• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloMeow

They need to make some rules for when players can enter Solo.

Solo should mainly be available for people who want to play solo consistently. Not for players who only use it to avoid players when it's convenient for them. A cooldown that requires you to wait for x hours after you've stopped playing open would be interesting.
Also cooldown timer penalties for combat logging and attacking other players.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Permanent rebuy penalties for bounties? I don't understand that one at all. They should be doing more to encourage PVP, not the other way around.

It's the ability to move back and forth that's the problem. A trader moving to solo when he starts to see combat ships in his trade route rather than finding another route is a problem for privateers. You're not going to see that high volume of cargo or ships from the NPCs. If you're running a combat bond cg you have no chance of actually competent members of the other faction working against you in solo. It is more a safe zone absolutely. Then when you've made your fortune and want to come back and work against players etc you can. It's not a good system.

Fair points, but until Powerplay is in effect, "privateer" is just a euphemism for pirate, so let's call them what they are. I have no sympathy for their troubles, just as they have none for mine. That everyone has an equal opportunity to play the way that best suits his/her idea of fun (this is a game after all) while still being able to contribute to and reap the benefits of community goals makes it a fair system if not a "good" one. Diehard open-players just come off a bit whiny in the solo/open debate, blowing the so-called adverse effects of solo players out of proportion. Combat logging is a different story altogether, and something should be done to prevent folks engaged with hostiles from just up and quitting. That said, I always wanted more than just NPCs in my colonized space, so I've never touched solo play, but the huge private group I play in is the perfect middle ground for me. No jerks so far. Just how I like my human interaction.

And that's with full power to weapons? I gave those same beams a bounty hunting run in the Vulture last night with an A4 power plant and A5 coupler (both of those are smaller than what your Clipper can fit) and with full pips to weapons, they melted through an Anaconda's power plant in 2-3 full charges with both beams active, 2 charges with just 1 beam active. Smaller ships were a laugh--just one of the large beams could cut through a high-level Cobra/Viper's shields and cripple its power plant with just one full charge. Helps to remain within one km of your target or so. Either way, it's nice of Frontier to give us full value on part exchanges when outfitting, so you can go back to the bursts without losing any moneys.

Yep that remains the case with them on the Clipper. But the point is that they aren't any more impressive than the $500k gimbaled burst lasers. Or they have yet to prove themselves to be so far. Did you try gimbaled bursts out on your vulture? They also provide a laughable experience...but for about $4 million less. Like, Anaconda's popping with 70% hull in tact but with power plant down to 0% in so few burst volleys I don't have to wait to recharge.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Solo should mainly be available for people who want to play solo consistently. Not for players who only use it to avoid players when it's convenient for them. A cooldown that requires you to wait for x hours after you've stopped playing open would be interesting.

I honestly feel the way it is now is perfect. People who want to play solo only can do so easily. People who end up getting ganked or camped can quickly change to solo, jump a few systems away, and then effortlessly go back into open. It's the player's choice with zero penalties for playing the way they want to, and I like that.

Really the only people who are truly hurt by the current design are the pirates who are out to gank other players. For everyone else it's a non-issue.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I haven't found the gimballed beams for my Clipper yet, well I have some Class 2s, and currently burst for C3. I don't know, I wish there were C3 multicannons. Maybe I'll try gimballed cannons if I can find some. I want the ability to just obliterate something once its shields go down.

Yep that remains the case with them on the Clipper. But the point is that they aren't any more impressive than the $500k gimbaled burst lasers. Or they have yet to prove themselves to be so far. Did you try gimbaled bursts out on your vulture? They also provide a laughable experience...but for about $4 million less. Like, Anaconda's popping with 70% hull in tact but with power plant down to 0% in so few burst volleys I don't have to wait to recharge.

Damn, I need to try them when I get home then. I didn't bother as I think the game was actually showing them with lower DPS as compared to the beams? And the way the DPS is shown on edshipyard isn't entirely helpful either. I wish the game would give us concrete numbers there rather than the incremented bar. You may be right about the beams doing more hull damage, though--I definitely didn't make any Anaconda's go boom with more than 45-50% hull remaining.

Really the only people who are truly hurt by the current design are the pirates who are out to gank other players. For everyone else it's a non-issue.
this guy gets it

Damn, I need to try them when I get home then. I didn't bother as I think the game was actually showing them with lower DPS as compared to the beams? And the way the DPS is shown on edshipyard isn't entirely helpful either. I wish the game would give us concrete numbers there rather than the incremented bar. You may be right about the beams doing more hull damage, though--I definitely didn't make any Anaconda's go boom with more than 45-50% hull remaining.
hell yea bro. try it today and let me know what you thought of it. Clippers, Pythons and Anacondas go boom so fast you just end up giggling.

frontieruk

Permanent rebuy penalties for bounties? I don't understand that one at all. They should be doing more to encourage PVP, not the other way around.

Penalising people playing like dicks is good for the community PvP players have had the lions share of improvements, easier to interdict, reduced combat ship costs, power play will be making federation area's open season against factions with no repercussions from the law. Making their choices about who they gank tied to bounty/rebuy cost will hopefully make them consider actually robbing the guys they interdict rather than just kill cmdrs for fun.

Burny

It's the ability to move back and forth that's the problem. A trader moving to solo when he starts to see combat ships in his trade route rather than finding another route is a problem for privateers. You're not going to see that high volume of cargo or ships from the NPCs. If you're running a combat bond cg you have no chance of actually competent members of the other faction working against you in solo. It is more a safe zone absolutely. Then when you've made your fortune and want to come back and work against players etc you can. It's not a good system.

IMO this is too limited, reactive thinking for the game's balance. Even more so, when it comes from a "privateer"'s perspective. The free switching between the modes is an excellent system, which prevents nobody actively from playing how and when they want.

Pirating in it's very nature is an extremely aggressive act, which makes it a problematic "profession" in Elite. You forcefully try to take something from somebody. In case of the trader-pirate "factions" in Elite, it's a one-sided parasitic relationship, which borders on unprovoked harassment, even in its best role-played form. After all, you often have to pull somebody from super cruise, pressure them into abandoning their cargo and/or possibly attack and kill them.

It's then a very weak standpoint to argue that people shouldn't be able to get shiny things unharrassed and carry them over into open play. Piracy is a form of stealing and robbery after all, even in the game's context. Should people preferring to mainly play alone be hindered in any way to join open play whenever they want, because ingame pirates are starved for prey? Hardly.

Any jealousy of those people who enter open play only after they have aquired their big ships in private play is also misplaced. Anybody is able to get their ships in solo if they prefer so. What effect on balance does that ultimately have? Everybody plays the same metagame, so everybody has the same opportunities and nobody is restricted. Taking away that possibility would just make it harder to get to the big stuff. Eventually, people would still get there though. This would just shift the meta game's focus in open play to more dedicated players and possibly lock out the less active players.

There are much more interesting subjects for balance. Why is piracy considered such an important, commonly accessible or desirable part of the game? Considering it's aggressive nature, which actively breaks the flow of whatever the "victim" player is doing, it should be a rare phenomenon, not a base profession every other pilote in the galaxy can pursue for a living. In contrast, a trader's profession in itself is not forcing them to interfer with anybody else in open mode, nor is a miner's profession, nor is a bounty hunter's profession as long as they're farming spawned pirates at a RES.

HelloMeow

I honestly feel the way it is now is perfect. People who want to play solo only can do so easily. People who end up getting ganked or camped can quickly change to solo, jump a few systems away, and then effortlessly go back into open. It's the player's choice with zero penalties for playing the way they want to, and I like that.

That's unfair towards other players. Piracy and bounty hunting are part of the game in open. Imagine looking for players with a bounty, finding one and then losing them, because they went to solo the first chance they got.

It's fine if you don't want to face the potential danger of other players. Just join a group or go solo. Just decide before you start playing the game. Not while you're being chased and when you'll ruin the game for other people. I think forcing players to make that choice beforehand could improve the game.

Shifty76

That's unfair towards other players. Piracy and bounty hunting are part of the game in open. Imagine looking for players with a bounty, finding one and then losing them, because they went to solo the first chance they got.

It's fine if you don't want to face the potential danger of other players. Just join a group or go solo. Just decide before you start playing the game. Not while you're being chased and when you'll ruin the game for other people. I think forcing players to make that choice beforehand could improve the game.

Agreed. That's why I get annoyed at the vocal pvp crowd who want solo or private groups didabled, or at the least penalized compared to open play.

They can play their way, I'll play mine. One doesn't invalidate the other, or make one of them the "wrong" way to play.

Burny

Forcing a choice in the game's current, very time intensive nature is not a good thing, because it locks people out of large portions of the game, unless they play it twice. The term "forcing" already is not a good thing.

Even if the fleeing player from above example can't escape into closed mode, they can still simply log off and come back later. In return, a player having chosen to play closed mode can't just join a couple of friends in open mode.

Imagine going to a resource extraction site and having an endless supply of bounties to claim!

Your hypothetical player with a bounty running away will have had to get that bounty somehow, and will have had to do many bad things to make it worth the chase. Like pirating. Those are typically the same types of players who argue against solo play. So yeah, playing with cowardly hypocrites would be no fun at all. Which brings me back to being happy we all have a choice in the matter.

Pomerlaw

Pwnmqid.jpg

Oh I finally remembered to take stock of the stuff on my Clipper.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=603,4zh4zh7u57u501Q3wU0_g0_g,2-9i8I888I9Y886k,0AA7Uc7go7go9sK4wO02M03w

Code:
[Imperial Clipper]
L: 3C/G Beam Laser
L: 3C/G Beam Laser
M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0C Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0A Shield Booster

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 6B Power Plant
TM: 5C Thrusters
FH: 5B Frame Shift Drive
EC: 5C Life Support
PC: 6A Power Distributor
SS: 5B Sensors
FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

7: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
6: 6C Shield Generator
4: 4A Shield Cell Bank
4: 4A Shield Cell Bank
3: 3D Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
3: 1B Fuel Scoop
2: 2D Hull Reinforcement Package
2: 2D Hull Reinforcement Package

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Just doing bounty hunting. Currently saving for upgraded armor. Other things won't need to be upgraded until my hull weight is higher.

Ugh. Can't wait to rack up a bunch of permanent fines because I totally forgot that picking up X in the middle of space is a damn crime.

Planning on getting back in soon though, if they fix that stutter. That stutter kills it for me, since I play exclusively with the Rift.

GeoGonzo

Ugh. Can't wait to rack up a bunch of permanent fines because I totally forgot that picking up X in the middle of space is a damn crime.

Planning on getting back in soon though, if they fix that stutter. That stutter kills it for me, since I play exclusively with the Rift.
You can still pay to get rid of fines if you don't have a bounty: These would not add any permanent fine. In fact, you now have seven days to pay those fines instead of a few hours.

But yes, I'm also looking forward to the new shader thing. :)

Nymerio

It'd be even better if you could contact a nearby authority vessel to pay off fines or bounties up to a specific amount.

Shifty76

Only 500 LY to go to get to Sag A so I'll hit that up tonight. Had one brown pants moment where I misjudged where a neutron star was and got emergency dropped and that horrible canopy cracking sound. 20,000 LY from civilization = death if that blows.

Need to be real careful from now on as I estimate I have 100m or so worth of exploration data by now and losing that would mean 2 weeks of exploring wasted.

Portman

Only 500 LY to go to get to Sag A so I'll hit that up tonight. Had one brown pants moment where I misjudged where a neutron star was and got emergency dropped and that horrible canopy cracking sound. 20,000 LY from civilization = death if that blows.

Need to be real careful from now on as I estimate I have 100m or so worth of exploration data by now and losing that would mean 2 weeks of exploring wasted.

Dang this is making me want to go exploring! I'm tempted to stop working my way up with the Empire towards the Clipper and go for an Asp to see if I can outfit it with my current funding and try out exploring. But at the same time if I keep working my way up I can earn the Clipper and have some reputation to go along with it plus get some Wing action once you're back in local space.

One thing I've been debating for whenever I go exploring is to look up some guides and paths to start or if I should just pick a direction and head out for a bit and then increase my distance with each trip after that. Any suggestions from the explorers?

GeoGonzo

Newsletter is out!

Diamonback cockpit is shown, and the ship itself is described as a "reasonably-priced" combat-explorer ship.

Not a whole lot, otherwise--summary of QA w/Braben, and a 25% discount on all ship paints this weekend.

Can't wait to buy some paintjobs for my An... oh, right.

Anyway, that cockpit looks great... and like other Lakon ships the visibility seems excelent, which should be great for a combat ship.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Newsletter is out!

Diamonback cockpit is shown, and the ship itself is described as a "reasonably-priced" combat-explorer ship.

Not a whole lot, otherwise--summary of QA w/Braben, and a 25% discount on all ship paints this weekend.

Oohh, so it's a combat explorer? It will probably be a downgrade from the Asp but I'm still interested. It is a sweet looking ship.

rav

I bought this on steam yesterday, and I only have a logitech 3d joystick. I haven't had time to even install it yet, but would like to when I get some free time.
Dumb question:
Should I wait to get a new joystick? or suffer with the logitech 3d for now?
I'm thinking: Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
I play other flight stick games too, used to play a ton of bf3 as a helicopter pilot :)

Hah, I did the same on my first approach to a neutron star. Didn't realize just how tiny they'd still appear even when a few tenths of a light-second away. Good luck on your return!

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Just doing bounty hunting. Currently saving for upgraded armor. Other things won't need to be upgraded until my hull weight is higher.

Sticking with the beams after all? Those + the multicannons will probably eat through hull in no time. If you want more armor in the meantime though, you could run with MUCH more currently for almost $300k less on total build cost (200% additional armor in hull reinforcement packages on top of the reinforced bulkheads), but you'd have to sacrifice your shield cells for D4 hull reinforcements, swap the cargo rack for D5 hull reinforcement, swap the beams for bursts, drop the powerplant/distributor one letter rating, and bump the thrusters up one rating to B5s to offset the additional weight. Would still be good on power, still have the same shield boosters and shield generator, but you'd have quite a tank beneath them. You'd probably never need those shield cells anyway unless fighting an Anaconda unassisted, but the additional armor would definitely stand up long enough to kill its power plant without much fuss should your shields go down completely.

So I'm very very very much interested in the Diamondback now that they've revealed it's a dual-purpose explorer/fighter. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I hope it's an upgrade rather than a downgrade from the Asp... at least one large hardpoint would be greeeaaaattt. Or 3 mediums, even.

Should I wait to get a new joystick? or suffer with the logitech 3d for now?
I'm using the same stick and it's more than adequate, but VoiceAttack definitely helps with freeing up the buttons for all the essentials for the ship. The only thing I absolutely didn't like at all about it was the tiny little flappy throttle nub, so I "fixed" it for more precision. Shimmed the throttle flap with a few layers of masking tape to hold up to the extra weight and provide a smooth but firmer range of motion.
Who needs a HOTAS when you have Lowes?

One thing I've been debating for whenever I go exploring is to look up some guides and paths to start or if I should just pick a direction and head out for a bit and then increase my distance with each trip after that. Any suggestions from the explorers?
Just pick a direction and go! You may need to get a good distance out (1,200LY or so now) before you start consistently bagging first discoveries. The galaxy map will only let you plan a route up to 1,000LY away, so what I do is pick out a star roughly 1,000LY away in the direction I want to travel, plot a route to it, then pick one that's roughly 2k LY away, write down its name, and so on to build a list of "checkpoint" stars, so I can roughly plan my route before the in-game galaxy map will let me. I usually try to loop around and pick a different set of checkpoints for the return trip just to maximize my exploration profits. Be prepared to be in it for the long haul--once you're out there, there's no quick way back. Maybe test the waters with some 1500-2000LY round trips to see how you like it. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone--I know a lot of people who would probably be bored to tears by it. Fully scanning a large system can take quite some time as well.

Another good tip--go into the galaxy map, switch to map view, show stars by type, and select only the O, M, F, G, K, A, and B type stars. These are your fuel depots. Don't let yourself get caught out there without enough fuel to make your next set of jumps! I got into an area with a LOT of brown dwarfs on my last run and made it to a class M star for fuel by the skin of my teeth. Scary moment.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I had an old old Logitech Wingman 3D Digital or whatever. Old enough to where it has a gameport connection and the USB compatibility is through a dongle. It's terrible. If the newer budget Logitechs are in the same league I would abandon ship as soon as possible.

But, at the same time, I kind of wonder what's going to come out of Star Citizen. From what I understand they're looking into making some kind of official high end controller, and really with the way people just throw money at that game I can't imagine that every serious peripheral maker wouldn't take a crack at something Star Citizen specific. What I'm getting at is that with the similarities in all the 6DOF stuff in these two games, it seems like the best ED controller is going to be something that's made for Star Citizen.

For now my hand-me-down X52 should be good enough. I've thought about the Rhino once or twice, or maybe even the crazy expensive Thrustmaster Warthog as I've got into DCS a bit, but I feel like I should wait to see what comes out of Star Citizen before I commit to a final flight stick solution.

Shifty76

Another good tip--go into the galaxy map, switch to map view, show stars by type, and select only the O, M, F, G, K, A, and B type stars. These are your fuel depots. Don't let yourself get caught out there without enough fuel to make your next set of jumps! I got into an area with a LOT of brown dwarfs on my last run and made it to a class M star for fuel by the skin of my teeth. Scary moment.

I prefer KGB FOAM. Easier to remember:)

I've yet to emergency drop into a star on approach. I'm very diligent about zeroing the throttle at the FSD countdown.

All the drops I've had were from accelerating to jump to the next system and getting too close to the neutron (real easy to do when you don't have the damn thing targeted as they're impossible to pick out compared to distant stars)

I've yet to emergency drop into a star on approach. I'm very diligent about zeroing the throttle at the FSD countdown.

lol, yeah, my first neutron wasn't the primary star in the system, so I was supercruising out to it. I thought I was just easing up to it after coming into scan range. Trying to get a better view of it, not paying the distance much attention, when suddenly... alarms ringing, ship spinning, everything going to hell around me, all over that tiny little pinhead of a star. Didn't show the little beast enough respect.

Askani

I see that the two new Community Goals directly pit players against each other. I've only recently started to really pay attention to CGs. Is this the fist time they've done this? Glad that the concepts they want to really flesh out in Power Play is already being started in the game today.

EDIT :::::

Weird, I can accept the mission for the CG but when I go to the Conflict Zone, only one faction is there with about forty ships all flying in a wide circle.

Sticking with the beams after all? Those + the multicannons will probably eat through hull in no time. If you want more armor in the meantime though, you could run with MUCH more currently for almost $300k less on total build cost (200% additional armor in hull reinforcement packages on top of the reinforced bulkheads), but you'd have to sacrifice your shield cells for D4 hull reinforcements, swap the cargo rack for D5 hull reinforcement, swap the beams for bursts, drop the powerplant/distributor one letter rating, and bump the thrusters up one rating to B5s to offset the additional weight. Would still be good on power, still have the same shield boosters and shield generator, but you'd have quite a tank beneath them. You'd probably never need those shield cells anyway unless fighting an Anaconda unassisted, but the additional armor would definitely stand up long enough to kill its power plant without much fuss should your shields go down completely.
Interesting. I've only spent about an hour in the game since we last discussed the matter so I haven't had much opportunity to evaluate the matter of the beams vs lasers just yet. But I'll definitely keep this spec in mind. Ty sir.

frontieruk

I see that the two new Community Goals directly pit players against each other. I've only recently started to really pay attention to CGs. Is this the fist time they've done this? Glad that the concepts they want to really flesh out in Power Play is already being started in the game today.

EDIT :::::

Weird, I can accept the mission for the CG but when I go to the Conflict Zone, only one faction is there with about forty ships all flying in a wide circle.

You've picked a faction once in the conflict zone right?

Askani

You've picked a faction once in the conflict zone right?

Yep. I accepted the CG for "The People's Quivira for Equality Party" (because screw the Empire). In the Faction list in the zone, there's only one option to pick and it's the faction I signed up with. Unsure if that's a coincidence or not.

Well I did it: Made it to Sagittarius A.
Nice! That's one hell of a trip. Are you going to continue exploring on the return or make a beeline back to sell data? I wonder how many pages you've racked up by now!

I'm headed toward the outskirts rather than the center, in the general direction of the Soul Nebula, and am already in uncharted territory just 900LY from my base in Hatmehing, so this trip should pay off well. Going to attempt to cross over into the next arm of the galaxy if my ship can make it.

Shifty76

Nice! That's one hell of a trip. Are you going to continue exploring on the return or make a beeline back to sell data? I wonder how many pages you've racked up by now!

I'm headed toward the outskirts rather than the center, in the general direction of the Soul Nebula, and am already in uncharted territory just 900LY from my base in Hatmehing, so this trip should pay off well. Going to attempt to cross over into the next arm of the galaxy if my ship can make it.

Started the trip home but will spend time scanning any neutron star fields that I skipped on the way out. Leave for vacation on Thursday so hoping to be back by then.

Stats say 4000 systems visited, so maybe 3600 this trip? Divide that by 20 and you get 180 pages. Will likely hit up another 2k systems on the way home though so I'd guesstimate 300-400 pages worth of data with probably 90% of them being "first discoveries"

I'm in Quivira fighting for People's Equality and it looks like the "giant fleet" bug has been fixed. Lots of Anacondas and Clippers in the High Intensity Conflict Zone near Godel.

Jedi2016

But... long live the Federation? What's this stupid "peace" thing that I have to go begging for table scrap Anacondas at RESs in the central systems? I suppose it'll give me time to finish upgrading my Vulture, though.. hehe. And I can always go gallivanting around the galaxy in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom