I never actually want to cycle through all contacts, and cycling through hostile contacts is only sort of useful.

Apparently one issue I was having is I accidentally turned on "disable UI camera lock-on" which made panel usage more painful than it should be with TrackIR. I thought maybe they just changed the behavior in a patch or something since I couldn't find the option in controls. Why this is in graphics and not controlsI can't fathom, I was only in that menu because I just learned about the "disable GUI effects" option which is definitely something I want. The constant popping in and out animation when I'm at the threshold for TrackIR panel activation was infuriating.

GeoGonzo

So, Michael Brooks posted "You can save your F5 key - there's no dev update this week - it's all being rolled up into a bumper newsletter and something else that I can't mention just yet!"

So, I'm guessing some magazine got an exclusive reveal of Power Play? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

DrBo42

So, Michael Brooks posted "You can save your F5 key - there's no dev update this week - it's all being rolled up into a bumper newsletter and something else that I can't mention just yet!"

So, I'm guessing some magazine got an exclusive reveal of Power Play? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Fuckin' called it.

DrBo42

Well, time for crow.

It begins

942d046d0793c24b7de5ce7e294156e4.jpg

10d7127d6509fbbb5baebe152c54f0e0.jpg

DrBo42

Holy shit a human face in Elite Dangerous.

Shocking, huh? Now imagine if we could actually talk with one on a contact screen.

Edit: The weekly play time required to influence these changes is going to cause some initial anger or disappointment I think.

Houndi101

Shocking, huh? Now imagine if we could actually talk with one on a contact screen.

Edit: The weekly play time required to influence these changes is going to cause some initial anger or disappointment I think.

Is it alot or little?
(Don't own the game yet)

JCtheMC

So uh, i've skimmed through the steam reviews and this thread a bit, and i'm wondering... how hard is this game to get into if you have never played anything like it? Visually it all looks very good, but i get the impression that controls and certain gameplay systems are very convoluted. Also the fact that it's an MMO with PvP makes me assume that i'll just get killed/shot a lot for the first 20-40 hours.

Could anyone succinctly sum up the pros and cons of playing this game as a new player?

frontieruk

Unknown. I'm saying that many can't put in hours during the week to feel part of this etc.

if it's like CG just participating will get you a reward of sorts, so though you won't get the biggest reward you'll still get something so a couple of hours will get you something.

DrBo42

So uh, i've skimmed through the steam reviews and this thread a bit, and i'm wondering... how hard is this game to get into if you have never played anything like it? Visually it all looks very good, but i get the impression that controls and certain gameplay systems are very convoluted. Also the fact that it's an MMO with PvP makes me assume that i'll just get killed/shot a lot for the first 20-40 hours.

Could anyone succinctly sum up the pros and cons of playing this game as a new player?

Firstly, the bolded isn't exactly true. There are two main travel modes in the game, normal flight and then supercruise. Normal flight is when you're flying into and out of stations, scanning ships for bounties in a resource extraction site (asteroid belts, rings etc) or nav beacons for combat zones. Only real danger here is another player or ship in a higher class/more combat capable vessel and typically they won't be interested in you and your sidewinder. If you're competing with them for bounties in that area, you might want to exercise caution.

Supercruise is your method of quickly flying within a system (flying from Earth to Jupiter for example). For someone to engage you in supercruise they have to first interdict you and pull you into normal flight. You can fight that interdiction with the onscreen UI target vector/controls or submit and run as soon as you hit normal flight. These instances with players are pretty rare and most people won't bother with you unless you're in a trading ship.

Pros: You're in a cheap sidewinder that can easily be replaced

Cons: Frustration with game systems until you do tutorials or watch some videos

The main thing is learning the controls and figuring out what exactly you want to do in the game whether that be combat, exploring, mining. Never hesitate to ask us any questions.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

For a new player who has never played a space sim before, there will be a learning curve for sure. It is a simulation game afterall, that said the UI is very well done and (once you are familiar with it) easy to use. Ship controls are outstanding, sound feedback is fantastic. For as complex as the game is it's very intuitive and seamless to actually play. New players should expect to fumble their way around the galaxy for a time at first learning things "the hard way". But honestly that's half the fun of the game too!

As for the MMO bit, yes the game is always online in one persistent online galaxy but there are two modes of play: open (with other people) and solo (just you and the AI ships), so you don't ever have to worry about PVP if you don't want to. AI ships will still attack you of course, but running away is always a viable strategy.

For a pros and cons of playing this game as a new player;

CONS:
- very open ended and not much guidance mission or story wise
- it's a simulation game, so a bit complex and deep
- huge galaxy, easy to get lost and confused

PROS:
- very open ended sandbox galaxy, free to play however you want!
- it's a simulation game so there is a lot to control and manage which keeps the game engaging
- huge galaxy!!!! so many stars to explore and solar systems to fly in / cause trouble in

DrBo42

In other news I need to farm 55 million today to buy an Anaconda. Shoot me a message in game if you want to farm some RES sites, CMDR DrBo42

Askani

Just FYI, BadNewsBaron on twitch is going to have "the community manager of Frontier Developments, Ed Lewis" on his stream this morning to talk about Elite and Powerplay and answer some questions.

kvk1

Power play sounds like it can be a political thing as well.

It'd be cool if factions, influence, etc. got some major love.

WOOOHOOOOO.

"We've had to add a lot to the galaxy map," User Interface Head Jon Pace says. "Powerplay is like a massive strategy boardgame, but our conflicts play out in three dimensions, and we have to make that readable for players. You can see all their borders, what kinds of systems they control, who their neighbours and enemies are, and how the map changes every week as the Powers make their moves.

Amazing.

Just FYI, BadNewsBaron on twitch is going to have "the community manager of Frontier Developments, Ed Lewis" on his stream this morning to talk about Elite and Powerplay and answer some questions.

This is live now!

http://www.twitch.tv/BadNewsBaron

Braben is doing an AMA tomorrow, as well.

Reddit Powerplay newsletter summary:

• When Powerplay launches, you'll be able to ally yourself with any one of a number of galactic Powers, earning valuable perks, reputation bonuses and credits for your allegiance.
  • Combat-focused players may choose to side with warlike Powers for combat missions and perks, while trade-focused players may prefer to side with a Power looking to expand their trade monopoly.
  • All week long players can perform actions to undermine enemy control over systems, fortify your territory against rivals attempting to undermine you, or prepare unoccupied systems for conquest. Systems prepared for takeover will become zones where duelling
  • Powers can attempt to expand their borders.
  • You can always be a trader or a miner or a pirate for your own ends, but by joining a Power you'll be afforded special rights and be rewarded for playing the way you already like to play.
  • Achieving a high rank affords you more votes and more control over the Power's actions each week. The most valued pilots will have a lot of say in where their Power goes next.
  • By joining a Power that supports your play style you'll get better deals, cheaper repair costs, reduced fines, increased values for exploration data and more
  • The initial selection of factions will rise to a maximum of twenty as players provide assistance to minor local forces; as those forces establish a foothold across a handful of systems, they may rise to become Powers in their own right.
  • "...you'll have license to attack anyone from a rival power in your own territory without incurring a bounty"

Burny

Well, the power play update with faction alignment and its indirect sector control sounds like it'll finally give Elite some depth and long time motivation for the very active players.

This really is a game that could stick around for the next ten years if Frontier plays it well. I'm looking forward to all the features that might come at some point.

kvk1

Can you still have both Empire and Federation Rank?

Yes - they are separate from the Powers system.

I kind of don't like this.

You should choose a side or stay neutral.

Or incur some kind of penalty for playing all factions.

This Elite dude is pretty annoying and the last 20 minutes have been a waste of time. Anyway, from the stream:

• You won't be prevented from gaining rank with more than one faction at a time (in case you wanted to get ranks high enough to purchase all ships), but these factions could be at odds with each other and the one you choose to support via Powerplay
  • You gain favor with a factor by completing certain activities each week; there is a cap to how many perks/how much favor you can gain per week
  • As you gain favor, you gain perks
  • If you don't contribute for a few weeks, you lose favor (and thus, the perks)
  • Player refueling is in 1.3
  • Your rank determines your number of votes per week (higher rank=more votes); you can vote to pick a system to invade or take action on
  • CC determine show many places a faction can try to take over at a time
  • Can "take over" system not just through war, but by transporting cargo (specific example: delivering propaganda materials to a station/system)
  • Player factions: "no comment". Said to tune into the AMA tomorrow and ask
  • They'll give a specific launch date in the coming weeks, but target is May
It sounds very robust, just wish we could have gotten more details.

I thought this, too, but it actually sounds more like you can have ranks with multiple factions, but if you choose to ally with one via Powerplay and that faction is at ends with another faction you have rank with, it could have adverse affects.

Each faction isn't going to be warring every other faction, after all.

SmartBase

The way you trade in ships in this game is great because it enables players to experiment with different setups with minimal loss, being locked into a faction would pretty much ruin that for faction specific ships since you can't test drive them.

I don't really care for the powerplay as much as the mission overhaul so hopefully the redditors actually ask Braben about it during his AMA tomorrow.

DrBo42

Are we not getting any drones to help with or augment exploration? I remember seeing that surface scan concept a few pages back but I want more. Would be cool if they actually put wing exploration mechanics in to efficiently map and survey. I know they talked about some form of that previously.

Sure hope you left enough cash to cover the insurance cost!

nah bruh. I just make sure to not overstay my welcome anywhere. I'm pretty adept at staying alive these days. I can't lose a 1v1 against anything but a human opponent at this point and even when I'm 3v1 vs AI (say an Anaconda and his 2 Cobra buddies), I'm dropping the Anaconda so fast my shields never hit 1 bar, let alone being in any real trouble.

By the time I find myself in a situation where I have to defend my life against a human opponent, I should be pretty tricked out. My powerplant is good to go now. Shield Generator is up next. Then FSD and Thrusters. Weapons....I feel are pretty good even now (burst laser hand-me downs from my Vulture and a couple of gimbaled autocannons).

It really does feel like I'm driving a boat, though. Particularly when landing. I used to just zip into and out of docks. Not so easy anymore. Well, until I get used to the momentum the thing generates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom