• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Yeah, I'm hoping exploration is gonna get some love in 1.4 or something. I am curious what those exploration perks for a Power will be, though.

Money and scan time are the only things I can think of.

Can someone link me the DDA archive thread? At work and can't get to it easily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can't imagine going back out and exploring. Really need to enhance it somehow. Super tedious and boring after a while.

Yeah, I'm hoping exploration is gonna get some love in 1.4 or something. I am curious what those exploration perks for a Power will be, though.

I think it needs work too but I still enjoy it. Something about the hunt for valuable discoveries that I like, but I also spend a lot of time looking for great photo ops too. Also once you get far enough out the lack of any other ships at all is so serene, seems to fit the deep space feeling so well, and it makes coming back to that first station so damn exciting.

DrBo42

I think it needs work too but I still enjoy it. Something about the hunt for valuable discoveries that I like, but I also spend a lot of time looking for great photo ops too. Also once you get far enough out the lack of any other ships at all is so serene, seems to fit the deep space feeling so well, and it makes coming back to that first station so damn exciting.

Yeah there are some wow moments out there for sure. Just wish there was actual science to do or something more elaborate you need to do for the more rare finds. Not sure what they would be, don't envy whoever is tasked on improving it.

It'll get pretty crazy when we can reach the surface.

kvk1

What if "life" migrated to far-out systems found by CMDRs that have earth-like planets?

Like, outposts started showing up or something. Maybe even named after the CMDR of discovery.

owlbeak

The biggest change to make to Exploration that will make it better is when they add planetary landings. When you can drop into a planet's atmosphere and fly around, it'll be amazing.

All this "non-celestials in deep space" talk is exciting. I'm one FSD upgrade away from a competent exploration ship, and finally found a system selling it last night. Time to do a lot of bounty hunting.

Last night also marked my first loss of a ship, and it was due to a poor choice of key bindings. My next-ui-tab and boost buttons are the same on my stick, and my gaze drifted from the left UI panel just as I meant to hit the next tab. Inside a starport. You know the rest.

The old motorcyclists' maxim rang true. No matter how good you are or how careful you are, one day you're gonna drop it.

Changed those keys immediately under a steady stream of expletives. Had JUST enough to cover the full rebuy. Very humbling to know just one errant button press had the potential to ruin hours of work. Not making that mistake again. Phew.

why do all the little ships get liveries?

actually I can answer that question myself. but why don't the more expensive ships get more too? I can't imagine it would be a lot of work to convert a livery from one ship to another once it's been created for any other ship.

According to FD, paint jobs are actually pretty complicated to add to ships. Don't know why.

kvk1

why do all the little ships get liveries?

actually I can answer that question myself. but why don't the more expensive ships get more too? I can't imagine it would be a lot of work to convert a livery from one ship to another once it's been created for any other ship.

Dunno, I'd love it if all the ships had them.

Though to be honest, when the Faction liveries ever make it out, I will be rocking those exclusively.

Dunno, I'd love it if all the ships had them.

Though to be honest, when the Faction liveries ever make it out, I will be rocking those exclusively.

Yup. Pretty excited at the thought of faction-specific/customized modules and weapons. Hopefully paintjobs don't take too long.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah there are some wow moments out there for sure. Just wish there was actual science to do or something more elaborate you need to do for the more rare finds. Not sure what they would be, don't envy whoever is tasked on improving it.

It'll get pretty crazy when we can reach the surface.

Yeah, when it comes to space exploration I wish that Elite had a little more of Kerbal Space Program in it. Maybe it will some day, that would be fun.

Joke's on you because its going to be the imperial princess! :p

iCsq8ga05kr6T.gif

DrBo42

Yeah, when it comes to space exploration I wish that Elite had a little more of Kerbal Space Program in it. Maybe it will some day, that would be fun.

KSP is exactly what I was thinking of. I'm actually kinda surprised exploration isn't more fleshed out, considering how enthusiastic Braben is about representing the galaxy as accurately as possible.

MrMuscle

How is this to get into if the last time you played anything remotely similar was Freespace? It looks really intriguing but also very complicated. I would be playing with a controller as well.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
And after going on a pretty decent run in an RES that happened to be pitch black.. I was about to leave and deposit my 1 million in bounties to the community goal when I spot a Federation Dropship 6k out that looks like it's getting hit by System Authority. So of course I boost towards it. As I get closer I notice that I'm heading right at an asteroid, I dive hard out of the way and also hit my down thruster. I think that it'll probably be a glancing blow, I thought I had slowed down... my shields were full. But no. Insta-death.

Between that and depositing another 500k at another station so that it doesn't count towards the goal... it was not a great day. I think my crash nullified all my profits in the past day. Along with the bullshit debug camera not working during docking crash the other day I'm pretty much running in place.

To anyone who believes in karma, just know that right before my unfortunate demise a random CMDR in a Cobra accidentally hit a neutral ship and got a bounty. I, having no PVP kills (or deaths for that matter, though one time when I got ganked it was pretty close) had the opportunity to finish him off as he boosted away with no shield and little hull remaining. Did I obliterate him for the paltry 400 credits? Nope, I let him go, even tried to fly in front of the System Authority weapons to make sure he got out. Where did that karma get me? Splattered on the side of an asteroid, that's where.

And after going on a pretty decent run in an RES that happened to be pitch black.. I was about to leave and deposit my 1 million in bounties to the community goal when I spot a Federation Dropship 6k out that looks like it's getting hit by System Authority. So of course I boost towards it. As I get closer I notice that I'm heading right at an asteroid, I dive hard out of the way and also hit my down thruster. I think that it'll probably be a glancing blow, I thought I had slowed down... my shields were full. But no. Insta-death.

Between that and depositing another 500k at another station so that it doesn't count towards the goal... it was not a great day. I think my crash nullified all my profits in the past day. Along with the bullshit debug camera not working during docking crash the other day I'm pretty much running in place.

To anyone who believes in karma, just know that right before my unfortunate demise a random CMDR in a Cobra accidentally hit a neutral ship and got a bounty. I, having no PVP kills (or deaths for that matter, though one time when I got ganked it was pretty close) had the opportunity to finish him off as he boosted away with no shield and little hull remaining. Did I obliterate him for the paltry 400 credits? Nope, I let him go, even tried to fly in front of the System Authority weapons to make sure he got out. Where did that karma get me? Splattered on the side of an asteroid, that's where.

You know the old saying, 'no good deed goes unpunished':p

I learned my lesson in the first few days about fighting in dark asteroid belts: don't. Even with your ship's headlights on, by the time you see an asteroid (if going at high speed), it's already too late for you to stop or change the direction of your momentum. I too lost about a million that day. And you know what? It'll never happen again and hasn't since.

There are some lessons in ED that I think you just have to learn the hard way. Shit like running out of fuel between jumps and fighting in pitch-black asteroid belts are among them.

How is this to get into if the last time you played anything remotely similar was Freespace? It looks really intriguing but also very complicated. I would be playing with a controller as well.
Beyond the fight and flying mechanics, it's nothing like Freespace.

It's not mission driven, there's no cohesive plot in-game, there's no strong alien or enemy force everyone is collectively fighting against. Elite is more of an open world experience. It is what you make it and most time is spent "farming" (and you can farm money in a bunch of ways) so that you can upgrade your ships capabilities and buy new ships. If you want to fight all the time and have a quasi-Freespace experience, you can do that. But understand that it will be without the drama and tension that came with the story-driven Freespace. If you get bored with the fighting, you can do several other things to generate revenue so that's nice.

Jedi2016

Never thought I could go toe-to-toe with an Anaconda and live. Did it three times in a RES just now.. hehe. And my Vulture isn't even fully upgraded yet.

DrBo42

Never thought I could go toe-to-toe with an Anaconda and live. Did it three times in a RES just now.. hehe. And my Vulture isn't even fully upgraded yet.

Grats! You can run circles around a Conda with that ship. With full pips to engines you're golden. A good strategy is to start the fight hugging the engines until the shields are down (it won't be able to bring guns on you) and then blast the plant.

Edit: General reminder for new GAF Pilots - Add your name to the player list/add the rest of us. Wing up!

DrBo42

Anyone in the Sol area that can respond to a Wing Beacon relatively soon? In a particularly profitable RES and don't want to lose it. Need ammo.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Made earning credits from the small number of ships that passed through easier because we weren't fighting for credits like dogs fighting over scraps. I didn't know that wings share the bounties and each member gets the total amount as long as you fire on the target.
Maybe I read this wrong, but each member doesn't get the total amount. Each member gets the total amount divided by the number of people getting it. I thought this sounded weird and exploitable, and sure enough, after testing a wing, bounties actually get split.

But, how do bounties get assigned when people are competing for them? I think I've read (maybe here) that it's last hit gets the spoils, but it seems to me it's going to whoever did the most (hull?) damage. I guess one problem with hopping into the game at this point after its been out for a while, on top of a long pre-release period, lots of stuff changed so sometimes I end up googling out of date information. For example people complain about NPCs stealing their kills, whereas it seems like if I do only a tiny bit of damage and an NPC does the rest of the work I still get bounty credit.

Maybe I read this wrong, but each member doesn't get the total amount. Each member gets the total amount divided by the number of people getting it. I thought this sounded weird and exploitable, and sure enough, after testing a wing, bounties actually get split.

Huh, we were splitting some large bounties then.

Jedi2016

Just made 2.8M in a single run through a tasty RES at Jupiter. Does anyone else do this in combat?:

Computer - "Target shields online"

Me - "Not for long..."

Even the big ships' shields melt in seconds against Class 3 lasers.

Askani

Just made 2.8M in a single run through a tasty RES at Jupiter. Does anyone else do this in combat?:

Computer - "Target shields online"

Me - "Not for long..."

Even the big ships' shields melt in seconds against Class 3 lasers.

"What are you carrying?
- Weapon blasts for your face.

"Don't worry, the scan doesn't hurt."
-Yeah, but this will.

"Give me your cargo!"
- I'm carrying laser bolts. Let me give you some.

"How do you dregs make a living?"
- By killing people like you.

Yeah...I do it too. lol

Shifty76

Lots of interesting discoveries today:
First undiscovered black hole that I've found in the same system as a neutron star.
Earthlike and two water worlds, also in a neutron star system.
4 black holes in one system now too!

Only 3k ly from the Great Annihilator so I'll go check that out too.

So many neutron stars now. 5 ly jumps between each, so 30-40 per hour. Should get some nice earnings from those. Haven't seen a discovered system in over a week now though I suspect that'll change as I get closer to the Annihilator and Sag A.

Faith

Too bad I sold my Oculus Rift. I won't play this game till the CV1 is out. Might be a year from now on.

But maybe it's also a good thing. By the time I get back there will be so much more content, right?

DrBo42

Too bad I sold my Oculus Rift. I won't play this game till the CV1 is out. Might be a year from now on.

But maybe it's also a good thing. By the time I get back there will be so much more content, right?

Look who's unbanned. Yeah if powerplay is any indication, the game will be in far better shape a year from now. We might even have EVAs or planetary landings by then.

Turns out only the first one was actually a black hole. The others LOOKED like black holes on the galaxy map, but were apparently gas giants.

Very bizarre

What's the reason for that color effect on the stars? Abundance of light at the galactic center? I can't even begin to remember or know why.

Shifty76

What's the reason for that color effect on the stars? Abundance of light at the galactic center? I can't even begin to remember or know why.

Yeah once you get close to the core the stars get way brighter. So many neutrons and white dwarves.

Apparently the reason my planets were black was because the system had no light source as the only star was a black hole. Makes sense.

Lots of interesting discoveries today:
First undiscovered black hole that I've found in the same system as a neutron star.
Earthlike and two water worlds, also in a neutron star system.
4 black holes in one system now too!

Only 3k ly from the Great Annihilator so I'll go check that out too.

So many neutron stars now. 5 ly jumps between each, so 30-40 per hour. Should get some nice earnings from those. Haven't seen a discovered system in over a week now though I suspect that'll change as I get closer to the Annihilator and Sag A.

Ok, that does it, I'm outfitting my Cobra for exploration right now. Haven't found an A4 FSD yet, but the B4 will suffice once I've lightened the ship from its current status as a bounty-hunting tank. Should be able to get 19LY per jump while maintaining good shields and defensive capabilities, just in case.

Had a great multi-million RES run last night with Pythons, Clippers, and Anacondas one after the other. Blow one up, target previous ship, and there was the next criminal, just that quickly. At one point a Type-9 came by to provide some "support"... this game can be so cinematic. Gonna take a break from the dogfighting grind and visit uncolonized space, then come back to buy an Asp and go farther, perhaps.

Shifty76

Ok, that does it, I'm outfitting my Cobra for exploration right now. Haven't found an A4 FSD yet, but the B4 will suffice once I've lightened the ship from its current status as a bounty-hunting tank. Should be able to get 19LY per jump while maintaining good shields and defensive capabilities, just in case.

Had a great multi-million RES run last night with Pythons, Clippers, and Anacondas one after the other. Blow one up, target previous ship, and there was the next criminal, just that quickly. At one point a Type-9 came by to provide some "support"... this game can be so cinematic. Gonna take a break from the dogfighting grind and visit uncolonized space, then come back to buy an Asp and go farther, perhaps.
Take the time to find the A grade FSD. At times you need 25+ jump range. Unless you want to back track anyway. Get the best scoop you can afford too.

Take the time to find the A grade FSD. At times you need 25+ jump range. Unless you want to back track anyway. Get the best scoop you can afford too.

I've been farming bounties in LHS 3505; has 3 RESs just 18LS from a high-tech, large population city whose outfitters have all the main A-grade modules but the FSD and fuel scoop. I went from a base-model Cobra to 8,000,000+ total investment in just a couple play sessions. Good stuff.

Any tips on where to find the A-grade FSDs? Same type starport, higher population?

Seems the Cobra could do 25LY per jump with all the lightweight D-grade accessories and an A4 FSD... and no weapons.

Shifty76

I've been farming bounties in LHS 3505; has 3 RESs just 18LS from a high-tech, large population city whose outfitters have all the main A-grade modules but the FSD and fuel scoop. I went from a base-model Cobra to 8,000,000+ total investment in just a couple play sessions. Good stuff.

Any tips on where to find the A-grade FSDs? Same type starport, higher population?

Yeah, high tech high pop stations. Your current one may even have them but could be temporarily out of stock.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there anyway to see the current cutoffs for community goal tiers? Trying to figure out if it's worth it to get in the top 5% on this HR 706 goal, which is the first one I've done. I've been oscillating between top 40 and top 15 mostly over the past couple of days, but got a few mil in padding so I'm up to like 13 mil. I also think it would be interesting to see how the cutoffs move as more players join the goal on the bottom end.

Shifty76

I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there anyway to see the current cutoffs for community goal tiers? Trying to figure out if it's worth it to get in the top 5% on this HR 706 goal, which is the first one I've done. I've been oscillating between top 40 and top 15 mostly over the past couple of days, but got a few mil in padding so I'm up to like 13 mil. I also think it would be interesting to see how the cutoffs move as more players join the goal on the bottom end.
No way to tell. FWIW though the last bounty hunting CG I had 35m in bounties which was only good for top 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom